Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    looks like you may be pushed off the fence prematurely.

-Dave
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I'm afraid it's what you think. IIRC, Colin also experienced a similar thermostat reading and a loss of coolant.

Sorry to hear that, dude.

Is that WRX wagon still available for cheap?

Ken
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    *not yet!*

yea they are Ken, but Fitz also cut the FXT pricing to $23,373. That's at the outer limit of my budget, but.....

a) better driveline
    b) more space

I think that Cobb bar kit and maybe STi springs, and good tires will go a long way to helping the XT handle very well. Maybe 17" SDRs in the Spring when I have some more cash.

I don't know. I am going to wait for the Leg debut and find out $$ and on-sale date before I do anything. This fence hurts!
    Just don't sit on the barbwire ;-)

-Dave
    When I started the Legacy this morning! LOL
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    that just has to suck Loosh. I think you've got it covered though - add fluid 'till it's full and add more after running it a bit. Does the cranking the heat up trick work when the gasket is bad? :dontknow:

Well, regardless, you need to get it fixed so it's in good trade-in shape for that SG-T that us fence folk are 'kindly' pushing you to! ;-)

-Brian
    around the bend with all the water you're putting in.

-Dave
    I quit putting water in it, and won't drive it until I can get more antifreeze. According to others' experience, this is the first and earliest warning. The car probably has another 2 or so months before the problem comes to a head, as it were.

And this is all assuming that it really is the HG. I mean, no mechanic has actually looked at the thing yet.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    the cooling system that is. There's a plastic bleeder screw (phillips head within a square head) on the top passenger side of the radiator on Gen II Legacies. Remove the bleeder screw while you add water/coolant. IIRC, the bleeder screw and the procedure for bleeding is in the owner's manual. Make sure you don't overtighten or lose the o-ring!

DaveM
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    Hate to rain on your parade but I would bet money it is the head gasket, I am sure Colin will agree,

Cheers Pat.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Keep something in mind, folks. A new Subie will cost about 10 times as much as that repair.

Just keeping it in perspective! :-)

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    that new Subie will likely have at least 10 times the GRIN factor...let alone the increase in cargo space he could use.

;-)

-Brian image image
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Loosh,

Since WRX wagons and XTs are fairly abundant now, at least you know you can pull the trigger whenever you need to.

I think the XT with some tweaks would be great for your work and fun. You could easily pay off the difference through the added wine you can haul with the cavernous cargo space. ;-)

Ken
    quite true about the cost. It's just that I've already committed, mentally, to making a change, so this is kind of forcing the issue. I am not the type of person who would normally shy away from a potentially costly repair by simply getting rid of the vehicle.

That said, there's only one EJ25 Mk.I in the family I feel like investing in, and it isn't the GT. The OB is the family workhorse, our first new car ever, and one we intend to have around for quite a long time.
    Plus it's a wagon, and it can't possibly outlast its own usefulness.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Good news. Sounds like Santa needs to bring you a new SUBARU radio/cd player (and maybe new dealer).

Greg
    I have two plain AM/FM/cassette players. Heck, I'd *give* you one to see this issue resolved, if you would pay for just shipping.

It's probably worth investing in something nicer, though. You can get a used WRX 6CD changer for $130-200 on Ebay.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Cheeryyyyl? Are you there?

Must be all charged up and about with a smile.

Greg
  • Last week I was headed home early from work, doing ~65 on the highway when my Forester XT felt like it dropped to 2nd gear, I heard the revs go sky high and I pulled over to the side of the road. My AT Oil Temp light and Check Engine lights were on and my Cruise Control light was flashing. I had it towed to the dealer just to be safe. Mechanic plugged into the computer and said I hit the rev limiter at 6700RPM and casually asked if I were doing any "performance type" driving....which I was not...I was actually on the cell phone and driving along pretty slowly in the second lane of traffic on a five lane highway.

We took it for a test drive and he forced the rev limiter again hitting 6500RPM to ask if that what's I felt. The side to side shake was not the feeling I had earlier, it was more like the bottom dropped out and THEN the RPM's sky rocketed.

He suggested maybe I hit the shifter by accident, which since I was on the phone would be have been hard unless I sprouted a third hand to drive. We could not replicate the problem so I took the car home and drove it under similar circumstances several times to try to replicate the problem.

Since that time, I have passed 1100 miles on my '04 Forester XT AT and on my last three drives over 20 miles I've noticed a pretty distinct burning smell...not really gasoline, maybe slightly rubber/metallic. I would think that at this point I would have burned off any undercoating a long time ago.

After 10 years in a Honda and NEVER experiencing anything as scary as this I'm really concerned. IF...and that's a huge IF....I didn't fully shift to Drive and it slipped to Neutral on the highway, I could understand that problem. I don't find that likely....but now the smell has me wondering what's really going on.

Your thoughts/advice are appreciated.

Stuart
    I think even if it did over-rev, it was for such a short period that it'll be fine.

To be safe, just change fluids at 30k, I mean ATF and gear oils. Have the drain plugs checked for metal shavings, they are magnetic IIRC so shavings stick to them.

-juice