Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    According to the parts list I have that is the correct part# for the cupholder cap.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Check out this link. This isn't the one I have but it's similar.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_2000&L2=L2_2050&SKU=44480

Jon

• Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Re: ayaresm Dec 7, 2001 11:15am

Hi Mark,

Yes, the front and rear washers share the same tank in the engine compartment. The 1st generation (90-94) Legacys had front and rear tanks (don't know about 2G). Perhaps a blocked line near the tank or a kink in the hose(i.e., manufacturing defect) -- all guesses, I've not heard of this problem.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    Pat,

The part # you gave me IS correct. The problem is that when the parts guy orders it, what comes in is the rear ashtray cover. The part comes in a little plastic baggie bearing the part # of the cupholder cap. They apparently have the wrong part labeled with the part # of the part I need....so how will I ever get the correct part if they don't have it sorted correctly?

Hopefully they will figure this out soon, right now I have the new console in but its missing the little rubber piece and the cap to hold it on.

-r
  • Options
    bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    When I first used the washer on my 00 GT Ltd, it didn't work. At first, I thought the fluid may have froze in the tubes out of the pump. I had picked up the car in December and it was quite cold. After a second failed attempt on a warmer day, I knew I had to investigate. The wire leading to the pump was detached. Supposedly, it was check before customer delivery according to the sign off sheet. It was pretty obvious where it had to get plugged in. It's possible that your wire lug has become detach or is detached, just as I found on my vehicle. Good luck!

If you find a detached wire, I would start questioning Subaru's quality control from the factory to the dealer to the customer.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Same thing happened to me when took delivery of my 01 GT Ltd. hmmmmmmmm maybe the same guy on the assembly line?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Maybe your car was PDI'd at 5pm on Friday? Kidding. ;-)

-juice
  • Options

..Mike

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Processed, Delivered, Inspected (I think??)

Bob
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    n/m
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    That's it. Thanks Colin.

Bob
  • Options

..Mike

• Options
    Got 4 BF Goodrich winter slaloms installed today and I got them installed and balanced for $276.00 Canadian.

I persuaded the tire dealer to take the RE92s in part exchange, they allowed me $75 each, I was gonna stick them in the classifieds and ask $50 each not even expecting to get that, including taxes I saved $345.

Needless to say I am feeling very pleased with myself.

I have had BF Goodrich before and was happy with them.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    I haven't heard of a packaging problem with the cup holders. When that occurs, they usually get it straightened out within hours (all lots are pulled and inspected/corrected). Who is your dealer? We can check it out at the 800 number if you call us.

Thanks,

Patti
  • Options
    The info. you received here is correct. Same tank. If the dealer didn't catch it during PDI, they should jump on it right away. That is something that they check out.

Maybe there is a blockage in the tubing?

Patti
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    My '02 uses the front bottle for both. There are 2 pump motors in it, one higher than the other. The upper one is for the back. When the bottle gets below about 50%, the rear washer pump inlet will be above the line, and will not work. Try topping it off and see what happens.

Steve
  • Options
    Pat: glad to hear they gave you a credit. We swapped from RE92s to BFGs on my wife's car, and those were also an improvement.

-juice
  • Options
    I am also glad of the credit I did not take such a hit in the wallet, I guess I was wise changing the tires, I did not spend all this money on an AWD vehicle to go slip sliding around, in the words of Simon and Garfunkle.

I actually went shopping for Blizzaks, But not a tire dealer in Ottawa had them in 205-55-16, I could get 215, or 225-60-16, at $60 cheaper a tire than the 205-55-16, both HR rated so go figure.

Anyway the manager at the dealers was running winter slaloms on his personal car when he could have his choice of any tire so that is recommendation enough for me.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Yeah, you figure he knows the most trouble-free tires, given he receives all the complaints!

-juice
  • Options
    You got that right,

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Slip sliding away........
  • Options
    You are probably right But it was Simon and Garfunkle at one time.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    Hi all-

I have hit 1600 miles and 3 months on my 2001 Outback - very happy so far. Two problems - 1st the front winshield wiper fluid ejector isn't functioning - I just read the posts and see a pattern here. I'll check for that plug mentioned. Other problem is harmonic noise when breaking in reverse - also read about it in here and will ask about shims.

