Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• are the tires all the same size, pressure, condition?

Hopefully it is nothing more than a low tire.

John
  • There must be something different with the 99 engine. Looked high and low and can't find it. Tried to locate Haynes manual - found up to 98 and starting and 2000.

Might have to actually go to the dealer (yikes!)
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Did the vibration only happen at a certain speed? If so, then I would suspect out of balance tire(s). There's no reason a vibration should crop up after 15 minutes, unless that's the first time you hit a certain speed.

4eat = auto trans

I imagine pricing differences are due to different options, which they do list.
  • mpazosmpazos Posts: 42
    I quess I should have been clearer in my last post. At 15 minutes I assume the tires would have been warmed up, and it was 15 minutes into the test drive that I took the car onto the highway and got it up to the speed that the vibration was most noticeable. Anything under 45 MPH I didn't notice the vibration.
  • I would go over to Pep Boys or Autozone or maybe where you bought the car and ask them where it is located....They usually give that info free...
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    It is common for tire imbalances to only effect a narrow speed range. If you had not hit those speeds previously in the drive, I am not at all surprised you saw it after 15 minutes.
  • Does your OB have limited slip in the back?. If yes, then try adding an LSD additive to the rear differential.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The large moonroof can cause buffeting if it was open.

If the roof rack was reversed it could be noisy, too. They should have the round edge pointing forward, like the wings of an airplane.

Test drive another one, I bet the noise disappears.

-juice
  • Well, after reading all the posts here, you would think I learned. I just went to my dealership for a State Inspection and Oil Change for my 2001 Outback 4EAT Ltd. I now need a new head gasket as it is leaking all over. Well, they informed me at 96,000 miles that I should *probably* replace it. I was under my extended 100,000 mile warranty at that time.

Now, I have 107,000 miles and it is all up to me! Take it from me, don't let it wait!

I am about to embark on a new job with a LOT of commuting again. My dealership said I should be good to go another 100k with the new head gasket ($1400 cost).

Any thoughts? Should I trust that? I love Outback and don't want to part with it yet!! :confuse:
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    I think you can. They seem to have been honest enough to suggest replacing it before your extended warranty expired......

A replaced head gasket should indeed be good for at least as long as you will keep it, maybe another 50K miles?
    Is that for both sides?

What coverage do they offer, the usual 12 months?

-juice
  • I am confused... both sides? And, you mean warranty coverage?
    Yes, gaskets on both sides of the engine. Left and right bank of cylinders.

-juice
  • That is a good question. They just said Head Gasket and $1400 worth of repairs! :cry:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,464
    Sounds to me like they are suggesting a single gasket replacement - I would recommend you replace both of them (probably up your costs to $1800 from $1400, as most work is already done to get to the one gasket) and the water pump/timing belt while you are at it. The chances are in your favor that these new gaskets should last another 100K or more.
  • I had my headgasket (both sides) replaced on my 2001 Forester in Aug-06 at 116K for $1750 and I paid another $250 to replace the timing belt and water pump at cost since the engine was apart, the belt and pump were a no brainer. Fluids and oil change included. I am hoping to get another 100K miles out of the car.
    $2,000 for another 75,000 to 100,000 miles is, indeed a no-brainer. ;)
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    "The chances are in your favor that these new gaskets should last another 100K or more."

I respectfully disagree, having done head gaskets 3 times on '99-up 2.5L SOHC engines. I would dump ASAP and in fact that's exactly what I did in 2002. :P

~Colin
    Well, what would you say the life expectancy to be? 90,000, 75,000, 50,000 :confuse:
    I thought most repairs were successful once the new gaskets were used. Are you sure you did not have any head warpage (the car, not you) issues?

Karl
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    It's impossible for me to assign a meaningful statistical value, but I do know numerous people that have had head gaskets fail repeatedly.

So I would opine that, no, it does not mean that you're set for another 100k miles.

~Colin
    I think it's probably a fundamental design flaw that could reoccur. I am not aware of any re-engineering of the gaskets that would permanently fix the problem.
    Well then, I will consider myself fortunate that I got another 50K out of my 98 OB with no re-occurrence before trading it in.
  • I just replaced my timing belt a few months ago. I have always been very good about any preventative maintenance- this is the one thing that I didn't worry about even though it was leaking last year. My bad.

Well, I start back to my daily commuting grind of over 100 highway miles a day starting in January. This car was with me for the last 3 years with heavy highway driving of 36k miles a year. I will be back to about 30k miles a year come January. I hope to get at least 2 more years (160k miles) out of the car.
    While that's true, there are also many of us still on the original gaskets, 9 years and 91k miles and mine are fine.

Dad has an '01 Outback and it's fine, too.

Of course I just jinxed myself.

-juice
    My old 2000 Outback now has over 120K miles on it with my folks, and no gasket problem there (yet) either.
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    i'll just tag onto yours and add the jinx to yours .. but i'm at about 85,000 and ok with a 2001 Outback
  • Hi. Newbie to this forum, so please forgive a simple question. We've had a '99 Forester, and are keeping it. Now we also have an '07 Forester XT Sport. I want to know if I can move the Trailer Hitch from the '99 to to the '07. The local Subaru Parts dealer has actually not been very helpful. Wouldn't even tell me if the Part # for the two models is the same or different. This swap makes sense to me, as the '07 is stick-shift with a stronger engine, and, if I do it myself, I save $230+.
    Thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I doubt it would fit.

Also stick is less-fit for towing than an AT.

-mike
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    >>Also stick is less-fit for towing than an AT<<

I don't think so. You will need a new hitch but I'd go for an after market Class II hitch. The Subaru hitch is rated at 2,000 lbs while the vehicle is rated at 2400 lbs.

You have to add a cooler if you are going to tow any weight at all (with an AT) up any incline at all. I had 13K out of 43K miles all over the U.S. It was great.

AT is fine too. And before 03 Subaru rated the AT's less than MT's. And unless they have improved that 4EAT it spends most of the time hunting and searching for a gear while towing..