Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma vs Ford Ranger - II

Comments

• Options
    sredman1sredman1 Member Posts: 66
    any body else notice that the ranger they used in the 4weeler mag truck of the year is but a Ranger XL regular cab. NO Offroad group. only 15"wheels p235x75r15 tires.. ..
    so basically a bottom of the bucket ranger against the top of the line TACOMA.... gee i wonder why the tacoma performed better..
  • Options
    any body else notice that the ranger they used in the 4weeler mag truck of the year is but a Ranger XL regular cab. NO Offroad group. only 15"wheels p235x75r15 tires.. ..
    so basically a bottom of the bucket ranger against the top of the line TACOMA.... gee i wonder why the tacoma performed better..
  • Options
    benz88benz88 Member Posts: 42
    Good that no harm was done. Wasn't there but I think that a slow speed and chains on the back wheels would have gotten you over. I don't think brute force up an icy steep slope is the safest way. Does anyone use chains or just me?
  • Options
    mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    sredman1

If you check out the site:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/specs.html

You will see under the "Options as Tested" category that the Ranger was equipped with the Off-Road package. This option is described bellow from Edmunds.

"91R Off-Road Package (XLT 4WD)
    Includes bulge body shocks, styled manual mirrors and off-road Decal. NOT AVAILABLE with 95P, XF6, XR6, X87."

The Ranger does not offer 31X10.5 tires as an option. As you can see, besides the different shocks, the Ranger's off road package is less then impressive. Some sleek styled mirrors and off road decals can do wonders on the trail though. This is the exact point that is being debated here. They cant test the truck with options that dont exist. If they did it would be a completely useless competitiion.
  • Options
    sredman1

You will see under the "Options as Tested" category that the Ranger was equipped with the Off-Road package. This option is described bellow from Edmunds.

Includes bulge body shocks, styled manual mirrors and off-road Decal. NOT AVAILABLE with 95P, XF6, XR6, X87."

The Ranger does not offer 31X10.5 tires as an option. As you can see, besides the different shocks, the Ranger's off road package is less then impressive. Some sleek styled mirrors and off road decals can do wonders on the trail though. This is the exact point that is being debated here. They cant test the truck with options that dont exist. If they did it would be a completely useless competitiion.
  • Options
    sredman1

• Options
    Sorry for the double post, not sure what happened there
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    And dont forget the Ranger was a regular cab, which should have given it the advantage in offroading AND 0-60 times.
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    If that Ranger was equiped with the offroad package why did they not list that it had 4.10 gears as that is part of the offroad package.
    The article lists the vehicle as having 3.73 gears.
    If I had to bet, I would bet it did not have the off road package.

A disadvantage on the 0-60 time is a lower hp 3.0L engine compared to a higher hp 3.4 engine.

Did I mention yet that the Ranger got;

***** Rating on national TV while the Tacoma got

?
  • Options
    but the truck they SHOW IS an XL w/out the offroad package. you can just look at the grill and tell it is an XL and the offoad package is not available on the XL AND those are not the 16"rims that come on the offroad package... just noticing tho...
  • Options
    its kinda interesting how it says the offroad package is included but the spec sheets include none of the equipment...
  • Options
    Will you answer my question? Have you been to the
    Rio Grande national forest west of Alamosa near Del NOrte? If so, have you been to the La Garita wilderness area? I may be interested in a parcel out there. Im familiar with the area west of the divide, but not this area.

"A disadvantage on the 0-60 time is a lower hp 3.0L
    engine compared to a higher hp 3.4 engine."

The engine tested was the 4.0 liter v6 cspounser.
  • Options
    parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    Do you have the tranny cooler and power steering cooler? If the yoda rear end is 8 inch and the ford is 8.8 inch, how do figure the yoda's is bigger? Please explain the "denser metal" theory you posted.

I stated my Ranger is 1620 payload and 5000lb tow capacity. What is your Tacoma's rating?

Like I've said, Spoog and others should go ahead and believe the tests results they want, but on national TV and in Consumers Digest buyers guide (which use two different tests) the tacoma got 2 stars on front impact tests for both the passenger and driver. One star for side impact.

It is an issue you should consider.

cpousnr, Yes, I have the auto tranny. I feel like it robs the acceleration, but a few weeks back I had a 1.5 ton load. The motor and tranny didn't really act like it was back there. I was real impressed. My old 1990 Ranger seemed faster 0-60, but it also seemed to struggle more than my 1999 with loads. Go figure that one. Anyway, I happy since I don't plan to race my new Ranger, but I do plan to load it up.

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    zitasszitass Member Posts: 5
    I stand by what I said.Cpousnr,I don't remember anything I said being vulger,please give me a hint to the offensive part.Since when is the word crap objectionable when speaking of some of the cars put out by the Big Three.Like I stated,you couldn't get the narrow minded persons back then to admit they were driving junk,why should I believe them now?I enjoy this site and hope the folks here are not to thin skinned,although I see the Gods who run this site have deleated my eloquent post.
  • Options
    "I stated my Ranger is 1620 payload and 5000lb tow
    capacity. What is your Tacoma's rating?"

According to 4wheelr, those Ranger stats are wrong. Please tell me where you got those stats from. IF YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO READ THE LINKS YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT THE TACOMAS RATING IS.
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???? ARE YOU OKAY?????

Geeez are you a total idiot or what? We post these links OVER AnD OVER AND OVER AND OVER AMD OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER .

If you can't keep up with a board that provides pertinent information, please go back to the hillbilly farm truck boards. HEre ya go:

• Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    After reading the posts about the ranger's stats in the fourwheeler article, I took a look at them.

They just didn't look right to me. First, it says that they tested a 5-speed auto, but it lists a 5-speed manual on the drive-train specs. Which one did they test??? Also, a '98 Ranger with the off-road package comes with 16" tires (P245/75R16). Believe me, I know. I've got one sitting in my driveway. This spec sheet lists the Ranger with P235/75R15, a smaller 15" tire. So, what gives? What model, options, tranny, etc... was tested? Also, max payload/towing was incorrect for any of the possible rangers they might have tested.

To spoog: If you really want to know the ranger's towing and payload capacities, you'll need to take a look at a reliable source. Go to www.carpoint.com and look at the technical specifications under the details listing of a 98 (used, you can select the year). It lists the maximum towing capacity of 5,800lbs and a maximum payload of 1,500lbs. The numbers are all there in B&W, check them out for yourself.
  • Options
    i have the ranger Brochure sitting in my lap...

4x4 ranger supercab
    payload package #1 1,260 lbs
    payload package #2 1,520 lbs

if in doubt go to FORD sites... Not any opther sorce..4wheeler mag has thier stats all wrong on that test so that is not an accurate source.. thier oppinions can be taken at face value as OPINION tho..
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Wow, you guys have been busy.
    I just read 44 posts and the battle is quiet good.
    The Fourwheeler site is dead. Too many inconsistencies and a very bad match up to boot. I notice spoog doesn't quote the almost 5K difference in price or the 0-60 times either.
    I also notice the locker is an open axle until engaged. Has a 5mph limit too. Crash test for the Tacoma is an absolute joke for a truck that is supposed to be made so much stronger. Back to this locker. I don't think the Tacoma owner understands what an open axle is or what a real downside there is to this.
    Even I have learned some good facts about the Ranger and Tacoma here in the last 44 posts. I know I have the all around superior compact truck on the market today, the Ford Ranger. Now I just wish Ford would advertise these safety ratings and pound the Tacoma into the sand.
    Ranges rule! Don't dent those pretty Tacoma's now.
    See you in the hills!
  • Options
    "i have the ranger Brochure sitting in my lap...

4x4 ranger supercab
    payload package #1 1,260 lbs
    payload package #2 1,520 lbs

if in doubt go to FORD sites... Not any opther
    sorce..4wheeler mag has thier stats all wrong on
    that test so that is not an accurate source.. thier
    oppinions can be taken at face value as OPINION
    tho..
    "

Somehow I prefer to get the vehicles stats from an independant source rather than a sales brochure lol!!!!!!

