Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    Yes. Both were the driver's fault. One not covered had 1/5 of the teeth stripped off of one gear wheel.

As mechanic put it - kids buying them don't know how to drive a manual...

Ralph
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    eric,

sorry for the late reply, got a dead PC at home and was busy here at work yesterday.

anyway if you smell it before you fire the engine or immediately after, then yes it's probably the evaporative purge canister or perhaps the fuel filter or fuel return line itself.

if the smell doesn't come until after the engine has been running for over 30 seconds, it's probably something else.

any other symptoms besides the smell? running OK?

-Colin
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's silly, I doubt you even go any faster even if it did work.

I dunno, they deserve it. Bet they pamper their 2nd clutch...

-juice
  • rangnerrangner Posts: 336
    yeah it comes within the first 30 seconds and the tach will rise and fall a couple hundred rpms with the fan kicking on intermittently--given the engine isn't even hot then--pretty weird.

Don't think it's the fuel filter cause I changed it in the last 10k.

I don't know--I'm taking it into the dealer on Friday along with the steering binding problem. Let's see what they say.

Maybe I'm just being a worry wart about the car, and maybe these are just subie quirks, but I'd just like to get to the point where no new weird symptoms show up for awhile.

Eric
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    like the Fast and the Furious lead to some folks that are easily influenced to try launching. It's a hard lesson for kids to learn. My son is learning in our '90 with the understanding that if the clutch burns out, it's going to be on him!

Patti
    ah. with these additional symptoms my new 'best guess' is the coolant temperature sensor. you'll smell fuel pretty quick if it's going because the idle mix will be out of whack. (you should've seen my '99 RS with the CTS disconnected... lol. brutal.)

could be something else of course. or the coolant temp sensor *and* other things too.

yuck. I'm sure they'll fix ya up.

-c
  • The movies are what everybody believes to be true. Untill they try to repeat the movie in true life. A tough lesson to learn.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Just finished watching 2F2F that i got from Mitsu. I think it was better than the 1st or at least nearly as good.

-mike
  • Is it really saft to wait for the first oil change on a brand new WRX until 5000 miles? How long should it be before the first tranny gear oil change on a manual shift? Are these periods shorter in the high temperatures in Florida?
  • Vin Diesel's character made the movie, if you want to call it a movie. It's more like a cult flick.
  • rmd122rmd122 Posts: 21
    My 98 Forester has a foul smell coming from the A/C. The A/C is cold but stinky. The heater is fine. The other "generic" repair boards on Edmunds say it is either a dead critter or mold. Anyone have any Sube specific ideas?
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    <<The other "generic" repair boards on Edmunds say it is either a dead critter or mold. Anyone have any Sube specific ideas?>>

Rich-
    what they said, it's either a dead critter or mold.

IIRC, that is my senses haven't failed. If the stench is sharp to the nose, it's a critter. Just follow your nose. If it's mellow and tolerable but stinks just the same, it's mold. Use Lysol at the ventilation inlet grille. The vent inlet should be on the outside passenger side at the base of the front windshield. Turn the fan on to suck the mist in, then shut off to let sit. Repeat a couple of times before letting it vent away.

-Dave
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I agree, check the CTS. I've heard the same thing on Car Talk a bunch of times.

CRaig
    if the clutch burns out, it's going to be on him!

Wanna bet he'll be a great driver? Good strategy.

I agree with the Lysol suggestion. Put the vent on fresh, the fan on high, let that suck in the Lysol you spray right at the intake point of the HVAC system.

I need to do that for my Miata. Smells like an old sock got stuck in there.

-juice
    it was really tough to keep my Impreza running with the CTS unhooked in cold weather. :) here it is after warming up 10 minutes... note the limp temp gauge.

can you see that if you're not logged in to imagestation?

-Colin
    You need to be a registered member. I see the pic.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    and can see it just fine. 38829 on the ticker...

-Brian
  • I've had it. I've had my Forester for nearly two years and still have intermittant dead battery issues (just do a search on "Cheryl" here to see the saga). The dealer (although they have gone above and beyond on dealing with the issue), continues to tell me that I need to drive my car more. I contend that normal operation of my car shouldn't result in a dead battery every 5-6 weeks and the need for a new battery every 6 months.

I started trying to resolve the issue in October 2002, 7 months after buying the car. I thought I had a resolution early 2003. However, now the problem has started again and it's too late to deal with the problem under the Alaska Lemon Law.

Has anyone else run into an on-going issue like this with a Subaru vehicle? Besides selling the car and making it someone else's problem, what recourse does one have? I've opened a case with SOA and I'll be having Thanksgiving dinner with my attorney tomorrow. Any stories? Advice? Help?
    Thanks,
    Cheryl
  • iggsoiggso Posts: 28
    I decided to call tirecack to price a set of 4 mounted snow tires.

They said for XT 16 inch steel wheels do not fit over the brakes and said I must get more expensive allowy wheels.

Help.. I was under the impression that XT brakes are no different from XS brakes. Is that correct because tirerack says that XS can get 16 inch steel rims?

Or is there another reason steel rims cannot be used on a XT?