Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• I sort of like the sound of the blinker, It is different from other autos I have had. I still get many cars that I meet on the road at night blink there lights on high beam when my lights are on dim for some reason.
  • stephenstephen Posts: 131
    The blinker relay on my Colorado sounds like a metronome. Yesterday, it put me into a trance while I was snowplowing my driveway, and I snapped out of it only after driving in circles for 20 minutes. Snoop Dogg's new hit "Drop It like It's Hot" was playing on the radio and that's what brought me out of the trance, I believe.

stephen
    I have 671 miles on my 4 cyl 5speed ext cab LS Z85 with Western 6' - 8" personal snowplow. It has been snowing every day in Northern Michigan recently and I am very impressed with the traction of the standard General tires that came with the truck.

I can stack snow six feet high and these tires will go deep into the pile and still pull out of it (in double-low) just as good as any tire I've ever plowed with.

The truck and tires are nice and smooth and quite in highway driving. Just a little noise and vibration under load going up hills, no more than you'd expect from a 4 cylinder engine.

stephen
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    You must be the first person I've come accross who likes the Generals.
    Bad reviews notwithstanding, in a survey of 62 owners of General Tires by Tire Rack, the overall rating was "good". A couple of favorable survey comments were:

"These tires were original on my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport and now have 77,380 miles. Really have been pleased with them overall. We commute 150 miles a day in this vehicle, all interstate 70+ mph driving in every weather condition there is...."

And:

"I thought these were the greatest tires I ever owned until I started reading other reviews. 85,000 miles on these tires and they still have plenty of tread left. They get me through deep snow, wet pavement, etc with NO problem."

Checking the Tire Rack site further, I see that for Colorado size tires, the Kumho Venture HT got the best ratings of all the brands, "Superior" in most categories from 61 customers.

Michelin, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, Firestone and Goodyear all got a higher rating overall than the Generals.

stephen
  • Tyrone,

Its a real shame you believe everything you read. I own a Colorado Z71 LS Extended Cab. It went to the dealer once for a loose electrical clip. I was in and out of the service department in 10 minutes. My Colorado has been flawless otherwise. Maybe you should read the multitude of owner's reviews on Edmunds and you'll find that a vast majority of us love our Colorados.

I'm no apologist for GM or Detroit for that matter either. I test drove both a Toyota and Nissan small trucks and found them both overpriced and gas guzzlers to boot. Try talking to one of us who actually own one. I put no creedence in what the Edmunds reviewer says either. I drive a Colorado every day and wouldn't trade it for any of its competitors.
  • I've had my Colorado Z-71 Crew Cab just about 1 month and am quite pleased overall so far. However, the first time through the car wash, the upper windshield molding came halfway off on the drivers side. I snapped it back in but as soon as I got on the highway it blew right off. I assumed it needed to be glued with adhesive. Brought it to the dealer and the mechanic apparently did the same thing I did (although I assumed he had glued it). After I got it back it blew off on the highway again. The service manager I dealt with said the molding was just supposed to snap in. Anyone else have this problem or know the fix? It is very irritating to have to keep returning to the dealer to get such a minor problem taken care of properly. I'm beginning to wonder if my windshield is not seated properly.
  • Just talked to a buddy who bought a 5 cyl crew cab 4x4 and he loves it. Had a 13 year old s10 4x4 he babied but finally started costing a lot to maintain. Has not had problems.

GM "generally" (pun intended) puts crap tires on its non-performance cars. Why they do this to save $20 a car when it makes the vehicles behave so badly is beyond understanding of consumers.

My dad had a Citation (talk about stellar designs) that came with cheap Generals and they were horrible in the rain, the car would like to 360 - of course some of this was crappy brake system....

Dirk
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,085
    GM "generally" (pun intended) puts crap tires on its non-performance cars.

========================================================

Most carmakers put crap tires on most of their cars. It comes down to the lowest bidder (except factory Michelins, which I suspect are sold cheaply to the factory, just not to consumers who want an OEM replacement tire)... I was astonished to see the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S is OEM on the new Mustang GT. It's currently the top of its class in the Tire Rack survey.
  • Once again I will say- The General Tires on the Colorado's are complete junk! My truck vibrated from day one with General Tires. The dealer replaced the tires with the same type- still vibrated. I replaced with Goodyear RT/S- No vibration. The General looked like they were egg shaped. If the Generals are so great why are the GM engineers working on a more suitable tire. I've talked to other Colorado owners on a Colorado site, and they all complain about the tires. I bought Goodyears, because I believe in buying American. I don't want my money going to France. So read your reviews, I know quality when I see it.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,085
    General Tire is owned by Continental, a German corporation. Michelin is based in France. Both manufacture tires at plants in the United States.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    Most mfrs put the lowest price tire on a car they think they can get away with. My wife's $38k Volvo wagon came with cheapo Continentals (Owns General tire also) and I've gotten better tires on Pontiacs & Chevys which I paid a whole lot less for.
  • I have been trying to convince someone I know to buy a Colorado Crew-Cab 5-cyl. for a while now. He insists he wants an Avalanche, but they aren't they nicest looking trucks and I know it wouldn't be the right truck for him anyway.

