Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    The 03 Max will not look obsolete even if they change for 04. Why not wait til 04 comes out and then scoop up an 03 for a good deal? What does one need AWD for? Snow? Get a set of Blizzaks and you'll be fine. AWD may help torque steer though. I live in MN and my Max gets around just fine. Tires are the key.
  • wgrwgr Posts: 127
    While the 2004 is probably upgraded with some great stuff, I am sure the price increase will push me out. Maybe a good plan is to wait until the 04s are ready to come out and then get a good close-out price on an 03. The 03 is still a very good car. And if they offer discounts on the 03 the way Accord offered them on the 02 Accord, it could be a great buy.
  • erichnererichner Posts: 14
    In response to your questions, the 2004 Maxima that is shown at http://www.brianv.net/newmaxima/ it's similar to what I saw. The difference is the front grill which was closer to a single blackened out pontiac grill. It was said a the time that the grill was not been finalized yet. It does look much better in the spy picture. Notice that the headlights are the Q45 ones and that there is some type of sunroof on the roof. The one I saw was a lot narrower - perhaps 8-10" inches running from the front center of the roof almost all the way to the rear glass.

I don't recall a lot of chrome. The speedometer and all other gauges were beautiful clock faces. Crisp and clear with a iridiscent pearl background.

Everybody thought the car belonged to the Infinity line and not Nissan.

Did you see the rear-end on the 04 ? Does it look like the picture on the internet site ?
  • erichnererichner Posts: 14
    I recall the rear end to be very clean cut and the rear taillights and the rear glass didn't look like the picture... but a few things could have changed since I saw the prototype.
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    I hope they do in fact add as an option of AWD. Unlike where you live in flatland, USA Blizzaks maybe good enough for you but for other states AWD is necessary. It would be nice to have it especially here in the sierra Nevada where chains are mandatory in cars w/o AWD including SUVs during storms (its the law). If Nissan adds AWD it will steal market share from its Audi rival especially here in the mountinous terrain. I know somebody that would consider one if that is to happen.

If Nissan decides to add the same trannie as the Murano it will be a boon. 7 speed tiptronic, wow!!! Also some of the internal stainless steel accents would also look nice as the Murano. If the Murano adds some of its flavorings to the Maxima it should be a really spectacular car.
  • No camoflage, either!

http://www.arborwood.com/awforums/show-topic-1.php? start=1&fid=4959&taid=1&topid=19&nut=1032464510#7

NOTE: I split the link between "?" and "start" to avoid the 150 word limit. I don't really see the point for that, Edmunds.

• pda97pda97 Posts: 88
    AWD is an advantage in snowy areas. However, a majority of buyers don't need AWD since it's an added cost. If Nissan bumps up the power significantly on the 04 Max (assuming it retains FWD), then AWD is a good idea since it can elimiate torque steer. Otherwise, go to a RWD format !
  • This is a disturbing trend I am seeing in a lot of cars. Why are all my favorite cars getting bigger and bigger. The maxima is just fine at the 3200-3300 lb mark (actually it can lose a couple of hundred pounds). The current car is big enough to carry around a family and still small enough to actually make the car fun to drive. Everyone has this obsession with making cars bigger. The old Altima was a good size and should have stayed as is, as should the maxima. Honda did the right thing in keeping the new accord the same size. AWD will just add another 300 lbs. to what already looks like a 3500 lb car. As far as I can see the new Max looks like an old man car (I hope I didn't offend anyone).
  • pda97pda97 Posts: 88
    I wouldn't mind if Nissan were to kill the Max. Or kill the I35. But not keep both. What's wrong with the Altima being Nissan's flag ship ? Add a High Output version of the Altima SE. Call it SE-R or something. Nissan already has WAY too many models in the high $20K range.
    Get rid of the Altima and revamp the Max before dropping the Max! The interior in the Altima looks like a Grand Am compared to the Maxima. Give the Max the independant suspension and cosmetic overture and call it a day. Get rid of those freakin ugly clear tail lights too!