Imagine if the government NHSTA site just took the word of Ford and other AUto makers on crash results. lol.
  • Options
    "4x4 ranger supercabpayload package #1 1,260 lbspayload package #2 1,520 lbs"

So how do you guys know whuch payload and towing package you guys have? I mean standard towing is
    2,000 lbs, and maximum optional towing is 5000.
    So how do you know what you have? Im willing to bet Vince has the 1200 lb payload and 2000 lb towing lol!!!!!!
  • Options
    "I don't think the Tacoma ownerunderstands what an open axle is or what a real
    downside there is to this. "

Obviously you don't get it. Whatever the disadvantage, the Tacoma beat the RANGEr IN EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE TEST, and the tested RAnger was a regular cab!!!!! It had a better crawl ratio. So go ahead Vince, lets see you make a fool of yourself like usual.

PLease see this link to look at high quality photos of the Rangers highway tuned suspension lol!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/tech.html

WOW!!!! Look at the heavy duty brakes on the Tacoma! Good deal.
  • Options
    Although the compact Tacoma XtraCab itself is not completely new, the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) suspension and locking rear differential package is. The TRD Off-Road Package offers oversized fender flares, alloy wheels, 31-inch tires, Bilstein shocks, slightly softer spring rates, and an electromechanical, button-actuated rear locking differential, all for $1,690.

Our Surfside Green test unit came with the 3.4-liter, dual-overhead cam, 24-valve engine and five-speed manual transmission. The Tacoma came factory-equipped with the lowest axle gears of the test: 4.10:1. It was this combination of excellent gearing (First gear for the factory five-speed is 3.83:1) that made testers comment about how readily the Tacoma jumped off the line. In fact, during track testing, the Tacoma was substantially faster than the others, both loaded and unloaded (see page 30). Tract ion came courtesy of a more aggressive tread in the 31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler three-stage GSA. We found it supplied surprisingly good cornering power on pavement, with plenty of potential for aired-down trail running.
    As well as the Tacoma performed on the track, it was on the trail where the premium import seemed most comfortable. Best-in-class ground clearance, the most aggressive tread of the bunch, and a crawl ratio of better than 40:1 made the Tacoma everyone' s choice for hill climbs and steep backside descents. Even our resident auto-tranny diehards had to admit that the lively throttle response, sure-grip clutch, and built-to-work gearing meshed together as well as any championship-caliber team. In each perf ormance-related category of our test, the Toyota won.

It's not often that our collection of testers agree on anything (in fact, never), but this year's Pickup Truck of the Year was a unanimous decision. Praises relating to the TRD suspension mentioned its ability to control rutted, seriously choppy terra in better than any other vehicle we'd driven. One tester went so far as to note that during a few moments of an effortless dry-wash run, it seemed the spirit of Ivan Stewart had taken over his body. This is a truck that can go slow or go fast, on pavement or off.

Ultimately, in addition to a strong engine, good tires, and supremely tuned suspension, the clutch defeat switch (the only one in a truck sold in the US.), lever-operated transfer case, and pushbutton locking rear differential were the icing on a toug h-truck cake. Although you have to pay a premium for a premium package, the TRD Tacoma, dollar for dollar, is the best on- and off-highway compact package (maybe of any truck) we've seen. This truck has features the others just don't offer, and they all w ork. And that's why it's our 1998 Pickup Truck of the Year.
  • Options
    Although the compact Tacoma XtraCab itself is not completely new, the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) suspension and locking rear differential package is. The TRD Off-Road Package offers oversized fender flares, alloy wheels, 31-inch tires, Bilstein shocks, slightly softer spring rates, and an electromechanical, button-actuated rear locking differential, all for $1,690.

Our Surfside Green test unit came with the 3.4-liter, dual-overhead cam, 24-valve engine and five-speed manual transmission. The Tacoma came factory-equipped with the lowest axle gears of the test: 4.10:1. It was this combination of excellent gearing (First gear for the factory five-speed is 3.83:1) that made testers comment about how readily the Tacoma jumped off the line. In fact, during track testing, the Tacoma was substantially faster than the others, both loaded and unloaded (see page 30). Tract ion came courtesy of a more aggressive tread in the 31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler three-stage GSA. We found it supplied surprisingly good cornering power on pavement, with plenty of potential for aired-down trail running.
    As well as the Tacoma performed on the track, it was on the trail where the premium import seemed most comfortable. Best-in-class ground clearance, the most aggressive tread of the bunch, and a crawl ratio of better than 40:1 made the Tacoma everyone' s choice for hill climbs and steep backside descents. Even our resident auto-tranny diehards had to admit that the lively throttle response, sure-grip clutch, and built-to-work gearing meshed together as well as any championship-caliber team. In each perf ormance-related category of our test, the Toyota won.

