Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    no wonder you're sick!

-Brian
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I can feel your frustration from here, I would be inclined think that given your problem with the lefthand head not wanting to stay at TDC, your valve timing is off by probably one tooth.

Cheers Pat.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    it was more than one tooth pat, it was advanced (to the right) probably 10-15 degress past TDC. the other alternative was retarded more than that. again, when you rotate the cam gear without a belt restricting it, the cam profile and valvespring pressure causes it to 'jump' between 45-90 ranges where (presumably) overall spring pressure reaches a trough.

would it cause a throttle problem like I attempted to describe though? it revs OK, just stumbles at tip-in.

-Colin
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Wow, Colin. What were you driving until you got around to fixing your Impreza? Stay warm!

Ken
    Could be a vacuam leak but I don,t think so If you had a leak you would be more than likely to have a lousy idle as well.

I am still inclined to think valve timing,though it does not seem to be off by much,obviously this being my first sube I don,t have a lot of experience with the boxer engine it is alot simpler to time an I4 engine, although timing is timing.

In this case Colin I would love to be proved wrong although everything points to timing,given how you went about aligning the marks makes me believe that you ended up one tooth out and thats what is giving you the stumble as opposed to an all out misfire.

Cheers Pat.
    that's gotta be it then, but it probably still wouldn't hurt to retrace all the hoses and such just to be certain.

10-15 degrees is alot in advance terms, isn't it? does it pre-detonate at all with some load & throttle?

when revving, does it stumble and then gradually increase revs, or does it stumble and then catch up to where it should be revving at?

-Brian (probably thinks he knows more than he actually does) :)
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Technically speaking, the TDC marks are only there as a convenient "absolute" reference. You can also synchronize the pulleys using a relative reference, you just need to know the ratios among all the pulleys. The fact that they are cogged pulleys makes it very easy, since the angular variations are divided into an integer number of discrete "steps". Because the cog size has to be the same on each pulley (ie, to mesh with the belt), you can get the various ratios by counting the total number of steps on each pulley, and just ratio the numbers.

So, you could sync the two pulleys that do settle at TDC, and then rotate them with the belt until they are in phase with the stubborn pulley (wherever it wants to sit). If the pully doesn't want to go to the mountain, bring the mountain to the pulley!

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    10-15 degrees is a lot.

I played with my Miata's timing recently. Stock setup is 10 degrees before TDC. I advanced the timing to 14 degrees, because Mazda was very conservative, and you gain a little low end torque that way.

Some owners go as far as 18 degrees, but then premium fuel is needed. So a change of 8 degrees requires the use of premium fuel.

-juice
    I was trying to reply last night but my cablemodem was having issues again. (no, it's not @Home.)

I agree with Pat's diagnosis and will set the timing again, using Craig's suggestion if necessary. (Good idea Craig! Should have been standing there in my garage at the time, lol.)

Feel a little better today and am back at work but didn't do anything last night with the car due to the flu.

-Colin
    Colin, never mind what I wrote last night, it appears you did exactly that with your white-out marks. I re-read your original post more carefully this time, and what you did was totally acceptable. If you synched the RH cam pulley and the crank pulley at TDC with the white-out marks lined up where they were supposed to be, and then used your remaining white-out mark to match up the LH cam pulley, everything should be in phase. Putting the white marks on there was actually a very good idea.

Bottom line, you should be able to turn the crank pulley and verify that everything lines up at TDC with the belt on. If that's the case, I would dismiss valve timing as an issue.

Brian, Juice: I think we are beginning to confuse spark timing and cam timing here. Colin's issue pertains to synching the cams and the crank for proer intake/exhaust valve timing, which is entirely different from when you tell the plugs to fire. With bad spark timing, you lose performance and get into issues like pre-detonation. With bad valve timing, the engine probably won't run at all, and you could cause major damage if the piston and valves collide (older Hondas are famous for this).

Craig
    OK, I feel pretty silly now. Thanks for the correction.

