Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• Well, if this is true, then it has risen out of my price range, unless I get a hefty raise!

Still glad I have my '03 SE. Thanks for the info.
  • That seems like a strange comparison? I don't consider the A4 to be in the same class as the Maxima. Look forward to reading it anyway.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    HIDs will be standard on the SL and optional on the SE. Knowing Nissan, the HIDs will prolly be part of some $6,000 package on the SE!
  • khoakhoa Posts: 64
    "The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease" ... as consumers we have the right to whine to get better products. It's not like Nissan have never refined the look of the Maxima after their 1st r e-design.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    Judging by what Afty saw the car may have gotten a tad slower than the 02/03 with the 6.3 sec to 60 and 14.8 1/4 mile time.
  • Re, Re, and Re-confirmed on my feelings about my purchase of my '03 SE.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess that extra 200 lbs is slowing it down. I would think that the SE with the 5-speed auto tranny has to be a touch faster due to better gearing (I'm hoping <7 secs). The SL, with the 4-speed auto that was carried over from the 03, has to be a lot slower.
    Well the 02/03 autos are already sub 7 sec cars to 60 with the 4spd auto, but your right with the extra weight and minimal gain in power if any the 04 might not be. I m guessing witht e 5spd auto it might be on par with the 02/03 autos with the added weight etc. at about 6.6-6.8 sec. Im guessing for the 4spd auto 7.0-7.2 purely a guess!

I agree Nissan Girl I love my 03 SE and I get many compliments on it!
    Afty what was the trap speed through the 1/4 mile for the 04 manual?
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I think the trap speed was 97 mph. I read the magazine at Barnes and Noble, so I don't have it with me to check for you.
    Thanks afty
    I went over to my brothers he has it and it trapped at 96.69 mph in the 1/4mile.
  • I have been checking out this 2004 nissan maxima discussions and very impressed with the opinions and information people have shared so far on the 2004 max. I'm a rookie here but thought I would join in on the "fun" because I to will be in the market for a 2004 max when it arrives. I live in the Washington DC area and spoke to salesman at a nissan dealer I have bought my cars from in the past. My experience with this salesman has been solid and he has been true to his word (so far). He did inform me the salesmen of the dealership he works at will be going through training/information session for the 2004 max on Feb 19. I guess this is something the salesmen all go through before new models hit the showrooms. Does anyone know when in March (early or late) the new 2004 max will show up in showrooms? I have a lease on a 2000 pathfinder that will be up on April 1st, so I am trying figure out the timing here.
  • just got a 2003 maxima titianium edtion and titanium color what a grreat car cant get over the engine and the ride love the stereo too just an awsome car would highly recomend the car looks and rides great
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    NJMAXIMA,

I got the same color I don't think I have ever seen a better color on a Max ever. My stereo is good but the subwoofer vibrates alot when I play rap music. Does yours do the same? There is info on the 04' Maxima in March's edition of Motor Trend. They give it good praise except of course for the front grille.
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    Just checked out the 0-60 time on the 04 is exactly the same as the 03 at 6.3 :)
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Review of the '04 Max SE in Motor Trend is discouraging. From a sensible sports sedan, Max seems now to be appealing to the boy racer set, like Pontiac, with an overpowered engine with massive torque steer, overweight and over long, with styling eccentricities, unnecessarily huge 18" wheels, etc. I prefer the previous generations: understated, sober and sane, practical, balanced, functional, not flashy. Maybe the GLE will be more restrained.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    The 04 Max tested by Motor Trend is a fully loadead Max SE with 6 speed, DVD navi, sky roof, elite seating, 18 inch tires and all the creature comfort goodies that the 03 Max GLE offers. That is why the price tops $34k. I wonder what the base 04 Max SE or SL (equivalent to GLE?) cost.

IMHO, the 04 Max is a bit out-classed by the Audi V6. The Audi is a German car with a higher price tag, a better looking and more refined interior. The Max is not bad and received high marks for its honey sweet engine (which is basically the same engine as the 03 Max). The new Max's bold and highly non-traditional style got mixed reviews -- hate it or love it. Overall, MT gave the new Max a pretty good review and rating.

