Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Goshen, eh? We lived in Florida, NY for a couple of years back in the early 80s. Nice area, except for the smell of onions in the Warwick Valley in season and the noise of snowmobiles in winter.

I could tell unknowing ones from elsewhere in the country back then that I owned a townhouse in Florida. Now I'm just glorified trailer park trash (upscale manufactured home park) in Florida - the real one. :)
  • I would love to use your coupons if you still have them and don't want them.

Garrett Waddell
  • Sorry, I think they're gone, but I'll take a look and see if they're still in our recycle bag.
    However, they did have the name of the dealer on them, and they were good at that dealership only! I don't know how closely the service writers look at the coupons......the print is small;-)

What part of the nation are you in??

Terry
  • I believe the coupons were good for the purchase of an 05 model only.
  • My brakes are done all the way around. I will be replacing everything (rotors, pads etc ), would anyone recommend after market or Subaru original parts ?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • Yep, it's as I thought: the coupons found their way to the recycle bin....Sorry

Terry
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    Do the rotors really need replacing? Were you happy with the mileage you got with the stock pads?

I replaced my pads at 65k miles. The front pads actually had quite a bit of lining remaining. The rotors didn't need replacing and were not warped. I used stock pads.

If your pads didn't last very long, then, I'd switch brands, otherwise I'd stick with stock. Rotors may vary from batch to batch so I don't know if I'd go with stock or aftermkt.

Also, if you are using Subaru bucks, it narrows your choices.

Jim
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    The stock pads give you a pretty good balance of performance, wear and low dust. I would probably stick with them.

As for the rotors -- are they worn or warped to the point they need replacement? On my Forester, I replaced only the front rotors (with pads, of course) at 60K miles. The fronts were fairly worn with some mild warping. The rears, which were okay, just got new pads.

Actually, what I did was buy a set of WRX stock pads and rotors (larger diameter) and caliper brackets to upgrade my brakes. The cost difference there was really in the extra set of brackets.

Ken
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Thinking of painting the calipers on my OB XT LTD. I live with 5 months of salt on the roads and after a year or 2, the calipers look rather lousy, and would be very noticeable behind the new OB wheels. I bought a caliper paint kit that comes with black brush on paint, brake cleaner and the brush.

Question 1. Can I spray the brake cleaner over the entire caliper assembly while it still mounted?

Question 2. Will doing the above remove the antisqueal compound that is clearly visible on the back of the pads/guides on my OB, or damage any of the seals?

If so, is there any method of cleaning/preping without removing the assembly and pads?

Thanks.
    Jay.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    A1. sure.

A2. it might remove the antisqueal paste, yes. it most definitely will not harm seals.

~c
  • rjweissrjweiss Posts: 20
    My wife called and said our 03 Forester is beeping, not like the chirp from the security system. I'm not in town so I can't verify the sound but she is sure it's from the Subie.

Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

Ron
    Thanks for the reply.

So, would that mean that I would have to remove pads and reapply/lubricate?

Cheers.
    Jay.
    There's really nothing else on the Forester that would make a beeping noise other than the alarm or horn.

Are you sure the alarm wasn't triggered?

Ken
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    pick up some of the antisqueal from an autoparts store and if you notice noise afterwards then yep. but otherwise there's no need to be concerned.

~c
    Don't know if the alarm had been triggered, she didn't mention hearing the alarm going off. Does that produce that type (computer beep) of sound if an alarm event occured?

thanks

Ron
  • Not sure this is the best place to post this:

Wondering whether the Subaru Powertrain warranty will cover the problem I am having with my automatic transmission on 2000 Forester. My wife, who is the primary driver, has had trouble a few times shifting into drive. She has to play with the stick and sometimes hit the gas pedal during this process. The few times it has happened in recent weeks, she was eventually successful in getting it into drive. Took car into a non-Subaru shop for evaluation. They said that there was observed problem with forward clutch assembly (?), trans fluid didn't look good, and as a result the transmission would have to be rebuilt. Big $. Note that their evaluation was supported by off-site personnel via phone, as the shop farms out this type of work, so the eyes that were looking at the transmission were not necessarily expert eyes. Also, I am not well versed in auto mechanics, so this is probably the best I'll be able to explain this.

