Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Canyon

Comments

• 10% Ethanol, 4X4 crew cab, getting about 17-18 city and over 20 on the highway.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    ...my 2005 Z71 SLE, and have only two issues. First, the OEM tires were worse than junk. The dealer said GM was looking at options to fix the problem, but nothing ever came of it. I replaced them initially with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter, and upgraded to 16" Firestone Destination LEs for the summer. Tire problems gone.

The second issue is wind noise in the cab. Not an air leak, but turbulance like noise at the rear pillar of the cab. Many have mentioned it on this forum, and some have had cab/bed alignment issues which contributed to it. My cab and bed were "square" to each other, however I recently loosened the bolts and was able to shift the bed about 0.050-.060" closer to the cab, and close up the gap. That helped a LITTLE, however it's still NOISY, and getting really annoying, as I've driven this truck more than originally anticipated. My previous truck, a 97 S-10 was FAR quieter.

On the plus side, the ride is good, the gas mileage decent, and other than a defective dome light switch, it's been trouble free.
  • gsp9gsp9 Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Canyon Crew Cab 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it. Has anyone had any luck in GM buying their truck back? I've had mine for 6 months now and it has had several problems both major and minor. As of right now, it is in to have the valvetrain and cylinder head replaced. The third week I owned it the internal clutch and transmission went. Plus I have had electrical problems and the usual tire promlems due to the General tires. All totaled it has been in the shop for about 3 weeks out of 6 months.
  • greetings all...just found this forum...i have an 04 canyon and have read many of the posts here. the little truck has excellent pickup, but it's had a few snags..like
    a reduced engine power display that occured 4 times....detroit finally had them replace the trottle body and that fixed that...but the gas mileage absolutely SUCKS.
    i want an older-but-hardly used 2003 S10 with four cylinder and 5 speed back....badly.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the body of the canyons aren't exactly centered on the frames? passenger side tires protrude 1 inch to the outside; i have it on decent authority that GM acknowledges this...check it out..YMMV,
    but all i've seen were like this. wonder if this has anything to do with the rough ride?

sarge
  • I have an '04 gmc canyon crew cab sle 4x4 with 38,000 miles. I have had continuous check engine lights come on and the dealer said that they were misfires. After a half dozen or so, they then said that it was a clogged injector and that they cleaned the fuel system. Two say's later it was back in, this time they said they were going to replace the fuel injectors. They drove the vehicle for 250 miles with no light coming on. 75 miles later it was back on. Now they say that they did a leak down test and say that the exhaust valve spings need to be replaced. After reading about the valve train problems and engine replacements, I am printing these problems and showing them to my dealer. Cut your losses and sell, or if your looking at the canyon, don't buy, as you can tell, most of these messages are not good.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I am not a General tire fan, at all. When I bought my 05 in June, I would not buy it until I took it on the interstate and tried driving it at 70 to 80 to see how the tires were balanced. They are perfectly smooth. I expected the worst but they have been good tires. I had had them before on a previous truck and they were horrible. Don't be put off by them. Take it out, however, and push it to interstate speeds; up to 80 and check them out before buying.
  • I purchased a new 2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 2WD with 5 cylinder in March 2005.
    I have had only 2 problems with it so far after 36,200 miles. First problem that appeared after 12,000 miles was from tires that were feathering around the edges, and I took it to the dealer. They incorrectly said that it needed a front end alignment. This did not fix the problem. Later, I took it to my trusted mechanic, and he said that the problem was caused by the tires not being balanced correctly. Second problem appeared after about 6 months and 20,000 miles. It was a squeaking noise that occurred when the fan was spinning. The dealer replaced the fan motor because the bearings were bad. They actually had the part in stock which surprised me since this is not something that is normally stocked which leads me to believe that it is a common problem. Other than these two issues, the truck has ran flawlessly. In fact, I bought a new 2005 Honda Odyssey EX in May 2005, and it has had way more problems than the Canyon which really surprised me. I plan on trading in the Odyssey in 2 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. But, I plan on keeping the Canyon until the doors fall off. It is very handy for towing a boat and trips to Lowe's and Costco--for oversized items and bags of mulch. The truck is a little noisy when accelerating briskly but the ride is quiet and refined once it is at freeway speed. The factory General tires suck. They have no traction on wet pavement and corner poorly. Overall, happy medium between hauling/towing and fuel efficiency for a truck--21 to 22 fwy and 17 to 18 city. This is at about 2000 ft above sea level.
  • "I have an 05 Canyon Crew Cab 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it. Has anyone had any luck in GM buying their truck back? I've had mine for 6 months now and it has had several problems both major and minor. As of right now, it is in to have the valvetrain and cylinder head replaced. The third week I owned it the internal clutch and transmission went. Plus I have had electrical problems and the usual tire promlems due to the General tires. All totaled it has been in the shop for about 3 weeks out of 6 months. "

Well I rest my case. Your experience is exactly one of those I read too often on here, and too close to my own experience with American cars the last 20 years. I'm not mad at the world and I'm not gonna "get out" of the US. It wasn't my choice to be borned here. If they'd let me immigrate to NZ or AU I would... but they don't want poor dumb americans :-)

And most of the 52 vehicles I've owned were GM products. I've had 10 Corvettes, 2 GTOs, 2 442s, 5 ElCaminos, 3 Silverados, 2 Tahoes, and I won't bore u with the rest of the list. I even sold Chevrolets from 71-74. It's not like I don't have experience in what I'm saying. Most of what I've owned the last 20 years have been Hondas and Toyotas, but I test the water every so often and buy another american vehicle, only to be disappointed. I don't keep cars 200K miles, because when someone comes out with something new and fun (which is what they do to get you to buy a new car), I'm in line to buy it.

