Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Juice sorry to hear about the Miata. Glad nobody was hurt.

What a bummer. :(

Bob
  • Sorry to hear the news Juice... glad you are okay.

bit
  • Oooo, sorry to hear about that Juice. The other guy's insurance gonna pay? At the least, I imagine Miata repair costs are probably cheaper than Saab repairs.
  • Ken: The noise is not a rumble. It sounds like the high pitch noise of many desktop PC computers. At highway speed, the noise is not as loud as the engine. I read a post last year at the Subaru Forester chatroom in Edmunds, in which someone wrote that all time all wheel drive vehicles generally run noisier than two-wheel-drive vehicles. I wonder whether the noise in my Forester is normal for all time all wheel drive SUVs. But I do not have too much experience in driving all-time all wheel drive vehicles. When I shopped around for a SUV last year, I test drove Honda CRV and Lexus RS300 in addition to Forester. However, I do not recall that the Honda CRV and Lexus RS300 made such a noise. But then I did not put them at highway speed for more than a few minutes either. So the bottom line is I am not sure.

Juice: First, I am glad that you are alright after the crash. Second, thank you for your offer of sitting in your Forester and letting you sit in my Forester to compare. I actually thought of doing that but I did not know how to approach you with such a proposal (I lost your e-mail address because I recently changed job). Your e-mail messages were sent to my e-mail account in my former employer's computer. I thought of telling my wife to look up your phone number in the directory of the organization you work. Could you give me your e-mail address (e.g. by sending me an e-mail to my wife's e-mail address at work)? My silver Forester is parked in the B2 level today. However, the easier thing would be for me to drive my Forester to where you live in a weekend that you and I are free. I live in Gaithersburg. Thanks.
  • When I play music with lots of bass at high volume(such as the new PJ Harvey CD, which is AMAZING), I get an annoying vibration/buzzing sound just behind my left ear. It sounds like it's coming from the seat belt adjuster.

I've tried adjusting the seat belt, I've tried holding it, I've tried lowering the rear window, etc. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas what might cause it and how to stop it? I'm sure it's caused by vibration, because it only comes on for songs that have heavy bass (another CD that does it is the new Radiohead disc, another great one).
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    Hi Juice sometimes the old brain is working overtime.
    I was thinking that if the rest of the paint on the miata is less than perfect you may be able to cut a deal with the bodyshop to paint the rest of the car for very little money, this way you avoid colour match problems and some parts of the paint looking newer than other parts.
    Body shops are usually amenable to this sort of deal as they making up a batch of paint anyway and there is not much more preparation on a little car like the Miata, just a thought.
    Cheers Pat.
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    awww..... sue the guy! Sue the road designer! sue the convenience store right by it! sue the pedeastrians for not warning you! Sue everyone! sue their dog! That's the way of legal America! hahahahah.....

Take care Juiceman
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    oldjayhawk,

A high pitched noise...I'm wondering if it might be some kind of feedback noise that your car speakers might be picking up. My friend who owns a 2000 Forester was getting signal noise from the tweeters. It turned out that the shielding on one of the wires was faulty.

I've never heard that AWD vehicles run noisier than 2WD vehicles. Any difference you would hear is probably due to other factors such as soundproofing, aerodynamics and tire tread.

The CR-V is much noisier than the Forester because it only has a 2.0L engine that needs to work quite hard to move roughly the same amount of weight. The RX300 on the other hand, is going to ride a lot quieter. Not only does it have a 6-cylinder engine, it also has quite a bit of sound-deadening material since 'comfort' is one of it's selling points.

Ken
  • Ken:
    Thank you for your comments. My Forester has the speaker upgrade, but it does not have the tweeters. On my way home tonight, I will compare the high-pitch noise level with and without the radio or CD on. I will keep you posted on the result.

Regarding your comment on the noise in Honda CRV, I am not refering to engine noise because the noise I am concerned about in my Forester is a high-pitch noise which shows up in addition to the engine noise and the wind noise when the vehicle runs at a highway speed.

