Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RS6 sedan

2»

Comments

• I recall that MT clocked the M5 at ~4.65s 0-60 a while back. If the RS6 is "supposed" to do 4.6 then thats a negligible difference. Also note that the Bimmer has 50 less HP and still makes the same time.
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Posts: 122
    it has a manual.
    the rs6 has a stronger engine, but the automatic helps make up for the difference. the wrong way.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I'm wondering, is there any reason to buy one of these cars other than for bragging rights? I assumed that the mentality was, "my sedan would beat your sports car if I raced" but we all know that none of these sedans are going to see any track time. The sedans are larger and can hold more people, but I wouldn't want to be doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds with my children in the back seat, or a friend in the passenger seat. So, what's the point?

The only thing I can think of is price. Seriously... $70-90k is CHEAP. Tell me how many other 400-500hp cars you can get for that price. Want something with the twisting power of a E55? You'll have to get a Viper (which has its vices and costs at least as much) or maybe a Ferrari that will cost two or two and a half times as much. It's almost as though having the two extra doors and the less sexy sedan styling results in a 50% price savings versus the same ingredients packaged in a "sports car" form factor. (i.e. M5 vs. Z8, E55 vs SL55)

Are these German supersedans basically the German supersedan equivalent of a Camaro? i.e. Cheap copious amounts of power at the expense of a chassis that makes the most of that power?
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Posts: 122
    i see your point, and even agree somewhat. but to use the word "cheap" when talking about an rs6, an m5, an e55, etc. seems a bit silly.
    and i don't think a porsche owner, for example, would consider the sl55 to be a sportscar. actually, i don't know who would. grand tourer? sure. sports car? no.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    Saying the M5 is just as fast as the RS6 with 50 less hp just silly.

Thats like saying the RS6 is better because it can produce more power with a smaller engine.

There are so many factors that come into play that comparing numbers is just pointless.
  • pearsonrjpearsonrj Posts: 51
    To those who think/thought that the RS6 would never give an M5 a run for it's money, take a look at the comparo in the May 2003 edition of Car and Driver. It's a real shame the RS6 doesn't have a 6-speed manual tranny, then it might get close to a 4.0 0-60 time...
  • All Audi RS-6 sceptics ..

know that RS-6 has a legacy of R8 racers, winners of LE Mans race in 2000, 01 and 02. Where were BMWs.. All Beemers could see were taillights..
  • ksurgksurg Posts: 48
    I drove an RS-6 yesterday. It was unbelievable! Unfortunately the price and low residuals at 3 and 4 years were also unbelievable. Given that I would be buying( not leasing because of the low residuals) a new '03 in 12/03 I feel I should be able to get it at or near invoice not MSRP. Despite the greatness of the car they're not exactly hopping out of the dealerships and many have backed out of orders. Consider also that the invoice price of the RS-6 is still above the MSRP of a nicely equipped 03" M5. Does anyone out there have recent experience in purchasing a RS-6.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    it is visually underwhelming, virtually indistinguishable from an A6, of course that's part of the charm.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• . . .but drove the S4 with a manual. I have had 2 V8 A6's, 2 V6 A6's and one 5 cylinder S6 (1995) and one V8 A8 and currently have a V6 allroad. My point is, I see the "lack of visual disctinction" comment loud and clear -- and have driven some very nice Audi V8 and factory "hot rod" offerings (from Audi).

I am disappointed the RS 6's lack of a 6spd transmission (either shifty or shiftless).

I am also disappointed in the low residual.

Having said that, I would certainly love to have one, but the S4 was incredible -- it brought the memories back of the '95 S6 -- the RS 6 seemed, well, a tiny bit too "civil" -- and the price and as noted the residual turn me off.

Put the suspension from the RS 6 into the S4, market the heck out of it and, well, Audi, you will have a license to to print money!

Maybe a test drive in the RS 6 would wow me -- indeed, I am certain it would. But it isn't, to me, $30K more car than my last A6 4.2 "sport" pack equipped version.

As I said, I certainly wouldn't look a "gift" one in the mouth though, if you get my drift.
  • ksurgksurg Posts: 48
    First of all you do have to drive the RS-6 to appreciate it. Coming from another A6 4.2 owner once you drive the RS-6 you be dumb struck to believe that it could share anything other than a shell. I own a Carrera 4S and am tired of visual distinction( some the most distinguished are also cheaply made, placing look over substance). The M5 is not particularly distinguished nor is the E55 AMG. As for residuals...yeah they're poor. However in speaking with a BMW dealer they're anticipating $25-30 over MSRP for 6 months after the car hits the US. So add that into the depreciation. Lastly I don't have to go far to find a M5 or E55 AMG. You want exclusivity go with the RS-6. Too bad most Americans have never driven a RS Audi.
  • . . .but even if my chance to own one is gone, the S4 was very sweet. I hope the RS 6 suspension migrates to other Audis, as I saw the test report of the RS 6 on SPEEDVISION and the comments pertaining to the suspension were awesome.
  • WITH THE S2-DINAN M5 HAVING A 0-60 TIME OF 4.2S(APPROX.) WITH 470HP, THE NEW E55 AMG 0-60 IN ABOUT 4.3S. THE E60 M5 WITH AT LEAST 500HP AND ALSO BEING A LIGHTER CAR WITH THE EXTENSIVE USE OF ALUMINUM. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE E60 M5 TO CLOCK A SUB 4.0S O-60, AND MAYBE A SUB 11.0 1/4 MILE. ALSO WILL THE USE OF ALUMINUM OFFSET THE WEIGHT OF THE E60 WHICH IS LARGER THAN THE E39 IN EVERY DIMENSION.
  • bmwf1bmwf1 Posts: 3
    Certainly not the M5
2»
This discussion has been closed.