Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• dawgfan1977dawgfan1977 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 05 colorado with the 4 door ext. cab and have a crazy question to ask. When you stand behind the truck and look down the sides, the rear door on the driver's side is not flush with the bed of the truck while the passenger side is. the door seems to stick out a little further on the driver's side. i know it sounds picky but now that I have noticed it, it drives me nuts. I called my dealer and naturally they say that its typical and nothing to worry about. what do you think?
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    My car I worry about. My truck I don't. Life is easier owning a truck.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have the regular cab 05. I will have to look at mine tomorrow to see if I have the same thing. I don't blame you for being upset. I would want it right too. Doors are supposed to line up.
  • hammer52hammer52 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2004 Colorada Z71 4X4 in July of 2004 and have just turned 6000 miles. Its been back to the dealer three time with problems. Its there right now with a problem they can't seem to figure out. They replaced the VCM (computer) and called me and said it was ready to go. Wrong. I started it up and it rev'd up to 2000 rpms then almost died and the picture a engine alarm came on. They gave me a 1998 Olds to drive (gas gauge on empty) and said they would call me when its fixed. I traded in a 2001 S-10 that I wish I had back. I think its all the parts from the lowest bidder from all over the world thats the problem. When I bought my truck I read up on it and I guess it was to new for there to have been many problems reported yet. I want to stay with "Built In The USA" but this might be the last shot for me.
  • pdb1pdb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Ext Cab. Inside the bed above the front hooks on each side is about a 2.5x8" oblong with 2 holes punched out. Anyone have a clue if these serve a purpose other that a "hook" location?">
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I have a 2004 Colorado and I have noticed that when the air condition is running that it cycles cold and cool back and fourth. The dealer checked the gas in the unit and it was alittle low so they filled it to spec. It still does the cycling, so I wonder if anyone else is having the same thing on their truck? The temp stays cool enough to keep you cool but I don`t understand why it does the cycling. Maybe it`s supposed to do that.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Common complaint, especially on the 04 models. It's been mentioned that the system cycles on and off too much but that GM designed it that way. My 05 does it too but it seems to work well enough that it doesn't bother me.
    Go back to earlier postings. There were several posts regarding this problem. I test drove my 05 before I bought it, specifically because I wanted to see if the AC was doing the same thing and the cab noise for the regular cab. I have put 500 miles on mine and I live in Nashville, Tennessee. Mine seems fine so far, but I notice the comment from one of the responders to your post that his does the same thing but that it does keep it comfortable. I will pay closer attention to mine. The earlier postings talk about what the dealer did to solve the problem.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    One post stated it has .5 lb of 134a, if thats the case it leaves little room for leakage. :)
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    First-off, I don't own a Colorado, but I've been eyeing them since they first came out last year. Currently, I drive a 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6. Nice small(er) SUV
    with sucky gas-mileage, but it hasn't been too problematic otherwise. The reason I posted is that I've got friend who's a mechanic at a local Chevy dealership. He's pretty current on what's happening at GM, or at least so he seems to be. He mentioned the other day that Chevy may be considering dropping the Colorado/GMC if sales do not pick-up substantially. I cannot substantiate his claim with any other story or rumor as yet.
    I believe that they are not selling as well as can be expected, but are only doing moderately well in sales. The long-term strategy for GM would be to drop the small truck line completely to concentrate on the full-size line which sell quite well in Texas, expecially with the GM Employee discount, as long as it lasts.
    He has a full-size 2500 HD 6.0 L. which gets about 14-15 max. on the highway and about 12-13 in the city. Good truck, good for him, but too-big for me
    and my gas budget. The gas mileage on the 1500 Silverado models is supposedly
    16-20 with better mileage possible. I talked to one owner who says he's gotten
    26 mpg on the highway with his 1500 5.3L. GM has plans to increase mileage in
    it's new line of 2007 trucks with various fuel-savings features. Could push the mileage to feasibly 20 City/26 Hwy., which is much better than the 5-cyl. mileage
    on the Colorado/Canyon is getting at present. Of course the trade-off is price, larger vehicle vs. smaller. However, I do think the Colorado line is a bit overpriced
    at current prices.
    The bottom-line, what has anybody else heard about the Colorado/Canyon possibly being discontinued, which would be a GM concession to Nissan/Toyota
    that GM cannot compete on their turf ? Not trying to cause a stir, just curious about the future of the Colorado/Canyon line if I buy one.
  • gmiller1977gmiller1977 Member Posts: 14
    I'm not a GM employee, a dealer, etc, but from my understanding, the platform that the Colorado/Canyon are built on are going to be around until at least 2008 before a major refresh is done.

