Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• ffmcobaltffmcobalt Posts: 20
    Get realistic. This isn't a full size truck. This is a midsize. The full size trucks have the V8's with the Duramax available. There simply has to be distinction between the full size and the midsize. If the midsized truck came with the largest size gasoline engine available, why on earth would many people buy a full size truck? It's hugely more expensive for not much more truck. There needs to be very difinitive lines between the two classes.

The Colorado will come available with an I4 and an I5 engine. The Vortec 2800 I4 (2.8L) will provide ~175HP. The Vortec 3500 I5 (3.5L) will provide ~200HP.

The truck isn't meant to replace the full size trucks. It's meant to do just what it's going to: be a midsize truck. The I5 is supposed to be either stronger or outperform any V6 in it's class, too. Just wait until it is available for review from Edmunds, or test drive for yourself. :-)
  • samstormsamstorm Posts: 1
    Does anyone know?
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    Thats what I'm hearing, AUG/SEP don't expect any, 0% or 3k cash back until at least spring 04!!
    The Chevrolet Colorado goes in to production on October 8th in Shreveport. Typically it takes 2-2.5 months to hit dealership lots.
  • ghislainghislain Posts: 34
    Just been on the GM Web sites and decided to compare the Specs for the
    Colorado vs the S10. This sure was a downer; I was very excited about
    this MIDSIZE truck; but now I would really like someone with GM
    connections to explain where the MIDSIZE designation comes from

Here is what I found comparing the Crew Cab versions:
    Colorado Width 67.6 S10 is 67.9
                 height 67.9 S10 is 63.4
                 Headroom F/R 39.3/37.1 S10 39.6/38.2
                 Legroom F/R 42.2/34.4 S10 42.4/34.6
                 Shoulder F/R 57.1/57.1 S10 57.1/57.2
    And here is the kicker
     The Maximum Towing Capacity of the Colorado is 4000 lb.. vs 5200 lb.
    for the S10.
      I sure feel like someone has rained on my parade and I sure hope that
    the MSRP will be in line with these specs.

GM engineers must be great at optical illusionism to make this truck
    appear a lot bigger than it really is.
    The only consolation is that the cargo box of the Colorado is approx. 5
    inches longer.
  • Check out what I wote in post's 22 and 25. It's global platform sharing and bigger isn't better overseas (personal experience talking). That is why GMC markets the current Sonoma as a "midsize" now.

As for a Colorado/Canyon SUV, C&D had a spy photo of a Hummer H3 mule which is based on the GMT 355 (Colorado/Canyon) chassis. Expect a 30K pricetag though when it goes on sale!
  • cp4hcp4h Posts: 18
    Does anybody know if the new truck can comfortable accomodate a family of four ? (not in a pinch)
    Yes, there will be a crew cab option that should easily be able to seat a family of four, unless you're norwegian or something like my roommate. :)

My roommate is a mammoth. He's 6'7" and weighs 330. I'm not the skinniest kid on the block either, but he can pick me up with one arm.

... he drives what we call Das Boot because that's the only thing he can fit in.
    Expect 2004's in showrooms around end of SEPT.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    a 265/75-15" is essentially the same as a 31x10.50-15". so it's no big deal to replace them. they're probably the cheapest tires around. when you get up to 16" and 17" tires, you lose sidewall rubber and gain mega $ on price.
    older rangers used 265/75-15" tires. they're not that scarce. why they don't use ZR2 31" tires is beyond me. only the engineers know.
  • Since GM decided to name their new mid-size pickup truck, Chevrolet Colorado, will it distracts some state of Colorado buyers because of the name? I think the Colorado isn't a good model name that GM created.

Walter Chan
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Posts: 59
    I really like the whole Chevy Colorado thing! It looks like the rear seat area on the 4-door models will be bigger than the S10 and that is nice. There will be a lot of combinations to choose from and that is nice. I love the idea of relatively small and high-tech engines! Performance and Fuel Economy can and should co-exist. This is why I would like to request that Colorado come with a 4 or 6 cylinder diesel engine in 2006 or 2007! Chevrolet, you have to take this request seriously! There will be low sulfur Diesel fuel available (starting in 2006). This way you can have excellent performance, excellent fuel economy, and much cleaner emissions! Anyway, I am very excited about this truck. I am waiting for them to show up in the show room.

2fastdre.
  • If they both come form the same factory in Indiana, would there be any advantage to buying the GMC version?
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    will be built in Shreveport, Louisiana. And no, there will not be significant differences between them.
  • I received the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado brochure today in the mail. Pretty interesting to see that the artwork in this brochure is related to guys style.

Walter Chan
  • boikoboiko Posts: 82
    Other then cosmetic differences, are there any other significant reasons to buy one over the other...?

Thanks,
    -mike-
  • jauto98jauto98 Posts: 77
    If you want the sport suspension (lower ride height, 17in wheels, monochromatic paint job), you will have to get the Colorado as the Canyon does not offer it. Other than that, no real siginificant differences that I can think of.
    Guys these things are gonna be hotter than grease, the after market is gonna love these vehicles!!! WOW GM finally got it correct with these two!!
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    What is the point of offering a GMC version if the Chevy version has the same if not MORE options? GMC seems to have lost its way once Cadillac entered the SUV market, with the Yukon Denali priced just a few thousand than an Escalade (at MSRP, anyway). It just makes me question the existence of GMC more. If GM dropped GMC and just offered higher-priced Chevy's, wouldn't the new combined Silverado outsell the F-150? It seems Ford has done pretty well without a luxury truck brand, so I think that GM can do the same. It seems like an easy process: drop GMC, stop offering huge rebates, make MSRP closer to retail, upgrade interior materials, and voilà! The perfect competitor to the F-150 and Tundras of the world (not to mention the Titan). My worry is that GMC will turn into something like Mercury, where they just rebadge something ("Professional Grade Engineering") and attempt to sell it for thousands more. GMC does not have that kind of name recognition, and I think GM would be doing itself a favor by killing GMC.
This discussion has been closed.