Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• I am a some time maxima owner. Had a 1987 then a 1989 then a 1996. The 1989 was so far ahead of its time. Ir is still a good car, I just got tired of shifting gears!!!

I like the new design (Reminds me a little of the Lexus GS 300). Also, the rear quarter looks like the new 350Z a little.

My question... Are there any major leaps mechanically with this model? Have they fixed any major flaws?

As I said, I had a 1996 but someone rear ended me and it basically collapsed. I opted for a 1993 Q45 after that and am still driving a 1995 Q45 just for its size and feeling of safety. But I would like to get back into a maxima, just for its smaller enginge and lower cost of maintenance if for no other reason.
  • pda97pda97 Posts: 88
    Oooohh, it has the Altima's profile...but with a very ugly looking nose. The trunk lines look like a Lexus GS. BAD, BAD, BAD !!! Kill the Max, Nissan !
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    the nose is fake, no one can intentionally make it that ugly!
  • I worried if the redesigned 2004 max will have any major flaws? My friends told me don't buy the redesigned car, they all have major flaws, and said better buy the last year modle since most major flaws are already fixed, so it has been said, 2003 max is a better choice than 2004 max...but I want the big size, and it looks nicer!
  • It's possible, but not always true. I bought the 1st 2000 Maxima in the town I live in, actually as soon as it came off the truck in June of 99 I claimed ownership of it. Never had a problem with it..period! I kept it for over 3 years, just traded it in for a '03 SE. All I did to the '00 was oil change, 2 air filters, and 1 set of tires. I'm sure there are some out there that have flaws, but mine surely wasn't one of them.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    Interesting. Your last post interested me b/c I'm still deciding whether or not I want to get an '03 SE TE. I looked in the NHTSA's website last week and noted that the '03 max received 4 out of 5 stars...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2493.html

It's amazing how two tests can get different results! Hopefully I'll never have to find out who's right...the hard way!

• I feel much better now. That sounds much better than the previous post. However, I have the same thoughts as you, hope I NEVER find out which is actually right. I have the '03 SE.
  • 4 star is not good either, see Lexus E300 and Subaru Legacy 4-DR. Wagon

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003MidS.html

even Camry has 2 five stars...

• Then maybe you should consider one of those 3 makes. Do you anticipate crashing? It sure isn't in my plans.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    I'm surprised that there is no difference between the 2003 with the side airbags and the one without. It makes me feel good cause my SE doesn't have side airbags. Of course no one ever plans crashing but it's always a good idea to buy the safest car you can get for the money. I came to a Maxima because my Intrigue was totalled (the Intrigue had very poor crash test results but protected me in a real world situation very well).
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    Lot's of tangential thinking going on here...
    I want more pictures
  • like jg28 said, "always a good idea to buy the safest car you can get for the money"
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    I guess we should all drive Volvos then. Too bad for all the other car companies...

I didn't like the thing in the middle of the grill on the '04 Max. Makes it look like a pig's nose. I think the grill on the current Max is it's best feature so I was hoping they wouldn't play with it too much in the '04. The spy photo grill looks too much like the current Pontiac or BMW grills, neither of which I care for.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    Not to dismiss the crash tests, but I'll take my chances.

Did you guys see the list of features/options for the '04? Someone posted this on maxima.org so I don't know how reliable this is...

3 transmissions available: 5sp Auto w/manual shift mode, 4sp Auto, 6sp Manual

Vehicle Dynamic Control available on both auto transmissions

Dual exhaust with 4 chrome tips

Power folding mirrors standard on SE (available on SL)

Skyview Roof standard on all models. Sunroof is an option. This skyview roof is narrower than a typical sunroof, but runs the lenght of the car. From the exterior it will appear as one solid piece of tinted glass, but from the interior it will be split into front and rear by a narrow beam that will be coverd by headliner material. There will also be sunshades to pull shut to completely block off light if desired.

Bose will be the premium sound system, not Rockford.

A rear center console will be available on both trim levels (reduces seating to 4)

Dual Zone Climate Control with rear AC vents.

Center display integrates displays of HVAC, radio, and trip computer (similar to Murano).

Optional DVD Nav system.

It will be revealed at Jan 5 Detroit Auto Show

It will be available as soon as March 5, 2003.

20 gal fuel tank

18' wheels on SE model

Cornering lights

speed sensitive wipers

tilt/telescopic steering wheel

6 colors: winter frost, liquid silver, spirited bronze, champagne mist, red opulence, radiant ember

Full size spare comes with VDC option

Helical limited slip diff on manual SE model.

Elite package includes rear center console, rear sunshade (power), and rear heated seats.

