Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,975
    If your tires don't have traction, 12-wheel drive can't help you. So if the rain is hard enough to cause aqua-planing for instance, that would explain a car sliding in the rain even with good driver input.

The only thing "holding" you on the road is those 4 tiny patches of rubber---that's it. It all depends on that ultimately.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• any one have any luck locating an aftermarket roof rail attachment which would provide a tie-down point considering the current front/rear siderails on the roof of a 03 forester do not have these points like previous roof rack models?
    tks - ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Good point Ken. I use mine as tie-downs, plus they make great handles when I'm loading my roof carrier.

I think the Outback Sport is the only Subaru that still has built-in tie-downs in the roof rack. Even the Outback doesn't. (Bob pointed that detail out to me).

-juice
  • dudedude Posts: 123
    It's snowing today, in the Denver Metro area, and guess what, I'm fixing my sunroof, lol. Can't wait to be able to use it again, though. BTW, I was told at one of the dealerships that my 98GT doesn't really need the sunroof wind deflector. I'm just wondering if I really need it and if I should take it off.
    If you open it all the way, you might get a buffeting sound. I'd leave the deflector.

-juice
  • lspivalspiva Posts: 49
    I am finally have my Forester back. After almost a week of struggle on a sedan I am back "on a horse". Thanks again everybody for your advices and support. Extra thanks goes to Patti.
    A buffeting sound?? what is that, lol?
    If you drive at certain speeds with a moonroof completely open and no deflector, you hear and feel a sort of "whoop whoop whoop", I'm not an engineer so I'll let someone else explain why it happens (cabin pressure?).

Have you ever blown into a glass bottle and made it whistle? Same principal, but on a bigger scale.

A deflector helps, and sometimes opening a rear window also helps. I guess they create a turbulence that cancels out the buffeting.

You probably thought I was the phenomenon where Jimmy Buffet fans like to crank up the tunes! :-)

-juice
    Cool. :-)

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    << I think the Outback Sport is the only Subaru that still has built-in tie-downs in the roof rack. Even the Outback doesn't >>

It's standard on the Outback Sport, but if you get the optional crossbars for the WRX or TS wagon, they're the same.

Bob
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    it's turbulence. oh and there's an integrated deflector on my M3. ;-) very quiet at 70mph with the sunroof slid all the way open.

-Colin
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The pop-up one on the trooper works nicely. We have a spot where the sky-roof stops while going backward (about 5" before full open) that is supposed to have no buffetting, and it works, you notice much more when full open especially at 100+ :)

-mike
    Most power moonroofs have the deflector built-in. At least all the ones I've seen.

Oh yeah, but does yours have one touch open/close, and programmability so it closes when you remove the key? ;-)

-juice
    Are you talking about your Legacy Moonroof?
    Yes, but we got it aftermarket. It's an ASC 750 model, 17"x30", with the best controls I've ever seen in a moonroof at any price:

* one touch open all the way from any position
    * one touch tilt all the way from any position
    * one touch close from any position
    * programmable to close/not close when you pull the key
    * or hold any button to open/close it any amount

Basically you touch one button a single time and can get it to do whatever you want. If it's all the way tilted up, and you want to open, just hit the Open button and it'll tilt down, then slide back. Very cool.

-juice
    How far from the driver is it located, with the curve on the roof? To me, current Outback and Legacy sunroofs are kind of useless and controls are bad. I think we had this discussion before
  • idahodougidahodoug Posts: 537
    Careful putting me in the same category as Juice - you'll give me a big head! I'm actually new to the Subie world, having been a Lexus, Toyota, Audi Quattro, Mitsubishi fan and general automotive all-rounder.

On the rollover, the right conditions can roll anything from an SUV (on flat pavement) to a Vette or Ferarri (usually need to hook a rim in gravel or on a curb). Nothing is immune, but I'd say the OB is tough to roll with stock tires - easier with wider grippy tires of course. In the past year or so, there was a series of spectacular photos from a guy in a modified Golf/GTI on a flat parking lot who rolled it while simply turning sharply. Come to think of it, my stock Jetta used to corner on three wheels (you could hear it bark down like a landing airplane if you braked fast enough).