I don't know why people say these trucks are not selling. There are a TON of them up here in Toronto (Ontario, Canada). I see far more of the Canyon/Colorado than I do any other small truck of the same year.

The engine is well proven, and IMHO the truck is better then the old S10 (which was not a bad truck either).

The midsize pick up market is a strange one. It's a very slim piece of the overall pie... people who want functionality, druability, towing capability but not huge power.

I think with the fall of the large SUVs you'll find more and more people switching to vehicles like the Colorado and it's cousins.

At the same time... if you like the Colorado/Canyon... what do you care if they discontinue it? It's a great little truck... The S10 was discontinued... does that man it's suddenly bad? The Colorado is a tough, good looking and other than a silly little problem with the AC on mine (it whistled - TSB) I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it.
    Point taken. Truth is I prefer smaller-mid-size trucks over the larger ones anyway. However, in Texas, excusing the cliches, everything seems to come in big-sizes, including trucks. I did question my friend when I brought up the fact that GM/Hummer just placed the 3.5 V6 in the new H3 (small(er)) Hummer, and that GM probably wouldn't have committed that much research money or resources, if they weren't going to stick with the basic modular engine platform.
    His point was simply, why buy a mid-size, 5-cyl.I-6, when I can get into a full
    5.3L V-8 for only a few thousand more and with gas-mileage almost as good
    on the V-8 as opposed to the I-6. My choice, but I still prefer a smaller package than a full-size that I don't really need for towing or heavy-duty. The Colorado/Canyon seems to fit the bill if I take the plunge once again for all of my needs. Besides, GM usually have most of the kinks worked-out on the first-second year run vehicles by the the 3rd year. Also, they are continually improving or enhancing vehicles to either make them more appealing to buyers. The Colorado/Canyon line would fall in this category too.
    Frankly, I think the guy is just feeding you junk to sell you on a full size pickup where profit margins are generally higher. And maybe he is confusing the mileage of the Colorado with the 4.2 I6 in the Trailblazer. The 3.5 is an I5, not an I6. I have a serious problem believing any full size truck got 26 mpg on the highway. It's just not possible, at least not at speeds over 55. My neighbor owns an 03 or 04 1500 with the 5.3 V8. He is complaining bigtime that it guzzles gas. He says he is lucky to see 15 mpg with rural/city driving. Honestly, I see no reason to buy a fullsize truck unless you need to tow very heavy things. But Texans are different in their desire to own large machines.

I seriously doubt GM has any plans of killing the Colorado. They have invested way too much money on the platform and use it for multiple applications. It's here to stay at least for the next 8-10 years based on GM's past track record of redesigning their trucks. Now, Ford, on the other hand, has announced future plans of killing the Ranger pickup. They have no redesign plans in sight and aren't investing money on it, so I'm sure we will see the Ranger die.

If you are honestly interested in the Colorado, I would give the 2.8 four banger a try. It's got surprising power and great mileage. It's the best four banger truck on the market. I have never wished I got the I5.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say he's feeding me junk, but maybe he's not getting the whole picture or plan that GM has. Like you say, GM does not dump that much money into a redesigned platform to dump it 2-yrs. after intorduction unless it is so bad as to be not worth continuing. I continue to see Colorado/Canyon's on the road in increasing numbers. I don't think that GM will be dumping it unless it is totally unprofitable for them.
    My friend does tell me that he can substantiate the fuel numbers quoted for the 5.3 L V8, but so far it's just anecdotal. I do have another friend who says he gets about 23-mpg straight hwy driving on his 1500 5.3 V8 again anectdotal. I do question the 26-mpg hwy. though a bit.
  • cs1992cs1992 Member Posts: 17
    If GM were smart they's invest a little time and money into improving the Colorado platform. They need to address the subpar interior, paint, and horsepower issues. If I were in the market for a pickup right now, the Colorado would be my choice (due to pricing).

