Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silverado / Sierra 2500HD Duramax ... any thoughts?

Comments

• Ray,

I purchased a 5yr/150K zero deductible diamond plan from WarrantyGold for my son's 2000 Silverado 1500 xcab. Paid $1500 for it and it included roadside assistance and tire road hazard. The difference in the price on mine (with the GMPP) is the Duramax/Allison. If the truck had the 6.0 or the 8.1, the GMPP would have cost about $800 less. I haven't purchased a plan for my 2500HD yet. I'm going round and round via email with WarrantyGold and have yet to get them to give me a quote for the same 5yr/150K/no deductible diamond plan. I still have about 5K miles before the mfg warranty expires (probably sometime late summer), so I still have time to negotiate. Luckily, WarrantyGold is right here in Austin, TX so I can pay them a visit in person.

Mike .T.
  • On my 2003 2500HD DuraMax/Allison, I got the GMPP 5yr/60,000 extension for $995 (Brown & Brown Chev, Mesa, Arizona). Since the Duramax is already warranteed for 100,000 miles out of the box, maybe you really don't even need GMPP extended plans.

Hans
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    As black silver stated the Duramax is warranted for 100k from GM so WG should be able to provide you with a quote less the engine I would think, wonder what their problem is or maybe the salesman isn't hungry enough yet ! LOL

Ray T.
  • leviflevif Posts: 2
    Nothing to think about....,. Buy the Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax. I just went from a 454cdi gas to the 6.6 Duramax. Much more power and 25% to 40% better fuel mileage. I love that truck.
  • javelin1javelin1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 chevy duramax w/allison .after it sits at a front incline ,when starting ,little power forward but none in reverse. This is an on going thing with my dealer and its back in the shop now . Any help?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter needs to interview people who are considering buying a new GM car or truck soon, maybe after the war. Please respond with your daytime contact info by April 5 to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • lonebulllonebull Posts: 5
    Before you buy ANY Chevrolet truck, see "Service 4WD" message /Silverado 2500HD Duramax under the heading: Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD.

This a serious and common problem that GM refuses to fix, using the sick excuse that they do not know how to fix it. Believe that, and I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you real cheap!
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    17,000 dollars to replace the fuel system? I assume this would mean everything from the fuel tank to lines to injection pump, injector lines, and injectors. How could the entire fuel system be damaged just by water and bacteria in the system? You should get the whole powertrain for this money. What I do not understand is why there is no provisions on this truck to avoid such unnecessary and costly damage. I own a 1969 ex-Army deuce and half 6 X 6 with a 478 cu inch straight six multifuel diesel. There are three vertically mounted fuel filters/water separators (one primary and two secondaries) on this truck and each has a drain petcock. Even the fuel tank has a drain plug on the bottom in order to drain the tank if you get some water contaminated fuel. Operator's manual specifically instructs the driver to daily open the petcocks and drain any accumulated water from the filters. The secondary filters are large canisters of about two quart capacity each, primary about 1 quart. Seems to me that if your Duramax equipped truck had this kind of a set-up, probability of causing extensive damage due to water in the fuel would be at least greatly reduced. The deuce and half engine also has two large engine oil filters (side by side) and the crankcase oil capacity is 22 quarts. There is also a large oil cooler on the side of the engine, which recirculates the engine coolant through it to cool the oil. Maybe GM should learn from the old Army trucks how to build a heavy duty vehicle and avoid a lot of unnecessary damage.

And finally the problems with the 4WD system mentioned in this forum: I fully agree that the GM should be held fully responsible for correcting this problem. My deuce and half has an air shift transfer case and it is absolutely reliable.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    no offence but im not sure thats quite a fair comparision. Course id have to be pretty sure that the Duramax would get lots better fuel mileage and probably has a much nicer ride.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    This was not meant to be any comparison, except to show that keeping the fuel clean is of vital importance in any diesel engine, and it is even more important under extreme conditions that Army vehicles may encounter. It would not hurt to have two large redundant fuel filters with drain petcocks on your Duramax truck though.

As far as the fuel mileage in the Deuce goes, it is awful - about 5 MPG. But then, this is a 6X6 van body truck with dual tandem axles and weighs about 16,000 lbs empty. There are ten wheels, plus spare at about 200 lbs each (2200 lbs of wheels and tires!). Its top speed is about 60MPH.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Sounds a lil like my work truck, i know what you mean.
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    I think there is a ton of unecessary hype floating around about the D-Max fuel systems. I hear about all these guys adding 2 micron filters and other such BS. Why?? I have a 2001 D-max with over 90k miles on it. I change the factory fuel filter every 15k. It gets fueled at various locations due to the pathetically small short box tank. I have yet to have a single fuel system issue. My 99 PSD has a high pressure system as well and after over 200k miles of operation has also never had a fuel system issue.

These trucks are well designed for the enviroment they operate in. Don't get sucked into all of the "bad fuel" hype. Those incidents are few and far between, in many cases, no matter what you changed, you would probably still have a problem.
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    v12power, how has your dmax been. If I recall correctly, you had that shifty buisness with the trans.

