Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mikezakmikezak Posts: 95
    I first want to apologize, as it seems like I always post when I have a question. I do not want to seem like a whiner, but I do respect everyone's thoughtfulness and knowledge.

I have almost 3K miles on my vehicle, and so far the honeymoon is still on as it is my first non-Big 3 auto. For the record, I have gotten 29.5 mpg on my last business trip. However I do have another question for the Group.

I have noticed from almost 1 day of my 2001 OBW, when I back out of my driveway in the morning, my brakes squeal or squeak. Having just read a similar post from another 01 OBW owner (with no solution replies in a newsgroup), made me think of asking here?

Thoughts?

Again, my thanks in advance...
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    Stay tuned. It is a "characteristic" but they are coming up with a remedy for folks if it bothers them. It shouldn't impact braking performance. Just let your dealer know about the concern and when I hear more, I'll post.

Thanks!

Patti
  • seamus3seamus3 Posts: 98
    i did get pulled over last night. apparently my head lamps are too bright for at least one cop. now i have to buy a pair of halogen bulbs so my car can be "inspected" for road worthiness. which also means i will have to do an emissions test. will my stromung pass?

seamus
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Mike: it's probably OK (but yes, annoying) as long as it goes away quickly.

You should hear the valve tapping noise on our 626. Scary, but it goes away after oil pressure builds, so we've been advised to ignore it.

Stromung should pass, no?

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Mike,

Do you park outside? I'm wondering if the squeaking is do to brake pad oxidation from morning dew.

Ken
    Patti,

Just wondering if you got my re-send of my case update.

Ken
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    How do you like your Stromung? I have been wanting to put some tone into my Forester so I can hear it "hum" along as we ride the revs.

Do you find it too loud, or more correctly, do "others" find it too loud? My days of holding the clutch in and coasting by cops are long gone.

Did the cop that pulled you over make any remark about it? T.I.A.

Frank
  • hciaffahciaffa Posts: 454
    That the best news we have heard in along time. Our 99 Forester L has made the annoying brake squeal since we have had it and the service people have only been able to check, adjust and clean to no avail, and its not just in the morning but even when hot from driving around. Please inform us when a fix is out. Now if you could only help us with our pinging or rattling noise.
  • vincer2vincer2 Posts: 97
    Kate,
    I bought a Subaru bra for my 2000 OB from Darlene last summer. Because of the reasons previously mentioned I only use it when I go on trips. I wash the car and then put a coat of wax on the front where the bra goes. I also remove it if it rains. Works great for protecting from bugs and stones but there is a maintenance effort required.

Initial install required a little extra pulling to get it to fit but now I can install and deinstall rather quickly.

Stitching on the one end came off. I was able to repair it with a needle and heavy nylon thread.

I beleive the cost was about $110. (Hopefully Darlene will be rejoining us).
    Vince
  • crawdadkingcrawdadking Posts: 46
    I have a Bean with 3k on it and love it-brake squeal and poor headlights notwithstanding. However if there are any better lights out there I would like to give them a try. I went on Phillips website and the only list lights for the Impreza. Does anyone know more about this. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have OB bulbs since there are a zillion of them out there.

BTW; took the bean in for first oil change. When I got home I checked the oil (on the level gargage floor) and it was so high on the dipstick that I had to pump 1.5qts out. What kind of customer confidence does this intill. Next tilme I go into Bud Clary Subaru I won't know if the really know how to rotate the tires or check the air pressure or any other complicated technical procedure :-)

Guy
    Guy,

The Philips Vision Plus are made only in H1, H4 and H7 sizes. I purchased mine on:

http://www.autolamps-online.com/

Ken

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    We had the brake squeak back in November. It's been talked about many times before on these boards - the pads are a harder type that can 'glaze-up' a bit. There's a couple of ways of eliminating the squeak. One is to give the brakes a good stomp from a moderate speed a couple of times to clean away the 'glaze'. Another is to have the pads cleaned or roughed-up to remove the glazing.

