Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1960's Ford Falcons

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,050
    ...although I had to fight back the urge to pick up another R-body at the all-Chrysler Nationals. It was a '79 Newport that was a little ragged but probably not too atypical for a car that's 23 model years old. If I had gotten it, I was going to get rid of my Gran Fury. Maybe swap out the wheels first, and the brakes, if they'd swap easily.

I wonder if it will get to the point that 3-car garages become the norm? They seem to becoming popular with more expensive homes. I've started seeing townhouses nowadays with 2-car garages, so I guess the garage will continue to proliferate.

People are often shocked when I tell them that my condo, which was built in 1973, has a 1-car garage. I guess they're still a rarity for condos.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261
    No, 3-car garages won't be the norm because there won't be the resources to support that on a very large scale. Some people are already sucking up about 25 liftetimes of their energy allotment. I wonder how long the sun had to shine to put enough energy into the earth to run 3 SUVs for a year?

However, if you just want to collect them and look at them and start them up once in a while, or putter over to a car show, I guess you can have as many as you want, like that guy in Washington--he had...what...a couple thousand cars in his collection. That would be fun. I'd like to have a thousand cars or so and "review my fleet" every now and then in my WW II command car.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    have 3-4 garage doors on the lower level, and 2-3 more on the upper level. Doctors and Lawyers I guess. These are what you get for $500,000 around here. Down in the bay area, they'd be what-a mill-and-a-half?
    I remember when the Falcon came out in 1960, it became alot of people's first second car. Especially the wagon. Most of the LA suburb tract homes in the late 50s-60s had 2 car garages. For my Dad, though, it was a 48 Crosley, and then, um, a 58 Renault Dauphine. Hey, would you rather have a Falcon or a Dauphine??
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,685
    of the "second-car" phenomenon in propelling the growth of 1.) small imports (VWs, Dauphines and
    MGs) and 2.) domestic compacts ( Corvairs, Falcons etc. It was also instrumental in the creation of a large market for intermediates.

The difference between then and now is that the second car is likely to be a truck.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    A new "mansion", especially one with a three-car garage, would start around $3M in this part of the Bay Area. Most new homes have just a one-car garage because land is too expensive to use for parking cars. Maybe this means a trend to the one-Suburban family.
    Yeah, he's right. A real, certifiable little dump of an old house in my town is $850,000. A decent but not in any way showy or large house is 1.5 mil, and it might not have land or a garage (maybe a car port). A 5,000 sq ft. home would be 3 mil, no problem. This is one reason most of the people in my town are gray panthers.

And it's also why I can't collect old cars anymore! Garage space is ridiculously priced. If I wanted to store an old Falcon, I'd eat up the entire value of the car in about one year's garage rent. Crazy world, ain't it?

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    Lives about fifteen minutes away from me. Maybe I'll go knock on his door and ask him how many cars his garage holds.

I think his recently completed Lake Washington waterfront mansion has something like a fifteen car garage or something?

Then again, getting through his security just might be a problem...
    It has to be a suicide I'm afraid. They'll never let you in otherwise. So maybe you could write and ask.

Actually I have no problem with 50,000 square foot houses as long as 46,000 sq ft are devoted to cars. And of course we can always convert those extra ground level bedrooms into tool rooms. And kitchen cabinets make great parts bins.

Not long ago, I was on Lake Washington and we cruised by his mansion. His guest house must be 4000 sq feet by itself!

He is a car guy and I understand he has some kind of Porsche (959 maybe..can this be right?) that he can't even drive because it isn't legal in the U.S.

He has some other interesting cars as well I hear.
    in the crowded Notheast they're popping up Mc Mansions on half acre lots. We deliberately looked for something less suburban (6 acres), alas our two car garage only has room for two moderate sized cars.

It does make it hard to be a collector (just sold my "collectible" 86 5-liter convert). If the market comes back we'll look into garage expansion.

• Not the shortage, or price, or even the effects of no-lead on an engine meant to sip gobs of lead. I'm wondering how these guys who collect all these cars keep the gas in them from turning to a solid. It's all I can do to keep the gas healthy in the lawn mower and snow- blower. [you guys in the Bay Area will have to look up snowblower in the dictionary] I know about Stabil but it's a long way from perfect. Maybe something new on the market to protect those classics. Somebody know about a secret formula for these guys with 20 or 30 cars?
    Many of these cars do fall into neglect actually. I mean, they still look good but the gas goes foul and the tires go flat, etc etc. There is a "gasoline stabilizer" that works pretty well, and of course you can lift your car gently to get it off the suspension stops.

But in truth, having a car lay around unused is the worst thing for it. This is why I always encourage people to use their cars, even if they are worth a substantial sum. That's what insurance is for. "Hoarding" a car like it was the Mona Lisa makes no sense to me personally. I see 1/2 million dollar cars on the track all the time and applaud the owners heartily. Even once a week for ice cream for the kids would be great.

• prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    We had two of them. The '62 4-dr sedan had the 144 cid, "three-on-the-tree" manual. Traded the '56 Chevy S/W 265 cid V-8, two-speed "Power Glide" AT. We also had a Fargo pick-up and a '51 Chevy Styleline 2-door coupe. Should have kept that wagon.