Any ideas on how I could convince him?
    I wouldn't try to convince him too much; but I've owned full size Ext Cab, S-10, Yukon and now the Canyon Crew 4WD Z71 w/5 cyl. (over 15k miles)

The positives I see with my Canyon:

- Much better mileage than full size

- If you need the truck part; the avalanche isn't as convenient. (The rails interfere with using the box fully. i.e. filling with front end loader, loading and hauling bulky items/trash...)

- Its as comfortable as full size unless you gotta haul 5/6 adults.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Try talking to one of us who actually own one. I put no creedence in what the Edmunds reviewer says either. I drive a Colorado every day and wouldn't trade it for any of its competitors.

I've owned the S10, Tacoma and Frontier. When the Colorado arrived I planned to purchase one. After I drove it several times I came to the conclusion that it was not even ready to compete with my 2003 Tacoma, and it is far behind the 05 Dakota, 05 Frontier and 05 Tacoma. The biggest problem with the Colorado is the cheap interior quality or materials and crude design. Fix the interior and I'll forgive GM for the I5, the lack of a composite bed, the lack of a factory spray in bedliner, the lack of a sunroof option, the lack or bed cleats, and etc..

And it is not just my opinion.

Nearly every review of the Colorado/Canyon that compares it with Tacoma, Dakota and Frontier ranks the Chevy/GMC last.

My GM Card earnings continue to burn a hole in my pocket.

Silverado is a credible (more than) competitor in the fullsize truck market, still waiting for GM to get serious about the small/midsize trucks.
    My experience with the General tires thus far on my Colorado (750 miles) is that they are beautifully smooth, excellent tracking, perfect handling, amazing traction. But....I've only had the truck three weeks.

stephen
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I had a Avalanche for 2 years before trading in on Trailblazer last spring. I now have a Colorado Z71 Crew that I traded a Cavalier for in Sept. There is no comparison between a Avalanche and a Colorado. Though I love my Colorado it isn't a Avalanche, of course it's 10 grand cheaper, smaller, and doesn't ride as well either, even though it rides good. There is just no way to compare these two vehicles. One more thing, you can't get 1/2 the options on the Colorado as you can buy on the Av.
  • I have an 04 Colorado automatic, Vortec engine, etc., with an annoying vibration problem. At exactly 2100 RPM, I get this noise which sounds a lot like a buzzing sound from the engine compartment. At first I thought it might be some of the plastic components vibrating. Then I thought it might be something like the transmission cooler tubes vibrating against each other. It does it in neutral, as well as on the road. I have been all over the vehicle yanking this, and banging on that', and I just can't find it. Besides being a pretty poor showing for a truck with only 2000 miles on it, has anyone else had this problem, and if so what was the cause?
  • I have the same truck (without the plow) and have 15,000 miles on it. I recently had the vibration problem solved by bulletin 04-03-07-004 (alignment/Z hight). Other than that, no problems. I use it mostly as a commuter, so the 23-25 mpg out of a 4x4 is awesome. I still think that the Generals are junk, but am at the mercy of the dealership (had the second set put on at 10,000).
    Thanks - I finally got around to resetting them and the procedure you provided seems to work fine. I tried it and it made the change just as described!

(It took me a while to try out as I got sent on overseas biz trip, then holidays and then finally put it in the body shop to get some vandalism fixed.)

Well over 15k miles and coming up on 1 year with this Canyon and I haven't had any issues.
  • I drove the Nissan, Toyota and a Dodge before I bought my Colorado. The Dodge was junk. I have a friend who has a Nissan and spends at least once a month at the dealership for something that needs fixed. The Toyota was nice, but $5k more in price and crappy gas mileage.. I'll pass thanks. If you read the 'professional' reviews, yeah sure that Tacoma is nice if you want to pay $30K. Is the premium interior worth all that extra money? If you're looking to tow heavy stuff, then buy a full size and stop [non-permissible content removed] footing around with a little truck. I'm in sales and in my truck every day. Its very comfortable and all the gauges and switches are exactly where they are supposed to be. My Colorado has been bulletproof. I've done nothing but change oil and rotate tires and I have 22K on the clock. The truck looks great and turns heads everywhere I go. Sure the interior could been jazzed up, but it does the job and it doesn't rattle or squeak and its silent going down the road. So I think that GM got pretty serious about the small truck market and probably has one of the best of the group in my opinion.
    I'm very happy with my Canyon. I went to the PDX Auto Show today. I spent some time touching and feeling the Canyon-Colorado-New Dakota - New Tacoma. I haven't drive the new Dakota or Tacoma, but...

