Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Owners: Future Models

13»

Comments

• Wow thank you so much for all the information! We wouldn't know anything about it without you. Is Mazda telling you anything else about the car like when the rest of us will get to see it? Lol, just a thought...does Mazda pat you down for cameras or anything? If they don't have you thought of sneaking a picture of the 3 for us Mazda junkies? The front sounds like it looks like the RX-8's. Thanks again!

P.S.- Do you mean that the speedo and tach have computerized hands? Sounds very cool.
    ·
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I would say that the rear of the sedan looks much more like RX-8 than the front. The front looks a little like it was a tastefull shape taken from Toyota. Overall, the car looks like a mini 6, IMO.
    ·
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    Sounds better than that picture of the 5-door miniwagon makes it look.
    ·
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    "P.S.- Do you mean that the speedo and tach have computerized hands? Sounds very cool."

- Both were. I do not know if the hands are LCD or it lights up like the Accord. They never powered the car up when I sat in it. It could also be just for the prototype.

maltb is right about the styling, it does look similiar to a mini6. There are a few minor tweaks though. Nice car.

The pictured miniwagon is similar but too rough compared to the one I saw. The picture looked like an early prototype. The one I saw looked more sleek and muscular, with fender flairs in the back.
    ·
  • Click here to see an actual Mazda 3

http://www.facm.net/eng/col_30.htm

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

·
  • do you know anything about the insides of the car, like what engines Mazda plans to use? Inside bigger than now, or did they keep it the same? Anything else of note?
    ·
    Rear seats are cramped. Sort of like my WRX. I think the interior is similar in size to the current model. The car might be slightly wider though.

If anyone has any information on the engine, I would be all ears. For me, the more power the better.
    ·
    Std 2.0, 2.3 in the ES
    ·
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Very funny. HA HA HA! NOT! :)

Engine should be the 2.3 in the 6 IMO or a revised 2.0.

Dinu
    ·
  • Thanks for all the information guys... but when do the rest of us get to see it!? :) I hope the front doesn't look too much like a Toyota (which I don't think it will).
    ·
  • will it be the 2.0 that is in the Euro "6" or a new one? Cause, that 2.0 over there is already brand new.
    ·
  • kevin111 & maltb,

Do you know what the suspension will be on the Mazda3? Strut-type like the current Protege or double-wishbone + e-type on the 6?

And when's this car coming out anyways, an '04 or '05 model?

Thanks guys for the info so far!
    ·
    I was under the impression that the 3 was going to be an '04 though, at least that is what Motor Trend said on their website for future cars.

- Suspension, I do not know.
    ·
  • That supports my understanding. The Mazda3 is slated to arrive in showrooms late next fall as a 2004 model, but you never know. Same thing could happen to it as the Mazda6 with the introduction being pushed early into the new year as a 2005 model designation.
    ·
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    before we move onto the Mazda3, look at this:

http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb222/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9263

·
    Same power and upgrades. I think the wheels are slightly different though.
    ·
    Sounds like a way to get a few more turbos sold and pay for the R&D.
    ·
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I think someone with a dealer as a dad already speculated that the next MS would be basically the 03 MS Pro with different do-dads for looks. I guess this confirms.
    ·
  • my dealer said that i can expect mine on possibly nov 22nd. whats up with that. has any body herd diff?
    ·
  • Oh Mazda3! Where are you? When will we get to see you??
    ·
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    When I went to the Browns Fairfax dealership (most or all their MSP's are sold, and they're waiting too) - I asked them.

They expect it over the next couple of weeks, because the installation of the turbo, audio etc at the port (Seattle?) has been excruciatingly slow, apprently.
    ·
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,310
    Just a couple of shopping days left until Christmas... avoid the holiday crush and join us for an evening of automotive chat and good cheer!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

·
13»
This discussion has been closed.
Mazda Protege Owners: Future Models - Page 3 - Car Forums at Edmunds.com