Question: Should I bring the car in now or at 3000 miles? Also - anyone use Becker for service? I purchased there but its not my closest dealer....

THanks in advance..this board is great!
  • Options
    I'd bring it in now. 3mos/3K miles so you hit the 3 month guideline.

Patti
  • Options
    Patti,

I called SOA today and spoke to someone about that mystery part that appears to be packaged incorrectly. I also talked to my parts guy again. My parts guy said that the problem was with Fuji back in Japan...basically, the warehouse here in Atlanta is receiving these parts straight from Japan, therefor, there is no new arrival date in sight. The person I talked to at SOA said she'd call and see if she could get an arrival date. The whole thing seems strange to me, and all we are talking about is a $6 part....but, until I get it, my console will continue to look 'broken' :(

Hopefully it will all get cleared up soon. If you happen to find out anything, please let me know.

Thanks!

-r
  • Options
    I dropped my OBW at my dealership yesterday for the long awaited swap of the hitch assembly (details in posts on the OBW board - trailers issues). We had one false start last week when they again got the wrong assembly shipped by SoA and had to wait for a credit before reordering. Anyhow, I now have the L1010LS100 on the car, the lights are working properly, etc.

I also asked about the valve train chatter during initial cold morning driving, and if the valve lash was adjustable. They said that they get a lot of complaints about this, but it is normal. All recent H4 Subaru engines sound 'tappy' under load when cold, and as long as it goes away when the temp guage begins to rise, ignore it. Lash isn't adjustable. They wouldn't even write it down on the service order. If I was still concerned, pick a cold day later in the winter and leave it with them overnight for a morning check. I might do it just for 'peace of mind'.

And while I was there, I figured that I might as well get rid of the dreaded AM brake squeal and asked them to install the shim kit. The service advisors looked at me as though I had sprouted another head! One would think that by now they would have gotten the word on this. I called the 800#, spoke to a nice lady named Daisy who gave me the part # (26298AE020) and the service bulletin # (630-01), and called back the dealer with the info. The kit is now on order....

While on the phone, I asked Daisy to pass on my word of thanks to Patti for her participation in this forum and all of the useful info she provided. This is my 8th new car, and have never had so much valuable data at my fingertips!

Steve
  • Options
    Glad to hear they took care of that hitch for you. I agree 100% about Patti. In fact, her presence her may likely affect my next purchase decision.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Every car engine has it's typical cold-start noise. Our boxers are, in fact, a little "tappy". If the noise goes away after a few minutes, then it's generally nothing to worry about. You should hear my wife's Jetta VR6 engine -- sounds like a tractor for the first 30 seconds.

I have to agree with juice that my next purchase decision will probably be heavily swayed by Patti. Subaru better be paying her well!

Ken
  • Options
    My Subie is ultra-quiet compared to our 2 Mazdas. The 626 sounds like a tap dancer until it's warm. With my Miata, it's intermittent, but I do get it on cold mornings, for the first few seconds.

Perhaps it's because of the way the oil sits in the engine. It takes longer for the oil to reach the valves on an in-line four or a 60 degree V than it does for a boxer.

-juice
  • Options
    I wonder would it be possible for you to find the part# for the ignition illumination ring on thr 2002 models.

I know for certain that it is a separate part from the ignition switch, the computer parts list just shows the ignition switch and not the ring.

Because of this my parts guy tells me it is not separate but it does not make sense, if it was not meant to be replaced separately why does it just pull straight off the switch as a separate part.

I know on Hondas which are assembled the same way you can buy the illumination ring as a separate part as I have done so.

Thanks and Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    As I posted the other day I got 4 winter tires BF. Goodrich Winter Slaloms.

Well I am pleased to report so far I am very happy with them, They are quiet and smooth running, as well it has been pouring rain here since last night and the performance is great in the wet.

I had to make a panic stop last night in the wet and no drama just a smooth controlled stop,
    so far so good.

I do not expect much different performance in snow, I will post my observations about how they perform in the white stuff when it finally arrives here.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    They just swapped the wiring harness and controller, right, or did the entire hitch have to be replaced?