Could the belt have slipped, so all the marks are off? Sounds like some of them lined up, though.

-juice
    craig,

that was the thinking on the white-out marks, that even though the LH cam wouldn't stay at TDC it was in the right place. (still don't know why, I seem to recall it did last year when I last had the belt off.)

anyway, several rotations of the engine still didn't result in the two cams lining up at their TDC marks. I think I should work to that goal and get the crankshaft at TDC on piston #1 and then I'm in business.

-Colin
    I put the disclaimer in my messages since I thought I might be mixing up some theories. ;P

Thanks for the explanation Craig (and pardon my rambling postings Colin). That makes sense. If the cam timing was off, the engine wouldn't sound normal, would it? At least it wouldn't be running smoothly like it should?

So, what else could cause a initial stumble like Colin's?

-Brian
  • moonsagemoonsage Member Posts: 19
    Just picked up my 02 Wintergreen Bean yesterday (so far the love affair is going great!)

I'm so thankful to have this community of real people (as opposed to sales & service folk) to get some opinions from! The Questions:

1. Gas grade. 90% of my driving will be stop & go & freeway driving (Bay Area Cal). I usually gas up at Costco but now that I have a vehicle I actually care about I'm wondering about the rumours that Costco gas is poor quality so I question putting their regular in the Subie. I was thinking mixing 1/2 - 1/2 reg & super each fill up. The dealer said mid grade was fine but use premium in the mountains.

2. Alignment. Re: the rumour that new subie's often come with poor alignment. It feels ok to me, but what do I know? (not much) Is it worth having the alignment checked?

3. Tire Pressure. I'll check it today (when I find my guage, which is in one of the piles of stuff taken from my old van & not sorted yet)

I'm sure this has all been discussed to death before, but I don't have the leisure to check all 3,700 messages here - a nice little search program would sure be a blessing!

Thanks all - hope to see you in the mountains before too long!

Jillian
    Costco gas is fine, and their premium probably costs less than Exxon's regular. Stick with Costco premium, I say. I just wish the Costco near me sold gas. The one that does is about 20 minutes away, bummer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix the alignment. It is tricky to get right with AWD, but if it's not pulling to one side I say leave it be.

I've heard some people report they bought cars with 40psi pumped in the tires. That's to avoid flat spotting while they sit in the dealer's lot, but they are supposed to air them down during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). If not, go ahead, 30-33psi is good depending on how soft or sporty you want your ride to be.

Congrats! I'm a little jealous, and I'm trying to talk the wife into a Bean, too.

-juice
    Colin: well, if they don't line up at TDC, then that's got to be the problem. Good luck, those cams can be stubborn to rotate into position.

Brian: I didn't think we needed disclaimers here, otherwise I'd have to tag ALL my posts with them!!

Jillian: If the H6 calls for premium, why not just use that all the time? Though you won't really hurt the engine, you will lose a little power. I'm just going to stick with premium in my Bean.

My Bean drives nice, and seems to be aligned correctly. I can't say the same for my first Outback, which was misaligned from the get-go. If your Bean seems OK, the alignment is probably fine. It's pretty obvious when it's bad.

Definitely check the tire pressure. My first Subaru was delivered with 35 psi in the tires, and the new Bean was set to 32 psi all around. I usually stick to the recommended 30F/29R inflation, or slightly higher, being careful to maintain that 1 psi difference front to back.

Craig
    crap. definitely taking the timing cover off, glad it isn't off much and glad this isn't an interference engine anyway. found this comment from Nick Biancalana (8Complex) searching on the iClub:

It was a peice of cake with the engine out of the car, but I imagine a real hassle if it wasn't.

Basically you have to get the cam gears and the crank gear turned so that the marks on the frontside of them are pointing directly up, then you have to find the marks on the new timing belt, find the mark that is in-between teeth instead of on them, then put that one on the driver's side cam mark and run the rest of it through the rest of the path - hopefully with marks all aligning. If they don't align, something is wrong.