Another issue that a lot of folks have with GM are the confusing rebates. GM needs to simply lower their MSRPs proportionately and eliminate these rebates. When a Colorado is priced at $25000 MSRP and I can buy it for $19500, it is ridiculous to play this rebate game. Too many hoops to jump through!
    You may get your wish per the Inside Line news on Edmund's, GM is apparently going to lower their 2006 prices and attempt to ween people off the rebate-fix-craze. Depends on how much they ultimately lower the MSRP's if potential consumers will bite. From what I undersand the potential mark-up on full-size pick-ups is sky-high, less so on the Colorado/Canyon. So, GM has some convincing to do to lure customers in by just lowering MSRP.
    Conversely, if the MSRP is only lowered by $1K on a Colorado/Canyon and GM expects people to bite, then I think that they are sorely mistaken. I think it's finally sinking in with GM, Ford, etc. that a lot of potential customers really do their homework, and just how accessible information is on the internet and elsewhere. I will be in the market and am definitely keeping the Colorado/Canyon twins on my list for small(er) pick-ups. Toyota and Nissan pricing is a bit high at present. Maybe it'll even-out when the Tacoma and Frontier seem to be less hot.
    If you are honestly interested in the Colorado, I would give the 2.8 four banger a try. It's got surprising power and great mileage. It's the best four banger truck on the market. I have never wished I got the I5.

I must agree. The 4 cylander Colorado (at least in the std cab) is powerful enough for everything I throw at it... and it smokes most smaller vehicles on the hwy for passing. Does it beat my father in law's Dodge RAM 2500 Turbo Diesel? No. But, at the same time, it pulls what I need it to.

I never knew how versatile a truck was until I owned one. I'll never own a car again.

I love my 'rado :)
    Colorado/Canyon twins on my list for small(er) pick-ups. Toyota and Nissan pricing is a bit high at present. Maybe it'll even-out when the Tacoma and Frontier seem to be less hot.

I must agree with you on this.

Before I bought my 'rado I only owned Toyota's. So did everyone else in my family. I've owned a Tercel and a Corolla. I was very happy with both. Taking the plunge to a non "import" was a bit scary for me after hearing all the "horror" stories about American cars.

Did I consider a Tacoma? No way. It's WAY more expensive then what I could afford for an entry level truck. For the cost of a fully loaded Tacoma I could've bought a fully loaded Silverado :)
  • evile1evile1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi--I am new to your group here---I have been reading this thread for the past two nights, and decided to join. I own a 2004 Colorado--Sunburst Orange, I 5, reg cab, auto trans, Z71. I bought it in July '04. I drive a lot, and have put 15,000 miles on it so far! I have had MANY problems with it. The brake lights quit working, they said the switch burned out. The alignment was off. The center console broke. I also had a vibration noise that they couldn't fix or figure out ( I took it to them 5 times!) They finally fixed it, and said it was vibration from the exhaust heat shield. It would happen at around 1800 RPMs. Now I am having problems with it almost stalling out in park with the A/C on, and the check engine light stays on for 2 days! I took it to them, and they hooked it up to the diagnostics machine, and could find nothing. I have also had hard morning start ups and a replaced battery. I have taken it in for problems probably 10-12 times in 11 months. I own a 2001 Blazer, and have had no problems at all with it, but my Colorado seems to be a piece of sh*t!!!!! I love the way it looks, and drives, but the problems are overwhelming. I wish I would have gone Nissan or Toyota (and I am a HUGE Chevy guy!). It makes me feel better knowing others are having problems also, but that is discouraging as well. I guess I shouldn't have bought a first year model vehicle--I have learned my lesson the hard way for sure!
  • remoteraycerremoteraycer Member Posts: 17
    Im interested in a Colorado Crew Cab with the 4 cylinder/auto. Im looking for mpg since my commute is mostly highway miles. What kind of RPM is the Colorado making at 75 mph with the 3.73 rear gear??
    I have been reading about all of the problems Colorado owners have been having. I don`t understand why some people have many problems and others have few. I have had my truck for nearly one year with very few problems and I am very happy with and would buy another one in the future. I`ve always heard that the first year is the most problematic with any auto but if I had the problems that some others have had I guess I would trade and never buy another GM auto again. Maybe GM will get all of the things fixed soon.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I've had mine since last Sept. and only time its been back is for normal service. I really wonder how many have been sold and how many members here. If they have sold 100K since they have been out and if there are 200 people on this forum then what is the percentage having problems? Most people who do all the posting here are the ones with problems. My guess is less than 1% of owners have a problem but the ones who do tend to do all the posting. Kind of like newspapers and TV news. All you see is trouble.
    That is probably very true. I am one of the ones having problems, and I found this forum because of it. I am looking for answers. I suspect most of the others on here have done the same. It is just so very frustrating when you pay over $20,000 for a vehicle, and it's in the shop as much as you drive it!!
    Statistics show that you only hear about the big problem issues versus the people who are generally happy with their purchase. This applies to anything... TVs, toasters, cars, etc.

