Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They don't - peek under your hood and you'll see that all the fluid filler necks are capped with bright yellow lids. Oil, dipstick, windshield washer, clutch, brake, PS, even ATF and gear oil.

Any deeper than that and they want you to come in for service with their trained mechanics, naturally. We pay below invoice for cars so this is the only way they can make money and stay in business!
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    All of the OEM manuals that I have purchased in the past 40 years have been very detailed and model specific, but they were not so expensive. And, unless I've missed something, the individual sections are not priced for download, rather, you must subscribe to the service for a minimum price of ~$35 for 72hrs. Not that I'll live long enough to download them over "dial-up" and without a computer in the garage, an electronic copy is of limited value.

Although I don't expect the Impreza to require more than fluid changes in the near future, eventually there will be routine maintenance for which a munual is useful, e.g. brake maintenance, timing belt changes, etc., even if one never messes with "engine internals". And there is always the possibility of failure, however remote, that would leave you at the mercy of dealer service (I expect to own the car much longer than the warranty).

Lastly, I like to become familiar with any machine that I own, particulary one such as the Subaru that is different in many ways from my previous vehicles, and I know of no better source than a shop manual.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    All of the OEM manuals that I have purchased in the past 40 years have been very detailed and model specific, but they were not so expensive. And, unless I've missed something, the individual sections are not priced for download, rather, you must subscribe to the service for a minimum price of ~$35 for 72hrs. Not that I'll live long enough to download them over "dial-up" and without a computer in the garage, an electronic copy is of limited value.

Well in this day and age, the "dial-up" excuse doesn't hold water, it is 2007! Eventually if you like it or not you'll need to come into the computer age, I'm not trying to be harsh, but it's just a reality. What I did was downloaded all the sections I thought I would need in that 72hr period, then I have them on my computer. Simply print out the pages you want to use and take em to the garage with you. One of the distinct advantages is that you can take it under the car with you and get it all dirty, and throw it out when you are done!

-mike
    "Get on board the technology train, or it'll knock you down!" :)
    "Excuse"?? I am and have been well entrenched in the "computer age", but where I live the only broad band available is a single, overpriced, cable company. Their prices are indeed "Comcastic"!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    The Chilton/Haynes manuals that I have seen are near worthless, providing a lot of generic filler material interspersed with a bit of brand specific info.

I will agree with you regarding the Chilton manuals, but my experience with a Haynes manual for my '96 Outback was very positive. Considering all the work I did on that car, there were only a couple times that I had to fumble through something because it was unknown to me and was not covered in detail. I had no complaints, and neither did the car (after it was repaired, that is!). ;)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I am and have been well entrenched in the "computer age", but where I live the only broad band available is a single, overpriced, cable company. Their prices are indeed "Comcastic"!

I hear ya there. If you can believe it, there is no option other than dial-up at my location other than the option mentioned below, which is prohibitively expensive. I do have a decent connection at work, so admittedly I use the connection to my advantage from time to time. :blush:

I have some friends who live in the wilderness along the Yukon River near Ruby, and they have something called "Star Band." Spendy, but it puts them in contact with the world whereas otherwise their nearest neighbor is about 7 miles downriver!
    I'm not trying to bust on anyone about the internet, I'm just saying that as things go forward there will be more and more things that are only available "online" and online with a highspeed connection at that. Chilton manuals are worthless, I have similar ones for my boat that basically give instructions like "remove transmission" or "remove outdrive"

-mike
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    "Comcastic" is a terrible slogan. It always makes me think of "bombastic" rather than "fantastic".
    What you do it get 3 neighbors to split the cost, and get a really good wireless router... :D
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    You might try e-mailing one of the online Subaru parts places like allsubaru.com to see what kind of a price they can give you. Accessories are cheaper this way, so maybe the shop manual would be, too. They may not list it in their online catalog, but I bet they could get it.
    actually, there are several neighbors in wi-fi range with unprotected portals, but that's not ethical.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    while it might not be ethical to "share" their 'net, they outta be more responsible and secure their network. If you're wi-fi savvy, help 'em secure it and ask that they share it as your payment.

-Brian
    Speeding is unethical and illegal.... :)

-mike
    Illegal yes. Unethical? not necessarily.
  • just_philjust_phil Posts: 86
    That's funny, but true. Whenever my wife asks me about what I've been doing for the last 3 hours, I tell her: "Honey, it's these 4 lines of text".
    OK, then, posting on these boards during work hours is unethical.

Gotcha. :D

(I'm one to talk!)
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    :D Ha ha! Isn't that the truth!
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,334
    My Legacy shop manual was available in "volumes" so you don't need to buy the whole thing at $276. I started out with three of the eight volumes.

Jim
  • sixtystackssixtystacks Posts: 17
    Thx Susan - the OEM radio on my 2002 has been replaced but still runs hot; when the backlight would stay on after car turned off - I pulled the fuse. Subaru seems bored with the problem
  • bertus24bertus24 Posts: 8
    My WRX doesnt want to start despite changing the batteries 3 times, no lights go on inside the car, no radio, no roof lights, nothing. Last week I was still able to jump start it bu the next morning there was nothing.
    What can be the problem.
    Please help.
    THanks

Bertus :cry: