Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rearview Display Delay - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Jeep
imageRearview Display Delay - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Jeep Cherokee features a slow-shifting transmission and a slow-switching rearview camera and central display.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    Are you going slow after you shift into Drive? My truck will stay on the reverse image until I get going about 5mph like it's waiting to be used again for backing up to a trailer or a 3 point turn.
  • juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    I imagine you can click on the infotainment controls to bring up the menu screen you'd like.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd be curious to know if that same 9-second delay is also on your long-term Ram, as both vehicles use the same unit.

Also, I've driven several new Cherokees and I don't recall this being an issue, but I didn't spend much time in reverse.
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    Another instance of "RTFM". Change the Settings so that the camera delay is OFF. Or leave the setting alone and go faster than eight miles per hour.

From Page 272:

When the vehicle is shifted out of REVERSE (with camera delay turned OFF), the rear camera mode is exited and the navigation or audio screen appears again. When the vehicle is shifted out of REVERSE (with camera delay turned ON), the camera image will continue to be displayed for up to 10 seconds after shifting out of REVERSE unless the vehicle speed exceeds 8 MPH, the vehicle is shifted into PARK or the ignition is switched to the OFF position.

Another instance of "RTFM". Change the Settings so that the camera delay is OFF. Or leave the setting alone and go faster than eight miles per hour.

From Page 272:

When the vehicle is shifted out of REVERSE (with camera delay turned OFF), the rear camera mode is exited and the navigation or audio screen appears again. When the vehicle is shifted out of REVERSE (with camera delay turned ON), the camera image will continue to be displayed for up to 10 seconds after shifting out of REVERSE unless the vehicle speed exceeds 8 MPH, the vehicle is shifted into PARK or the ignition is switched to the OFF position.

Good to know. Thanks! :)
    edited October 2014
    Also worth noting is those backup guide lines turn as you turn the steering wheel. So you can see where you are heading as you turn the steering wheel. Again, this is something you activate (or not) in the settings.

You can also turn those guidelines off, also in the settings, should you desire.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    That really is a great display. I've seen this delay in a 2012 GMC Acadia Denali. It would be helpful in some instances and annoying in others.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I actually like the delay when driving forward. As you're creeping away, it let's you still see out the back of your car. I recently drove a MB E350 which had this same delay, except it has the "all around view" camera system, so you see even more.
  • jrsfjrsf Member Posts: 10
    That way you can see what you backed over as you're driving away? I never understood the delay feature, but I've seen it on several cars, and I think my Edge even has it (but I turned it off).