Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix 2004 Redesign Questions & Comments

Comments

• The dealers in northern NJ have had the 04 since the middle of last week. They've been hiding them in the warehouse to get rid of the leftover 03's. Test drove a black GTP with the chrome, leather sun & sound package Wednesday. Liked it so much I went back to the dealer this morning and bought it and can't wait to pick it up tonight!
  • gmillegmille Posts: 3
    I just went to the Somerset Pontiac in Troy Michigan and they have a couple of 2004 GTP's with the CompG package. Funny thing was that the wheels on the car are not the 10-spoke machined finish wheels. Instead they were the GTP wheels with the chrome option. I questioned the dealer about this since many of us have been talking on this board about swapping wheels and he told me the following. The plant that manufactures the 10-spoke wheels burnt to the ground. A few dealers have gotten the CompG package with the intended 10-spoke wheels but now they have scrambled and are just using the standard GTP wheels until another supplier can be set up. On top of that they are charging customers for the chrome wheels ($595) even though customers are already paying a portion of the CompG option package for upgraded wheels. That is wrong in my opinion. They should not be charging more for this problem. While I like the chrome wheels better, I also liked the fact that the CompG wheels are lighter and fit with the rest of the CompG handling enhancements. What do you think about that??????
  • You're right, the consumer should not be responsible for Pontiac's inability to provide the specified wheels. If the chrome rims have been determined to be the equivalent replacement for the 10 spoke rims, how dare they charge extra. By the way the story about the fire sounds kind of fishy to me, have you spoken to another dealer to see what they say? I'll ask about that tonight when I go to my dealer.
  • gmillegmille Posts: 3
    Jeff,

No this is the first dealer I have gone to with this wheel condition. I am curious to see how the public will react when they order cars with this package and find out they have to shell out an additional $595.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Motorweek named the 2004 GP Car of the Month; so the General must be doing a few things better.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/carofthemonth.shtml
  • fred707fred707 Posts: 27
    I can tell you this whole car thing for me has been a nightmare. I ordered a GTP/CompG back in the beginning of February and I have still to this day have not received my car. I was told it was sent to production the week of 3/17 and that it should be here the middle of April. To start off I ordered the rear curtain air bags (restricted) and of course loaded the rest. I was under the intention of using a pull ahead program that GM offers on a leased vehicle. Well after calling GM and several dealerships first I could use it... Than I could not use it. Even folks at GM corporate were like yeah it should work on a 04 Grand Prix. It took the executive marketing director to admit there was nothing they could do. And that basically if I wanted the car fine.. But I would get no help from them on getting out of my burried Alero. If I did not love my 97 GTP so much and enjoy the ride of the 04 i was able to test, I would have switched to Mazda or Ford. I hope GM redeems their place with me when my 04 does finally gtet here.. The fact that the wheels are unavailable could be the biggest reason why I was recently told production target date was 3/31. So who knows. Pontiac also told me that purchase availability was not until mid-april has anyone heard anything about this?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    drove through the pontiac lot last night...had to do a double take on the Grand Prix....at first I couldn't tell the difference from the Grand Ams next to it.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    It is amazing how confussion like this happens. My younger brother is eligible for the lease pull ahead program. The letter he received says it is only available for 2002 and 2003 models, and so do the instructions the dealers received. you would think GM would read the mail it sends to the owners. He has been told since he firt asked that the side bags would be a delayed start up. last he was told was mid-april for them. Hasn't hear of any problems with the wheels, they are not on hold for ordering, but the dealer is checking another source.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Asked some questions, surfed a little and did some research on your question. The GTP is standard with 17" wheels and the Chrome version is a $595 upgrade. So why shouldn't they be the same price for the Comp G, which is also standard with 17" wheels? The cost of the 17" GTP wheel and the Comp G 17" wheel is the same according to the dealer' sparts depatment, so the upgrade should be the same. The Comp G package is $1395. It includes the InfoTech package which is $600. In 2002 the Oldsmobile Intrigue had a stabilitrak suspesion upgrade which cost $595 (included tire and axle ratio upgrade) This leaves $200 to represent the TapShift and any additional cost for the wheels. Since all the TapShift is a coupe paddles and some software in the Transmission, it is very simualr to Traction Control on other GM cars which is a $175 option generally. So the "light-Weight" 17" wheels do not seam to have an economic impact on the cost of the Comp G, just a product difference. So the $595 again seems to make sense. Dealer is still trying to confirm the Fire story. Will psot back.
    In the past, having gotten too excited about a brand new vehicle and going through a very similar experience as fred707; Reading some of the above early release problems, confusion and misinformation(from the dealers) is one of the reasons I am waiting a year or so for Pontiac to wring it out. I have a very good relationship with one of the local Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealers here and they admit that they have little control the first 6 months or so when brand new models are released off calendar. My contact told me that the story about the wheel factory burning down sounded very funny. He said for the first couple of months they basically get what the allocations allow and if they are lucky some of the deliveries will match what they ordered. Most often they are forced to take whatever the regional managers let them have(some dealers have more clout than others) and some dealer personnel are just more honest than others.
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    Visited 2 dealers today. Neither dealer heard of the fire story. BUT, I did see another Comp-G car with the $595 5-spoke chrome wheels. Seems like a rip off to me.