Since our dealer removed the glazing back in November, we haven't had the squeaks since! (knock on wood) Each day as we back our Outback out of the driveway, I give the brakes a nice firm pedal to reclean the nights moisture away. And I also occasionally give them the speed-cleaning described above.

-Brian
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,922
    Further to the chat last night,you asked about the GT and I mentioned bad paint match.

Well picked it up today and the paint match is perfect, in their defence titanium is one of those colours that gives painters nightmares, it is a very difficult colour to match apparently.

As well there are several alternates of the colour which adds to the difficulty anyway I informed them that I would accept nothing less than perfect on a vehicle only six weeks old and not to call until it was.

So the moral here is when you get the forester fixed be just as adament that you want a perfect job they can do it when they want, they would have been just as happy if I had accepted the first attempt, unfortunately for them they were dealing with the wrong guy.
    Cheers Pat.
    Thanks for the website. It looks like all I can do is replace the standard low beam H1"s with the Vision Plus low beams. I didn"t see anything for the high beams. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks again,
    Guy
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Just checked my oil after the dealer changed it a few days ago. Way over-filled. Need to take some out. What's going on here? Also have the morning squeal even after it sat in the garage all night. No problem though. However, upon checking my tire pressures I noticed that my rear rotors (especially the right one) appear glazed and scored. Keep in mind the car has only 1700 miles on it and if you recall, I had a warped rotor when I purchased the car. The dealer gave me two new rotors up front and cleaned the rear ones. Starting to wonder if I got rotors from a bad batch. Car was build in November. Called the dealer and they politely told me to bring it in whenever I want and they will take care of it. Well need to go take some oil out!

-Greg
    P.S. Sorry for missing the chat last night - another hockey game, which we lost in double overtime!
  • On a roadtrip last year with my 00 GT wagon I stopped at the dealer in Appleton Wis and also got a way overfilled crankcase. I took it back and had them drain it. The positive effect is that I became more aware of my oil level and what can make it fluctuate... including engine temp and drip time. Best is to check cold on a level surface. Checking on a gas station platform can give erroneous readings as they are not always level. Also it seems the boxer oil level can be effected by just how hot it and definitely by how long you let it sit after running. BTW - I do all my own oil changes now even on road trips.

bit
  • mav61mav61 Posts: 8
    Patti:

Once again, thanks for your help with this situation. Dealer called to advise the new england tech rep will finally drive the car with me (as a favor to SOA) on June 11th. At that point at least we can be assured that he will actually hear this engine noise and be forced to make judgement of what is going on. Chris M had left a voice mail summarizing the prior visit's lack of a finding but I assume he and/or the case file is updated with the new info and upcoming appintment---thanks again, Mario

PS I assume the data stream from the short ride they took showed nothing of interest?
    Guy,

I'm sorry, but I don't know what size bulbs your OB takes. My Forester uses a single H4 for both hi and low beams. If the bulb sizes that are listed in your owner's manual are available on the website then you're all set.

Ken
    The problem is that the manual says H-1 for low beam (that's available) and 9005 for high beam (not listed on the website). I think I will order the H-1's and see if there is a dramatic improvement. If so I will keep looking for better highbeams. Probably my 61 year old eyes are the biggest problem and I can't do much about that.

Thanks again,
    Guy
  • So I was trying to determine if I should shelve my mini spare and opt for a stock rim and tire on my GT wagon. The stock tire will fit where the mini sits now. So to calculate if it makes sense to have a new tire to run on in a an emergency I did some math. My RE92s measure about 78.125 inches in circumference. On the SOA site they recommend no greater than .25 inch difference in tire circumference for any tires. That would mean lease than a 1/16inch (.0625) of tread wear or about the same amount that the tread wear indicator shows up. So I guess it makes sense to carry a full size spare as it would be interchangeable for most of the life of the tires on my car. Interestingly the mini spare measures only 76.2 inches in circumference or nearly 2 inches less than the RE92 so I can see why driving on one of these would be bad for the AWD.

BTW I am using my new SandK torque wrench to check all my lug nuts. 65 ftlbs is correct right? Sure seems like nothing with the long handle of the torque wrench.

bit