Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• evile1evile1 Posts: 10
    You are correct gmiller1977! The thing is, is that I only get a 3 year, 36k warranty on the truck. I have used my warranty, so much in fact, that they all know me by name at the dealership, and enterprise rentals!! It is sad that I have had to take it in for continuous problems over the past 11 months. Not to mention how much of a hassle it is to take it in and all. My warranty is almost half over, and it scares me what will happen once it expires. I did not buy the extended warranty, but that's ok because once my factory warranty expires, I will trade the lemon in and buy a Toyota or Nissan.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    The dealer always pushes the 3,000 mile change because that is lucrative for them. With today's engines and oil, 5,000 is a good marker for changing the oil. In Consumer Reports a couple of years ago, they did a study on the wear of the engine changing every three versus every five. There was very little difference.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Well, I have just encountered the first problem with my 05 4 cyl ext cab and its a strange one. I can't quite describe the entire problem because it happened in the hands of the other half. But here is what was described to me. When you turn on the left blinker, both of the interior turn signal indicators were flashing, as if the emergency flasher was on and there was no tick-tock noise. When you turn on the right blinker, it operates normally. Then, when you press the brake pedal, there was a single tocking sound and the right turn indicator glowed slightly. This happened all the way to work in the morning and then part of the way home. It suddenly stopped acting up while driving. What the hell is going on with my truck? I've heard of funky electrical problems but this is just spooky! Anyone else experience anything like this? Now that it's working normally, there is no way I can get it looked at. Is there a body control computer that runs the turn signals like in the Malibu?
  • kevinhkevinh Posts: 1
    I am attempting to find some info on the I5 GM engine and am having no luck on the web. I want some of the more detailed information such as rod/stroke ratio and deck height. I need this to build a computer model in Pro/E for an idea I am working on. Some other info I need is the spacing dimensions of the cylinder bores and cylinder head bolts along with specs on the timing chain and its distance from the first cylinder. Also I am curious if the cylinders are sleeved with cast iron and if they are able to replace them and what does the block weight when stripped down?

I know I am asking alot but if someone knows where I can find this detailed information even if I have to purchase it I would appreciate the help. The very most important thing for me to get going at this time is the deck height and cylinder bore spacing. I don't care if the info comes from the 4 or 6 either, the dimensions should be identical beings it is a modular design. Please correct me if I am wrong,Thank You

Kevin
  • Well, I have just encountered the first problem with my 05 4 cyl ext cab and its a strange one. I can't quite describe the entire problem because it happened in the hands of the other half. But here is what was described to me. When you turn on the left blinker, both of the interior turn signal indicators were flashing, as if the emergency flasher was on and there was no tick-tock noise. When you turn on the right blinker, it operates normally. Then, when you press the brake pedal, there was a single tocking sound and the right turn indicator glowed slightly. This happened all the way to work in the morning and then part of the way home. It suddenly stopped acting up while driving. What the hell is going on with my truck? I've heard of funky electrical problems but this is just spooky! Anyone else experience anything like this? Now that it's working normally, there is no way I can get it looked at. Is there a body control computer that runs the turn signals like in the Malibu?

Yes, there is a BCM on the Colorado similar to the Malibu.

To be honest, your problem doesn't seem all that wierd to me. My business partner has a Saturn ION which also has a BCM. There is a firmware bug in the BCM on the 04 ION that causes similar things to happen. It starts when someone plugs in a cell phone charger. The computer sees the drain as surge and turns off features that cause VERY strange things to happen.

After the 5th time that the weirdness occurred, he finally called Saturn and they told him to put the key in the ignition, and switch it between off and accessories (not start) *quicikly* a dozen times or so. This causes a reset to the BCM and makes everything work properly again.

I'm willing to bet that have encountered something similar on your truck. If you had a severe electrical problem, things wouldn't work properly period... it wouldn't fix itself.

Let us know how it pans out for you.
    Interesting. I was beginning to wonder if maybe the trailer wiring harness that Uhaul installed may be the cause of my problem and now suspect it even further after your remarks. The wiring harness was installed 4 months ago but maybe a wire has come loose and is crossing paths with other wires causing a drain that is confusing the BCM. I did take it to my Chevy dealer just to inquire if the problem was known and he suggested the wiring harness may be the problem. I'll probably take it down to Uhaul and have them look at it to make sure its still hooked up properly. I'll be relieved if it is their harness caising the problem because that means my truck is still completely trouble free after 5400 miles.

The Chevy dealer did mention that a wiring harness is normally already present above the spare tire and you just have to pull it back. Is this true?
  • ghislainghislain Posts: 34
    Hi:
    I have a 2003 Silverado which did exactly what you describea bout 1 1/2 year ago. The problem would occur every now and then at first then it eventually happened quite frequently. I took it in to the dealer here in Ottawa and they replaced a faulty relay. Problem never re-occured.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the info!
  • The Chevy dealer did mention that a wiring harness is normally already present above the spare tire and you just have to pull it back. Is this true?

I can't answer this question for SURE as I had the factory installed towing package put in... however, on every other vehcile that I've ever owned, wiring for optional areas (speakers, etc) has ALWAYS been there. For the cost of the wiring versus the cost of deciding which vehicles that are to receive it against those who aren't doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just cheaper to put the wiring in.

