It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Rough Ear of Corn - 450SLC(MB)
It is currently “parked” in my driveway pending a major decision. A local mechanic performed a diagnostic survey of the car and determined that it will cost approximately $3000 in order for the car to pass California emissions and get it running. The work required includes:
-Repair Oil Leak on Valve Cover Gasket & Cylinder Head Gasket
-Power Steering Pump Hose Leak
-Repair Exhaust Manifold Leak
-Replace Timing Chain
Could someone please provide the following information:
1. Does the above stated work seem reasonable for the condition of the car?
2. Is it extremely difficult / expensive to purchase parts for this car?
3. Is there a local (San Diego) resource for affordable parts and labor?
4. Am I getting myself into a mechanical mess?
5. Is there any value in restoring this car (what would the level of interest be upon restoration?)
Before diving into major repair work, I would like to know whether this car could be a reliable means of transportation for at least a year or a major mechanical headache.