Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Is that a Phase II on the 2000 Forester? If it's a Phase I, his problem doesn't surprise me at all.

Ed driving agressively in the PB? Lol. I was about to fall asleep driving behind him for a little while. :-p
    (no offense, Ed :-D). I drove more aggressively down the NJ Turnpike.

Meanwhile, my 1 y.o. clutch is starting to squeak from the tranny area again. :-(

-Dennis
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Phase II, yes. Not offended, Dennis; I took it really easy most of the time, only up to 50 in a couple of the stretches after I let juice get far enough ahead of me. I wasn't sure what the car was capable of (I am now) and I didn't know the terrain. I certainly drive faster on the Interstates and turnpikes, but I have never subjected the car to the kind of hard driving that one may do on a track day.

I have had sufficient time to calm down now, but I'm still unhappy about it.

Ed

PS: paisan: "chisel chest"?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I've heard that people "bust out Superman" when they get angry but never "chisel chest".

-juice
  • It does it with a simple turn of the wheel while parking.
    No cranking from lock to lock here. Just turning the wheel
    about 90 degrees will envoke surging. Let me tell you I
    am babying this car!
  • Sounds like Piasan likes "Jerky Boys".

They are funny as heck!!!!!!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 362
    Same thing happened to my friends 99 Forester at 30K. The dealer fixed it and had no problems since then. Look at the bright side, the cooling fluid needs to be changed at 30K, and when they do the heads they must put in new fluid, so as long as it is under warranty it should not cost you a penny.
    Thanks, Steve. In this case I will have had the fluid replaced at 29,xxx and 31,600 miles. '99 has the same block that I have.

BTW gang, I sat in a WRX wagon (WR Blue, manual) in the showroom for about 15 minutes - longer than I got to at the Philly Auto Show. The seat back bolsters are very comfy, the steering wheel is the nicest I've ever gripped, and I found a nice driving position, but I'm humbled to admit that I probably need to lose about 20 pounds to fit comfortably within the seat cushion bolsters. The dealer claimed that all WRXes on the lot except the one on the floor were sold, but "if I wanted to order one now it would come in in 4-5 weeks." Sheesh. Don't guess I'll be test driving one there.

Ed
    Nice to look at the bright side on occasion, Steve. :-)

I had the brake master cylinder replaced during a recall campaign, and I liked that they basically replaced (instead of me bleeding) my brake fluid.

Ed: you could always get Sparcos.

-juice
    Since last year I had snow packed inside the wheels of my 01 Legacy GT (therefore lots of vibration and shaking), I started looking for a winter wheel/tire combo, with narrower rims and higher profile tires for better snow traction. After speaking with several dealers and the Subaru customer service I was told it is a known problem and currently there is no alternative. The 15" steel rims for the Legacy L will not clear my GT brakes. So I am down to purchasing low profile snow tires to be mounted on factory rims. At first I was going to get the Dunlop WInter SPort M2, but one dealer told me Nokians are superior tires. So what tires I get and what do I do to keep snow/ice off the inside of the wide rims?
    If you wax the wheels, the slush tends to not stick to them.

Worked wonder for me last year. My 16" alloys stayed clean all season, while my steelies the year before had accumulated slush once or twice.

I'd get a 2nd set of rims, so you don't have to keep remounting them. Either a used set of alloys from another Subie, or take-off steel wheels from TireRack.com.

Or look for specials from discounttiredirect.com. I found 16"x7"s for $75 a pop. You could even get 17"s with summer tires and save the 16" set for the snows. Just did a quick search and found several different rims for $125 per at the 17" size.

-juice
  • hey I don't know if these wheels clear the brakes ( maybe i'll need to check myself) but the price is great, the looks beat steel rims:p

nice guys at serious as well beats chainstore/shoe salesmen. they have lots of stuff that works great on GTs/OBs: horns, interior light delays, driving lights...