The simple truth is this... all of the trucks are the same. Some may have human error (ie someone fell asleep at the assembly line), some may have a defective part, but, it's important to remember that if you DID get a troublesome truck, it's not like GM is "out to get you" :)

Utilize your warranty, that's what it's there for. It's your RIGHT to have YOUR vehicle fixed to the way YOU expect it to have shipped from the factory.
    Since I purchased my Colorado, I've been reading about the oil life monitor on numerous boards. I've always taken my cars in every 6000km (what the factory recommended on my Corolla) and never had any problems.

I know GM invested a lot of money into the OLM, but I'm having a hard time adjusting :)

How many miles (or KMs) are the rest of you getting before the vehicle informs you about oil life being depleted? What kind of driving are you doing? Are you doing any heavy towing?

I'm past 9200kms, but, it still hasn't gone off and I'm getting anxious. On the flip side, the oil is PERFECTLY clean, has no burnt smell, and I typically keep the truck under 2500rpm (as 95% of my driving is hwy).

I'm interested in hearing from the rest of you about your experiences.

On a side note, once the OLM informs me of the needed change, how much oil does the Colorado (2.8L) engine require? I plan on switching to synthetic and don't want to pay dealer prices for oil I can buy for 50% less :)
    I`m from the old school that believes that the life of a auto engine is clean oil and clean air. I have waited for my truck to tell me it`s time to change the oil and I just couldn`t. After 8k I went ahead and changed the oil. In the past I always changed the oil at 5k it just seemed the simplest way 5k, 10k 15k. I also would like to know how many miles others that can wait for the olm system are getting before they change. I know it all has to do with how you use your truck. I mostly drive to and from work, about 50 miles a day.
    I waited to around 8,500 miles, and it never went off, so I changed it then. I have been regularly changing it every 3-4 k miles since.
    The owner manual says to change it when the OLM system tells you or every year which ever comes first. That just doesn`t seem right.
    I waited until 5000 city miles before changing my oil. The dealer said the OLM tends to go off around 7500 miles or so. I decided to change the oil early mainly because it was the first time. I still don't feel comfortable letting it go much longer then 5k so I'm not sure if I will follow it or not.
    No it doesn't seem right, I agree! I think old-school as well, and would think the engine would prefer nice fresh oil over dirty old broken down oil! I have it changed at the dealership, and they always put 3,000 miles or 3 months for my next change, so that's what I've been doing!
    You are correct gmiller1977! The thing is, is that I only get a 3 year, 36k warranty on the truck. I have used my warranty, so much in fact, that they all know me by name at the dealership, and enterprise rentals!! It is sad that I have had to take it in for continuous problems over the past 11 months. Not to mention how much of a hassle it is to take it in and all. My warranty is almost half over, and it scares me what will happen once it expires. I did not buy the extended warranty, but that's ok because once my factory warranty expires, I will trade the lemon in and buy a Toyota or Nissan.
    The dealer always pushes the 3,000 mile change because that is lucrative for them. With today's engines and oil, 5,000 is a good marker for changing the oil. In Consumer Reports a couple of years ago, they did a study on the wear of the engine changing every three versus every five. There was very little difference.
    Well, I have just encountered the first problem with my 05 4 cyl ext cab and its a strange one. I can't quite describe the entire problem because it happened in the hands of the other half. But here is what was described to me. When you turn on the left blinker, both of the interior turn signal indicators were flashing, as if the emergency flasher was on and there was no tick-tock noise. When you turn on the right blinker, it operates normally. Then, when you press the brake pedal, there was a single tocking sound and the right turn indicator glowed slightly. This happened all the way to work in the morning and then part of the way home. It suddenly stopped acting up while driving. What the hell is going on with my truck? I've heard of funky electrical problems but this is just spooky! Anyone else experience anything like this? Now that it's working normally, there is no way I can get it looked at. Is there a body control computer that runs the turn signals like in the Malibu?
  • kevinhkevinh Member Posts: 1
    I am attempting to find some info on the I5 GM engine and am having no luck on the web. I want some of the more detailed information such as rod/stroke ratio and deck height. I need this to build a computer model in Pro/E for an idea I am working on. Some other info I need is the spacing dimensions of the cylinder bores and cylinder head bolts along with specs on the timing chain and its distance from the first cylinder. Also I am curious if the cylinders are sleeved with cast iron and if they are able to replace them and what does the block weight when stripped down?

