Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Sorry. Fogot those specs for Toe

Before alignment
    Left front 0º00'
    Right front 0º03'
    Left rear 0º04'
    Right rear 0º02'

After alignment
    Left front 0º05'
    Right front 0º07'
    Left rear 0º04'
    Right rear 0º02'

I also have Cross Camber, Total Toe and Thrust Angle specs.

Juice - doing the fuel filter today.

bit
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    OCD members never disappoint. ;-)

-juice
  • nine51nine51 Posts: 78
    I had a wind noise problem with the right front window on our 02 Legacy GT wagon. The dealer service dept. re-adjusted the window, and the noise went away. The track was mis-aligned and wasn't allowing the window to go up all the way.

I used to get a lot of noise from the roof rack on my old Outback Sport. I removed the cross bars on my 02 WRX wagon, and it's much more quiet than the OBS. They re-install easily if I want to use them, but they are noisey. It's also easier to brush the snow off the roof with the cross bars removed.
    Cool, glad the dealer fixed the noise.

When you put the cross bars back on, make sure the rounded edge faces forward, like the wings on an airplane. Many people put it on backwards.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    Got some special deals in the mail today from Subaru, new front pads with a brake fluid flush and refill wheel rotation $99 CDN. Rad. flush and refill $49 CDN.

Seems like a deal to me for anybody needing it any similar deals in the States?

Cheers Pat.
  • Haven't received any deals in the mail but my dealer just did it (radiator and brake flush refill) for me for $124US

bit
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    Damn good price Bitman. I had to have the tranny flush on my auto outback and they charged me 140.00 just for the tranny .

Mike k
  • is just being regurgitated from what the service guys at the dealership told me. they told me both my oil and water pumps were leaking on to my catalytic converter. so uh, i dunno!

none of you know of any other problems i should be looking out for?l

thanks.
  • nine51nine51 Posts: 78
    <<When you put the cross bars back on, make sure the rounded edge faces forward, like the wings on an airplane. Many people put it on backwards. >>

Gee... do you think it would give me more downforce? ;)
    Probably, and a nice wind houl to go with it! :-)

Sheilin: the next most common issue is the wheel bearings. But if they're still quiet at this age, they'll likely be fine. They would have failed by now.

-juice
    Those are great prices Pat. Even a do-it-yourself type might be tempted.

-juice
  • stevekstevek Posts: 362
    I just may have to take ride up north :) ..... way north
  • romy4romy4 Posts: 17
    Just heard from the dealer, Minooka Subaru, that the replacement transmission is in and that it is new not remanufactured. I will be getting it put in next Tuesday and they are giving me a loaner for the day. I'm very pleased with the dealer and Subaru for their prompt handling of this problem.

Romy
    2002 Outback Wagon
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,085
    what is that, like $1.37US for the special???
    :)
    Great news, Romy. Keep us posted?

-juice
    I think they pay you, if you convert to US dollars. :-)

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    yeah they also had drain and refill auto tranny and roadtestfor $49.95 and subaru bateries from $86.95.

Cheers Pat.
  • I'm not going to pretend Subes are bulletproof, but it is worth noting that I have seen a lot of cases where the owner was told all kinds of things were broken and needed replacement when it was not true. If you do not know your vehicle well, then you are at the mercy of what your mechanic / dealer tells you. I find the simultaneous failure of your oil pump and water pump odd for starters.

I also think it is worth noting that a few thousand miles later your A/C failed. The reason I mention this is that a mechanic not bothering to take the time to measure proper belt tension will usually overtighten the belts they had to remove for water pump replacement. No mechanic wants a car back in with slipping belts, so it's always a few extra tightening turns and you're on your way. The downside? Why it overstresses the bearings on the A/C, the water pump, and the alternator. Care to connect the dots with me as to why your A/C failed? Coincidence? "Aw, gee sir - that's too bad you're back in here for another expensive repair. Too bad your car is so unreliable, but we'll get 'cha back on the road (snicker)"....

So, no your vehicle is not prone to these kinds of failures, but the way it is serviced might be. Even a Lexus can be improperly serviced and experience failures later on.

IdahoDoug
    The OE Subaru battery on the Forester was weak, under 300 CCAs. I got one with 535 CCAs from Wal Mart for $40. It starts better now. So I'd go aftermarket.

-juice
    Lexus had those sludge issues, too. No car is bullet proof. Honda's had 24k trannies fail lately.

-juice