Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Owners: Future Models

Comments

• The authenticity of 5-door photo has been confirmed by top Mazda Executives who have seen the car (a little bird told me). That's makes me very happy, because I think the car looks stunning. Very upscale, I agree.

My first reaction was that it had a very Alfa 146 look to it, which I think is a good thing.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I can't seem to find it.
    from the side, it looks right, but I think the front has changed a bit.
  • Hi, I am hungarian, I visited this site, but this is a pixelized mazda6, not? This is Mazda Mirai's site (a dealer), not a commercial Mazda homepage.

SzaboZE
  • I have a picture from Mazda3. (?)

• ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    And I didn't realize the Hungarian and Indian flags were so similar!
  • I really prefer that my cars have bumpers of some sort (and I'm sure my insurance company prefers that also)!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,324
    Nose is too much like a bullet-train's.

And the rear-ward visibility looks compromised by that D-pillar and downward-sloping top line of the windows.
    does a bumper need to be clearly defined to exist?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    is just one of MANY photoshopped "possible" images of the next gen Protege/Mazda3....

what it's really gonna look like, probably Mr. Maltb is the only one that knows ;)
  • ashutoshsm : :), same (italian e.t.c) flag similar too :)

SzaboZE
  • One of many pictures? I'd love you to post some others or links to them. I've been scouring the net looking for possible pics of the next gen protege and there's nothing out there.

From what I've been told that photo above is either acurrate or close to acurrate and that's from high ranking mazda execs in Canada who have already seen the car.

Given the fact that the Mazda3 hits showroom next September-October, I'm very suprised by the lack of info or even discussion of the next model. My guess is that we'll see it in the flesh at the Tokyo motor show. Can't wait.
  • Please, can you tell us anything??!! Please, Please, Please. What about the sedan. Did anybody sneak any pictures? :)
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Went to a focus group event this evening, where they wanted to get our opinions of two cars, a hatch and a wagon vs. a group of other similiar sedans and wagons. Mazda did a really nice job, especially on the interior! The only problem I have is that the stereo is built into the center console and not a separate unit. The bucket seats are really nice, racing type, with lots of bolstering and support!

In person, the front doesn't look so bloated.
  • When do the rest of us get to see it?
  • "2003 Mazda Protege Compact Sedan" actually uses the same photos that the following site uses and calls the "2002 MazdaSpeed Protege (Turbo)"

HERE

This site also has that photo, previously referred to in this discussion as a hatchback, which they label as the " 2003 Mazda Protege".

I find it difficult to believe that Mazda would come out with a 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege looking like these photos (very little difference from the 2002 Protege), and then immediately follow with a radically different look in a 2003 standard Protege sedan (Mazda3?, I hate that name) !!

Am I missing something here?
    Nice design though. Looked more substantial than the current Protege.
  • Come on pal, you gotta give us a more thorough review of what you saw then that!!

Details, details!!!

Especially the sedan.
  • Come on you have to spill the beans!
    The front sort of reminded me of a combo of the new Camry with some of the IS300 and Audi A4 in there. It is a more fluid design than either. It is smaller than the IS300, but has muscular lines none-the-less. The rear is higher than on previous Proteges (now called a Mazda 3). There is a clear (with a red tint) lense over the rear signal lights. The backup lights are each a big circle that are now mounted on the trunk lid

The front has headlights that were three receding silver circles and a clear lense (sort of like the Camry, except the lights are all the same size). Of course the signature grill was there.

The nose and bottom look a little like the Dodge Avenger on the sport model, and more like the Camry on the standard model.

The Wagon looks very similiar to the picture, except that the nose is more curved, and the fog lights are round. The side profile reminds me a little of a sleeker Pontiac Vibe. They had a Toyota Matrix there. The Toyota looked higher and bulkier than the Mazda wagon. The Mazda wagon also had a little bit of a point in the rear on the trunk lid (a shallow angle).

On the side view, the back seemed a little stubby (it is a compact). The rear seats were a little cramped.

The interior is really nice, even though I really did not care for the center console much. On the sport model, it is mainly charcole with sport bucket seats with plenty of bolsters (even a middle one in the front of the seat cushion!). The color scheme of the sport seats reminded me of my WRX seats. There was less bolstering on these seats than my WRX. The shifter had a nice feel even if it seemed a little vague. The trim did use plenty of aluminum colored trim. The dash was interesting. Looked like it was dials, but LCD hands! The dash was very well covered from sun, so I assume this will not be a problem. It was off so I could not tell for sure.

On the standard model, it was very well done! The color was the same color as the exterior, but looked sharp with the top of the dash being a different color than the bottom, sort of like on luxury vehicles (without the wood trim). I assume you will have the option of wood trim. The fabrics seemed to be of good quality.

The spoiler on the sports model of the sedan was sort of cheesy. It looked nice, but was just a piece of plastic covering the corner of the trunk lid. Was like the spoilers on Dodges and Chryslers.

The center console was not bad. It was charcole plastic with orange trim on the dials. It looked a little cheap, but better than many of the other cars we looked at (Civic, the Mitsu, Volkswagon Pasat and Golf). Also the stereo was part of the center console, not a separate unit fitted into the console. I really did not like that.

All in all, it looked like a significant improvement in shape and style to the older model, which in itself is very nice. Hey, if they come out with a Mazdaspeed version of it, I might think about it!
    The front on the wagon above does not do it justice. The headlights are the same though.
  • What does, " Looked like it was dials, but LCD hands!" mean?
  • If the dash looks a little cheap (which i doubt mazda would do) how does it look better then the Passat? I am sure it is better then the WRX. This sounds like it will blow the competition sky high. Go Mazda!
  • I hope it won't be long before more pictures and specs are released. Think Mazda's new 2.3l will power the ES version? Almost makes me want to hold out on the Mazda 6... almost.
  • http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=258

I think that is a photoshop'd image, but that's more like what I would expect the Mazda 3 to look like, and does fit the description you posted.

Front - very similiar, but round fog lights, plastic bar going across bottom front air intake, middle of the hood is slightly raised (sort of like the PT Cruiser, but not as high, and wider).

Back - Single exhaust, Back up lights are separated from the signal and brake lights (they are now integrated into the trunk lid). The two lights on each side (signal and brake) are same color with a reddish tint lense covering. Also, there is a black plastic piece on the bottom, like the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, and I believe the Audis. Spoiler is just an angled piece of plastic over rear corner of trunk lid, not a raised bar.

Hope this helps.
    I was basing the comparison to the Mazda6, sorry.

It does have the muscular buldges in the back. The sedan is more upright, but similiar profile to the orange one shown. No silver bar on top of grill. Rear does not curve inward. plastic bar going across the bottom air intake, with two small, round fog lights.
This discussion has been closed.