Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    stevek, LOL! Sounds like another OCD member!

..Mike

..Mike

• leomortleomort Posts: 451
    Dennis,

What are some better aftermarket brakes that are out there?

Thanks,

Leo
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Dennis - While on a business trip once, the Camry's pads went. My wife took it to a local Midas shop. When I got home the first thing I did was take the car for a drive to test the brakes. Big clunking noise when going over bumps. I knew exactly what they did. After removing the wheel my suspicion was confirmed. They only reattached one of the two bolts. Man was I pissed. Went back to the the shop and they told me it was no big deal. I lost it (thinking my wife and kids were in this car) and scared a few customer away. I hate having other people work on my cars. Anyway, that Midas shop is no longer in business.

Steve - like the idea of removing the pan. Better than shaking the car! Maybe I should just replace the hoses with new ones.;)

-Greg
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    My hat is off to you man, you definitely need help, next time I get any grief from my my wife I have marked post #1094 to refer to.Ha!Ha!.
    Cheers Pat.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    VSD sounds like a marketing gimmick to charge more money. I doubt the pad material is any different from one car to the next.

Greg - I burn my arms every time I change my oil (hot oil drains more completely). I've actually learned to use a diaper. Works like a charm to contain the spill, so my hands are clean.

Do you actually remove the oil pan? I may do that at 60k, but wow...

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    No, he was joking. :-D

I do seriously yank the whole engine to change my oil though... hang it on the cherrypicker and shake all the bad stuff out.

-Colin
  • Yeah well, I started walking everywhere because I don't want to do any cold start/short trip wear on any of my vehicles.

bit
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I drove back to the body shop in Santa Cruz today to remove some gunk on the side of my door panel that somehow got there while they were performing the repair.

While I was there, I asked about the finish and the manager pointed out that they intentionally don't sand the finish completely flat so that it matches the factory paint a little more. He pointed out that most cars come from the factory with a little bit of "orange peel" and a completely flat finish would stand out. He pointed out some non-repaired panels that indeed had a bit of orange peel going on.

I'm satisfied.

Ken (OCD lite)
  • There ya go. We should meet up some time to compare orange peel. I don't even turn the flourescent lights on in my garage anymore because I don't want to see the swirl marks in the finish of my Studebaker.

bit
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I will be starting an OCD workshop. As the resident Psychologist on this board I feel the need to made a valuable contribution to my colleagues. Actually there will be two separate workshops: one to control/decrease obsessive-compulsive behaviours, and a second to learn how to be obsessive-compulsive. Sign up by email. My rates are highly competitive.

Ross
  • I'm in for both. Wanna control it and make sure I'm doing it right at the same time... striving for the perfect OCD.

bit
    that's not bad!! You are well on your way.

Ross

P.S. With your qualifications you could hire on as a consultant. Interested?
  • anibalbanibalb Posts: 193
    Hey guys,

I just had a few laughs reading this OCD thread. Great stuff. I thought that I was the only perfectionist. Boy am I wrong. I like the idea of taking the pan out every oil change. Mybe I should try it. Here is an idea. Let's make disposable cars. 3k and get a new one! Taking the engine out of the car to do an oil change.......ha ha ha.

Now here is a true story. It took me 8 hours to do an oil change on a VW Rabbit once. I remember everyone making fun of me especially the manager at the autoparts store. A few years later he told me that he ran into the same problem as he was working on someone elses VW. I laughed so hard!

What happens is that there is no room and we had to take out everything to tear the filter apart because the moron who put it in last did not wet the rubber seal with oil!!!! How is that for a laugh.
  • miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    Wanna control it and make sure I'm doing it right at the same time hehe I had to add that one to my profile.

..Mike

..Mike

• pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    this before, but....watch out for "lifetime" warranty deals. Our pads had a good mix between soft and hard. Hard pads make more noise and can have an effect on the rotors. We have some noisy pads, but it is kind of mid-range between too soft and too hard. Other vehicles (Mercedes I think) us a soft pad that is very quiet, but requires frequent changing. Ah, science- Harder pads have more vibration and really hit the rotors causing more noise. But, they won't wear too fast. I guess it is up to the individual how much noise they will tolerate. They will last, however.

Patti
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    if hard brake pads are rougher on the rotors than I'd rather stay away from them. Can get two pads replaced for the cost of one rotor.

Leo
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Are known to go through brakes rather quickly on late models. My dad's '97 goes through them every 10-15K, my cousin's OB goes through them ever 15-20K. My '97 rodeo went almost 40K on the rears, and 65K on the fronts! Go figure. I usually buy the best brake pads I can get my hands on @ the local shop. usually semi-metallic, since my driving usually warrents good brakes and good tires!

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Leo - regarding aftermarket pads, ask the others since I've never ventured there. Try the "mods" section.

Greg - The goofballs that worked on my car at Meineke didn't know how to take off my OBS wheel covers. In black writing it says, "Turn this way --->" (or something like that). The manager came to me and said, it's taking a long time because there's about a hundred screws on the wheel cover. I had to go in the garage and show them how to do it. It took me 2 seconds and they were working on it for an hour. When I picked up the car they didn't even tighten them properly. I went back and raised a little sand (the manager didn't want to be bothered because he was eating lunch) and they eventually had to find another OBS and switch the wheel covers.

Dennis
    My VW Golf went through them with great appetite. In 100k km. (60k miles) I went through 2 complete sets of pads, the third set was well worn and the rotors were in need of their second replacement. Most of the driving was in the city, but it was a 5 speed and I drive very conservatively. By contrast, when I had my 10k km. oil change I was told the pads on my '01 Forester S auto were 5% worn. I realize that I'm not going to get 200k out of the set, but the wear is likely to be much better than on the Golf. I should also point out that Rufus's brakes have been totally silent to date.

Ross
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Juice - Never thought of using a diaper. Do you use new or used ones? ;) Actually, I buy those bags of plastic gloves at home depot. Don't like getting finger prints on the engine or new oil filter! hmm,,,,,wonder if I can use those gloves with diaper changes?

Dennis - I really appreciate finding a shop or dealer that takes pride in their work. Maybe we should all open one up.

-Greg