It's not often that our collection of testers agree on anything (in fact, never), but this year's Pickup Truck of the Year was a unanimous decision. Praises relating to the TRD suspension mentioned its ability to control rutted, seriously choppy terra in better than any other vehicle we'd driven. One tester went so far as to note that during a few moments of an effortless dry-wash run, it seemed the spirit of Ivan Stewart had taken over his body. This is a truck that can go slow or go fast, on pavement or off.

Ultimately, in addition to a strong engine, good tires, and supremely tuned suspension, the clutch defeat switch (the only one in a truck sold in the US.), lever-operated transfer case, and pushbutton locking rear differential were the icing on a toug h-truck cake. Although you have to pay a premium for a premium package, the TRD Tacoma, dollar for dollar, is the best on- and off-highway compact package (maybe of any truck) we've seen. This truck has features the others just don't offer, and they all w ork. And that's why it's our 1998 Pickup Truck of the Year.
  • Options
    Following in the footsteps of its close relative, the '98 Ranger adopted many of the mechanical modifications incorporated into the Explorer two years earlier. Among the biggest changes include an entirely new double A-arm front suspension with light-duty torsion bars. The new IFS, combined with an all-new rack-and-pinion steering setup (which offers its own steering fluid cooler), won high praises from our testers over our 800-mile test. Specifically, the Ranger scor ed well in Highway Performance categories that centered around maneuverability and long-distance cruising. Testers noted the new steering proved especially quick to react in tight-chicane situations. No doubt about it: This new Ranger out-handles, out-ste ers and out-corners any Ranger before. By a mile.

We would characterize the drivetrain, specifically the transmission, as biased for highway performance as well. All 4.0-liter Rangers (and Mazdas, for that matter) ordered without the manual tranny get the first five-speed automatic transmission offer ed for any pickup. Our testers split over the need and/or usefulness of a mileage-biased transmission geared for empty-load flatland running. Those in favor noted the nearly seamless transitions from one gear to the next, and how the transmission itself c ould, if the vehicle was driven right--no jackrabbit leadfoot starts--tack on another 50,000 miles of life to the engine.

On the trail, we found the automatic transmission to be a double-edged sword. The smoothness of the First-to-Second shift, combined with the inherent low-end grunt of the engine, was almost enough to overcome the taller gearing. And in the end, voting followed individual preferences for manuals versus automatics. Two testers noted both the manual transmissions (Mazda and Toyota) felt more "in control" on the twisty low-range trails of Truckhaven, where face-down compression braking was very helpful o n steep-trail crawling. In low-range, our automatic Ranger offered a rather delicate 22.8:1 crawl ratio (First x axle gear x low-range); the Mazda and Toyota offered 34.4:1 and 40.4:1 gearing, respectively.

Likewise, where the stiffened front suspension cleanly handled all paved-road obstacles thrown in its path, the Ford IFS had trouble keeping up with the broken terrain of dry washes, hill climbs, and washboards. Admittedly, it is a rare vehicle that c an manage all the extremes with equal aplomb, but several testers commented that the Ford liked to spring a little bit quicker (and hop higher) off the rolling whoop-de-doos. For the most part, we found the sacrificed off-highway capability to be greater than the gained on-highway performance, and for that reason it didn't score well in the parts of our test that are most heavily-weighted; however, that isn't to say testers weren't squabbling among themselves to get into the Ranger for the highway drives up the mountain.

Finally, testers showed their traditional colors by not favoring the dash-mounted rotary dial ("looks a lot like an A/C control--and no Neutral") of the Borg-Warner 44-05 electronic transfer case. The 44-05 never gave us a lick of trouble--we submerge d the gearboxes under freezing water, as well as subjecting them to high-heat, dust-blasted wash runs--and by going to a dial, floor space opens up, but our scorers' preference is for a lever-actuated system, or anything with a Neutral position, regardles s of the floor space it takes up.

