Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Go back to your dealer and have them inspect the seals around the window.

My 03 X's seals were replaced and window was re-aligned after I noticed a window noise problem; I would describle the noise as a hissing. Anyway, that problem was solved.

It's been several months since the fix and it seems odd, but there are times when the wind noise seems excessive compared to other vehicles I've owned. The hissing is gone, but the noise is more a muted blustering.

It's not overbearing in my opinion, but it is noticeable and most likely normal for this model.
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    if the 2.5 doesn't use any lifters, can the "knocking" just be the lash when cold and no weight oil will really help (maybe just minimize)?

Greg
  • romy4romy4 Posts: 17
    IdahoDoug,
    Thanks so much for this information. The receipt did have a Subaru Parts no. Your explanation makes a lot of sense and is along the lines of what I was hoping to hear from SOA. I feel lots better now.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    The downside to frameless windows is that they can let in more wind noise. I find that the noise is greater when there is a cross wind -- perhaps it's the same with you?

Ken
  • Yes, I do notice more noise in crosswinds and also more in very cold weather. Possibly the roof rack generate more noise than typical cars.
    Thanks
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    mtownson,

Just for grins, check the orientation of your cross bars. In the past, some dealers had installed them facing the wrong way -- the wider, rounded edge should face forward (imagine the cross section of a teardrop with the big end forward).

Ken
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Please don't beat me!!! I repent.... ;-)

I used the terms 'solid lifters' and 'hydraulic lifters' to describe a fixed valve lash system (solid) as opposed to engines (like most American classic designs) that used a variable pumped spacer that keeps lash constant during thermal expansion.

In another thread I said that older Sub designs used hydraulic lifter, 2.5ej phase II uses solids. What I should have said is that the newer engines dropped the hydraulic spacers and now have fixed adjusters.

Did I get it right???

Steve
  • This last weekend I noticed that the lens over my right-side running light had shattered. And I was wondering what internet site offered the best sales/service. Unfortunately, the parts department at the local Subaru dealership mark-up the parts and is staffed by rude and inept people. Thanks for your help,
    Eirik
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Also e-mail parts@libertysubaru.com for a price quote, they were the cheapest last time I checked.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    How was the delivery time from libertysubaru.com?

I need to get the tie-rods for the SVX so I'm pricing around and getting shipping times.

-mike
    It came within a week. I ordered a rubber cargo liner for the wife's Legacy, and a leather shift knob. Both arrived with no damage, too.

-juice
    The window angle can be adjusted, let the dealer have a look at it.

Also, try lowering the window and then raising it again, see if you get a better seal when you do that.

Yep, the cross bars are like airplane wings, the sharp edges should face back.

-juice
  • Thanks for the help. I gave them both an email.

-eirik
  • I'm reading with great interest the experiences of others with head gasket problems. I am now the unhappy owner with a '98 Outback Ltd 30th Anniv Edition(92M miles) AND a '01 Legacy GT (51M miles), both with leaky head gaskets. In the case of the GT, it is under warranty and goes to the dealer tomorrow for repair. The '01 is leaking coolant from the cylinder head near the exhaust port. I started smelling it ever so slightly last week, but saw definite smoke and an empty reserve coolant tank today, after filling it a couple of days ago. It still has coolant in the radiator, but it will be dropped off at the dealer's now for them to repair. For the '98 Outback, the problem started a month ago with the slight smell, then a severe overheating problem, but no detectable leak as there is with the GT. So I parked it until my auto mechanic husband could find time to diagnose it and start the repair. The '98 Outback has a definite compression leak from the head gaskets with possible damage to the cylinder heads. I am fortunate that the family mechanic will be able to do the repairs himself and am prepared to pay around $300-$500 in parts from Subaru, but will save with his labor. We have written to Subaru asking their opinion. I thought it unusual to have head gasket problems under normal driving conditions, especially with the newer model. Neither car is used for towing. Both cars are well-maintained.
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    Mike what pressures are you running in the SP500s? I've got 35 all around right now (32/30 is the OEM rec) but turn in still feels soft compared to the S-03. I am thinking of bumping up to 38-40 but I don't want to cause excessive wear either. Have any input?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I feel horrible, I have no idea what pressure i'm running! I guess I have whatever pep-boys put in it when I had em mounted! My guess is they set em for stock pressure so I'm actually running a bit lower now with the temps being about 50 degrees less than when they set them.

My guess is that you could safely run em up at 38-40. Just see how they are bulging. Mine are pretty flat right now. I should actually go and put some more air in them, probably do that after I get the tie rods done, I don't want to put more pressure on the tie rods than I have to.

-mike
  • Hello Juice and all:

I've not visited the thread in quite a while, but in the past you've been very helpful to me when buying a new Outback Sport and mourning my totalled Forester. The Outback is now 16 months old, has 24,000 miles and in general runs and handles great. Incidentally, I too have too much wind noise and need to get the window seals checked - although last time I was at the dealer they fobbed me off with "We test drove it and we don't hear anything," etc. But when it rains there is always moisture under that seal!

Anyway, the last 10 days the car has developed a rattle on the passenger side which sounds like a snare drum - it's pretty loud -and seems to be connected to the vent/air system, as when i shut off the vents i can't hear it. A little more worrying is that when I steer to the right it gets louder, and when I steer to the left it goes away. I suspect it's something loose in the air system but when i remembered I could ask those of you in this forum, I thought I'd take that opportunity.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Rachel
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    steering affects it, then it is more likely something in the steering system, like the CV on the right side, maybe? The car is pretty new for that, though, unless you have been doing off-roading and going up high curbs fast and stuff like that...

...are you sure the changes in sound when turning aren't just coincidental with something else?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• shad12shad12 Posts: 14
    3subeowner: I would be interested in the response you receive from subaru. The head gaskets went out on my '98 outback with 94000 miles on it. The dealer response is that it is not particularly unusual. The aluminum heads and block does tend to be heat sensitive and warps after a while. I was told better the gasket for $2200 than the engine for $8000. So, apparently this is normal.