I'm sure that the harness is there on a new 'rado and I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for what happened to yours.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Posts: 111
    Hey, what happened to all of the info. swapping about Colorados. Has everyones truck suddenly been fixed? I`m still happy with mine one year later. It does everything I ask it to do. I`m going to put a K&N filter on it when it`s time to change, maybe that will help the power alittle. :P
  • pagefirstpagefirst Posts: 1
    The info you need is available on gmpowertrain.com.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    Good luck with the power. I like the truck but it is one sluggish 4 cylinder. My Honda would run all over it. I am happy with the truck though and I am glad I have the 4 cylinder with the current price of gasoline.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    don't you think the Honda is a whole lot lighter than the TRUCK. I bet the Honda is at least 500lbs lighter or even a thousand if the truck is a 4X4
  • Hey, what happened to all of the info. swapping about Colorados. Has everyones truck suddenly been fixed? I`m still happy with mine one year later. It does everything I ask it to do. I`m going to put a K&N filter on it when it`s time to change, maybe that will help the power alittle.

Hehe, yeah, it has been pretty quiet around here. I'm STILL waiting for my OLM to go off. I'm up to 10600km now (not bad for less than 3 months of driving hehe). Oil is still pretty clean. I'm going to let it go the first time - I want to see how far it will really go. Then I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 (full synth).

I had a K&N filter in my Corolla... it helped a bit. My Tercel had one too.... that made a HUGE difference. I'm pleased with the power of my i4 though... not sure why everyone else doesn't think it's peppy.

I also found some interesting information on the OLM and how it works. From some website called "Bob the Oil Guy" :) I can post it here (it's pretty big) if anyone is interested.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Any comments on this combo would be much appreciated since I'm not that knowledgeable about suspensions, etc. I guess I'm thinking (?) along the lines of is the Z71 suspension "wasted" on a 2WD vehicle and is there much point to it without 4WD. Oh yeah...I've been looking at one and the price is right. Love the chrome side steps.
  • Any comments on this combo would be much appreciated since I'm not that knowledgeable about suspensions, etc. I guess I'm thinking (?) along the lines of is the Z71 suspension "wasted" on a 2WD vehicle and is there much point to it without 4WD. Oh yeah...I've been looking at one and the price is right. Love the chrome side steps.

Hmm... suspension questions are hard to answer because it's more of a personal preference to the individual driver.

I have the Z85 suspension on my 'rado. I love it. I like stiffer firmer suspensions. The ride isn't like a car... but that's fine to me, I wanted a truck. My understanding is that the maintenance is somewhat lower on the Z85 which is a "no frills" suspension.

See if you can drive both a Z85 and Z71... see what you prefer more.

Now, as for 4WD.... *personally* I have no use for it. If you are driving into sand, or gravel pits, then yeah, it makes sense. What kind of driving do you plan on doing to justify the 4WD purchase? Remember, adding 4WD adds weight and uses extra gas regardless of whether or not it's engaged.
  • ronhextallronhextall Posts: 37
    I will be in the need for a new vehicle in the near future and have maxed out my old school GM card for $3,500 off so a GM product would be nice. My problem is the Colorado has no engine and it isn't like the MPG is that much better to justify it. The Nissan Frontier can be had with a 265HP 6 cylinder at a decent price. If Colorado sales are soft some of the blame has to go towards this engine, it is just not going to inspire me to drop 25 grand for a crew cab 4x4.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Thanks for the response. I prefer the ride of the Z85 very slightly, but the best deal available with a reasonable option package where I am is on a Z71 2WD. Like you, I don't have much need for 4WD and don't do any serious offroading. However, since the Z71 package is somewhat more expensive. I was wondering if there was much value to it without 4WD and in relativiely "light" driving.
  • kmeleonkmeleon Posts: 1
    I agree with you. The only people that you are going to see posting on here are the people that have a problem. I just purchased a 05 Colorado Z71 Ext. Cab and I love it. I too have had it back to the dealership. Maybe I am fortunate to have the dealer that I have because they give me a loaner during the time they have my vehicle. It has been there four times now and it is because of this horrible vibration that I have on the right front driver side. I have no idea what it is and they don't either. However, they try different things each time I take it in. I have read much about people's concerns about the American General tires. I have suggested that to the dealership and they are taking that into consideration. They are planning to replace them today along with the balljoint and torsion bar. I hope that this is it. But if it isn't....it isn't the end of the world. I know that the dealer is working on it and it isn't like they are just blowing smoke up my [non-permissible content removed]. They are truly trying to figure out what is wrong with it. The most important thing is the warranty as you said and also, the fact that it is documented. I don't know what the practice is of all GM dealers, but the one that I go to, need to report it to GM for there records, which in turn, will help the customer (meaning me) if I would need to go the lemon :lemon: route.
    I say the Z71 is definitely worth it because you get standard traction control and limited slip differential. It would be hard to find this very beneficial option on a Z85. It will make driving in the rain and snow a much less hairy experience without the added weight of 4 wheel drive, particularly when you try to start on an uphill slick surface. You will also have a much lower chance of getting stuck in dirt and mud. I live on a dirt road and have a dirt/pebble driveway that slants down towards the house. My right rear tire has formed a nice hole from loosing traction everytime I try to back up. The limited slip diff and traction control is one option I really wish my truck had.

The stiffer shocks on the Z71 could also be a plus for those who like slightly sportier handling and a firmer ride.
This discussion has been closed.