Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    At Costco yesterday in Dallas area, 93 Octane is $1.35, $1.25 for 87 octane. I have a WRX and VDC OB; everytime I pass Costco, I top up. The price varies, but the difference from 87 to 93 seems to be consistent at 10 cents. Not a big difference for me to achieve max performance.

Mike
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Mike- Only a 10 cent difference between 87 and 93 octane? Around here "Plus" is usually 10 cents higher than "Regular" and "Premium" is usually another 10 cents higher than "Plus".

-Frank P.
  • flasksflasks Posts: 14
    I posted the following message on another subject board but never received any definitive answers and perhaps this board can help.......
    Having glanced through and read many of comments in this section, I feel I've come to the right discussion area to get good sound advice. I have a 2001 OB VDC and living in the hilly area of Pa I find myself using the shifting settings with the gear selector for upshifting (I love it!) more and more frequently rather than just letting the tranny do it's designed shifting for me. My question....am I going to upset a computer, a memory setting of somekind, or any other mechanical device by doing this? I rarely let the engine turn over 4,500 r.p.m.'s at any time even during passing. I am a mechanical idiot and want my car to last but I really like us the "automatic" as a "stick" shifter. All comments appreciated. I know that a stick shift would be more to MY liking but unfortunately this model comes only with auto and besides that, my wife refuses to learn to drive using a manual tranny. Thanks to all, Flasks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Same here, a 20-24 cent markup from 87 to 93 is normal. The Costco closest to me does not sell gas. :-(

Not sure about the tranny, I'd use manual mode only when I was driving aggressively. I don't think it's meant to be used all the time, like the new Shiftronic on the 2.5 GT models.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    on the other board. :)

-mike

PS: I'm back to all ATs now :)
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Name brand is $1.559 reg, $1.659 Plus, $1.719 Super. Costco is approx. $.08 less.

BTW, since switching to synthetics all around, I have not seen any major improvement in mileage. This may be attributed to doing more city driving with the AC on most times. Hopefuly as it cools down, I'll see improvement.

Mark
  • I have a 2002 WRX wagon with about 1600 miles. Most of the time I open the driver's side window, there is a LOUD squeaking sound, kind of like finger nails on a chalk board! Has anyone else experienced this? Solution?

Thanks in advance. . .

David
    You can adjust the tracks, someone with an Outback did this himself.

I'd let the dealer do this if you're still under the 12 month/12k mile adjustment period.

-juice
  • outback_97outback_97 Posts: 130
    reference msg 5667

Mr. detailer - thanks for the feedback, i wish i had experiences this positive with the dealer you mentioned, but many times I haven't.

It's been very inconsistent with them - in short, if i know what's wrong with the car and i tell them explicitly what to do, they have done an ok job. When it comes to diagnosis, i've been very disappointed. I've been misled and told very contradictory things by different people there. Simple things have been done incorrectly. Oh well, I guess your mileage may vary. Good to hear that you have had good experiences with them. I have little to no experience with the other dealers along the Wasatch front so I can't really compare. I guess that's a good thing; if one had lots of experience with dealers and repair shops it would indicate that Subarus aren't very dependable.

Good to see another UT Subaru driver posting. There's tons of them out here.
  • celica115celica115 Posts: 169
    I have the same problem on my driver's windows. It happened to me after 12,000 miles.

Juice, what do you mean by adjustment period? Don't they fix for you after 12 months/12k miles?

Celica
    I'm not sure. They specify the 12 month period to adjust things like the clutch pedal height. It's a standard industry practice.

You have the B2B warranty, of course, and that might cover the window seal. But read the fine print, B2B does not mean everything between the bumpers (think wear and tear).

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Posts: 684
    $1.36 for 87 proof, $1.56 for the good stuff (92) @ Costco, Spokane Valley. Everywhere else is about 7 cents higher. Not a big deal with the Subaru, but the motorhome's a different story!

Finally bid good riddance to the anemic factory horn - NAPA had a Fiamm 120db for 15 bucks. Better, louder, but I prefer the airhorns on the work truck!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • flasksflasks Posts: 14
    The only disappointment with my VDC Outback is the whimmpy horn. Can I replace this horn with a louder horn without upseting the computer or something else? Thanks a lot. Flasks
    Get some horns from hella. Check out http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp Ken over there is great. You can just wire em up in parrallel with your stock horns.

-mike

• jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    I've had a set of air horns, similar to p/n 85105 on the website Mike gave above, for eons.

I'd love to install them on the subie but unfortunately, I can't find a good mounting location for then. There just isn't much room in the engine compartment!

Jim
    2 sets of double trumpets on the SVX if I can find a spot to put em. :) If not I'll go with the other type of horns for the SVX.

