Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    What the heck is Subaru thinking. Went for a test drive on Monday drove an 06 XT. It was nice except I noticed the high pitched sound during the entire drive. Then I went on these boards and found it is not uncommon. Why would they not fix this before potential buyers drive them? This lost them a sale, terrible marketing decision.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    you likely were hearing the turbo whine. If it is annoying to you, try the standard Forester, it has enough power for any situation I have found, plus will get you about 5 mpg better.

John
  • Howdy. I'm the proud owner of a lovely little Subie named Harriet. Unfortunately, her headlights have not been lovely lately. Left one (lowbeam) went. In the attempt to replace it, I noticed that the electrical connector was not connecting. I realized why when part of the black plastic connector housing fell off in my hand. Is there a better solution than going to my (expensive) repair shop or the (probably just as expensive) Subie dealer and having them replace the entire headlight wiring? Can the connector itself be fixed? Aargh.
    Thanks for help in advance.
    Sincerely

Kate (and Harriet, though I'm a mite upset with her right now.. and my lack of repair skillz)
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    Dear Harriet,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather at the present time, but I think the prescription for your improved heath might not be too painful to bear. Tell your master, Kate, that while the high beam connector looks to be fairly unique and quite possibly expensive, the low beam (H1 bulb) uses fairly generic right angle spade connectors. I am willing to bet that for a mere dollar or two, she could stop by her local autoparts store and buy a blister pack of connectors that would do the job reasonably well. If there are any that specifically say "high temperture applications", those would probably be the best bet. It is heat that probably killed the original ones. And if she asked politely, the nice man behind the counter might even loan her a wire stripper and crimping tool. And if she promises her undying devotion to make all of her future purchases there, she might even be able to get him to spare 2 minutes and have him come out and do the job! Oh, and remind her to give him coffee money as a thank you when the task is done.....

(Kate - thanks for the laugh, I needed it today!!!)

Steve
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    My mistake, it was a 2.5 X model, no turbo. I guess I could find one without the noise, but this problem seems common enough that you would think Subaru would issue a fix for them.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,085
    most likely the diffy...normal for Subie AWD
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    If it was the fuel pump, like 3-4 people have reported here, then I agree Subaru should pull those cars and fix them ASAP. When we see 3-4 independent posts here, I start thinking they have a design flaw or a bad batch of pumps. The thing is, most dealers are oblivious to stuff like this (the car practically has to burst into flames before the notice defects). Subaru of America needs to make this a priority otherwise more customers will get a bad impression of the vehicle. If they think it's normal, then they won't buy a Forester because it appears to be a noisy car.

Craig
  • jcpressjcpress Posts: 15
    >

So did I. Well, technically East Massapequa.

Joel
  • dstew1dstew1 Posts: 275
    "you likely were hearing the turbo whine. If it is annoying to you, try the standard Forester"

As the proud owner of an 06 XT, I sincerely hope the turbo whine wouldn't annoy anyone. It's simply the car's way of saying:

"PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEDADDYPLEASE!!!" :D

Doug
    (Only 910 miles and dying to give baby what it wants)
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    lol I like the sound of turbos also. But, the conservative side of me dominates the other 95% of the time.

My favorite--a turbo whine in a diesel engine. Now THAT is where the performance and economy are perfectly welded.

John
    Joel,

Wow! East Massapequa, as in Amityville schools, or still in Massapequa? We were up near Carman Rd (hop the fence, and into Sunrise Mall), so we too were considered the eastern side of Massapequa. A.G. Berner HS (back when it was still a HS) graduate, class of '75. Now all go to Massapequa High.

Steve
    <<We were up near Carman Rd (hop the fence, and into Sunrise Mall), so we too were considered the eastern side of Massapequa. A.G. Berner HS (back when it was still a HS) graduate, class of '75.>>

Steve,

I lived one block east of Carman Mill Road. Out my door, look one block to the west and there was Berner (HS at the time). I'm Amityville HS class of '87.

As for the Subaru, I'm bringing it in to the shop tomorrow for a 2nd opinion on the A/C.

Joel
    Joel,

I am always amazed by what a small world it is! We were practically neighbors. Proceed south on Carman Mill, make a right onto Merrick, and another right after the diner, and you have my wife's cousin! They still live there, and we get down to visit once in a blue moon. Did you say you were still in that area?

On the Subaru, I hope that I answered your question about how much work you could reasonably do yourself without professional help.

Steve
    >

Yes, you did. I actually brought the car to another shop today and they said it just needed a pound of freon. It now sounds like the compressor kicks in when I turn on the A/C and it definitely blows cold air.

I don't live in the Massapequa area anymore, but I did look at a house on that block where you make the right off of Merrick Road to get to your wife's cousin's house. I get back there every once in a while since my brother lives in Massapequa Park and I still have friends in the Amityville/Farmingdale area.
    and it definitely blows cold air. Cool! (literally....). ;) There is a low pressure switch, so if the freon level was below that, the system goes on permanent vacation until recharged. Still, the question is where did it go? Very slow leak that has always been there, or a new, more serious problem?

Steve
    <<Still, the question is where did it go? Very slow leak that has always been there, or a new, more serious problem?>>

Don't know, don't care at this point. I'm going to sell it and rid myself of the problem. But at least I didn't spend $1200 to fix it. What more serious problem do you think it could be? Do you think it could actually be that the compressor and condenser are shot like my other mechanic said? I can't see that as being the case since it's actually working at the moment. But I'm waiting to see. I'm just not going to spend any more money on this thing. Thanks for all your help.

Joel
    I was thinking in terms of compressor seals. They break down with time and leak freon to the outside. One hint; run the A/C every other day or so. If you keep the oil circulating (it tends to drain from the compressor and pool down at the lowest spot in the condensor), you stand the best chance of keeping the seals "sealed", and the freon in.

What are you looking at to replace the Forester?

Steve
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    I have a 2005 forrester and have noted an unknown rattle coming from the steering column since purchase. it is inconsistent and so I have not been able to show the dealer what I am talking about. sounds almost like keys rattling together but have gone so far as to remove ignition key from ring to verify that this is not the case. definitely coming from within assembly of either steering column or dash near driver.

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas?
  • crashton6crashton6 Posts: 245
    I think I may have some good news for you. My XT did the same thing. On rough roads I got the darnedest rattle out of the steering column. I was living with it, because it was intermittent & I knew if I took it to the dealer they'd say "what rattle"? One day I was driving by the dealer & it was rattling up a storm. I quickly pulled in to the shop & when asked what I wanted told them to listen to this demon rattle. By gosh they heard it too! I made an appointment for the next week to have the rattle removed. Our best guess was the cruise control switch on the column. After having the car for a day I picked it up & was told they ordered a new switch. Several weeks later it's back in to replace the switch. Except they didn't replace it.....they actually fixed a defective part instead of just replacing it!!! I was floored! The service writer told me that they had just gotten a bulletin from Subaru telling them how to fix the switch. They pop the switch open & put a piece of cloth in there to keep the innards from rattling. The rattles gone & I'm happy. :)

Chuck
  • Hello all. I am new to the site. I have a 05 FXT that smells like anti-freeze when its shut off. The level goes down a little over time. The dealer could not find a leak. Today I noticed there is a sticky residue from the back of the engine onto the transmission. There is no smell. I can't tell if its a leak or a coating sprayed on by the factory. Please help.