Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
edited March 10 in Lexus
The 2004 Lexus RX 330 Luxury SUV, due out in 2003 boasts a larger engine and body (thrid-row + more cargo space) than the RX 300.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/lexus/rx330/4drsuv/preview.html

Comments

• lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Two of the Lexus dealers near me have insisted that there will be no third seat, not even as an option.

We'll have to wait and see.
  • I have been researching the 330 and here is what I have found to date:

*3.3l Engine
    *Larger overall design
    *3rd row seat (Possible, see details below)
    *More streamlined styling
    *Possibly more luxury features inside (controls on steering wheel, etc.)

I am close to purchasing a 2002 so I told the dealer they better cough of the scoop on the 2003 model if they want my business. They told me the vehicle will indeed be larger, have the 3.3L engine but will NOT have the 3rd row seat. They also told me it won't be out until April/May 2003.

I have found reference to the 2003 in only 3 places in my web searches. Lexus is really clamping down the details....
  • skiman2skiman2 Posts: 11
    It's official. No 3rd row seat. Go to the RX 300 post in the wed site. A man was involved in a test market review and has seen the new vehicle.
  • aortaaorta Posts: 14
    Lexus will defend its crossover turf with a redesigned RX for 2004. This will be a platform cousin of the Toyota Highlander, and thus distantly related to the just-redesigned Toyota Camry/Lexus ES 300 sedans. However, the SUV is rumored to use a larger new 3.5-liter V6, so badges should read RX 350. The vehicle itself will be larger than RX 300 and even Highlander. Wheelbase reportedly lengthens by up to 6 inches over the current RX to around 109, which would be about 2 inches up on the Toyota and is enough to make room for standard three-row 7-passenger seating. Width allegedly swells 3 inches, again to match MDX. In another change, RX 350 will be built in Canada instead of Japan like RX 300. That's all we know now, but keep checking back for further info.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20870.htm

• skiman2skiman2 Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when orders will be taken? I hear Dec./Jan for April delivery from Canada.

I'm anxious to get more details. Currently own a RX 300 and love it. Want to buy a second for my wife
  • I was at the dealer yesterday spoke to a manager who has seen photos of the new 330. He said it is much more streamlined than the 300 and will make the 300 look "dated".

Also was told the 300 will have side curtain airbags, NO 3rd ROW SEAT, and radio controls on the steering wheel.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Posts: 380
    Lexus want totally NUTS and added BOTH an RX330 and RX350?

One would replace the RX 300 and the other would be a "line extension" like BMW's X5 with 3. 4.4 & 4.6 engines AND coming soon with added lenght & third seat.

Gee with all the trucks at Toyota store and the new GX470 coming to Lexus, Toyota/Lexus will soon have more trucks than GMC :)
  • krazyhopzkrazyhopz Posts: 17
    I wonder are they considering these upgrades?

1. Black paint needs clear coat just like other colors
    2. Lose the timing belt, get a chain it lasts longer.
    3. Put "grown-up" wheels and tires on it. The "doughnuts" just don't cut it.
    4. If no wheel and tire upgrade is in the plan, design the suspension so after-market parts have some chance of fitting the vehicle.
    5. Make the seats more firm, they are way too soft.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Based on the spy photo, the new RX looks to have a Matrix-style roofline.
  • whothemanwhotheman Posts: 169
    for the RX to move upward. What is interesting is that Lexus won't put more HP into their V8. 230 just isn't competitive anymore. And it limits the amount of power the RX can have. The RX can't have more power than the more expensive GX, so I'm interested in seeing how Lexus deals with this future problem. The LX is 70-100HP below it's competition. People buy HP! This problem makes a high-performance RX unlikely, until they address the rest of the SUV lineup with more juice.
    While HP is important, it's not everything. If that were the case, the Infiniti Q45 would be the best selling big luxury sedan instead of one of the worst.

The Mercedes E320 year after year is the best selling car in its class, and it only has around 220 HP. And that will not change with the all-new 2003 redesign.