Now that you have 90k miles under your belt, how has it been for you?
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    I liked it enough to buy another one. I still have the '01 and have added an '03 CC LB LT to the fleet. I personally would have prefered the new Ford 6.0 and the truck that comes with it. Upon driving both my wife insisted on the quieter and much more car like, if you can say that about a 20+ foot long truck, Chevy. The guys at work still pick the 215k mile Ford over the newer, nicer Chevy for pulling.

I still think that the Chev is a very nice truck, probably the best for the average consumer. When I go to replace either of the WORK trucks it will be with Fords. I have found a place in my heart for the Chevys though. The '01 hasn't given me any trouble for longer than I can remember, the last 50k miles at least. The '03 has been perfect as well. I find them to be powerful, comfortable and efficient.
  • I PURCHASED A 2001 CHEVY 2500 HD WITH A DURAMAX THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEST TRUCK MADE, NO PROBLEMS TILL 37000 MILES STARTED HAVING INJECTOR PROBLEMS. THIS HAS HAPPENED 4 TIMES NOW HAVE 50000 MILES ON TRUCK, EACH TIME ENGINE WILL STALL AND LOSE POWER IN MY CASE INJECTOR HAVE STOCK OPEN AND FLOODED CRANKCASE WITH FUEL. WHEN THIS HAPPENS IT FLUSHES ALL THE OIL OUT OF THE ENGINE THIS HAD HAPPENED 4 TIMES NOW EACH TIME CHEVY WILL ONLY REPLACE THE BAD INJECTOR. LAST TIME GOT THE TRUCK IT HAS LESS POWER I BELIEVE BECAUSE OF INTERNAL DAMAGE CHEVY REFUSES TO REPLACE ENGINE OR EVEN INSPECT INTERNALLY. CHEVY STATES DIESEL FUEL SHOULD LUBERCATE ENOUGH TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE. I PICKED UP THE TRUCK LAST FRI FOR THE 4 TIME WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, DEALER SAID THEY REPLACED 2 INJECTOR THIS TIME DROVE THE TRUCK HOME ABOUT 10 MILES NOTICED POWER LOSS MY EYES WERE BURNING FROM FUMES COMING FROM TRUCK BOTTOM OF TRUCK WAS COVERD WITH OIL AGAIN. HAD THE TRUCK TOWED BACK TO THE DEALER NOW 5 TIMES I REFUSE TO DRIVE THE TRUCK ANY LONGER HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY SIMILAR PROBLUMS?
  • barberloybarberloy Posts: 1
    I am trying to make a decision on what to buy. I pull a 28 foot toybox trailer. Fully loaded it weighs about 11000 pounds. My father-in-law has a new powerstoke and pulls a 34 foot fifth wheel and loves his powerstoke but I'm a chevy man and I am ready to buy a new truck do I buy the powerstroke or the durmax? Can anyone help? I would appreciate your comments. Thanks
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    barberloy, there are many discussions on the new 6.0 ford diesel. Its about 50/50 from what I have read. Half of them love the power and the other half hate the problems. If it is not a blown injector its an oil leak or turbo problem. I have a friend that is a landscape contractor with a 550 6.0 dump truck. He loves the power but so far has had it in for service twice for blown injectors; mind you it only has 5k miles on it.

The DMAX is also a contender and perhaps is one of the key reasons we have a new lease for the heavy compition in the diesel arena. I currently have a 2001 D/A that pulls a 37 foot Montana 5th wheel (2100 pin weight). This truck pulls it like a dream. Some of the early 2001 had a fuel pump problem and I was one of them. This was causing a romp/romp in the idle. After GM replaced it, I have had no problems at all. Great truck.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    I don't have any personal experience with the Dmax. My brother in law owns 4 F350's for his concrete business. He has had a fair number of probs, including replacing a tranny at 37K mi. Overall he is happy.
    On my recent trip to Lake Powell, I saw more DMax powered GM's than Fords with Pstrokes. I thought this was a little strange given the relative length of existence for them. From all I have read and heard, the vast majority are happy with the DMax.
    Personally, I would buy a DMax right now, mainly because it has been on the market for 2 years. The new 6.0L powerstroke and torqshift tranny are basically brand new, and experiencing some growing pains just like GM did when the DMax was first introduced.
    I would let Ford work out their probs on someone else's time.
  • I don't think there's a significant reason to choose the Powerstroke over the Duramax, or vice versa, but the trump card is the Allison transmission. It is simply awesome and makes the choice of Chev a no-brainer. Pulling a 5th wheel plus a boat, and the Duramax/Allison combo is pure magic, especially in hills and mountains.

Hans
  • mtrammellmtrammell Posts: 125
    yamaharider,

If your injectors are going out that fast, you must be getting some REALLY dirty fuel. Are you replacing the fuel filter every 15K miles?

Mike .T.
This discussion has been closed.