</plug>

http://www.seriousauto.com/wheels-tires/sub-zero/index.htm

steve-v

santa cruz

Boy, I thought you guys lit into me when I complained about the gasket leaks. You should see what happened at i-club. Just nasty, including "I hate the way you think" from a Honda mechanic who didn't think I trusted techs to get the job done right the first time. I guess to him first time didn't include from the factory.

I'm getting the feeling that you can't be critical of Subarus to other Subaru owners, or air your concerns and not get ripped for overreacting. Maybe I don't need to post here and at i-club.

juice: I'd rather have incentive to lose weight than to just buy bigger seats.

'Bye for now,
    Ed
    I just get a set of snows and will mount them on the factory rims. I was going to buy the Dunlop WInter Sport M2, but someone suggested looking into the Nokian tires, they supposed to be better at the same price. Anyone had experience with Nokians?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Lark, I was just bustin your nutz a little :) Side note, Ed did pick up the pace in the afternoon run of the pine barrens. He and juice were a fly behind me.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    mike - Ssshh. We don't want another Fido on our hands. ;-)

Ed, just go to Flemington on a Saturday. You can make a day trip out of it. Lots of outlets, an Amish Farmers market with lots of food/crafts and great bbq pork and a WRX you can actually test drive.

Dennis
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I think you are justified to be upset about this, I know I would be. I owned a string of zero-trouble Hondas from the late 80s until 2000, and everything else gets measured against this high bar. As much as I love my Subaru, I would be dissapointed if something major were to go wrong. But problems do happen on every make of car. The true measure of the situation is how you feel after they have fixed everything. If they do their job correctly, this will be a minor hiccup over the life of your car.

I do hope you continue to post your honest and frank thoughts. We need to focus on reality here! Never mind about the OCD and other delusional behavior . . .

Craig
    Those wheel prices are very reasonable. I like the gun metal finish. Make sure you specify 5x100 (5 lugs, 100mms). If you get 4x100 and they don't fit, sell 'em to me cheap for my Miata. :-)

Ed: don't sweat it. You have a problem, and yes, any problem sucks. It probably sucks a little more to a card-carrying OCD club member, so I feel for you.

I too hope that with a bit of time and perspective, that it will be remembered as a little speed bump along a long, smooth ownership ride.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Subaru is now behind in the count. Hopefully this is it and after x years of ownership your experience will be much better. Subaru can then be ahead in the count and not strike out. (Still thinking about the Yankee loss) That's what I am looking for - after x years of ownership, was it average, good or great. Love driving it though. Keep us updated.

Greg
    For perspective, according to JD Power, the very best cars have about 85 defects per 100 cars, and that's just in the first 90 days. Some of them can be minor, others can be as extreme as engine fires (X5).

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    My Z71 (previous vehicle) had 4 fuel injectors (out of 8) and a fuel pump go during the first 2 months of ownership. I was furious. It wasn't the dealer's fault nor GM. Turned out to be a bad batch of injectors during the early part of the year (1997). Of course, there was a labor strike going on too. I got to drive a Prizm during the repair (ewww! - it was peach colored too!)

Even my wife's Saturn had a initial problem. During the first oil change, the tech noted that there was a bit much valve noise and basically rebuilt the top portion of the engine. Imagine trying to get that taken care of *after* the warranty.

You also may recall that our Outback had an *optional* low-rider bounce in the rear shortly after we took delivery in Aug '00. Turned out that both rear struts were bad (and starting to leak too). No rental car and I had to wait a week while the struts came in from Peru (so said the dealer).

Both of these are examples of things that aren't directly controllable by the car manufacturer (GM or SOA). I'm not sure who supplies the struts for SOA, but I believe Delphi or Bosch supplies the injectors for GM. Sure, these incidents took the smile off my face during the initial ownership (ok, it's a huge grin with the Outback). But, both were fixed properly.

One key is to make sure that you get the issues dealt with by a competent dealer service area. I'm sure if I had shotty service from either of the dealer service areas that I would probably have a entirely different opinion on the matter.

-Brian