And my 6 cylinder Envoy got 22 MPG consistently at 80 MPH, and one 300 mile trip I got 26 MPG... and one 60 mile trip I got 28 MPG... so why would I want a 5 cylinder? I actually liked the vehicle, but every month GM kept giving another $1000 rebate which just furthered my already bad resale value... and it was approaching the end of the 3 year warranty... and the dash had already been disassembled twice for HVAC problems... and I wasn't gonna own it out of warranty. I had it 30 months and 22K miles, and sold it for $10,000 less than I paid for it (not counting tax, license, etc.) and felt lucky.

My nephew just bought a new (leftover) 2005 Canyon with the I5... couldn't get rid of his 2001 Deville any other way but to trade it in (I won't bore you with the list of problems that made him get rid of it). I haven't taught that kid anything ;)
  • granola1granola1 Posts: 1
    GM ups HP and TQ on the 2007 Cols and Cans from 220 to 235 and 225 to 260 respectively....possibly just a revised software...any confirms, as no physical changes to I-5's was mentioned.
    Has anyone had a problem with their GMC Canyon windshield? I have an 05 and I noticed tonight graininess in the windshield. It looks like grains of sand in the windshield. I first thought it was dirty and tried to wash it with the windshield fluid. Then I thought something had been sprayed on it, but not so. It feels smooth to the touch.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    Where'd you read the news about the HP increase for 2007? I'd read before that the Colorado/Canyon was due a redesign in 2009; this HP increase strikes me as stopgap measure to maintain/increase momentum for the vehicles until the 2009s arrive.
  • chinntchinnt Posts: 2
    Couldn't wait, so I added a K&N intake and a Magnaflow catback exhaust so far...on order is a 2/3 lowering kit, 18" wheels, and belltech sway bar....

2005 regular cab SLE I-5
  • fatboy23fatboy23 Posts: 8
    wawawa, I had 53 cars, someone crown me king of the forum. I also got 28MPG out of a trailblazer, down hill with a tail wind, drafting a semi. But who needs those facts when I am spinning my stats.
  • Well, my vehicle is still in the shop!!! 10 of the last 11 weeks!!! The shop has replaced the injectors, computer, o2 sensor twice, exhaust valve springs, 2 coils for the #2 and #5 cylinders not knowing each time if that would fix the problem. They are now replacing the head as the valve seats are eroding in the #2 & #5 cyl! GM has put out a service bulletin stating that if there is a p300 misfire code in the #2 and #5 cylinders (vehicle is running lean), it's a good chance that this head replacement should fix the problem, if not, they said that they are going to replace the engine. If that doesn't work, well, they don't have an answer for that...what?! :confuse:
    I would go lemon law on this. It will not be the same after they have done that much to it.
  • I can't. I fall within the 2 year part but not the 18,000 mile portion of the lemon law. Hopefully this works or an engine is next! After that, who knows. Either way I will be back on to let this forum know.
  • padfam2padfam2 Posts: 1
    I have a 04 crewcab canyon Z71 4wd. Does anybody know if they are fixing the a/c on these things? ive got a blk and blk and I bake! The a/c blows cold then warm cycling every couple of minutes Ive been told thats normal at the dealership. My mpg is around 13 I have the (5)cyl.auto)is this normal ? I traded in a envoy, that was a mistake this thing has no power!
  • Not sure where I read that for 2K7 GM is uping the 3.5 to 3.7 to give it more hp and torque.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    The AC system on the Canyon/Colorado was/is a new system that used less than a pound of refrigerant. It has a hard time being efficient enough when the temps go up. I had (just sold) a 2004 crew cab and the AC seemed adequate for the most part(NW), but once it was into the 80's I was running it full. AS far as I know GM has no "fix".
    I never had much trouble with it cycling cold to warm.... mostly it just couldn't put out enough cold air to keep everyone comfortable - back seat passengers did stay warm.
    I got much better mileage than that. Typically 16-19 to and from work and 21-24 on the hwy consistently.
  • Alright, I finally got my truck back from the dealer and have driven it for a month with no check engine light. The head replacement seems to have worked.
    For the person with the a/c problem, I have not had that bad of a problem, but it could be colder. The gas mileage is around the 17-18 city and around a solid 20 for the hwy. If the deals start coming for larger trucks, I may lease a Ford Crew for less than my truck. Still don't trust the Canyon.
This discussion has been closed.