Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    If you're gauging torque while removing a nut/bolt, the wrench will always read higher than the actual tightening torque at first. I don't think you can accurately measure torque when first loosening a bolt or nut, because of the high level of static friction in the threads. Same reason you cannot accurately re-torque an already tightened nut/bolt. You really have to get past the initial "sticking" for a torque wrench to be accurate.

Craig
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    so what is the 'proper' method for re-torqueing lug nuts?

I've always loosened them a bit and then tightened/torqued, only one at a time. Is it better to loosen the lug fully?

-Brian
  • ffsteveffsteve Posts: 243
    "I don't change the oil, I just keep adding it"

Loved your reference, but it didn't originate with old Subarus. I've used it for many years when talking about my Corvair!

steve
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Both are flat sixes :) hee hee

My uncle has 2 corvairs.

-mike
    I don't know the proper way to re-torque premounted wheels, as I have only ever torqued lugs from scratch (when the wheel is off first). In this case, I usually snug up the lugs with the lug wrench first, and then go around in the star pattern with my torque wrench for the final tightening.

I think re-torqueing would only be a problem if the initial turn (where the sticking-friction is high) exceeded the desired torque setting. If the wrench can get past this point and then creep up to the desired torque, I think you're OK.

By the way, I'm basing this info on the safety procedures we have at work for torqueing nuts and bolts. I think it's correct in general, but it may be that there are different rules for lugs.

Craig
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Call the dealer and they will set up the appointment with the District Service Manager. He makes rounds of all the dealers in his area and usually hits all of them at least once a month. They will be able to find out when he's there next. You just have to work your schedule around his. When you meet him, he will have studied your case. Then you just go over the details with him.

If they give you a hard time trying to set up a meeting, just call SoA and tell them. They'll set it up as a last resort.

I had always heard good things about Liberty Subaru in Oradell. Someone recently posted on this board that they were having problems there. I still think they have about the best reputation in that area though.
    You could also try i-club.com. There's a Dealer Forum and also a Tri-State Area Forum. You could search and/or post in those forums for N. Jersey dealer info.

Dennis
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    I have a question related to a driving technique I have used for snow and ice for 25 years. I spent 4 years along the Canadian boarder in the '70's and learned some things from a rally driver friend. Basically it entails using the hand operated parking brake to make the rear end step out abruptly. It is ideal for making a tight radius turn under conditions when the normal vehicle tendency would be to understeer and plow ahead. A turn of the wheel accompanied by a controlled pull on the rear brakes (with light throttle to make the fronts track where you point them) can make a car corner in powdered snow better than on dry pavement. While it works best on FWD, I used a modified version of it on my old RWD Datsun. It has saved my butt several times on nasty back country roads, but you had best practice it first in a parking lot before you try it for real!

My question is whether this can be done on an OB (non VDC) without damaging the center diff? This would force a substantial rotational speed difference between front and rear for a short duration. Any thoughts from the mechanically inclined?

Steve
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    while I seriously doubt subaru of america would advocate this for liability reasons, there should be NO problem with this manuever as long as you're in slippery conditions.

if you have a manual tranny the handbrake slide also works better if you depress the clutch.

-Colin
    For clarification it is an H4 automatic

Steve
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I learned the same technique back in the '60s. I tried it in my Forester last winter and it worked quite well. As Colin said I would use it only in very slippery conditions. Enjoy, I did.

Ross
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Many posts have mentioned the 1/4" diameter difference between tires on AWD cars. I cannot find this mentioned in the Subaru owner's manual. Isn't the differential supposed to handle such differences?

I measured the diameters of my spare and regular tires and it looks like a 1/2" difference in diameter between the two. Does that mean using the spare damages the car????

Is there a solid technical explanation for the 1/4" comments?

Thanks
    here is basically the explaination as I know it. It's ok to drive with an odd sized tire (such as the spare) for a short period. Most spares are only good for 50 miles @ <50mph. On AT subies you are supposed to put the FWD fuse in to turn off AWD when doing this. On MTs it's not possible to do it. For the short term there is no damage that will occur.

However in the long term, by having a different diameter tire, you are constantly sending a signal to the AWD syatem (either AT or MT) that that particular tire is slipping because that 1/2 shaft or that ABS sensor will be spinning at a faster rate than the other 1/2 shafts. Long term effects of this can be devistating on the AWD system and lead to a diminished life.

On my Trooper I have an actual torque split guage on my dash, and when I had put on a tire that was 1/2" smaller than the other 3 (due to wear on it) I immediately noticed that the AWD system's torque was constantly going whacky, I also had problems shifting it from 4wd Lo to AWD as well. I thought that it was a problem with my AWD system and brought it to the dealer. After much research they measured the tires and found one to be different than the others. I hadn't told them I put on a tire that was "odd" but as soon as the put my spare on which had similar wear as the tires on there, probelm solved. The Trooper AWD system is similar to the AT version of the subie one, except that it puts 85% power to the rear and 15% as a std split with up to a 50/50 split overall.

I used to be of the camp of "how could such a small difference in tire sizes have that much effect?" But after that situation I've learned how technical new cars and the AWD systems are in particular.

-mike
    Paisan is correct that it is the circumference which needs to be within 1/4" (I had also mistakenly thought they said diameter). Here is a link to a Subaru web page which mentions the spec:

http://www.subaru.com/home/faqs/faq_tech.html#cookies

The new tire I put on my Outback (5-spd) is 1/8" greater in diameter, based on measuring the tread depth (assumes all else is equal among tires). This works out to pi/8 ~ 3/8" greater circumference, which is outside the 1/4" spec. The car runs fine, but I am thinking I should go and get three more new tires now . . . . .

Craig

Craig don't use that. I had the same tires, (Make, model, tread, size, etc) One was an OEM one, the other was one that was made earlier and no OEM. Their tread depts were aprox the same. I believe you need to jack up the car, and use a string to measure the actual circumference.

-mike
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Craig & Mike,
    Thanks for the reply and especially the link. I'm surprised that this isn't in the owner's manual.
    Jim
    Colin & Ross,

Thanks for the reply. The last thing I want to do is rip the center diff apart on my nice new car! After giving it some thought, I think keeping my foot off the gas would be better for the car (less applied torque to the mechanicals) until the brake is released.

Steve
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    changed the oil & filter, cleaned the airfilter (AMSOil), and the big thing... flushed the heck out of the coolant system and converted to DexCool antifreeze.

I'm set for now until it's time to change tires!

-Colin
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Did you run a hose into it and flush it out? You need a kit to do that properly, right?

I rotated the tires this weekend, but found an oil leak on the 626. :-( Haven't traced it yet.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    That reminds me, I need to clean out my Amsoil filter too. I found it's a lot easier if you pre-heat the oil before applying it to the filter.

Colin -- do you run dedicated winter tires?

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Out of curiosity, how do you clean them? Did you get a spray cleaner with the oil in a kit?

I clean foam air fitlers for lawn mowers and stuff like that with a solvent, but it's messy and you need time for it to dry.

Here are the tire rotation photos I promised. OCD Club Members will get a kick out of the waxed wheels. You gotta admit they look good for 14k miles, though.

-juice