I know I am asking alot but if someone knows where I can find this detailed information even if I have to purchase it I would appreciate the help. The very most important thing for me to get going at this time is the deck height and cylinder bore spacing. I don't care if the info comes from the 4 or 6 either, the dimensions should be identical beings it is a modular design. Please correct me if I am wrong,Thank You

Kevin
    Well, I have just encountered the first problem with my 05 4 cyl ext cab and its a strange one. I can't quite describe the entire problem because it happened in the hands of the other half. But here is what was described to me. When you turn on the left blinker, both of the interior turn signal indicators were flashing, as if the emergency flasher was on and there was no tick-tock noise. When you turn on the right blinker, it operates normally. Then, when you press the brake pedal, there was a single tocking sound and the right turn indicator glowed slightly. This happened all the way to work in the morning and then part of the way home. It suddenly stopped acting up while driving. What the hell is going on with my truck? I've heard of funky electrical problems but this is just spooky! Anyone else experience anything like this? Now that it's working normally, there is no way I can get it looked at. Is there a body control computer that runs the turn signals like in the Malibu?

Yes, there is a BCM on the Colorado similar to the Malibu.

To be honest, your problem doesn't seem all that wierd to me. My business partner has a Saturn ION which also has a BCM. There is a firmware bug in the BCM on the 04 ION that causes similar things to happen. It starts when someone plugs in a cell phone charger. The computer sees the drain as surge and turns off features that cause VERY strange things to happen.

After the 5th time that the weirdness occurred, he finally called Saturn and they told him to put the key in the ignition, and switch it between off and accessories (not start) *quicikly* a dozen times or so. This causes a reset to the BCM and makes everything work properly again.

I'm willing to bet that have encountered something similar on your truck. If you had a severe electrical problem, things wouldn't work properly period... it wouldn't fix itself.

Let us know how it pans out for you.
    Interesting. I was beginning to wonder if maybe the trailer wiring harness that Uhaul installed may be the cause of my problem and now suspect it even further after your remarks. The wiring harness was installed 4 months ago but maybe a wire has come loose and is crossing paths with other wires causing a drain that is confusing the BCM. I did take it to my Chevy dealer just to inquire if the problem was known and he suggested the wiring harness may be the problem. I'll probably take it down to Uhaul and have them look at it to make sure its still hooked up properly. I'll be relieved if it is their harness caising the problem because that means my truck is still completely trouble free after 5400 miles.

The Chevy dealer did mention that a wiring harness is normally already present above the spare tire and you just have to pull it back. Is this true?
  • ghislainghislain Member Posts: 34
    Hi:
    I have a 2003 Silverado which did exactly what you describea bout 1 1/2 year ago. The problem would occur every now and then at first then it eventually happened quite frequently. I took it in to the dealer here in Ottawa and they replaced a faulty relay. Problem never re-occured.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the info!
    The Chevy dealer did mention that a wiring harness is normally already present above the spare tire and you just have to pull it back. Is this true?

I can't answer this question for SURE as I had the factory installed towing package put in... however, on every other vehcile that I've ever owned, wiring for optional areas (speakers, etc) has ALWAYS been there. For the cost of the wiring versus the cost of deciding which vehicles that are to receive it against those who aren't doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just cheaper to put the wiring in.

I'm sure that the harness is there on a new 'rado and I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for what happened to yours.
    Hey, what happened to all of the info. swapping about Colorados. Has everyones truck suddenly been fixed? I`m still happy with mine one year later. It does everything I ask it to do. I`m going to put a K&N filter on it when it`s time to change, maybe that will help the power alittle. :P
  • pagefirstpagefirst Member Posts: 1
    The info you need is available on gmpowertrain.com.
    Good luck with the power. I like the truck but it is one sluggish 4 cylinder. My Honda would run all over it. I am happy with the truck though and I am glad I have the 4 cylinder with the current price of gasoline.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    don't you think the Honda is a whole lot lighter than the TRUCK. I bet the Honda is at least 500lbs lighter or even a thousand if the truck is a 4X4
    Hey, what happened to all of the info. swapping about Colorados. Has everyones truck suddenly been fixed? I`m still happy with mine one year later. It does everything I ask it to do. I`m going to put a K&N filter on it when it`s time to change, maybe that will help the power alittle.