Like any good four wheeler, we found the Ford Ranger could do several things quite well, scoring highly in On-Road Ride and Handling and Interior Comfort. To us, the new Ranger is a nice-looking, comfortable truck that is easy to drive and easy to own . And it's made in plants with a reputation for quality. But the Pickup Truck of the Year has to do it all pretty damn well, and it has to be great off-highway. And so we introduce our 1998 winner.
  • Options
    WINNER: TOYOTA TACOMA TRD

Copyright © 1999 Petersen Publi
  • Options
    "Inlow-range, our automatic Ranger offered a rather
    delicate 22.8:1 crawl ratio (First x axle gear x
    low-range); the Mazda and Toyota offered 34.4:1 and
    40.4:1 gearing, respectively. "

Wow! That is SERIOUSLY as bad as a car!! No wonder the Tacoma spanks the Ranger offroad!
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Side impact crashes kill almost 10000 people a year, personally, I would rather be in the Ranger built like a sherman tank than a truck made out of aluminumn foil.
  • Options
    tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    You sound like a broken record. If I see that article quoted one more time, I will scream. Brand loyalty is one thing, being so fanatically biased is another. I think I speak for all Toyota owners when I say "chill out, you're giving us a bad name." Face it, the Ranger is a great truck. I personally feel the Toyota is better, but not to the point of not recognizing the Rangers strengths.
    To all you Rangerites, not all Taco owners are as anti-Ranger as Spoog. Let us return to some meaningful dialogue.
    What is the scoop with the new Ranger engines I have been hearing about? Will they be available in '2000?
  • Options
    YOU try spenind a few months with Vince and Cspounsner and other folk here on this group.
    I have gone insane dealing with these people.

At first I was cordial and granted the Ranger several nice comments, from the nice interior and how ford has travelled light years in the interior department(LEARN chevy). I said it was a nice truck for the money and for gravel roads.

Yet Vince and CSpouner kept hammering away, trying to make up stories , and using anecdotal evidenve and myths. They claimed the Ranger could haul more, tow more, was better offroad, ect ect. I simply proved them wrong on every account in the performance category. Same thing applies to the Recall and service bulletin issues.
    They claimed the Tacoma was recalled alot, and I simply provided real, factual data in which the Ranger had 290 recalls and repair bulletins and the Tacoma 80.(ten year span)

But vince still doesnt get it, and neither does Cspounser. They still ignore the facts and rely on grocery and mall parking lot reviews.

I dont dislike the Ranger. Its a decent truck for the money. But it isnt a good offroad machine and its mechanical history is spotted with hundreds of recalls. What I do dislike is heresay mongers and myth spreaders who make the ranger out to be something it CLEARLY isnt because Toyota is a Japanese company and Ranger is an American company vehicle.

If you want a decent truck for hauling lumber and such, and want it for aroun 75k miles, and want to get a good price, get the Ranger.

If you want a sports truck and a performance machine, get the Tacoma.

I dont dislike anyone on this forum. I just dislike heresay and myth spreading.
  • Options
    please explain a crawl ratio to me... and how it even applies to a car..

thank you...

no one else answer this i want him to answer it.
  • Options
    who do you think puts out the spec's for towing and payload?? it is ALWAYS the manufacturer.
  • Options
    the only spec that isnt put out by the manufacturer is the crash test ratings...