Jayhawk
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    the intake.
    I know on my OBS with K&N filter, when I accelerate hard, it produces a turbine noise like a jet. I love it. Sounds almost like a supercharger. Whhhhheeeeeee!!!!
    Of course my Borla cat back growls so loud that it drowns out anything and everything. hahahahah...
  • Actually, when I first got my Forester, I occasionally noticed a bit of a transmission-like whine at highway speeds. My assumption at the time was that AWD would sound a bit different than my previous FWD car because of the shaft running to the back (which is not something I'd had since my last RWD car, a Ford T-Bird). Don't notice it anymore -- probably just got used to it, rather than because it somehow went away. But the sound I'm thinking of was quite subtle and very low volume, so I can't say if it's what old jayhawk is experiencing.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Does the noise change if you lift off the throttle? What about if you pop the trans into neutral? It could be that the drive shaft is out of balance -- that is a typical cause of whine on RWD vehicles, and it obviously applies to AWD cars too. If it's a driveshaft problem, the noise will vary with engine/transmission load.

Craig
  • Tex_Subaru: The whine I heard is not loud. It is of low volume, sort of stays in the background. I hope that when I get Juice to testdrive my Forester, he can be a judge of how severe the noise is.

Craig: I have not compared the whining noise before and after lifting the throttle. I will try that the next time I am on a highway. Similary, I have not tried to put my Forester at neutral when I cruise at a highway speed. If I put the car at neutral after it has reached a stable highway speed, would it damage the car, e.g. the tranmission, when I put the transmission back to D at a highway speed?

Folks: Having to replace the rear differential in my new Forester (of course done under warranty, so it was free in terms of money but it still took two trips to the dealer's service department) at less than 1000 miles, I wonder whether I should buy the Subaru's extended protection plan to prepare for potential repairs in the future. Currently, I have Subaru's gold plan protection for 3 years or 45,000 miles (the manufacturer's original warranty on the drivetrains of new Foresters is 3 years or 36,000 miles, but the dealer gave me the gold plan of 3 years or 9,000 miles over the warranty of 36,000 miles free of charge when I purchased my Forester). At the rate I am driving my Forester, it would reach 45,000 miles in 3 years. Any idea from anybody out there? I remember someone stated in this chatroom that he always got his money worth on buyer's extended protection plans. But I am thinking that I already have 45,000 miles of coverage. If I buy Subaru's gold plan for up to 80,000 miles, I would be paying for 35,000 miles of coverage. Would it be worth the money? It would be difficult to predict what repair would be needed.

Jayhawk
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    In the US the powertain warranty on Subarus (Forester included) is 5yr/60000 miles, The rest of the car is 3yr/36000 miles.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    My wife was starting to regret not getting the extended warranty on her OB. Quite a few things happened near the end of the regular warranty (no extensions). Shakes due to out-of-spec axle, several bulbs went bad and broken window switch.
    The axle was covered under the powertrain warranty and she paid about $120 including parts & labor to have everything else fixed. A lot cheaper than we expected. Yeah, it is difficult to predict problems and if the warranties are worth it. Peace of mind I suppose.
    Dennis
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Both my dad and my aunt have had the warranty gold on their subies. My aunt's SVX developed a problem in her tranny about 6 months after the warranty gold had expired (she had about 65K miles) dealer wound up talking to SOA and they re-did her tranny for free, even though it was out of warranty, mostly cause she had the Gold warranty from them. My dad's '97 legacy has had the rear axle and rear engine seals done under it w/o having to pay a dime.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Miata goes to the shop on Tuesday. His insurance will deal with the body shop direct, I just drop it off. Fine with me.

Good idea with the paint. I'll ask. Crystal White is the WORST paint color Mazda had - most Miata.netter are surprised mine hasn't already peeled.

Four O2 sensors? Give Patti a call.

Jayhawk: e-mail me at ateixeira@ifc.org. I was out yesterday, but I'm at work today. I could run it over to Clara Barton for a quick highway jaunt and still be back in half hour.

If you prefer, we can do it tonight or tomorrow AM. Let me know (off line).

-juice
  • Thanks to all who responded wrt my vibrating car.

I took it to the shop this morning and they didn't think the vibration was unusual. I am terribly dissapointed. This is not what I expected from my new car.

I am hoping that it is caused by a *very* stiff suspension and that it works itself out. I am not convinced, though.

- Jan
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    Hope everything goes well at the bodyshop Juice, did they say how long it will be? Hope you can swing a deal on the paint you may as well get something positive out of the experience.
    Cheers Pat.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll let you know next week. I'll ask about painting the whole thing, too.

-juice