Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota 2004 Redesign

2»

Comments

• usaf52usaf52 Posts: 70
    Received the copy of "Dodge Magazine" for Dodge owners. There's a photo of the 2004 Dakota, and it looks exactly like the 2003 to me. Don't know what, if any, interior changes were made, but the headlights, grill etc seem to be the same. Now, the Durnago was changed to reflect the Ram's appearance and looks pretty good.
  • brianbmbrianbm Posts: 55
    I think the bigger redesign is for the 2005 model year. I assume the same 3.7 and 4.7 engines, and the same transmissions, will be available; the frame will get heavier and be hydroformed (this seems to be the engineering and marketing frame trend du jour and I have no idea whether it really matters or not). What else changes, only the patron saint of truck designers knows. (There probably is one, too .... anyone know?)
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    Apparently no one has seen the '05 Dakota spy photos?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=178&sid=178&a- - - rticle=6279

Um, it's bigger...

What some cannot understand is that the Dakota is already too close to the Ram in pricing, and it was cancelled in the past because it got a bit too big, and was the size of the old Ram, making it compete directly with it's bigger brother.

Engine choices are going to be the 3.7L V6, the 4.7L V8, and there might be a 5.7L V8...for a sort of SRT-8 version. Now, as for a Ford Lightning killer, that's what the Ram SRT-10 is for, more commonly called the "Viper Ram".

As for rotor problems...that's pretty typical for today's cars and trucks.
  • I saw that Dodge magazine too. The 04 Dakota is the same as the 03. The 05 Dakota comes out in the spring of 04. That is why it is called redesigned in 04. I dont think the Dakota is smaller, it is just that the new Durango is larger.
  • brianbmbrianbm Posts: 55
    Since the only surface that isn't masked is the grill and the windshield, I don't think Dodge has given away too much information here. If in fact the vehicle gets a mechanical update while staying the same in size, why, fine - great! That's what I'd like the company to do. Sizewise it's perfect as is.
    My own reservations have to do with mileage and build quality. As far as the rotors go, Jeep seems to be the benchmark for sheer lousy rotors, the Grand Cherokee being the worst. I'll bet Dodge does a lot better with this next version.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    Looks like the Durango is now based on the RAM chassis/truck. The '05 Dakota will be by itself?
    mm
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    The Durango is NOT based on the Ram Chassis!

And yes, the Dakota is now on its own platform.
  • dmoulddmould Posts: 76
    The 2005 is based on a revised version of the current Dakota chassis, not the new Durango chassis.
    The spy shot is an club cab - I hope they keep this configuration, as they got rid of it with the Ram. I do hope they add rear doors to the club cab, however. The club cab is a great place for a dog or child seat, without taking away from bed length as does the quad cab. The 5'quad bed is too short for my snowmobile or slide in camper.
    I also hope they keep the manual transmission/V8 available. A manual with a hemi would be too sweet!!!
  • dako1dako1 Posts: 18
    Dusty: You may recall that I was looking to buy a 3.7 V6 in a new Dakota. Well just for the heck of it I drove a regular cab 4x4 RAM and I fell in love with the truck. I looked around and had a chance to buy one with the 5.9 or the 4.7 V8. Both were used nicely equiped low mileage vehiclesone was black (the 4.7) and the other was granite gray (the 5.9) I loved the gray color and preferred it to the black because black is so hard to keep clean but I currently have the 4.7 in my Dakota and I love the engine so I bought the black one. It does not have the 5 speed auto but rather the older design (I presume)4spd. Anyway I have had it a couple of days now and other than the color, I love the think. Great sounding stock exhaust, just the right amount of growl. I hope I'm not too disappointed in the mileage. I currently get a solid 18 to 19 mpg with the Dakota primarily hwy driving. The RAM has the 3.92 axle which was a concern but when I drove it the tack read about the same rpm at 60 mph that my DAkota shows at the same speed. My conclusion then is that the mpg should be about the same. Am I off on my thinking and what are your thoughts on this rig.
2»
This discussion has been closed.