Hehe, yeah, it has been pretty quiet around here. I'm STILL waiting for my OLM to go off. I'm up to 10600km now (not bad for less than 3 months of driving hehe). Oil is still pretty clean. I'm going to let it go the first time - I want to see how far it will really go. Then I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 (full synth).

I had a K&N filter in my Corolla... it helped a bit. My Tercel had one too.... that made a HUGE difference. I'm pleased with the power of my i4 though... not sure why everyone else doesn't think it's peppy.

I also found some interesting information on the OLM and how it works. From some website called "Bob the Oil Guy" :) I can post it here (it's pretty big) if anyone is interested.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Any comments on this combo would be much appreciated since I'm not that knowledgeable about suspensions, etc. I guess I'm thinking (?) along the lines of is the Z71 suspension "wasted" on a 2WD vehicle and is there much point to it without 4WD. Oh yeah...I've been looking at one and the price is right. Love the chrome side steps.
    Any comments on this combo would be much appreciated since I'm not that knowledgeable about suspensions, etc. I guess I'm thinking (?) along the lines of is the Z71 suspension "wasted" on a 2WD vehicle and is there much point to it without 4WD. Oh yeah...I've been looking at one and the price is right. Love the chrome side steps.

Hmm... suspension questions are hard to answer because it's more of a personal preference to the individual driver.

I have the Z85 suspension on my 'rado. I love it. I like stiffer firmer suspensions. The ride isn't like a car... but that's fine to me, I wanted a truck. My understanding is that the maintenance is somewhat lower on the Z85 which is a "no frills" suspension.

See if you can drive both a Z85 and Z71... see what you prefer more.

Now, as for 4WD.... *personally* I have no use for it. If you are driving into sand, or gravel pits, then yeah, it makes sense. What kind of driving do you plan on doing to justify the 4WD purchase? Remember, adding 4WD adds weight and uses extra gas regardless of whether or not it's engaged.
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    I will be in the need for a new vehicle in the near future and have maxed out my old school GM card for $3,500 off so a GM product would be nice. My problem is the Colorado has no engine and it isn't like the MPG is that much better to justify it. The Nissan Frontier can be had with a 265HP 6 cylinder at a decent price. If Colorado sales are soft some of the blame has to go towards this engine, it is just not going to inspire me to drop 25 grand for a crew cab 4x4.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Thanks for the response. I prefer the ride of the Z85 very slightly, but the best deal available with a reasonable option package where I am is on a Z71 2WD. Like you, I don't have much need for 4WD and don't do any serious offroading. However, since the Z71 package is somewhat more expensive. I was wondering if there was much value to it without 4WD and in relativiely "light" driving.
  • kmeleonkmeleon Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you. The only people that you are going to see posting on here are the people that have a problem. I just purchased a 05 Colorado Z71 Ext. Cab and I love it. I too have had it back to the dealership. Maybe I am fortunate to have the dealer that I have because they give me a loaner during the time they have my vehicle. It has been there four times now and it is because of this horrible vibration that I have on the right front driver side. I have no idea what it is and they don't either. However, they try different things each time I take it in. I have read much about people's concerns about the American General tires. I have suggested that to the dealership and they are taking that into consideration. They are planning to replace them today along with the balljoint and torsion bar. I hope that this is it. But if it isn't....it isn't the end of the world. I know that the dealer is working on it and it isn't like they are just blowing smoke up my [non-permissible content removed]. They are truly trying to figure out what is wrong with it. The most important thing is the warranty as you said and also, the fact that it is documented. I don't know what the practice is of all GM dealers, but the one that I go to, need to report it to GM for there records, which in turn, will help the customer (meaning me) if I would need to go the lemon :lemon: route.
    I say the Z71 is definitely worth it because you get standard traction control and limited slip differential. It would be hard to find this very beneficial option on a Z85. It will make driving in the rain and snow a much less hairy experience without the added weight of 4 wheel drive, particularly when you try to start on an uphill slick surface. You will also have a much lower chance of getting stuck in dirt and mud. I live on a dirt road and have a dirt/pebble driveway that slants down towards the house. My right rear tire has formed a nice hole from loosing traction everytime I try to back up. The limited slip diff and traction control is one option I really wish my truck had.

The stiffer shocks on the Z71 could also be a plus for those who like slightly sportier handling and a firmer ride.
This discussion has been closed.