Keep in mind that to get it off in the first place you have to remove the fans off the radiator (allow better clearance), the crank pulley and all belts, the front timing cover (lots of 10mm bolts along the edges), and then you need to pin the timing belt tensioner in it's most closed position (you can push it by hand to get it there), then remove the small cover over the timing belt where it runs on the crank gear.

Also note that the vertical position in the driver's side cam gear is when valves are open - so you need to muscle it up into position with an open-end wrench, and then prop it so that it is marked upwards - should be exactly when the valves are 100% open, so it should hold itself there without much problem.

With proper tools, I could probably do it in about an hour to hour and a half - but only because I've done it before.

Also note that this is for a MY00, though I believe it's the same for all SOHC engines, I would consult a manual for sure before undertaking this yourself.

talked to my dad about it and he remembers muscling the LH cam sprocket into position! he was busy with other things this weekend and stayed nice and clean while we toiled away.

-Colin
  • outback165outback165 Member Posts: 108
    Someone mentioned to me that I should change my air filter to a K&N. I think I know what he means, but not sure what's involved in doing that. Thoughts? I don't mess with anything under the hood Subaru isn't clearly marked as "Stupid-friendly" with the yellow plastic indicators. Big deal? Worth it? Just wondering..........
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Is it possible that the belt was already off a tooth when you removed it, so that when you added the white out line is was off? Just a thought. 90K miles before I need to worry about this. ;-) Good luck.

Greg
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Yeah - what Juice said. Congratulations. I like my tires at 33 PSI for the better handling on the Firestone tires (I believe you have the Bridgestones). Enjoy!

Greg
    greg-- the car should run pretty near normal when it's only off a tooth. without muscling it into position, the timing is off at least 5-6 teeth. ahhhhh... I'll take pics, hopefully good enough ones to make light of this.

-Colin
  • yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    I carry 32 psi all around and find the ride basically smooth with little or no wandering.

I use only premium and lately, have been tanking up with BJ's Wholesale Club fuel. Like Costco, I doubt these "clubs" would try to use less than a fair grade of gas. The negative publicity would certainly damage their reputations. With premium and just over 11k miles, I average between 21-23 mpg in mixed driving, mainly of the city variety.

Congrats on the purchase and best of luck with the LL Bean!

Don
    A couple of weeks ago when I mentioned my friend Guido doing an STI. swap into a 1995 Impreza, you said anybody who does an STI. swap has to be admired.

Well anybody who does a head job on a Subie in situ without removing the engine also has to be respected, my hat is off to you my friend, I would have pulled the motor.

Craig you beat me to it with explanation of the difference between valve and ignition timing.

For Brian and juice what causes detoanation or the more common term pinging, is to much advance in the ignition timing causes the mixture to light off when the piston is on the way up instead of in the combustion chamber, you can imagine the explosion is trying to force the piston back down.

You have an irristable force meeting an immovable object that is why detonation can wreck pistons and bearings.

Valve timing on the other hand is timing the intake and exhaust valves opening and closing in sequence.as well obviously the valve and ignition timing are interdependant.

Cheers Pat.
    At least now you know, Colin. Buy a 6 pack and invite dad back! BTW, does that mean you have VTEC? :-)

Pat: I'm familiar with ignition timing, as I've played with it a bit on my Miata, but had to eat a little humble pie when it came to valve timing.

Installing a K&N filter element is as easy as replacing the paper air filter. I have photos but PhotoPoint is down, sorry. It's easier if you take part of the intake apart, but that's just a couple of nuts and bolts, an electrical connected to the MAS to unplug, and a vacuum hose underneath to disconnect. It's easier than it sounds, put it that way.

-juice
    pat-- yes, it takes a certain sort of dementia. there's only 2-2.5" inches between the frame and the valvecover at the back of the head. it was very tricky to get the torque wrench in there on the head bolt that's on the back-bottom. nevermind the grunting and groaning just to get the head in place, since all the lower head bolts have to be in the head but can't be extended more than a few inches outward (framerail again).

btw, the head torquing procedure just for fun-- committed it to memory.