As a college student, I had a '61 Falcon with the same 144 cid set-up: Point A-to-Point B kind of transportation. Car got "dolled-up" a bit with GT "racing stripes" (all show, no go) at the bottom of the doors, 4/8-track tape player, Goodyear "Boots" ("wide" 78s), and acrylic "fake fur" rear deck mat.

Now, the '64 and '65 V-8 Sprint hardtops and convertibles were a different breed altogether. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on any of those.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but just a reminder to stay alert out there....

Grove City woman dies in collision
    Monday, August 19, 2002
    DISPATCH STATE SERVICE

WEST JEFFERSON, Ohio -- A Grove City woman, riding in an older model car without seat belts, was killed in a collision with a sport-utility vehicle about 5 miles northwest of here yesterday.

The State Highway Patrol was called to the intersection of Rt. 42 and Middle Pike at about 12:30 p.m. Della M. Coldiron, 69, of 5960 Kirkwood Dr., was pronounced dead at Doctor's Hospital West.

Coldiron was in the front passenger seat of a 1963 Ford Falcon that was westbound on Middle Pike, the patrol reported.

The driver, James H. Moore, ran a stop sign while trying to turn right into the northbound lane of Rt. 42, the patrol said. The car collided with a northbound sport-utility vehicle in the intersection.

Mr. Moore, 55, of 216 W. Columbus St., Pickerington, and his wife Marsha L. Moore, 49, who was a passenger, both were taken to Grant Medical Center. Mr. Moore was listed in serious condition. Mrs. Moore was in fair condition.

The driver of the SUV, Lorri T. Gholson, 42, of 1520 Rt. 29 N.E., London, and her two passengers, sons Duncan, 5, and Dwight, 6, were wearing seat belts in the 1997 Chevy Tahoe. None was injured.

The crash is under investigation.
    Well, sure, another poor soul in an older car skewered on the cow-catcher front bumper of an SUV. Pretty dumb not wearing seat belts though.

Let's put the major blame on the fact that the Falcon's driver ran the stop sign, not the lack of seat belts or the SUV.
    ...late '60's 2-door sedan, the beefier style that was essentially a truncated Fairlane. It was a r-e-a-l pale blue, with a white vinyl top, and looked to be in pretty good shape. Every once in awhile, I see a Falcon wagon of similar vintage in the parking lot here at work.
  • It was one of my most favorite cars!! It was a four door sedan with a 200 straight 6. I paid 400 bucks for it, spent $100 on a new oil pump in the C4 trans, and replaced the head gasket and did a valve grind. I than drove it for 3 years without doing a thing to it. The occasional oil change, but that's it. I got pulled over for a burned out brake light bulb, and got an "order to inspect" ticket. That means I had to have a Government Certified Safety Inspection. It was condemned. Seems that the engine compartment was made completely out of licsence plates, cut into strips and bondo'd together. Then tarred and painted. I sold it to some guy for parts, and have never seen it since. Now I wish I had it, actually I have come to really like the two door hardtop model of the same year. There are a couple around town, one is pretty stock looking, and the other is all suped up. Even has wheelie bars, I can just imagine what it has for an engine.
    Saw one in my mirror behind me. 2-door coupe, don't know whether it was a Futura or Sprint as I couldn't see the V-8 emblem on the fenders. I tried to drive slowly to let him pass, but he turned left after about 1-1/2 miles. It looked clean and was in Wimbledon White. I'll be checking around that neighborhood ........
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    ...and my family first moved into the neighborhood our elderly neighbors had a black 1961 Ford Falcon sedan with a red and white interior. The car was about eight-years old at the time and in pretty good condition. He later replaced it with a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair which he had until 1976.

The Philadelphia Police Department used 1960 Ford Falcons as patrol cars, but promptly disposed of them since they couldn't take the punishing urban environment and the rigors of police patrol.
    A Vespa could outrun them!
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    a Schwinn could outrun them (I owned one).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• I own a 62 sedan with the 'big' motor 170 cid.

It runs fairly well for the size of the engine.

It can sit for 2 weeks and I can get in it , pull the choke knob(remember those?) and it will start in about 2 seconds of cranking.
    Is that a one-speed Schwinn or a mountain bike (I'm thinking the Falcon automatic could maybe pull away off the line if you were riding on an older Schwinn)

• ..... 2.8 L! But, that 85 h.p. left much to be desired! How was the 0-60 timed ..... in minutes?

As I remember, the 170 had the blue valve cover while the 200 (3.3 L) had red.
    ...rated at 85 hp, or was that the 144? I seem to recall one of the Falcon engines rated at 101 hp. The 170 CID version of the Mopar slant six was rated around 100-110 hp, so I'd imagine that Ford's 170 was pretty close.

Anyway, I'd imagine 0-60 in the lower 20-second range for the 144. Maybe 17-18 seconds for the 170? Just wild guesses here.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    144 had 85 raging horsepower. No one knows what its 0-60 time was...they always gave up after a few hours and went out to lunch.
    I bet you could figure it out with an egg timer.

• You are right, the 144 (2.3 L) was 85 h.p. and with the blue valve cover. The 170 had 101 h.p. with the red cover. I don't know what the color was for the later 200 c.i.d. engine.

We had the '61 and '62 Falcons, both with the mighty 144. Maybe it only made 60 mph in neutral and going downhill ........
This discussion has been closed.