Will be taking the car to the dealer next week for evaluation. I'd like to know in advance whether this sounds like an in-warranty repair. I'm outside basic warranty coverage but within powertrain warranty (4.5 years, 37K miles). I cannot discern if any of the items listed in the powertrain warranty (such as electronic transmission control unit) would cover this problem (and neither do some folks I know who are better versed at auto repair). I was also told by others that such a transmission failure is highly unusual, even for the "normal" lifetime of a car. I have never had a transmission problem with any of my previous cars (all non-Subaru). Note that I have done no towing with car nor has it ever carried what I would consider a heavy load; 2 adults, 2 kids, and some cargo max.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Doug
    OK..OK.. I should have known, my wife isn't too technical. Got home from work and sure enough I heard the beeping, but it wasn't from the Subaru it's from my neighbors smoke detector.

Ron
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Doug,

I really would assume that the 5yr/60k powertrain coverage would include all internal auto tranny components (provided you did your part - fluid change at 30k/30months).

Let us know how this plays out!

Steve
    Any concern about the liberated grease fouling the pads/rotor as it runs off? Whatever cleaning I have ever done, I have performed with everything apart.

Steve
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    I did my calipers over 3 years ago when my GT was new, I used Foliatec paint. I sprayed the cleaner without disassembly and I had no problems at all.

By the way I live in Ottawa so I know what road salt is about, 3 and a half years later the calipers still look new, I also had the rotors cad. plated. Nothing looks worse to me than rusty rotors and calipers behind nice wheels.

Cheers Pat.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Pat, you left a '.' at the end of your picture link, so it's not showing up for us. Try this: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4cb3f210cefbfdd595ab- b8064841a7e8/fcf4694a.jpg

-Brian
  • edunnettedunnett Posts: 552
    said that there was observed problem with forward clutch assembly (?), trans fluid didn't look good, and as a result the transmission would have to be rebuilt.

As long as you kept up on your maintanance I can't imagine that Subaru would not honor the warranty in this case if in fact the prognosis is correct. Be prepared to show proof that the following 30K services were performed:

- replace front and rear differential fluid
    - replace automatic transmission fluid

Although with your car only having 37K on it, I can't imagine 7K extra of use of that tranny fluid would cause a problem even if you didn't have it changed at the 30K interval.

Elissa
  • Thank you Steve and Elissa for your feedback.

Note that my Forester's maintenance book lists the auto trans fluid and differential lubricants as "I" (inspect, correct or replace if necessary), not "R" (replace), unless severe driving conditions occurred (towing a trailer given as example). These items are included in my shop's oil change service and as such don't appear as separate line items on my receipt. In my favor, the receipt for my 30K checkup includes line items for all the items in my maintenance book listed as "R" or "P" (perform), along with the oil change. Makes sense, because I used the maintenance book to generate the work items I told the shop to perform. Seems to me that this should be sufficient evidence of keeping up and sticking with Subaru's list, along with receipts for other mileage intervals (and more recent oil services).

Do more recent Subaru models indicate replacement for these fluids at 30K?

Thanks.

Doug
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Ron- Man I feel for you! Thank goodness for the anonymity of the Internet :-)

-Frank
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    Thanks, the origional link said the image was temporarily unavailable so I just edited it out, you must have caught it before I edited.

This one does not do the calipers justice but you can see that the rotors are still pristine.

Cheers Pat.
    Glad it wasn't something serious. But couldn't your wife have just stepped out and checked the Forester?

No need to answer. I've been in situations like that before.

Ken
    Small world. I'm in Ottawa as well.

Thanks for the info everyone. BTW, rec'd an e-mail from Duplicolor late Friday strongly suggesting that pads be removed before using their cleaner. Hmmmm...wonder if I could get a different brake cleaner from Cdn tire or elsewhere?

Pat: You think the caliper paint would stick to the rotor "hat" (obviously not where the pad contacts the surface)? I'm guessing by the fact that you had yours plated that perhaps a caliper paint may not cut it.

BTW, nice wheels...really sharp. Notice you chose red for calipers. I picked up the black but not sure if red is a better choice. I have the monotone Garnet Red 05 OB XT. Any opinions on whether red or black would be better choice?

Cheers.
    Doug,

Sounds like you are good to go with the documentation that you have. Elissa and I are both in a slightly more harsh climate and tend to follow a blend of Normal & Severe. Plus I do occasionally tow a small utility trailer, so I take that into account when I plan service intervals.

Again, please let the board know how this plays out.

Steve
    I wouldn't think that a caliper paint would stand up well to the high temps that a rotor sees. I suspect that the 'hat' would rust back to natural pretty quickly.

I also tend to agree with Duplicolor's recommendation. Brake cleaner is a degreaser. The byproduct that drips off is still pretty oily. I would be concerned that it could poison the pads. You might get away with it most of the time, but I just don't think it falls under the 'best practices' catagory.

Steve