1) torque all bolts (6) in alphabetic order to 22ft-lb (A is center top, B is center bottom, C is front top, D is rear bottom, E is front bottom, F is rear top.)
    2) torque all bolts in alphabetic order to 51ft-lb
    3) loosen all bolts 180 degrees in order
    4) loosen all bolts additional 180 degrees in order
    5) tighten A and B in order to 22lb-ft
    6) tighten C-F in order to 11lb-ft
    7) tighten all bolts in order 80-90 degrees
    8) tighten all bolts in order an additional 80-90 degrees, but no more than 180 deg total

I believe the idea here by specifying a number of degrees to turn that they know not only torque but also thread depth. But I'm not a mechanical engineer-- maybe they just liked being difficult. ;-)

-Colin
    You forgot the last step:

9) do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself around

Man, talk about jumping through hoops!

-juice
    can you imagine the tech writer writing the manual on how to tighten a subie head? tighten, tighten more, then loosen, loosen more, tighten, tighten again.

actually, it kind of makes sense - it makes sure the head is on straight and even. (doesn't it?)

hopefully your dad will be able to coax that pesky cam into place!

-Brian
    I have never ever heard of a sequence like that,sounds more like the engineer who came up with it was smoking something.

BTW. speaking of dementia, in my mispent youth it was not the first time a couple of mates and myself hauled an engineout in a snowbank, using ropes and idiot manpower no hoist.

We would probably haul it out after work on a Friday dismantle it on my poor mothers living room floor, Saturday the block and crankshaft to machine shop for a rebore and regrind.

While waiting for that dismantle the head and lap the valves using handpower and grinding paste, Sunday put the whole lot back together and drive it to work on Monday.

Cheers Pat.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    The November issue of MOTOR magazine finished a 5 part series they had been doing on servicing Subaru timing belts.

That article verifies that the right side cam lobes are "relaxed", and the left side under pressure, when things are lined up correctly.

They gave part numbers for tools to hold things in place, before things come apart, because the left side will rotate all by itself.

Regards,
    Frank
    correct Frank, the DOHC setup is not to be attempted without those tools that lock each side's cams together. if you do you're begging for trouble since the DOHC are all interference (valve against valve or valve against piston, it matters not).

since this car is SOHC, I need only to lever the LH cam gear into a TDC position.

-Colin
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    I found it online. Here's the link:

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Articles/112001_08.html

• hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Did you hear (sorry, Ross) about the guy that wrote the "Hokey Pokey"??

Well, he died, may he rest in peace.

Unfortunately, however, they're having a devil of a time keeping him in the casket!

(hint: sing the song!)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I'm in a very forgiving mood today. No worries. :~) How many or old enough to get the reference?

Ross
    cool frank. yep, that tensioner they talk about is still used on the SOHC models I squish mine slowly in a press-- or vice, as long as it's vertical and you squish it slow. the FSM says over 3 minutes, not sure where motor.com came up with 10-15 minutes, that's really slowly for something that compresses about 3/4". well, perhaps that was the language in the older FSM...

-Colin
  • goldenrovergoldenrover Member Posts: 2
    What can be done to increase the horsepower in the Forester?
    to make horsepower that would be desirable to most forester owners, there's no easy solution. don't laugh, but an aftermarket supercharger-- and none exist that I know of-- would be about the only way. aftermarket turbos exist and would definitely help too if sized and tuned appropriately.

-Colin
    so the car is back on the road (huzzah!) I took more pics than I thought and after photopoint is up (or I create an imagestation account) I'll share them.

but I still tripped the MIL right after starting up. still have the near-normal idle, and still have the stumble when you tip into the throttle off idle.

however I think I know what it is. look at this pic, taken after 15-20 minutes of engine running and over 10 minutes of moderate to hard driving. (yes the car runs quite well for that sort of stuff.)