-mike
  • Planning to take it to the dealer next month. Lots of squeaks, especially in front when turning/coming out of my driveway. Think they ran out of grease on my car!
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Celica,

I'm not sure if it's written anywhere, but dealers will fix or address almost anything, however minor (like squeaks), you mention in the first year or 12K miles. Of course, that excludes any obvious abuse-related problems.

It's best to get little niggles taken care of early on.

Ken
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    On an older car a just put in Engine-RX. Smoothed and quieted the older engine. They recommended a yearly application even on newer ones.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    Yeah, Utah is filled with Subies. Very popular here. I don't know about this year, but for the last 5 years there has been over 20% growth each year. It's no wonder that there are now 6 dealerships instead of two.

Overall my best repair experiences have not been dealers, but former Subaru Dealership mechanics. Hope you can find a good one. I have found two.
  • got an 01 outback. for some reason my check engine light keeps going on and off. sometimes it'll stay on for days and then go off. at first i thought it was the gas. i run super or premium, but the funny thing is that the light goes on at the oddest times.
    i maybe half into a tank of gas and it'll go on.then i start it up and it's not on for some time. other than that it runs like a champ. i'm about to email New Motors in erie,pa where i got it (2hrs away) but i wondered if anyone else had this problem.
  • pgh4pgh4 Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Lagacy-O/B wagon, auto-transmission, with approx 30000 miles. When pulling away from a dead stop, and sometimes when moving along slowly at light throttle, a rattling sound comes from under vehicle. I've heard about loose heat shields and rocks collecting in them. Got under car and shield pieces are intact, and doesn't appear to be any rocks. My parents' early 80's Nissan made a similar noise and mechanic said it was a flywheel problem...... I don't think my O/B has that kind of an issue but wondered if anyone has thoughts or experience with similar sounds.
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    sure sounds like the heat shield to me. Remember, it doesn't have to be very loose to start vibrating. Especially on a 2000, I can;t imagine anything else going south in that area.
  • I heard some people saying that some engin cleaner will cause oil leaking. I am not sure that is ture or not. What about steam wash the engin? I am wondering how do people take care of their show car. Everything looked so shine under the hood.
    Jim: my buddy bugbomb had one and custom made a mounting bracket, then bolted it to the ABS controller. Look behind the passenger side headlight to see if there is room there.

The bracket he made was just metal that he bent into a U shape. That bolted onto the ABS controller, and the horns bolted to the bracket. That thing was LOUD though.

Check the gear oil levels if you've already looked at the heat shields.

-juice
  • stevekstevek Posts: 362
    I have a 99 Forester and a 01 Legacy GT. Both have an identical boxes on the top of the engine. In the Legacy the airfilter is in that box However the Forester also has second box close to the passenger side fender in which the airfilter resides, the box on top is empty. Wonder if I can take the bottom air filter out and use the same larger in filter for the top box as I have it in the Legacy GT? Why do they have this set up differently?
    It may have to do with the location of the mass air flow sensors. In the Forester, the air running by that is already clean, filtered. I'm not sure why the GT's isn't, because it could shorten the life of the MAF if that's the case.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    I'll be transferring my Amsoil filter to the WRX since it's still in perfect condition.

What was the trick with using the plastic bags? Just place the filter in it, add oil and squeeze it around?? :-)

The WRX has a MAS, correct? Anyone know what the 2.2L on the 97 OBS has? I never had any issues with it and always get the sensors mixed up.
    The MAF is the more fragile one, correct?

-Dennis
    drivr: CELs are very common nowadays, and you can thank the feds for the OBDII stanards that force manufacturers to trigger a malfunction light for even a loose gas cap.

So right away, I'd say make sure you tighten that gas cap until a clicks, a few times even. Any leak in the system, which needs a vacuum to capture fumes, will turn a light on.

A dealer can scan the codes to find out what was being reported, since they are stored. A single engine misfire could trigger the light, for instance. Say from condenstation in the fuel lines (i.e. water in the gas). Try to keep your fuel tank full, especially when it's really cold. Forget running on empty, it's not a good idea.

Generally, if the car's running well, just have your dealer scan the codes at the next oil change. If it's stumbling or hesitating, take it in. If the light is blinking on and off, park it and call for roadside assistance, as any driving can be harmful at that point.

Though the blinking light is pretty rare.

-juice
  • I have a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS with the round fog lamps and this past weekend a rock must have hit the passenger side lamp and broke the glass lens. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering how often these large lamps will break without any protection. I called the dealer to get a replacement lens and I was told I had to buy the whole light assembly which is $170. That's close to what I paid to have the fog lamp option on the car when I bought it in mid July.

Joe