and i will keep my personel comments to myself out of respect for the other toyota owners who come in..
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I was browsing around and found this site.www.autoshowusa.com/concepts/adrenaln.html
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Tieve,
    I really don't think you should link Vince and Cpousnr in the same category. Cpousnr has substance and class. If you were to have read the post in the past he is the most unbias person here next to Barlitz. The fanatics are Vince and Spoog. Anyway I am off on my vaction to Plymouth, Ma. Anyway they are all pickup trucks targeted towards different markets.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    hindsite you crack me up! You play peacemaker, then warrior, then peacemaker, then warrior. You wait to pounce in and make rude comments about the Ranger also.
    Just took my "Grocery Getter" up into the MT Hood National Forest. For those of you who don't know, this is in the Cascade Range of the Northwest. (Pictures to come soon). The Ranger is every bit as capable as a Tacoma. After this run down the Barlow trail and into some spur roads with rocks up to 2' tall in the path that I had to crawl over, not try to use my ground clearance and go over spoog. Along with some inclines of up to 20-30%. It cemented my confidence in the Ranger. When the Ranger is equipped correctly it can go anywhere a Tacoma can go. The Fourwheeler article spoog continues to quote is extremely inconsistent. Several of us have tried to bring this to his attention. Also the 5K price difference continues to elude spoog, along with the 5mph limit on the locker, along with the crash test, along with the open axle when the locker is not engaged, along with the .6 second difference in 0-60 for those of you who like to race trucks. And he keeps bringin up the NHSTA site but only lists the total numbers. Anyone who reads through these will immediatly see that a small percentage are only applicable, along with some pertaining to certain Ranger build codes.
    Anyone can scroll back and see I have NEVER said the Toyota was a "grocery getter" or an inferior truck. The Tacoma is a good truck. In my opinion
    the TRD option is a joke and a marketing gimmick. Now more so with the 5mph limit, and an open axle when not engaged. In my opinion the Tacoma is pricey for what you get in comparison to a Ranger.
    The new single overhead cam V6 rated at 205hp/240ft/lbs of torque is due arrive sometime in mid 2000. It will first debut in the adrenalin.
    And yes, I am proud to own the safest, best value, compact 4x4 pickup on the road today the Ford Ranger.
  • Options
    "The Tacoma is a good truck. In my opinion
    the TRD option is a joke and a marketing gimmick."

The TRD offroad package is a "gimmick" ? What?
    You get 31 inch tires, a locking diff, bilstein shocks, a larger, higher quality stabilizer bar,
    and an offroad tuned suspension.

Lets look at Fords offroad package:

Sticker.
    SKid plates.
  • Options

Copyright © 1999 Petersen Pu
  • Options
    4wheeler technical data:

Ford's 4.0-liter overhead-valve V-6 gave our Regular Cab Ranger plenty of off-the-line motivation with 168 lb.-ft. of rear-wheel torque at 2500 rpm. Mazda's 3.0-liter/five-speed manual transmission gave the Regular Cab B-truck the slowest 0-60 time, but the best fuel economy of the group. Although the middle-sized V-6 of the group, the Toyota 3.4-liter DOHC 24-valve V-6 pulled all the way through the torque curve like most small-blocks.

The Ford five-lug 8.8-inch rearend comes standard with the 4.0-lite/five-speed auto combo. Leaf springs and 3.73:1 axle gears are rated to carry 1,180 pounds. Mazda's 7.5-inch rearend is standard with the 3.0-liter V-6. Not surprisingly, our ride-quality vastly improved with 12 bags of landscape rock in the compact's bed.
    Toyota's TRD Tacoma comes with the only factory offered rear locking differential on any (full-size or compact) pickup. We found it a huge asset for trail adventures.
    FORD & MAZDA TOYOTA

Ford's new compact frontend uses F-150-style short- and long-arm IFS, with torsion bars. The setup offers big gains on pavement--but not without trail sacrifices.

The new Pulse-Vacuum Hub (PVH) used exclusively on compact Fords and Mazdas allows for true in-cab-controlled shift-on-the-fly capability.

Toyota's double A-arm/coilover frontend handles pavement cornering and trail flex with equal skill. We like the six-lug axles and big-caliper front discs.
  • Options
    the louder you yell doesnt mean more will listen.
    how many times you gonna post that??
    and im still waiting on that crawl ratio answer.
    or do you not know??

and just in case you didnt know the higher torque of the ranger engine allows for a Lower crawl ratio.. my two cents
  • Options
    Why dont you go try the guys in the trd vs. zr2 room.. maybe they will listen to you.. but yourONE article isnt going to phase them in there tho.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Vince

Toyota dropped it's Tacoma MSRP this year. Enough with the 5k thing. You are now stating fiction, not fact...

-wsn
  • Options
    Edmunds changed their HTML and my home computer will not get to the point of allowing me to login.

