Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• cfocfocfocfo Posts: 147
    Maxima owners really seem to love their cars, which says a lot.

I was researching the 03 MAX and heard that it isn't the MAX of the 90s in regards to Quality. So I looked at the JD Power ratings and they seem to back this fact up.

It makes me wonder if the Maxima owners that speak so highly of it, really had a GREAT car in the 90s and so have gone out and bought another and have wound up with an avg reliable car ?

Before you new owners send me a computer virus, I'm just asking due to the JD Power ratings reference.
  • wgrwgr Posts: 127
    Consumer Reports conducts a survey of its readers re auto reliability and from at least 1999 through 2002 rates the Maxima as "much better than average". JD Power looks at the first 90 days of ownership and reflects 2003 models. What is troublesome is that Consumer Reports very recently has downgraded the Civic and the Camry and some others due to reliability reports from its readers. Is this spreading to others ? Is it because these cars are now being made in the US instead of Japan ?
  • No way. Having worked in pricing I can say that it would be idiotic for Nissan to put it at this level...what is the point of having Infinity?
    I will see them sooner make G40 than sell Nissan sedan at this price...haha
  • radocha-

I don't expect that a base model will be that expensive. Most likely they will slot it right on top of the Altima, since it's a similar car, but slightly larger, and with the V6 and luxury stuff standard. I expect to see a base around $27,000 and loaded models around $32,000. Anything higher would make little sense.

-Andrew L
  • According to caranddriver.com, the Maxima will have the 3.5 liter engine as the 2003, but with 5 extra hp (to 260), and the base price will start at $30,000. Do you think they will discontinue the Infiniti I35, because then what is the point of having 2 cars that are more identical than they were this year?
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Call me conservative, but I think the rear end of the new Max looks out of syn with the rest of the car. It looks as if some heavy object fell on it and squashed it. I don't think tall passenger sitting in the rear will appreciate the headroom.

I agree if the base price starts at $30k, many prospective Max buyers may be priced out of range. But as we all know, MSRP does not mean true sale or market price, particularly when the new car is out for a while and there isn't much enthusiasm. However, if the base price provides for a fully featured car (such as the TL), then it is not bad at all.

I heard the new Max will be on sale in April, but I'm sure I will catch a glimpse of it in the Feb. New York auto show.

Does anybody think Nissan is churning out too many new products in recent years? Look at the new Z, Altima, G35, Murano, M30, Q45, Max etc. I am concerned about the quality of new products because they usually come with new bugs. When a product ages a few years, then most bugs will be eliminated. For this reason, I personally would rather buy a car that is at least 2 years into production. Does anyone share the same view?

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Nissan is on a comeback high. All those years of not bringing out a lot of new cars allowed Honda to surpass it as Japan's #2 automaker, and eventually led to the merger with Renault. Of course, I'm oversimplifying a lot, but that, in a nutshell, is basically why Nissan is bringing out so many products.
  • but I didn't like the rear-end of the 5th gen at first either.
  • After seeing the first official picture of the new 2004 Maxima, I'm not sure if this is what I had in mind.

The car reminds me too much of a Saturn ION sedan "writ large." In short, the car looks a bit overstyled compared to the JDM Nissan Teana (which is a far better looking car and that should have been the new Maxima instead).
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Another winning design from Nissan/Infiniti
  • I think people arent to thrilled about it bc Nissan has strayed from the, "average" looking car stereotype. Look at the accord and camry...BORING looks on the outside. Nissan is the contrast that most YOUNG buyers are looking for. Just my opinion, but I think Nissan is becoming the new "car to have" make. I mean, say what you want, but honda has aged. They discontinued the prelude, big mistake in my opinion, that was the one FINE car in their lineup that was aimed at young people who want sportiness. Not to piss people off or anything, but that is how I feel NOW that Nissan is in full speed ahead mode: "Move over Honda, you've had your 15 minutes of fame, it's Nissan's turn!" just MO tho!! No need to start WWIII!! :)
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    I'm starting to love the look! I wish someone had a front shot though...

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/nissan/2004/maxima/spy/home.shtml

• rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    I'm not a current Maxima owner, but am putting th 2004 on my list of possiblilites. To those that abjectly reject the new styling...I hate to say it, but the current Maxima, from a style standpoint, looks TOTALLY generic. I applaud Nissan for making an attempt to give some individuality to the car...
  • Thanks for putting the link to those new photos. I agree with the comments about the direct rear view. The rear looks great from that angle and looks like it has a more luxury sport look that it never quite had before. Hope to see the front soon!
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    Nissan has apparently discovered a comfortable groove with their sedan styling, since they're once again beginning to all look the same, or a slight variation on a theme.