The accesories catalog for 02 shows the hitch part number to be L1010LS001, but you mention L1010LS100. Which is correct?

Craig
  • Options
    marc1marc1 Member Posts: 1
    Like Colin in message 3688, my '01 Legacy Outback squeals when I back it out of the garage; I could not find any other posts on this..does Subaru have a fix for this? I'm not sure what to ask the dealer for..another aside: after approx. 15 minutes running time, the odor from the catalytic converter is quite annoying..it lasts for 15-20 seconds, then goes away..any thoughts..Thanks, Marc
  • Options
    vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    Robert,
    Great idea to swap the OB console with the new one. It solves the cupholder problem as well as the accidental turning on of the seat heaters.

Could you give me a brief idea what's involved with doing the swap?
    Thanks,
    Vince
  • Options
    Vince,

If you look back on the Modifications and photo gallery forums, you will see some recent discussions as well as the part #s necessary to complete the swap.

There is not a whole lot involved...you just need about 5 different parts and about $150. Once you pop the trim around the shift selector and undo the 4 screws holding the console cover (the part with the actual cup-holders in it), you have access to 4 more screws that hold the lower half of the console. All of it just swaps right over...it is pretty intuitive.

-r
  • Options
    In the words of 'Mr. Mom': 220, 221 what ever it takes! You are right, now I am confused also. To make a very long story short, I tried to order the latest hitch kit for my '02, but the dealer gave me the down-level 000 package. I had a variety of minor problems after I installed it, including a bad (probably) lighting interface module. When the parts mgr tried to order just another module, he realized that 000 hitches were not for '02 OBW's, and, after some haggling about who was responsible for labor when the wrong part is sold, agreed to swap out everything. I inconspicuously marked all components, and everything was indeed changed.

Unfortunately, they did not leave me the new paperwork, so I cannot verify the P/N. The accessories brochure says L1010LS001, but my parts order ticket says L1010LS100 so I don't really know which is right.

Steve
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That is one of my favorite lines of all time, and it's even funnier because not everyone gets it. Last time I saw Mr. Mom, that line cracked me up, but my wife didn't even blink. Handyman humor, I guess.

Craig
  • Options
    stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Even if the dealer will not do anything about the cold engine noise, I would insist on putting down any/all complaints on the order. In the future if it develops into something else than "it is normal they all do that", you have a record of it. Trust me I have been there :(
    Oh, ...not with Subaru.
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    "whatever it takes," is a line used by Mr. Mom's wife later in the movie, during the dream scene. Also very funny.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Another of my favorite quotes from Michael Keaton is "A clipboard and an assuring nod will get you into any building in the world" from The Paper. :)

-mike
  • Options
    Mark,

See post 3775 (about 8 up from yours) for your answer.....

Good luck,

Steve
  • Options
    Marc: that may be Subaru's infamous "new car stench", or the undercoating burning off. Fortunately it goes away after a while. Usually you hope new car smell lasts, but not with a Subie!

-juice
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    had the same issue with my RS. Just bring it back to Subaru and raise hell. Went back twice and it's somewhat fixed. Squeels only when it's wet. Weird huh? The pads are new too! Something about harmonic resonance...
  • Options
    Replaced the leaking head gasket this weekend, only removed the LH head and left the engine in place. Not at all fun, but quicker than yanking the engine in this case. Myself and two friends put about 3 hours in Saturday and it was completely torn down. It took about 5 hours to put back together.

The good news: new head gasket does not leak.

The bad: it threw a MIL right away (not flashing) and while it idles fairly well, it stumbles when you tip into the throttle, and then recovers and revs OK. I didn't try to drive it after discovering this problem, we then set about trying to diagnose the problem without an OBD-II code scanner. (trying to find a compatible one to borrow now, will order one but it won't be here before the new year in all likelihood.)

Initial considerations:
    - timing off
    - vacuum leak
    - air leak behind MAF sensor

Checked for a vacuum hose disconnected, couldn't find anything. Will look again tonight. Removed the torque chamber (black box on top of the throttle body) and found that it wasn't making a good seal, so I repaired the gasket (actually, a gutted filter) with adhesive. Quit last night at this point, to let the adhesive dry and also to get home at a reasonable time.