I have been thru the area you asked about, from Gunnison down thru Lake City to Creede and into Del Norte. Those areas are VERY cold in the winter and the prices were in excess of $4K per acre for land. I would suggest you look in the Creede area or over just into the San Louis valley for better prices. Lake City was REAL expensive due, I think, to the high number of Texans having summer homes there. Plus, in the San Louis area you get to view the mountains to both east and west. When I bought in Westcliffe, my requirement was view/price, my wife's was easy access to the property. Remember, trees/kewl rock formations = higher price.
  • Options
    Well I looked at mine and the XL DOES NOT show an option for off-road, but it can be 4 wheel drive.

So in the test cited, a top of the line Tacoma was pitted against a bottom of the line Ranger. More than likely the small street shocks (hence the "...whoopity doo..." comment, no skid plates, very small tires (low clearance), no 16 inch rims, not geared for 4 wheeling in an other than nominal test, etc. I will not take away from a Tacoma running that track real well but as i stated before, there were many INCONSISTANCIES in the stated stats for the Ranger.

Now I will not argue that the Tacoma was fun for the testers to drive, compared to the Ranger. Also I do not TOTALLY agree with vince regarding the "gimick" of the TRD, that is a lot of stuff for the price, but ask yourself one question.

Did the Ranger COMPLETE the same trails/challenges as the Tacoma?

YES, indeed it did which leads me to what I have been saying all along, my Ranger will basically go where the Tacoma can go.
  • Options
    LITTLE tight after 5 years retirment but. . .
    http://members.aol.com/Cpousnr/index.html
  • Options
    parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    Spoog, first of all stop with name calling...It only reflects on you.

Secondly, the tow rating and payload capacity are dead on for my truck. I got them from Ford. I have the 2 wheel drive V6 Auto extended cab with four doors with the tow package (ie what fit my needs.) Again, my tow capacity is EXACTLY 5000Lbs and my payload is EXACTLY 1620lbs. Don't believe me, go check every site you can find, starting with FORD.

And stop with multiple garbage posts. Your link is only showing the base Ranger stats. Without calling names, do YOU believe that trucks that offer different rear ends, motors, and trannys all have the same ratings?????????? LOL

You left open some nice points for name calling, but I'm trying to avoid it here.

Now I've posted my FACTS. Some of your stats are accurate (for base rangers) just not for my truck.

Now that you keep avoiding my questions, with multiple junk links, please answer the following:
    1) Where is the accessory proof?
    2) What are your ratings, payload/tow?
    3) Please provide independent tests showing tacomas front impact rating equals the Rangers as you stated? Out of my sampling of 4 tests, only one showed them equal the three others showed 2 stars for tacomas and four stars for Rangers.
    Since, you admitted the side impact rating, no need to bother with that one.
    4) Please explain the denser metal statement.

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    http://www.trdusa.com/
    The TRD giftshop, but if it is so good stock, why would someone bother. . .

Compliments of a *****/**** Ranger owner.

There is a nice article on BF Goodrich AT KO's and I understand the Ford engines in the current Four wheeler Mag
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Children, please be advised....

that posting entire articles, or significant portions of articles, from other publications is a copyright violation and punishable by legal action by the copyright holder.

While Edmunds is probably not liable, in the future I will be deleting such items.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    Well that kills this board then.
    Good job. looks like the people left here will resort back to heresay and anecdotal evidence.
  • Options
    Is posting of URL's ok? I would think so.
    Also, ok to paraphrase from articles?

Also, I emailed Edmunds regarding my login problem. No response so far. Something is new in the HTML and on my lowly Windows 3.11 computer at home, the first presentaion I get is the current posts but no double line followed by the login button.

Something changed in the HTML and it is blowing this Win 3.11 user out of the water. Can I request that the HTML get changed back or at least the old options being restored?!?
  • Options
    Here is the URL that describes the Consumer Reports Auto tests:

http://www.consumerreports.org/Special/Samples/Reports/9904trk0.htm

While I can guess that the track is not as agressive as others, EVERY VEHICLE IS SENT THRU THE SAME TRACK FOR THE COMPARE.

The Tacoma went thru the same tests as the Ranger, as the S10. . .
This discussion has been closed.