Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

1131415161719»

Comments

• p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    When you trade in a car, you will pay the difference between the price of the new vehicle and the vehicle you are trading in, plus the tax on that difference. If you owe money on your trade in, the balance will be then added to the final figure. Realistically, the best you can hope for on your trade is the Kelly Blue book trade in value. Many dealers honor KBB trade in values because they are already much lower than the NADA trade in values and somewhat less insulting that the auction "black book" values. Beware that the Kelly Blue book (kbb.com) trade in values depend heavily on the condition of your trade. To lower your trade in value, many dealers will insist that there is no such thing as a vehicle in "excellent condition" (unless, of course they are selling it to you), and that each car needs something to be "excellent". The trade in value on the car in "good" condition will be much lower. Do not let them play that game if you have premium vehicle to trade.

Also, remember that if there are any rebates on the new vehicle you are buying, these rebates are taxed, i.e. they are subtracted from the final price after the tax has been added, not before.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    In a lot of states, like here in California, the sales tax is computed on the full selling price of the new car even if you have a trade in. If the new car costs $25,000 and they give you $20,000 on the trade, the tax will be on $25,000 not the $5,000 difference.
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    Before, Nissan wasn't something to die for. But the new Maxima is very HOT! It includes a 10 horsepower upgrade with a 265 horsepower V-6 engine. It starts around $26,000. And also has the first avaliable skyview roof to allow not only passengers in the first row to feel the breeze but also in the 2nd. The new Nissan Maxima only has one con. Who would buy a Nissan Maxima over a Infiniti G35. They are to relativly close. It is on the same platform which includes the Altima.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    Your post sounds like an advertisement :)

The skyview roof panels do NOT open like a traditional sunroof, they are there make the cabin feel more open/less confined. I like the skyview roof, because a lot of people never open the sunroof anyway, and it isn't costing buyers any money.

I agree about the G35 vs. Maxima decision. The big difference I see is G35 is RWD, while the Max is FWD.
    Is the skyview roof standard on every 2004 Maxima model? I only saw an SE model with it on it and noticed that a regular power sunroof was a $900+ option. In my opinion, this skyview would look a lot more attractive if they used two wide ones, the same size as the optional sunroof (fixed glass in this case).
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    Yes, the skyview roof is standard on both SE and SL models. I also agree with p100, the roof should be oriented the same way as a traditional sunroof, because it would provide more light where people actually use/need it.
  • diggdydiggdy Posts: 2
    Hi all just got my 04 Max red SE w/a spoiler and I've clocked 300 miles on it already. We had to travel to Atlanta to get a go deal on the car, that is the reason for the miles. Let me tell you that this car is smooth, quick and yearns for you to slam the pedal to the floor. Felt good giving other Maxima drivers their first glance at the 04 on the HWY.
    You say that this is true in a LOT of states? I guess I never lived in one of those. This is another innovative way to tax people.
  • toucanettoucanet Posts: 9
    Where did you purchase your car in Atlanta? Which Maxima did you purchase? What did you pay? What was the dealer's fee?

I would love for a salesperson to justify a $500.00 Dealer's charge.
  • diggdydiggdy Posts: 2
    I went to Team Nissan in Marietta,Ga. I brought a Red SE with a wing, mud flaps, and rugs for $26,500. Sticker was $28,000. Yes, I did pay that dame $500.00 dealer's fee but I got it much less than I would anywhere in my home town of New Orleans. Great car and it is a nice conversation piece.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I went to two Nissan dealers in Charlotte N.C. (Superior Nissan and Independence Nissan) and I looked and looked. I saw a coupe of Maximas that I liked. The interior is nicer than I had first thought. Maybe it is growing on me. I really really liked a Silver one that was on the lot. Do you have the skyview?
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    justification for dealer charge: they want you to buy the '03's till they are gone. they do this by discounting old models...but sometimes thats not enough to sway the fence-sitters. adding money on the new model gets more old ones sold quicker, and getsmore money for the new ones. its a win-win for the dealer. profit is not a crime.
    I just looked at a fully loaded 04 Maxima SE with an elite package and the sticker was over $35,000. The elite package alone is over $ 6,000! I was surprised to see that this package does not include sunroof, which was additional $ 900. $ 35,000 sticker represents about $ 4,000 price increase over a fully loaded 03 SE. The elite package contains a few more gimmicks than previously available on the 03 (e.g. heated rear seats), but the price increase appears excessive. One good thing is that there are 5 equipment packages to choose from for an SE model and three packages for an SL model. Each lesser package is a subset of the next more expensive package. For those of us who can live without a heated steering wheel or power rear sunshade, a base SE with a premium audio package (Bose stereo) looks like a decent deal ($ 28K+).

One observation: Even cars in medium price range like the Maxima are getting overgadgetized these days. Can you imagine potential problems and associated repair costs with this car with an Elite package 10 years down the road? It will be like owning a BMW 750 iL, which comes with power heated rear bucket seats.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    granted, gizmos break, but the folks in the income levels to buy these generally dont keep cars more than 3 or 4 years at most. the risk comes with the 2nd and 3rd owners. and they can research problems with the gizmos before they buy a used car. new cars have warranties, so the 1st owners dont have to worry much.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Since this is now available for purchase, I'm going to ask everyone to swing over to the active topic in Sedans on the Nissan Maxima.

Thanks for the great discussion on this major redesign!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.