The new Dakota is not that much upgrade from the old. Interior is at best on par with GM's. The new sheet metal is, well less to my liking then the old. It does have the V8 option if you want a screamer pu.

The Tacoma is better than the old Tacoma. Roomier and the interior is the best. Based on a crew cab w/V6 - loaded up it is going to be the most expensive. For the hwy cowboy it will probably be the choice unless it drives bad.

BTW - the funniest "Pickup" is the new Honda Ridgeline. A midsize crew cab, but the bed is fiberglass. Yes, fiberglass with a "trunk" - back half of the bed lifts up exposing a decent size well. It won't do it well to haul much gravel or yard debris in the back.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The composite bed on the Honda is being manufactured by the same company that made the Pro-Tec composite beds for Silverado full size trucks. Stronger than steel and won't rust. Several people I know who have the Pro-Tec beds and they all love them. You can take a sledgehammer to them and not damage them. Better for hauling yard debris and gravel than a steel bed.

quote- Pro-Tec was 50 lbs. (23 kg) lighter than a steel bed. It didn't corrode, scratch or dent. It wasn't slippery and didn't trap water like bedliners do. But it also is a technology unfamiliar to consumers, who either are happy with considerably less-expensive bedliners or who don't care about the appearance of their nicked-up steel cargo boxes.-end

The "funny" Ridgeline has-

1. A tailgate that is load rated for minimum of 300 lbs. And it opens to the side or the standard fold down.

2. Power sliding rear window that will not buffet wind when open due to special design of the roof. Nice.

3. The trunk is waterproof, has a drainplug (I'm thinking taigating and beer!) and is big enough for 3 golf bags.

4. There is additional storage available under the rear seat when folded down or it may be folded up.

5. Large center console armrest/storage that slides forward or backward.

Just a few of the funny features that I would like to see on the Colorado.

Funny thing is, the Ridgeline is about the same size as an Avalance in most dimensions.
  • I was talking to a co-worker this afternoon, and he and I both agreed the "perfect" vehicle for us would be a Colorado-based Avalanche-type vehicle; something you could use to haul the family and/or bigger stuff from Home Depot, but that was smaller/easier to maneuver (Avalanche won't fit in my garage), and got better gas mileage than the full-size Avalanche.

Anyone else agree (or know if there's anything like this in the pipeline at GM)?
    I have to disagree with you to a point. The bed over the "trunk" in the Ridgeline is unsupported and composite or not its a whole lot more flexible than steel. Time will tell.

I'm curious about the Sierra bed. My Sierra only had side panels that were composite, but the "bed" was steel. When did Chev/GMC make the entire bed composite?
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Well as far as im concerned (and its my sole opinion), the Ridgeline is just down right ugly.
  • Well guys I`ve had my extented cab 4x4 Colorado for nearly 4 months and I have to tell you that the more I drive it the more I like it. This is the best little truck I have ever had and besides getting 20 mpg and being easy to maneuver around in traffic and park it`s fun to drive. The only trouble I`ve had is to have the front end lined up because of tire wear. I have 6800 miles on it and looking forward to many more. Buy one and see for yourself.
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    I've been eyeing the Colorado lately. I need a 2nd vehicle, (the other being a minivan for the family) and a small truck would be pretty practical for us. I saw that FOrd is offering the Explorer Sport Trac for $229 (plus tax) for 24 months. I was considering a Colorado, maybe a smart buy finance for 36 or 48 months.

Did you compare the Sport Trac to the Colorado? I have also been looking at the new Dakota, but the gas mileage has me concerned. And I think the Toyota and Nissan will be out of my price range. The regular Ranger seems too ancient.

Did you consider the 4 door over the extended cab? I could probably make do with either, although the 4 door would be a bit more practical for me. Was the 4x4 vs. the 4x2 a consideration? I had a 4x2 Nissan once, and would swear I would never have a 4x2 truck again. I would get stuck in parking lots. I guess with proper weights and snow tires, it wouldn't be a huge issue. I won't be going off road with this truck.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    >>Was the 4x4 vs. the 4x2 a consideration?<<

Another thread has batted this Q around a bit. One theory that I go along with is that a 4X2 with traction control, ABS, aggressive snow tires on all four wheels, 300 lbs of sandbags over the axle and a driver with common sense is the equal of a 4X4 in most situations you'll ever run into. Plus you save on initial cost, maintenance and mpg. Think of it economically: Which would you d'ruther have -- a) a new 4X4 pickup, or b) a new 4X2 pickup plus enough $$$ left in your pocket to finance an Alaskan cruise for the whole fam damily.
This discussion has been closed.