So besides the fact I can't hold my camera completely still to get a good low-light pic, what do you see?

No water temperature. The engine is most definitely not cold, and the heat works fine because I tried. I'm fully aware of the dangers of driving with the car this way-- the fans are going full tilt all the time and it wouldn't surprise me if the thermostat is full open as well.

So where is the coolant temp sensor on a SOHC EJ25? I bet it's unplugged, and I bet it's on the intake manifold in an inconvenient place. Could be on/near the radiator too, pulled that to make work a little easier.

-Colin
    OK I threw together an imagestation album real quick. I don't dare post it in the pics topic after Pat's immaculate car. ;-)

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292183933

sorry about the duplicate pic, and they are mostly in reverse order, lol. I put some time into the captions though! hope you enjoy.

-Colin

• odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I used to work with a guy that owned an Exxon station. He told me the only difference between his gas and the no name convenience store gas is that he has Exxon on his sign and can charge an extra ten cents a gallon. He also said that there are only two refineries to supply gas to my part of the country(Houston at that time). He always said changing the set up back and forth to refine the gas to different qualities, just pennies a part, wouldn't be cost effective for the refineries. Bad gas comes from water getting into the storage tanks according to this gentleman, by leaking or other means.

All that said his opinion is to be careful where you get your super unleaded and premium and that just because the sign says Exxon, Texaco, etc doesn't mean the owner is honest about the grade of gas he is selling.

Remember that all the advertised brand name detergents are additives to the gas after refining and not a quality of gas.
    idle looks about ~750 rpm, that's a good sign isn't it?

the ECU probably is going crazy trying to figure out the engine temp. but, it's idling at the normal warm idle, so that part is working (or at least it appears to this novice). doesn't it take engine temp into consideration for fuel mixture?

Is that a bit of carbon in them heads?

-Brian (thanks for bear-ing with my ramblings)
    Doesn't Rimmer make a supercharger for the 2.5l?

For normally aspirated engines, you could get headers, a bigger cat, a cat-back exhaust, an intake kit, low restriction air filters, or an underdrive pulley. But the gains are minor.

Colin: how did you port the heads? What tool did you use? I'm just curious, I don't think I'd ever go that far into my engine.

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Colin, I have great respect and admiration for you!

Wow.... I have done heads on Fords, Datsuns & Toyotas. All had simple sequence and torque specs (lb-ft), with no 'song & dance' attached. I got lost somewhere in the jig - so what do you think the final value is? The initial compression and release crushed down the gasket some, so I wonder what it ends up being. The sad part is that probably no aftermarket shop would have the patience to do it right, compromising the job if this is indeed critical to final gasket seal.

Just a comment on the discussion of valve vs. ignition timing. I believe most conventional distributor type ignitions are camshaft driven - either direct engagement or by offset gear. But 'distributorless' systems may use a crankshaft position sensor to time ignition. Thus, depending on the type, a jumped or mis-positioned timing belt/chain can affect both valve and ignition, or just valve timing. That can make diagnosis by feel and ear more difficult, requiring pulling the cover and actual inspection.

I once had an engine rebuild (in my younger days) that drove me crazy for weeks. Usually the negative battery terminal is tied to the block, and a secondary wire comes off the block or head and connects to the body. We accidentally left off the head-to-body wire. Without it, the return path for body mounted electricals is thru CV/universal joints and other poor conductors. Had all sorts of problems related to drivability and accessories, especially when the draw was high. The alternator was not getting proper feedback from the externally mounted regulator, and was running wild. Higher than normal voltage replaced adequate current. Finally figured it out when I measured between block and body and got a voltage (should have been 0v - common ground)! It is always the dumb things that kill an otherwise well done job......

