Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• My check engine light keeps coming on. It started at about 17000 miles. I called to dealer and they told me to check the gas cap to make sure it was tight. They stated that if that was the problem the light would go off in a day or two. It finally turned off, but it keeps coming back on. I do not think that it is the gas cap.

Has anyone else had this problem? What caused it?

It is also starting to feel like the car is not firing on all 4 cylinders. It is a little sugglish and it idles a little rough.

Any input would be great.

By the way it is a '00 Outback limited.
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    Hi! I'm not familiar with any OEM system that locks the doors once the Forester is moving. Neat idea though.

Sorry.

Patti
    No, we do not have a national program for a free 1st oil change. Some dealers may do it (do not let it sway your survey...please) as a way to build loyalty to their service facility.

Personally, I'd recommend a dealer for the 1st change at least. That way, they can look and make sure everything is humming along okay.

Patti
    I'd set up a dealer appointment. Since you are noticing a performance concern, it is probably something else than the gas cap. Even if the light goes out, the codes are stored in the computer so they should be able to let you know what the problem is. Since you are still in warranty, it shouldn't cost you to get it checked out.

Patti
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Kate- I do vaguely remember a post on the subject. I think someone may have included the auto-locking door feature on a wish list in the future models topic. (wouldn't it be nice to have the old search function back).

-Frank P.
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Does Subaru use a break in oil? I would like to change my oil around 1200 miles and then again at 3500 miles (this one is free from the dealer) but, don't want to take the oil out too soon if it is a break in oil. Have 900 miles on the car so far.....and love it! :)

-greg
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    GM cars do it.

Also my cousin has that feature built into her alarm system on her outback (aftermarket alarm/remote starter)

-mike
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    I don't care for the auto locking feature. I'd rather have the choice of whether to lock the doors or not. However, I can see the desire given certain circumstances.

-Greg
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    Most aftermarket alarms can do it, and the Subaru factory systems are either Code-Alarm or Alpine. If someone is really hot-to-trot about this and has the factory security system, go to a reputable car audio/security shop and have them take a look. If it's a standard system then they can probably lock & unlock the doors with the ignition.

If you have a square remote, it's Code-Alarm. If it's oval, that's Alpine. YMMV on really new cars, haven't seen the latest remotes! ;-)

If you don't have an alarm, they don't have to be expensive to offer this functionality. My Viper 500+ was $279 installed and does it. Never start up the car and quickly get out, closing the door behind you BTW.

-Colin
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Pat: good for you for standing your ground and not caving in to that dealer's bribe for a good review. That is absolutely unethical on their part.

If they were smart, they would offer a free oil change regardless, which would make you more likely to give them that review that they wanted.

I don't like the auto locking doors idea. When other passengers lock my door and I try to get out, it's just a nuisance. There are child safety locks on the rear doors, and this is more than adequate.

-juice
    I don't like DRLs and Auto-locking doors. When I feel I need more light or need to be seen, I put the lights on, and if I need to lock the doors, I do it!

-mike
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Posts: 137
    Does anyone know if the Subaru factory security system has a engine-start disabling feature?
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I agree with you about the door locks - if I want them locked, I'll do it myself. As to DRLs, I have to disagree. You may be intelligent enough to put on your lights when you feel the need to be seen, but not everyone on the road has good judgment. Often it is the most dangerous drivers who lack such judgment. I want a fighting chance to see the idiots so I can avoid them.

Ross
    I agree paisan. I don't want the car to do the thinking for me. Seems like the designers can get it wrong as often as they get it right.

A couple of examples illustrate my point.

Greyhound used some radar technology on some of their buses, but it ended up setting off everyone's radar detector. So the speed demons would pull into that lane and stab the brakes. The bus can't stop as quickly and BANG. They discontinued the technology (it's amazing they didn't see that coming).

Mercedes has the seemingly clever auto cruise control, but testers say it made them feel car sick. Plus, it encourages tail-gating so you don't get cut off.

I can see in an urban area where car-jacking is common that auto locked doors could be useful, but I don't often go to such locations - maybe once a year. The other 364 days I'm locked in my own car and frustrated.

One feature from my old Mustang that I liked was that the doors unlocked when you pulled the door handle. I'd be willing to accept the auto locking doors if the handle had that feature.

-juice
    Ross & Mike: what I was discussing is a programmable *option*. If you want to lock the doors yourself, fine. More appropriately, if you don't want the doors to UNLOCK when the ignition is turned off, you might want to disable this option.

The doors should be locked while the vehicle is in motion-- it helps ensure it will stay shut if you should happen to be in a serious accident. I don't think I need to explain this to DRL Ross?

-Colin
    OK, but by that same argument we should all be wearing helmets all the time, too. Can you imagine all the soccer moms wearing Arais? ;-)

My point is safety is fine, just don't inconvenience the driver to obtain it.

-juice
    Nice slippery slope... There are many differences between wearing a helmet and locking a door. Isn't this obvious?

-Colin
    Like I said, it's fine as long as it unlocks with the door handle (or with the key being removed, as you suggested).

Not to mention, I would hope that Subaru would design a door that would stay shut in a collision even if it were not locked.

There you go - fix that, instead of auto-locking the doors.

-juice
    I always lock my doors manually. "You may be intelligent enough to put on your lights when you feel the need to be seen, but not everyone on the road has good judgment. " Well then we should eliminate all cars with manual transmissions since, the computer controlled transmission can shift at the best spot for fuel economy and safety? We could make cars so auto-matic that nothing needs to be thought about. One reason I hate DRLS is because those dumb people who don't know to turn on their lights, wind up driving around with only their DRLs on after dark. I've had more than 1 occassion where I nearly rear-ended someone because they were driving with no tail lights on. If they are gonna do the DRL thing, it should be DR Parking Lights (so that the rears come on as well) that way they can be seen, but when it gets dark, they can't see so they turn on their actual headlights! :)

I also agree with colin that locked doors are safer in crashes.

-mike
    They have! But the point is that a lock is a simple, easy to use and convienent method to INCREASE the probability of it staying shut. If you don't have the door locked, it flies open in a rollover and you're tossed partially out--even while wearing your seatbelt-- that seems a bit stupid not to have locked the door.

If it was locked and flew open anyway, at least you don't have to wonder if a stupid thing like a door lock might have made the difference.

-Colin