If that doesn't fix the problem and I don't find a disconnected vacuum line, then I think it's the timing. Before we removed the timing belt, I turned the motor over with the crank accessory bolt to the timing marks. There are notches on each cam pulley that point straight up. Used white out to paint a stripe across the belt and cam pulleys at that mark, and then put a third mark on the crankshaft gear.

The odd thing is that after reinstalling the LH head the cam pulley wouldn't stay at TDC. Without a timing belt, when you turn the cam pulleys they advance in 45-90 degree rotations at time due to the cam profile and valvesprings. The cam pulley is keyed so that it cannot be out of phase... so based on that, we made the belt line up on the two marks we could get to TDC (RH cam, crankshaft) and then lined up on the third marks on the belt and LH cam even though it wasn't at TDC. I still don't feel comfortable about that, but the car idled fine and revved OK other than the initial stumble. It isn't fun removing the timing cover and resetting the timing, plus we don't have the luxury of a known good now, so I hope this isn't it.

-Colin
    PS, why didn't I spend more time on it? Worked 8 hours on Saturday, a few more hours Sunday and then went to a birthday party for my cousin. And I'm home sick today with a touch of the flu... bleh.
  • Options
    I think if it was a vacuum leak, that it would stall. That's what Lucien's engine did when the black hose under the MAF was left disconnected, remember?

I'd suggest the same thing I suggested to him - take it apart, and put it back together carefully, piece by piece.

You lost me on the timing issue, way over my head. Hope you feel better. Chicken soup.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    (non-mechanical inquiry, please be kind)

does the age of the belt come into play? (ie: is it stretched?)

isn't a non-flashing MIL representative of something amiss with the emissions stuff? if that's the case, then it's gotta be a hose or connector missed in reassembly.

-Brian
  • Options
    Brian--

flashing MIL means there's a misfire, which I would expect if the timing were off by more than a tooth or two. also note that the EJ25 SOHC uses two critical sensors for timing-- the crank angle sensor which is right above the crankshaft timing gear, and the cam angle sensor which is housed in the LH cam sprocket (it's not really a pulley, as I referred to this morning--it's got teeth).

anyway, if I saw a flashing MIL I'd probably tear it down right away and certainly wouldn't have tried looking for other causation while letting the engine run.

re: age of the belt

they look frayed and weathered when in need of replacement and this one still looks very good at 38k miles. yes they stretch a bit over time, and the EJ25 uses an automatic belt tensioner. it's a viscous hydraulic piston that presses against the front of the block, which makes a tension roller attached to it take up the slack in the belt. no idea why they chose that, FHI being oddballs I guess. you have to compress the little piston slowly (over 3 min) in a press and then stick a 2mm allen wrench through it. once you have it in place and all is good, you pull out the allen wrench-- kind of like a cotter pin-- and tension is maintained.

i'll see what kind of pics I have tonight, I didn't take many because I got very dirty and didn't want to touch the camera. I had an oil leak earlier this year and the cooling fans sprayed it all over everything on the bottom half of the engine. should have degreased and power washed it...

-Colin
  • Options
    Did you try resetting the ECU to see if the light comes on again? It might not come back on.

The belt is only scheduled for replacement at 105k miles (inspection at 90k).

If you have to go back in there, wash it then. This is why you should have a 3rd vehicle like I do. Wait a sec, you do, one with two wheels I believe...

-juice
  • Options
    yep, but I don't have proper cold weather riding gear. I ventured out the other day in the best stuff I've got when it was 50ish and totally froze my.. uh, let's just say it was cold. :-D

but anyway no I haven't reset the ECU and restarted the car yet. we were really pressed for time last night and there's literally no more than 20 minutes of diagnostics in the car since it was fired and the problem noticed. the battery is disconnected now, and tonight when I put the intake box back together and check again for loose vacuum hoses I am considering the possiblity that nothing else is wrong. I'm not getting my hopes up too much though.

-Colin
  • Options
    The hands freeze first. Boy do I remember having numb hands.

Good luck tonight.

-juice