Here's a cheap trick for tie downs. I use 18"lengths of surgical tubing with a 1" circle in one end. Use a hog ring to make the circle, clamping it with pliers. Then, passing the free end around an object and through the hole, I tie a single overhand knot. Because the rubber is extremely grippy it will not move around, slide along the rails, nor untie itself. Because whatever you tie down is under tension, it will not work loose even if the object moves on a rough road. And because I'm cheap, I like the fact that $15 got me about 8 such tie downs, however the UV from being on the roof weakens them after about 3 years of occasional use. I've used them to hold lumber, skis, smelly hiking boots, sweaty bike helmets, kids toys, and duffel bags of all sizes up there. It started as a frantic effort to find a way to secure 4 sets of skis for a 2400 mile round trip, but later I realized they'll work for anything you can get them around. As a bonus, all 8 of them will fit in a dinky cubby or spare tire for instant availability when you find yourself at Home Depot carrying that 8 foot gasoline powered bird feeder.....

IdahoDoug
  • stevekstevek Posts: 362
    I have a set of fog lights on my '01 Legacy GT, I think they are h3 bulbs. Wondering if there is such a thing as a yellow/amber H3 bulb and where could I get it?
    8 foot gasoline powered bird feeder

I have GOT to get me one of those! ;-)

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I brought my OB in for service over the weekend- I'm approaching the 36K mark and wanted it checked over. At any rate they are telling me I need brake pads all around, and have to cut the front rotors. Does this sound right for a car with 35K miles?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • stevekstevek Posts: 362
    I don't know what kind of driving you do, my '01 Legacy GT has almost 60k on them and all the brakes are just fine, the front pads may wear out a bit quicker but having to cut the rotors are not a sign of good things. I have a friend who has a Honda Accord and he went thru 5 break jobs in 50K, on rural road driving, go figure
    For the pads, sure, that's about par for the course.

Don't know about the rotors, though. Is their surface smooth? Do you feel any vibrations in hard braking? If it's smooth in feel and operation, I'd skip the resurfacing.

Otherwise, ask if they have an on-car lathe, those are more accurate.

-juice
    Finally got my sunroof fixed yesterday, just in time for snow
    It's good, actually, any precipitation could cause a water leak.

-juice
  • Just a reminder - when birds feed they tend to show their gratitude by depositing something on a nice freshly cleaned car.

Pigeons, America's urban pheasant! lol
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    Ok i hope this is not a stupid question . Went to the dealer to get a oil filter . I'm going to change my oil for the 1st time myself . He gave me a crush washer with the filter . Now for my question . The washer is used for the oil drain plug in the pan right . It seems to fit the filter ,but I know you don't use a gasket with the filter.

thanks in advance mike k
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    Mark: In the past I have asked for 'block sanding' rather than lathe cutting if the rotor is in basically good shape. It can be done (best) with a coarse grit paper on a flat block or (OK) with a hand held grinder. It simply roughens up the iron rotor - breaking up the surface glaze, decreases the high spots, removes the high rust ridge at the inside and outside edges, etc.

By removing the minimum amt required to achieve reasonable flatness, you avoid removing the 'hardened' outer layer that provides the longevity in OEM rotors. This method will require that the pad wear a bit faster to fit the rotor, but I think gives the most cost effective and painless brake job.

Mike: This came up during the summer and was a source of some confusion. I think we all settled on it being the 17mm drain plug crush washer (even though it seems to fit the hollow spot on the OEM spin-on filter).

Steve
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    bat - You're lucky to have the pads last that long after a few PA Backroad Drives. ;-)

My wife needed new front pads on her OB at 60K. I believe the rotors were replaced before that. OTOH, the pads on my OBS needed to be replaced at around 40K IIRC. Just don't do like I did and go to Meineke. Oy vey!

-Dennis
  • bsvollerbsvoller Posts: 528
    -juice, I believe it was you who was looking for comparison replacement part costs, wasn't it ?

We just had the alternator go out on our '95 Sentra (88k mi) - $320 remanned + installation. Installation involves draining the radiator and removing the lower hose 'cause it's in the way.

Sigh. I remember when you could get a $20 voltage regulator and be up and running in 20 minutes. Must be dating myself....

This car has gotten expensive in the last 2 years: brakes, battery, starter motor, left front axle, brakes again (rotors this time), tires, right front axle, alternator. It has a slow leaks at the front crank seal, the left axle seal and the steering pump reservoir, but I'm not fixing them yet 'cause I don't have any fluids on the floor.

Here's hoping the Subie does better in years 6-7.

-brianV
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    it should, but don't bet against the front crank seal leaking on it too.

-Colin