Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

1634635636637638640»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,527

And if you have two relays in there with exactly the same part numbers, you can switch them out for a test.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085

If the AC system was ever totally empty... and was not properly dessicated before recharging... then there may be moisture in the system.

Why do I tell you this? Becasue your symptoms point to moisture in the system. After running fine for a short time, the water in the system can FREEZE and plug-up the orface-valve. At that point, the HIGH side goes to max pressure while the LOW side goes very low... and no cooling takes place.

All AC systems contain a "dryer" unit which is supposed to desiccate the moisture from the system. Perhaps your Dryer is saturated.

• stackman1stackman1 Posts: 53

Yes. I don't think it was ever totally depleted but I could be wrong. I also was wondering if it could be icing. I mean why would the compressor work great for 5 minutes but not blow cold after that - even though the compressor is engaged? Then wait 10 minutes - run it again - good for 5 minutes etc...

Yes it could be icing--that points to low freon or clogged orifice tube. If you are icing, you should see it on the dryer. Also you could have totally gunked up condenser and radiator fins--time for a pressure wash if you see that.

Is the drier on the 2002 Impreza OBS in the dash with the evaporator? I dont see it.

No I think it's probably on the right inner fender area, in front though I'm not sure. The proper name is "receiver dryer".

There is a silver cylinder running the full length of the right side of my condenser. It is about 1.5" in diameter. I am hoping this is it - might take pic in morning. I read that in the 2001-2002 time period they moved the receiver/dryer from inside the condenser to the outside. I bought my 2002 in August of 2001 - go figure. It seems like a pretty solid and lengthy tube....I don't know - the ones I have seen look like smaller soda cans.

Looks like my receiver/dryer while external to the condenser is integrated directly into it. There are no lines just soldered ports every few inches up the side of the condenser.