After contemplating the CTS and GP, I am close to pulling the trigger on a very good lease deal for a CTS. While the new GP is very nice and sporty, I already had a 98 GP, so I'm looking to try something different.

BTW, one of the dealers was willing to do GMS pricing with their in stock 04 GP's already!
  • kevin113kevin113 Posts: 3
    hi there everyone i have a 04 comp g on order should have it in a week or two but does anyone know why the grand prix logo badgeing that is surpost to be on the driver and passenger doors is not there? none of the comp g"s that ive seen at dealers have the badgeing on them like i see in the brochure and in magazines also the gtp badge on the trunk lid is jammed in the lower right corner it should be twice that size and on the left hand side. thank you to anyone who can answer this for me.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Probably the badging is not yet available. Early production cars may differ from later models in any number of ways. Badging should probably be the least of your concerns! :)
  • My wife and I drove the GTP with the performance package. The car is absolutely beautiful once viewed in the, not flesh, but metal. It looks much better in real life than it does in photos. It has a nice edgy look, and still has a little bit of the classic coke bottle shape to it. It has a nice aggressive stance and is very attractive from all angles. Once on the road, we found it rode very well, even over rough road and expansion joints. Very quick, the thumb shifting system works perfect. It was very quiet, no wind noise or road noise to speak of. The seats were comfortable, but pinched me a bit. My wife, who is 4' 10" fits into the car very well, but she did feel the pedals were a tiny bit too far away once she set up for the vision and steering wheel adjustments. Adjustable pedals would make a great standard feature. The stereo sounded good, we only listened to the radio though. Everything was very classy, nice plastics and materials. The dash looks gadgety but cool. The Heads Up is a very nice feature. The only complaint I have is the shaping of the rear seat cushion bottoms. I felt like I was slipping off forward when I sat in them. Too flat, although this does allow for a flatter cargo area when they are tipped down. We are shopping, and this car has moved to the top three on our list. We currently drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE with the full bore factory handling suspension. It rides much more harshly than the GP, but has quicker steering,a great engine, great interior design and a panoramic view from inside. The GP feels a little less open from inside, the cockpit design of the dash, which is cool, and the rising rear flanks cut down on window space or contribute to the more closed in feeling. The view to the rear is more constrained than our Maxima. But those negatives aside, the GP GTP is a great car. We will probably buy one, it will be in the Sand or the new orange color if that looks cool. See ya on the road.
    What I find funny is how alot of dealerships are saying things and that they never really know. I was at a mom and pop Pontiac GMC dealer who had 2 GT's on the lot both were GT2's. I spoke to the sales manager trying to get an 04 GTP CompG instead of waiting for my build. He looked at me a laughed. He claimed Pontiac was having an allocation issue on WS6 Units. So I knowing he is a dealer. Drove to a bigger volume dealer 30 minutes away. They had 6 GTP CompG's on the lot 3 sold 3 ready for sale. I would of bought one but they had two Black and One green.

I agree it seems funny but it's all in what is available from regional managers. Market share plays heavily on allocation of units. Also what I ran into is the smaller dealers refuse to dicker on price. The big dealer sold me my GTP at invoice. The unit sticker on my GTP is $30,370. Now if they could just put the damn car on the train and ship it I would be happier.

Does anyone know why GM has taken the Grand Prix off of the order selection web site for dealerworld. Now we have no way of finding out what patterns are available for build. If someone can get a new link to it please post it. It was a very usefull tool.

The old site is http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?regionID- =1&divisionID=7# But it does not have GP on it
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    the 2004 information is listed under the 2003 page. Go to select another division and then click on back and put in 2003 and cars and go to Pontiac. That should work.
    Is it me, or does the On Star antenna on the new GTP resemble Alfalfa's hair from the Little Rascals?
    Has anyone driven a GTP without comp-G, and a GTP with comp-G?

I've read the comp-G suspension is quite a bit rougher than the regular GTP. I've driven the comp-G and it does seem rough. But I can't find a non comp-G model to test drive.