Whoever is the first person on this Board to test drive the 04 Max must promptly report his or her views afterwards or else be barred from this Board :-) Scout's honor!! I think the folks on the East coast will probably get first dips.
  • Sorry, but I think some aspects of car making should be left to the Germans. I love japanese cars, but the Germans just have is down to a T. However, after the Germans and Mercedes-Benz, Japan and Nissan/Infiniti is right there. You'll NEVER catch me driving a 'Merican-made car! My parents are best friends with a big Nissan Dealer down here...so, she will call me when she gets a new Max in like she did for the 350Z
  • too. Thanks in advance.
  • Am really disappointed because the 2004 Maxima will not have rear drive. My mind is changed and will get an Infinity G-35 sedan for a rear drive real car from Japan.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Car & Driver review just out is quite critical, especially of the torque steer with manual transmission. The car is obviously overpowered for a front driver.

The Edmunds review offers routine praise for the car but says little beyond bland generalities. A genuine road test with auto transmission is needed.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    I agree with C&D - if you're totally redesigning the car, you have to address the torque steer. There's really no excuse for that when you're going up against Acura. I was willing to accept it in my '02 because I knew they couldn't redesign that model and I wanted the power, but not in the '04.

At around $25K, the old Max was a unique animal that gave you all of the utility of a family sedan and a fun driving experience. I don't know what this new model gives you. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, but it just doesn't stand out from the crowd anymore.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    hey, as long as you don't have to buy a Pontiac.......I'll take the Maxima and its torque steer......
  • I too believe that Maximas have too much power to be FWD any more. I remember a while back that Maximas were going upscale with AWD and possibly a V8. I can deal with an AWD Maxima though I would prefer a RWD one. All that power in a FWD car is simply wasted.

When I floor my 98 Maxima in first gear, I get torque steer and the tires dance all over the road; when I shift to second, the tires chirp. This is cool and fun because I look at my car as a $20,000 fun sedan. I can't say the same traits would be considered attractive on a $30K upscale vehicle.

Finally, anyone notice how BMW's seem so under-powered on paper (225HP) but are in reality equal performers to the 260HP FWD cars?
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    IMO, BMW's 3.0L engine is severely underrated. Every vehicle it is used in performs better than it should, based on paper specs. For example, look at Car and Driver's SUV test from a couple months ago. The X5 3.0 was able to accelerate just as fast as the MDX and Lincoln Navigator, which had much better power-to-weight ratios. In this month's C/D issue, the 530iA outaccelerates cars with much better power-to-weight ratios. You'll see the same thing in 330i and 330Ci comparison tests against higher-powered competition.

Clearly this engine is making more power than BMW claims.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I completely agree with your assertions. In addition, I'm starting to wonder WHY car mags feel the need to ROAD TEST as soon as they get their hands on a car. Maybe its just me, but I'm tired of every other paragraph reading "this will likely improve with production models" and "we hope that production solves this issue". I felt the entire Car and Driver article was riddled with statements like this. I apologize if this strays a bit off topic, but I'd much rather see a "preview" article listing changes and observations but no hard-core evaluations/numbers, THEN a few months later, an actual road test of a PRODUCTION vehicle. This is how it used to be. Now the mags, Car and Driver especially, will do a Road Test on a car that doesnt come out for 4 or so months, then not follow it up until a year after the actual release date in a comparison. Grr.

I'll wait to decide what I think of this new Max until I can drive one, and until we can get some indicitive test cases.

Thanks for reading my rant,
    ~alpha
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    It's as much demands from the fans as it is the mags that dictate tests of these early versions.

As for the Maxima test, while they did suggest that the touchy electronic throttle and ABS brake performance may improve in production, their biggest complaints, the pronounced torque steer and the too-firm ride, probably will not. So personally, I think it was a useful introduction to the new Maxima.
  • kyjd75kyjd75 Posts: 10
    We are a Nissan family. We've owned 3 Maximas, several pickups, and various other models, including z cars. We were all set to buy the 2004 model until we saw it. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for us, it's one of the ugliest cars we've ever seen. AFter seeing the photographs, we went and purchased a new Mazda6s sedan. Now there's a nice car. . .Nissan has really blown it with the new Max, IMHO.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    About the torque steer- C&D bitched and moaned about it a bunch of times. Then they mentioned that it would likely be less of an issue with the automatic, which is about how say, at least 75% of Maximas will be equipped. I guess I just feel C&D's quality has been slipping lately. The writing is not as sharp as it used to be, and the comparisons are often haphazard.
    ~alpha
This discussion has been closed.