Rear door courtesy lights. Rear reading lights.

Sirius or XM radio available on both models.

Interior colors: cafe latte, black, frost, and burnt orange/black.

Two exterior colors from 2003 are still available: onyx and majestic blue.

18" chrome wheel option.

The "traditional" sunroof is an option on all models.

Multi-link independent rear suspension.

Auto tint rear view mirror with compass & home link

That skyview roof sounds cool. Also, I had cornering lights (and IRS) on my 92 max. I'm glad to see they are upgrading from the 5th generation to a 3rd generation :-)

I dunno guys, this car has $35,000 to $37,000 (loaded) written all over it.

• I want my new 2004 maxima information and I want it now!!!!!!!!

I was the same way when the 1989's came out. I just had to have that car. I'm not usually a big car guy, but I am ashamed to say that I fell in love with the Altima design and am hoping that the Maxima is a bigger and better version of this.

I am not sure if I am going to be able to wait until the 5th of Janaury and the NY auto show!
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    The only good thing I can say about it is that it's the only part of the car that doesn't look like a Saturn Ion.

I guess the phrase "a face only a mother could love" applies here.
  • qguqgu Posts: 93
    Look at this feature list. Nissan is killing Infiniti. I guess they intentionally make the front end so ugly to give I35 a chance to survive.
  • Having seen the pictures of the 2004 Maxima's front end, I can say this is one UGLY car. (frown)

I'm disappointed that Nissan didn't bring over the Japanese domestic market Nissan Teana design for the new Maxima--the new car looks ugly on BOTH ends.

I can almost guarantee that there will be changes to the front and rear end designs within two years of the introduction of the 2004 Maxima.
  • For the last two Maxima generations, that has happened.

The fourth gen Maxima was released back in MY1995, by MY1997, it was facelifted.

Same for the fifth gen Maxima. It was released for MY2000, by MY2002 it was facelifted.

I would expect this to continue with the next gen.

I personally like the latest Maxima. Not as much as the Altima, but I do like it. I like the current model as well. I never really cared for the 4th gen. model. Especially the 1995-1996 with it's muy feo front and rear treatments.
  • I'm really glad I went ahead and picked up an '03 last month. I'm fixing to take it on it's first road trip, to the beach for New Years!!!
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Why are you guys posting and arguing just about the design? I know, you gotta love the car you have, but once you get inside the vehicle you forget what's going on outside. Now let's talk about: is it powerful? smooth ride? quiet enough? good controls and nice instruments? comfy seats? an so on...

And don't forget: it's impossible to satisfy everybody's taste. I hope in the near future the automakers will give the buyers an option to design their own front- and rear- ends, or instrument controls, and then release a vehicle especially to your taste... sound great, huh?
  • wgrwgr Posts: 127
    When I am spending over $30,000 for a new car, I want it to be as close to what I want inside AND outside. If not, I will spend that ungodly amount on some other car that comes closer to my tastes. I don't care how great the car performs and how great the interior is; if it looks like crap on the outside, why buy it ?????
  • has anyone gotten the specs yet?
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    Altima- was stunning, its still beautiful(love the radical design and clear tailight)
    Murano- i saw one on the streets while driving and almost got into an accident it was so beautifull(most futuristic looking car out now)
    Maxima- WHAT THE HELL were nissan designers thinking?? nastiest car nissan has made. All the lines and shape don't add up, and the back is shaped like a hatchback but its really a sedan, what kind of brilliant idea is that!?!
    who ruined this ultra beastly car into some fruit looking geezer mobile. I mean sure it has awsome power, and everything else is nice. But its sure ugly and fat looking. ITs like meeting a nasty fat girl with a great personality or something. I mean what is this?!

You know how they say, in every family there is always an ugly child, yup thats the 2004 maxima.
  • pda97pda97 Posts: 88
    The Max is getting uglier and uglier with every iteration !! What a joke ! It's gonna be the laughing stock of the automotive world.
    Those who think the recent pics of the disguised Max are of the real thing! How stupid is that?

Just wait a few more days and you will eat crow!
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    The official Nissan photos are of a disguised Max? I don't think so... And based on being able to compare the "spy photos" with the official Nissan photos, the "spy photos" are clearly not of disguised mules, but of the real thing.

No crow on my menu this week... I'm confident that the new Max is every bit as ugly as the photos suggest.
    pic, that of the rear. Others were taken when the Max was in testing and in disguise.

Come on, use your common sense. The design staff that put out the Altima/Z/G/Murano/FX. Consensus, but not unanimous, opinion is that every one of them was a design success. That staff wouldn't put out the Max seen in the spy pics.
This discussion has been closed.