Want to order or locate a car ASAP, but am hesitant since I can't test drive the plain GTP. If the ride quality is the same, I'd either go with a GT2 or suck it up and spring for a loaded Comp-G since I really want the SC engine.
    Yes I have driven both and have compared them. The non Comp G is more softer than the comp G. The comp G has a stiff/firm response. It is based on the suspension it gets. The GTP uses the same suspension as the GT2 softer and more bounce so to say. The comp G reacts to the road and handles much cleaner on even the most aggressive of curves. The GTP without tends to respond a little slower with more of the butt sliding. They both drive very very well. But the GTP handles a whole lot better when you get aggressive with it.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I thought the suspension was a bit too soft.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,563
    Took a 15 minute drive in a GTP CompG (with exactly the options that I would order, except color!) at lunch today. My impressions:

Ride? Firm, but acceptable, all in all. Information I have indicates that the difference between the GTP and the CompG suspension-wise is only ‘firmer bushings and spring rates’. Meaning not also dampers / shock absorbers. The replacement of shocks (for those who don’t happen to know) with struts, is typically more expensive than replacing bushings. I found the isolation of short sharp bumps or broken pavement to be quite reasonable, esp. given the V rated 55 series tires.

Acceleration? Pretty much as I expected, having owned a ’97 GTP.

NVH? This appears to be a solid, well bolted (welded, bonded, glued) together vehicle. Pontiac seems to have done both a good job at design avoiding areas where various interior components might rub or squeak (for instance) and assembly. Structure appears v. good. The exhaust note is noticeable, but not objectionable.

There was absolutely NO noticeable torque steer! And I was looking carefully for this. Driving only the front wheels with torque over 250 tends to be a challenge. Well done, Pontiac!

Steering at all speeds (well, I did not have the opportunity to exceed about 75) seemed well weighted and accurate.

Smoothness? Power delivery is excellent and TQ is available at any RPM. The drivetrain is well sorted. The TAPshift feature added to the MX0 trans. is well executed. Though I noticed no ‘throttle blip’ on downshifts, they were still well handled with minimal surge / buck. The upshifts were quick and well managed. Since both my current and prior vehicles had a ‘man-u-matic’ feature, I am used to the concept. What I found WOULD (for me) likely require some time to adapt to is the paddle shift mechanisms. The certainly work as advertised, but I am used to reaching down with my right hand to slap the console mounted shift lever forward or back to shift manually that I was not immediately comfortable with the paddles. And in sharp turns, where the paddles are substantially ‘out of position’, I found it a bit un-intuitive to have to seek the current (sometimes moving) paddle positions to shift. Sometimes it is just not practical to maintain hand positions at 10 and 2.

I do like the enhanced DIC and HUD. And the level of interior trim, quality, fit and finish seem appropriate for a car in this proce range.

Driving position? I was a bit surprised that w/moonroof I needed to adopt rather more of a ‘laid back’ driving position to clear the headliner . . .

RPM at 60 approx. 1800 / 1850.

I happen to like to 10 spoke wheels – and the red brake calipers.

I really would like GM to increase the GP warrantee beyond 36 / 36. And a DVD based NAV system. But I digress . . .

All is all, the GP GTP w/CompG stays on my short list. . .

Cheers,
    - Ray

Just my $.01.5 worth – adjusted for current economic conditions.
    I'm actually glad to hear the GTP rides like the GT2.
    O.k. so here is the deal with the wheels... There from what I am told is that the allocation of wheels sent for production was way low. Back in 1997 when the first wide track was introduced the GTP was 2% of all GP's sold. So production managers decided this go around the GTP's and GT's would sell but the comp-g would be like every other high performance (WS-6 Ram Air, and SS Camaro) car built by GM. Slow off the line in sales. So in a fast pace to get the vehicles to market Dealers were forcing the new wheel on to the car. Blame the dealer for adding it. Or if you are happy with the car, and were pushing to get it asap. Blame yourself for not wanting to wait.

Production on the wheels was only delayed 2 weeks. My dealer refused to force the wheels on until they became available from GM. Now all is back. My suggestion is. If you like the wheels on the GTP standard don't buy the comp- G. It defeats the purpose.
    should be ready to pick up tomorrow. Fortunately, I was able to find a dealer willing to do GMS pricing and do a locate on the car with the exact options I wanted.

In prior posts, some people have complained about the 10-spoke Comp-G wheels. I actually like the 10-spoke wheels, but didn't want the extra firm ride of the Comp-G.

So, if there's anyone in the Chicago area who would like to trade their 10-spoke wheels for my chrome 5-spoke curved wheels, let me know.
  • kevin113kevin113 Posts: 3
    does anyone know what that large dial is used for down next to the gear shift next to the traction control button it looks like it has 4 settings is it for the heads up display thank you
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,563
    Yes.
    - Ray
    Always enjoying being a man of few words . . .
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    they say that that is to control the HUD
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I saw 1 on RT 22 in New Jersey. I'm suprised I already saw 1. Pontiac dealers must be loaded with 03 leftover Grand Prix's.
    I've seen some of the 04's on the lots here in the PDX metro area. They are selling some, but I've yet to spot one during my daily commute. (~ 70 miles round trip) The 2003's seem to be selling off quickly here as they are discounted way down.... like mine. I decided to take a 2003 GT w/ widetrack package, 1SB & 4 way lumbar DS for about $18700(MSRP >$27k) rather than wait for the 2004s. I am going to wait and see how the 2004 shakes out.
This discussion has been closed.