Steve
    brian, yes modern EFI most definitely does care about coolant temp for determining a/f ratio, but this particular example seems to say that it matters most at idle, and when it's colder than normal. it seems that when there is no coolant temp value, it defaults to something warm because my engine has no cold startup at all-- this morning was a little bit like starting my '69 camaro with it's chokeless Holley 850 double pumper. cold blooded.

juice, used a right angle grinder (air version-- electric ones aren't nearly as good IMO) and two different cutting / grinding tips. my dad actually did it last year when I install the cobb tuning cams and the heads were off the first time. anyway, where you see the grinding in the center of the port there was a lot of casting flash. built a plastic model? well you know how some parts have little extra pieces of plastic on the edges? same type of thing, this cylinder head started out life as two cast halves.

steve, funny you should ask about the final torque valve. my friend and I were curious so even though we weren't stopping based on torque, we set the torque wrench to find out when it would break over. turns out, the center two head bolts are installed with somewhere around 60-65ft/lb and the outer ones around 50.

good job on clarifying ignition on distributorless engines-- I didn't do such a good job the other day and didn't elaborate. but you are correct, since the cam angle sensor (CAS) is in the LH head and I had it 180 degrees out of phase, the intake timing was also 180 degrees out of phase. strange that the engine ran well, must be thanks to the even firing sequence of the boxer four. obviously no matter what the reason that was a serious mistake that needed to be corrected.

-Colin
    Yeah, I noticed that extra grinding. Looks good.

-juice
  • forester4alforester4al Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Forester developed an intermittent problem ~3 months ago where the car would feel like it was losing power and about to stall out while trying to drive at a constant speed (45-65 MPH). Upon acceleration, this stuttering would stop but would start again when again trying to maintain a constant speed. I put on the cruise control when this was happening and the problem persisted, so I know it's not my leg inadvertently shaking the gas pedal.
    The problem would almost always go away after stopping the car for a while (usually overnight) but has returned every few weeks. I switched to premium gas from a different station, still does it. I took the car to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the problem. The Check engine light has never come on, so they didn't know where to start. They checked for loose wires/hoses and ended up changing the Champion spark plugs which they said were "fouled out". Two days later, the problem returned.
    Any theories on what might be causing this? I'm taking it back in and I'd love to hear if this problem has happened to anyone else. It seems to be happening more frequently in the last 2-3 weeks.

-Al
    Hmm, if the plugs were that bad, wouldn't a check engine light have been triggered by the unburned gas in the exhaust?

I'm thinking ECU, not plugs. Ask if the service manager will take a ride with you so you can show him the problem. Of course it's interemittent so Murphy's Law means it won't happen then.

-juice
  • forester4alforester4al Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Forester developed an intermittent problem ~3 months ago where the car would feel like it was losing power and about to stall out while trying to drive at a constant speed (45-65 MPH). Upon acceleration, this stuttering would stop but would start again when again trying to maintain a constant speed. I put on the cruise control when this was happening and the problem persisted, so I know it's not my leg inadvertently shaking the gas pedal.
    The problem would almost always go away after stopping the car for a while (usually overnight) but has returned every few weeks. I switched to premium gas from a different station, still does it. I took the car to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the problem. The Check engine light has never come on, so they didn't know where to start. They checked for loose wires/hoses and ended up changing the Champion spark plugs which they said were "fouled out". Two days later, the problem returned.
    Any theories on what might be causing this? I'm taking it back in and I'd love to hear if this problem has happened to anyone else. It seems to be happening more frequently in the last 2-3 weeks.

-Al
    al, that's an odd one. first of all you should demand better of your dealership, try another if you have one local and convenient and if not call Subaru's 800 number and get some satisfaction.

fouled plugs means the mix is too rich at idle. major things that can cause that would trigger the malfunction indicator light though... but still, I would first check the first oxygen sensor and check that the catalysts are not clogged.

-Colin
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Colin,

Sounds like you're almost there in getting your vehicle back to normal. I echo Steve's comments about having admiration for your technical expertise! I've learned a lot from just reading your posts here at Edmunds.

Good luck!

Ken
    Keep the photos coming, those are the most informative. I know that it's a pain, but I do it whenever possible, because I know now beneficial it is to me when I want to do something for the first time.

-juice