Yes, HP matters. But so do a lot of other things. I think with the RX it has a lot to do with style and looks.
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    lenscap,
    you're right in that HP does not determine how well a car will sell, but whotheman has a valid point also. The current RX300 already boasts 220HP so it stands to reason the increase in displacement for the new RX330 will result in more HP. Given that the current gap between the iForce V8 and the RX's V6 is only a few ponies, I see how there could be a problem with the V6 gaining too many horses. Then again, I could be totally wrong. The Lexus SC, GS, and LS 430's grew in engine size, but not HP (albeit they gained more torque). We'll have to wait and see.
    have at least 240HP (soon to be more in the MDX), and go up to 300HP. Lexus knows they need more power, that where the larger engine is coming in. How will they increase RX power with the V8 so low on power, without hurting sales of the higher-margin GX470? Hopefully, in 2004, Lexus will give the V8 a 40-50HP boost to rid the perceived problem in status and value.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Has anyone out there bought a used luxury car such as Audi, Cadillac or Lexus recently?
    If so, and if you're willing to talk about it with a major daily newspaper, please send your vehicle and contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 31. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ascarissascariss Posts: 11
    I think since the GS470 is coming out with a third seat, the planned 3rd seat for thr RX330 has been cut and the car will only have 2 rows
    There was never any plan for a third seat. The vehicle will barely be bigger than the current RX.

The redesigned RX was from day 1 meant to have only two rows of seats.
    It would kill sales of the GX470 if it had three rows of seats. In order for the GX to have success, it must have a notable advantage over the RX, besides the underboosted V8.
  • cadman88cadman88 Posts: 64
    I think that the new RX needs to have at least 250 hp. Considering the Cadillac SRX will have 250 base hp with a optional V8 making 315-330hp the RX will be way underpowered.
    Until......Lexus puts more juice in the V8 SUV's, which won't happen until 2005 (model year).

The good news is 220HP is enough to sell with, and RX300 sales haven't slowed, still outselling MDX 2 to 1.

The new redesign will sell like crazy for the first year, or two. Then more power will come.

Lexus wants the GX470 to do well it's first year, so any power gains in the RX must be modest, for now.
  • j21210j21210 Posts: 3
    Just purchased a new Lexus 2002 RX Coach from Lexus of Anapolis and the transmission died within two weeks...died, as is D-I-E-D!!
    They want simply to replace the transmission...no apology...not "how can we make you happy,"...
    NO luxury Lexus Customer service.

Nightmare in Baltimore
    Steve
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    And your base complaint is ????
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    I hate to sound flippant, but this is generally how warranties work -- something breaks, they fix it at no cost, end of transaction.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I agree with wwest and kirstie. The warranty doesn't say ... "if anything breaks on your car in the first year or 12,000 miles instead of replacing the defective part, we'll just give you a whole new car......" yeah, right!
  • Now, if your transmission breaks, and a few other things break, and the car stalls a few times... then it's worth a buyback. Have faith in Lexus quality.. I'm sure that's going to be the worst it gets.
  • Due to extraneous circumstances it looks like our 2002 RX purchase will now have to be put off till late 2002 or early 2003.

In an attempt to placate ourselves, we also rationalized that the delay could be good because we'd most likely also be able to see real pictures of the new 2004 model by then to compare.

From what we understand, the 2003 model year is only going to run till about April. At that point the new 2004 is supposed to come out as a mid-year replacement --- is that correct? That would give the RX a 5-year run, typical of Toyota, as it was mid-year introduction in 1998.

This could make for some very good deals on the "old" (current) RX as dealers try to clear space for the replacement sometime in early 2003.

Does this make any sense?
  • airmaticairmatic Posts: 54
    I am a happy owner of a 2002 RX300, in a beautiful black color. After being a disgusted owner of a 2002 Benz S430, i am trying to stick to lexus now. I love my RX so much, i want to get another one, (i will keep the original RX, and benz). But, i have heard that there will be the 2003 RX330. My local dealer has offered me an excelent deal (not coach ed.), and i dont know whether to accept it, or wait for the new RX330. The problem with owning a first-year model is bugs. I owned a 1998 mL30, and it was a disaster. Advice is appreciated.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Sounds like you have some nice cars! If you can wait for the new RX, then do so. I'm sure you won't get a great deal on it as you would now. However, it will be a redesigned model with a more powerful engine. But if you own a new S430, I wouldn't worry to much about a few thousand dollars. Lexus is pretty good with avoiding initial model problems, even though it can happen as it can to any auto manufacturer.
  • airmaticairmatic Posts: 54
    Thanks for the advice. I think that I am going to risk it, and try to wait for the new RX330. Does this mean that there will be no more RX300's (to be called RX330?). I know that Lexus makes wonderful cars with excelent reliability (compared to benz!), and I don't recall any problem with first year ones. The only problem that I had with the the current RX is the odd dashboard-styling. It reminded me of some old minivans how you can crawl easily from the passenger seat to the driver without reaching over the center.
This discussion has been closed.