Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Continental Convertibles of the 1960's

Comments

• You know I was talking to a Conti owner a few months ago and he told me there are a couple of convertible top "gurus" around the country that can help with this...I think you'd need to buzz around the Lincoln Club boards and find out who these guys are. Apparently precise alignment is one of the problems with top operation. Maybe one of the clubs has published a manual on this problem, that would be great...to follow those who have gone before you.

Also I went through Hemmings Motor News and picked out two promising websites that sell Lincoln parts for your car, and they might lead you to something else:

www.markii.com

www.lincolnlandinc.com

one's in FLA and the other in Calif.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,350
    The Lincoln dealers HATED working on those things!

Everything has to be working just right or else it won't work. The 1957-1959 Ford retractables were even worse!

Dozens of relays, limit switches and miles of wiring!
  • OK looks like I found the guy who is the guru for these tops. He travels around with all parts and knows not only all the relays/switches/motors with the tops, but all electrical issues with the continentals--- web site www.convertiblelincolns.com
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    I have heard stories of those Ford Skyliners' tops failing halfway through the raise/lower cycle. Fortunately, there was a manual override so you wouldn't have to drive around with the top at "half-mast." I believe this happened to my Uncle Johnny with his red and white 1957 Ford Skyliner sometime in the early 1960s. Was this a frequent peril with the 1960s Continental convertibles?
  • prometheepromethee Posts: 2
    Hello Douglas,
    I find your comments very insightful. I am presently sourcing a nice example to keep. Which year would you recommend for a Sunday car? I live near the tropics and the local climate would discourage having it as a daily car. It would probably get fried. They are awesome cars and I hope I can make a proper decision to keep one for a long long time.
    Appreciate your insights.
    John
  • prometheepromethee Posts: 2
    I am presently sourcing a nice example to keep but my limitation is I have few resources to maintain these cars where I live. So reliability is very important. While I know this seldom goes with classic cars but I have been hearing great things about the Lincolns of this era. Appreciate any comments and tips to point me in the right direction. Please include the good, bad and the ugly so I can be armed with a realistic mindset to pursue the 'perfect one'. Thank you in advance for your input.
    John
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,641
    You might want to join the Lincoln Continental Owners Club:

http://www.lcoc.org/index.htm

I'd certainly consult them on everything except value estimates.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    the rear lights were in the bumper, so i think it was a mid sixties model.
    couldn't get too close due to traffic.
  • parmparm Posts: 723
    Well. It's nice to see a thread I started seven years ago (Yikes! That was one wife ago!) has been resurrected. Does such staying power make me perceptively far-sighted, or just old? Fellas, that's a rhetorical question - no answer necessary. :P Any-who, that was back in the days when this forum was pretty active . . . . . . I miss those days.

The LCOC is a great reference source. The folks there know these cars backwards and forwards. If you have a technical question, they'll be able to answer it. Still, speaking as a non-Lincoln owner (at least, not yet!), I would say there are more than a few in the LCOC who would challenge Shifty's opinion as to their knowledge of market value regarding these cars. I know an owner/seller is usually the last to catch up to the market, so I'm not necessarily disputing his call. But, it's a good thing he stated that view "in here" and not on the LCOC site. Unless, of course, the laws of chemistry and physics have been suspended and pouring gasoline onto a small fire no longer produces heat. ;) :shades:
    I always base arguments about value with evidence. If they can produce evidence and not opinion, I'm ready to change my mind. But if a club member insists a car is worth X dollars because that's what he put into it, or because he "heard" of someone "asking" this much, or "heard" of someone getting "that much, that's not "market value" that's just a rumor, a wish and a prayer.

club members are not disinterested parties, and that's why they aren't good appraisers. They're great for restoration advice, however, and certainly know more than I do on THAT subject.
  • I'm hoping someone can help me. Kids were playing with the roof and smoke came up from under trunk, passenger side. Trunk moves up about 2." It sounds like another motor is suppose to engage. That motor is not engaging. Pretty sure it's not that motor; rather it's the switch or mechanism that allows that motor to engage.
    Has anyone had this problem?
    Lincoln & Continental Owners Club

Click on the link above and then click on Bulletin Board and then click on The Lincoln Forum Net. There, you'll find a wealth of knowledge from Lincoln owners. If they can't answer your question, nobody can.
    edited February 2010
    I gotta admit, I'm pretty smitten with this one 1962 Lincoln convert. It was recently on ebay and the $20,300 high bid didn't meet the seller's reserve. Yeah, the engine is far from sanitary, but that can be rectified. Too bad there aren't any views of the under-carriage. Two messages I sent the seller while the auction was in progress went unanswered. :mad:

What should this car sell for???
  • The bid was absolutely market correct, right on the money, IMO. The car looks like a high #4, low #3, probably a repaint of a tired old car underneath. The underside will look like the engine; the interior is pretty nice but we can see lots of scratches in the trim, dry old floor mats, etc. Car is obviously a repaint and not that good of one.

So yeah, $20K is all the money. Once again, eBay bidders know what they're doing in this case at least.

It's a "driver" at best, and would need a complete tear down to make it any nicer.
    62 Lincoln convert at Amelia Island RM March auction

OK. Call me a gull-la-BULL, but this looks like a nice one. Yeah, yeah. I know. Much like a wife, the convertible mechanisms of 1960's Lincolns are painfully complicated and expensive to keep happy. But, if you have a nice one, who cares? (I'm talk'n about the car here!) Hey, it's not a problem if it breaks while the top is down, right??? :P The pre-bid estimate is $30K-$45K. Can't believe I'm saying this, but the low end of that range doesn't sound too terribly whacky - which means the car is probably worth high $20's? Many of the cars in this auction are from an estate collection. Does that tend to make it a safer buy? What's everyone think of this one? Should I start packing my bags for a March visit to Florida? :blush:
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, high $20Ks sounds right---if you read between the lines of this auction poofery, you can see that a) it's an older restoration b) the interior needs detailing (aka "dirty and unglued in places" and c) the paint has scratches which they say can be "fixed"---but guess who pays for that?

So on the face of it, sounds like a high #3 car. As for the top mechanism, it had better work when you buy it. It's not that the top mechanism is so complex---but it can be tedious and maddening to get right.

Why don't you fly me down there to inspect it for you? Amelia Island is of course a real hell-hole, and I wouldn't want you to have to go through that. No, don't thank me, it's my job.
    The "cons" of those old Lincolns far outweigh the "pros".

I really do love the way they look. In a straight line, they drive nicely too.

But, they were troublesome cars even when new. The dealers HATED working on the power tops and they had electrical and vacuum problems that were vexactious to track down and fix. Thsy also crack exhaust manifolds which are a B***H to replace.

Still, I do appreciate a nice one when I see one.
    Lincoln convertible fix it guy

Kind of nice to know that as a classic Lincoln owner you can get your convertible top fixed by an experienced repair dude who makes house calls. ;)
    Talk about a niche market!

So when he decides to retire or give up, then what?
    Don't try to confuse me with reality . . . . . . :P