Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Redesign for 2004

Comments

• What happened to the other Dodge Durango threads?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Will the Durango be compact, playing against the Escape and Vitara or will it be midsize, playing against the Explorer and the TrailBlazer? I prefer the latter because Dodge can use the Mitsubishi Outlander and badge engineer it to be a Dodge Small SUV. (Just slap some Dodge badges and add some features and overprice it by 500 dollars)
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Durango will not be compact - it has always been a larger midsize SUV from day 1.
  • Why would they shrink the Durango from it's current size? No, in fact it's going to stay the same as the current version, but with a longer wheelbase for even more interior room. It will look like a cross between the new Ram and the current model, with a slightly more chiseled look. Here's the latest:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5416&n=156,178&sid=178

• The front grill looks really hot on the 2004 but what's up with the BODY??? That is what attracted me most to the Durango-its rugged, truck styling- and they go and ruin it!!! Now it looks like the CARAVAN with a cool grill! AUGH! Thank God I didn't wait for it to come out before making my purchase!
  • I agree with "deadlycurlz". Sure does resemble a mini van. Not sure if I like it. I think that I will stick with my '99 slt.At least it looks Ram tough.
  • I am in the opinion that the new Durango looks like the Ram in the front. And from the front door back looks like a Jeep Grand Cherokee call me crazy but I think they (Dodge) took a styling queue from Jeep for some strange reason.
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    I thought the '98-'03 Durango looked MORE like a Minivan than the '04... but that's just me...
  • Yep, me three. You do know that the tail-lights from the 98-03 Durangos came from the Caravan, don't you? The tail gate looks like it came from it too. Thats the ONE thing that I can't stand, the back of the thing. Everytime I look at it, I say "a Caravan with off road tires."
  • Please!!!!!don't make the new model any smaller. I've been waiting 2 years for a bigger durango,what's going on here guy's? Let's get with the program. Look what's out there, Bigger is better. By the way, the 2004 R/T is sweet!!!!
  • Why make a bigger durango? A few inches here and there maybe, but the market for it is pretty much set for mid-size. I do think that dodge should come out with a new Ram Charger, something based on the Ram to compete with the Expedition/Excursion, and Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban.
  • codygcodyg Posts: 3
    Two years ago I bought a Dodge Ram 4x4 QC. Luv luuv luv it! Dodge has come full circle from ten years ago.

When I saw the first concept photo of the new designed Durango I got REAL excited. It looked like a "new millenium" version of the old Dodge Power Wagon. I downloaded a photo of it. This thing Really rocked! Very Military/Utilitary looking vehicle, stylish and sleek. The Type of truck I envision as a REAL sport utility.

But now it's all changed. I am so pissed at Dodge! They've turned the Durango into a freekin' Mini van!!! Who cares if it's got a Hemi it looks like a piece O' crap! I wouldn't even drive one if I was wearing a ski mask. I am so frustrated by this move. I won't even consider a 2004 Durango now. I think I'll opt for a real SUV.

Comon' Dodge...get your head out...and give us a real SUV!

Seriously

CodyG
  • Where did you see photographic proof of this so called minivan-ute? I'd like to see them if you have a link for it. Thanks.
  • codygcodyg Posts: 3
    The photos from the auto shows are right here at Edmunds.com.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/dodge/durango/100122259/photos.html?

Looks like a mini-van to me. It may be a "truck" with a Hemi and train towing capacity...but it certainly doesn't LOOK like a truck to me.

Just my $.02

CodyG
  • That is sick. It does look like a minivan. I was seriously thinking about replacing my 2000 Durango with a 2004 Durango but not if it looks like that.

Denise
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Dodge's Durango sounds OK. But I don't think SUV buyers want minivan looks. What Dodge really needs is a compact SUV. As I said earlier, rebadge a Outlander and overprice it by 500 bucks. There. A small SUV ready to sell.
  • I still have a hard time seeing it as minivan, it still looks like an SUV to me, however they could lengthen the hood and slope the windshield a bit taller so it isn't leaning back so far. I thought maybe there were pictures of a different version out there. The current Durango looks more like a minivan, especially from the rear. Of course, keep in mind, that is just the concept. A lot of actual production vehicles look nothing like the concept. Dodge definitely could capitalize on the market more if they offered a mini-ute, such as your outlander suggestion, and a brute-ute, such as something based on the Ram. However, the first thing I noticed when the new ram came out was how sloped back the windshield was, could be where Dodge is going now, so its more aerodynamic. But you guys are right. More macho looks needs to be a priority. Now that I think about it, I can't picture that thing climbing a muddy mountain or slaloming through the snow.
  • In regards to your question about moving from a minivan to a durango it would depend on your situation. We had two minvans before changing to the Durango. Our move was based on a couple of reasons. The first one being that our youngest was now able to get in and out on her own without assistance and no longer required a child seat and the second had to do with an accident that my wife was in. She was rear ended by an suv which pushed the rear hatch of our minivan into the back seat (luckily my daughter was in the middle row) and I felt that for safety reasons we had to be on par with everybody else in my area. We also get a lot of snow here and the 4x4 does help. In regards to missing extra room? Not at all, especially with the back row folded down. There is still plent of room, and as a matter of fact I just piled 40 2x4x8's into it. My wife doesn't know that though. I just purchased a Honda Pilot for myself.
This discussion has been closed.