Seeya
  • I agree, the Maxima's interior is very nice in terms of design as well as quality of materials. I wouldn't change a thing on the inside. If they can add the independent suspension and maybe clean up the rear end design a bit, the car would be perfect. But if they make the car any bigger, it'll be a turn-off.
  • ccermak, dude, are you crazy??!! I've not liked the shape of the rear end of the Maxima since the 2000 redesign, but for the 02/03 changes, the clear tail lights are the best change on the max besides the engine!
    Those clear tailights look like something a young punk fast and furious dork stuck on there aftermarket. Why don't you put on one of those great big stainless steal spoilers too, and a big can muffler, bzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No way, give me the smoked out tails anyday.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    The tail lights really seem to be a love-it-or-hate-it feature. Personally, they're not for me. But I've witnessed others raving about them. I think that in 2 years time they'll go the way of the Dodo.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I am about to by another Maxima my 4th. However after seeing the pictures of the future 2004 SHOULD I wait until the spring of 2003??? I need some help because I am buying in November 2002. I really love the Max but man the picture makes me go WOW!! Will the 04 price remain the same?? HELP! HELP! HELP!
  • bobby1361-

Well, the Maxima already got hit with a pretty good price hike for 2002, when the new Altima came out. I expect that the 2004 will go up a bit more, but probably not drastically.

Personally, I question Nissan's decision to build V6 Altimas in the $23-27K price range. That's forcing Maxima base prices up into Infiniti range, and there's just no good reason for it.

If I ran Nissan, I would have made the 2002 Altima 4-cyl only, and said, "If you want a V6, buy a Maxima". That arrangement, IMHO, would make a lot more sense in terms of making a clear differentiation between the models.

-Andrew L
  • Good points, Andrew! I totally agree with you.

A clear differentiation between Maxima and Altima is not only important but necessary. In fact, I believe it will benefit both consumers and Nissan.
  • My Nissan salesman told me recently that most all Altima shoppers want the 4 cyl. He was saying that if someone wants a V6 they "step up" to the Maxima. I mean, you might as well, there is hardly any price difference in the V6 Altima vs the Maxima.
  • I have 2 pics of what I was told is the new Maxima.

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

Follow the "Vince's car page" link.

• mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    If Alty has no v6, it'd not be taken seriously as camcord competitor. Before new alty came out, it was never mentioned with the other two, now they seem like triplets. Com'on, even the maz6 has v6. You want the alty to fall behind it too? Besides the new max will zoom way ahead of the alty v6. But it may rear end the g35 thou...
  • petra02petra02 Posts: 33
    DO NOT take the pictures found in the links on message 52 seriosuly. They are either completely fake, already released, or "borrowed" from other sites.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Yeah, that site, thehollywoodextra, needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. Like, mountain-sized. They're always posting fake photoshopped images.
    Is the '04 still scheduled for Spring of 2003 ? Anyone have a more specific date ?
  • Is the following link the new '04 Maxima? If not, it must be a future Infinity model.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/TEANA/PROLOGUE

Speaking of the '04 model, when does production cease for the '03 model, since the '04 is due to be available in the Spring?

What specific differences are there between a fully loaded SE '02 & '03?

• The 2004 Maxima will likely go on sale in the spring of 2003 as a 2004 model.

And, yes, I'm reasonably sure that the Teana is the next Maxima.
  • I went to my local Nissan Dealer and he told me that there is a new model of the Max coming out in the Spring/Summer of 2003 and it will have a V8 and V6. It will be about $35,000 to start! He showed me a scruffy Black and white picture of it and it does look quite similar to what the hollywood extra link looked like. I do however think at that price range many will opt for a new beefed up Altima. Many people will be out of the 35K price range!
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    Anyone have any other spy pics of the 2003 Maxima?
  • There is not a chance that new Maxima will cost more then Infinity G35, or have V8 engine. You must remember that cars in $30-35K price range are all under luxury group and I do not think Nissan Maxima will get there.
    My only wish can be RWD, 5 speed AT and price increase no more than 5%
This discussion has been closed.