I'd have to say that I agree with the comment above about it having strong hints of the Saturn Ion.

Anyway, I'd guess the front will have the extremely vertical headlights and low grille ala the G35.
  • "...a slight variation on a theme." In your opinion, is this a good thing or a bad thing for Nissan? If bad, how can BMW, Chevy, Mercedes-Benz, etc. pull it off? Arent similarities in a car brand a good thing?
  • I don't think chevy/GM is pulling it off well at all, just look at the CTS, and the whole art and science theme ( but the XLR convertible looks pretty nice).

It does work with Mercedes and BMW, and VW though.
  • When you have a ubiquitous engine and ever so popular platform across the Nissan and some Infinity line up...it gives you time and resources to apply yourself on defining a more unique style and reinventing an image...risky but apparently successful for a company that was heading into bankruptcy few years ago...works for me.
    As for its looks....I am not sold on it yet, but then I never am until I drive a car.
    I agree though with the 'variation' aspect, it seems that someone is using the same set of puzzles, and perhaps force-fitting them a bit too much to produce new models.
    "In your opinion, is this a good thing or a bad thing for Nissan?"

I guess it depends on the success of the theme, and how extensively the maker uses it throughout the line. Where Nissan differs from BMW, MB, etc., is that these others don't extend the same theme between a mainstream brand and a luxury brand. With BMW, a 3-series and 7-series are both indeed BMW's, even if they sell for different prices. With MB, the same thing.

However, you're seeing very common themes between Infinitis and Nissans. Perhaps too common... at least that's what I'd start to think if I were in the market for an Infiniti. If the luxury brand has a really solid reputation, such a strategy may have a halo effect for the mainstream brand (such as the Passat's obvious Audi heritage). However, Infiniti isn't the established successful brand that Audi or Lexus are, so that strategy could backfire, making the luxury brand lose its prestige because it looks too much like the mainstream brand.

Another issue is that personally, I'm not a big fan of the "tarted up Passat" look of the Altima anyway, so I don't find the prospect of a stable of Altima-inspired Nissans and Infinitis to be all that appealing.

My final issue with the new Maxima is the "Ford Taurus" look of the rear end. That along with the Saturn Ion look from the side doesn't exactly say "premium sports sedan design" to me.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    There seems to be a contest among Nissan/Toyota/Honda to see who can design the most bloated looking car. The Maxima gets the first prize, IMO.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    From the side it doesn't look so bad, and if the front looks anything like the Altima, it's definitely not bad at all.

But that derriere...
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    that they've gone back to red taillights. Glad the boyracer clear ones are gone. (I replaced the clear taillights on my 2002 SE with the red ones from the 2000-2001 model year and it looks so much better). Alas, it would appear that Nissan is into ugly rear ends (and ugly front ones if you count the new Murano and Quest). Doesn't the Quest concept remind anyone else of a dolphin nose?
    either the 3series coupe or the C230 coupe. Either shares plenty of styling cues with the 7series or Eclass.

One thing I'll say against the new Max design, it doesn't break new ground like the Murano. The Murano is all new, so Nissan could go all out. They dont want to offend existing Max fans with a radical departure. They dont want to go taurus with the new design.
    "They dont want to go taurus with the new design."

I know you mean something different, but the Max's new rear screams "Taurus" to me.
    I meant 'hatchback' instead of 'coupe.' Of course the 325Ci is a classy design, the 325ti is a hideous one. Cclass doesnt even have a coupe.
    new CLK is one gorgeous looking coupe!
  • pda97pda97 Posts: 88
    Too bloated and too big. Altima looks better and costs less. Kill the Max, Nissan ! You're running out of ideas !!
  • I am so glad that I just got an 03 max because whats coming isn't all that great looking! Who ever said it looks like a Saturn was right on the nose! While I am open to the 04 look I personally think that Nissan is not going to sell that many unless they throw in some real buyer incentives! There are too many cars in that price range that are a better driving and onwership expereince (can you say INFINITI???) We will just have to wait and see!
    Some people are ready to kill a car after looking at one picture!

OK, lets kill the Max. You think the Alty 3.5 is a convincing alternative to Passat W8, ES/Avalon, TL? Gimme a break!
This discussion has been closed.