Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner - 2003

Comments

• deloiddeloid Posts: 18
    Does the 3003 show the outside temperature somewhere?? I know it can come with the mirror/compass but it'll drive me nuts not to know the outdoor temps as well.

deloid
  • Yes, it's in the central console in the dash.
  • jbwhjbwh Posts: 8
    In contrast to kbm's comments about the headroom (not trying to start a fight, just different experience); I have found the headroom in my new 2003 Sport Edition to be much better than either the X5 or MDX. I am 6'-6" tall, and fitting into a vehicle is my first test before i'll even bother to take it for a test drive. Most vehicles don't pass this test for me, and the MDX and X5 both had my head bent over just to sit in them with the seat adjusted for max available height. In the 'runner my hair rubs the roof (like all other vehicles except for the full-size Sequoia/Suburban style) but I can sit upright. The only way I could fit in the MDX with my neck straight was with the seat tilted so far back I couldn't reach the wheel. Having the SR5 Sport instead of the Limited does give me an additional ~1" of headroom because the manual seat adjusts lower than the power seat, but even the limited I drove had more headroom than the other two.
    My two cents.
  • i had exactly the same experience. not really worth using in my opinion. i actually try to get on the accelerator as quickly as possible going uphill to avoid having that kick in. it makes an alarming noise and even seems to interfere with the acceleration if it is activated.
  • deloiddeloid Posts: 18
    I'll send them feedback. I actually think their design is great. I was a previous Jeep GC owner and as I read these messages I wonder if most of the dislikes come from previous 4 runner owners who miss the familiar look? That would be natural and expected. Hey! .....Who moved my cheese?

deloid
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    OK, I tried it on my SR5 this weekend. I went up a steep hill to check out some cabins, I stopped the truck by using the brake then moved my foot from the brake pedal, the truck started to roll backward, I then heard a loud noise and the truck stopped. The problem was I forgot to time how long it would hold the truck in position, but it seems to work.

SV
  • jbwhjbwh Posts: 8
    I too will send my positive feedback to Toyota. When I heard that there would be a fourth generation of the 4Runner with a V8, I was really hoping they would break the mold and change everything. They did and I bought one. If it had just been another tweak of the second generation (like the third gen was) I would have been disappointed and kept my 1990. (Most non-Toyota people can't tell the difference between a second and third generation 4Runner without it being pointed out to them).

I live in the land of gravel being used on the roads for traction in winter, and inconsiderate jerks who swing their doors into the vehicle parked next to them, so I like the plastic cladding. I like the new dash & gauges & controls - a refreshing change from the bland. (And my wife can't see the speedometer from the passenger seat so she can't tell how fast we're going...)

It is a great new machine.

John
  • Things are unfolding as many people thought... to some extent.

1-Disgruntled existing 4Runner owner who want to upgrade
    2-Excited new customers moving over from other brands (mainly JGC who was their prime target according to some Toyota folks I've talked to)

I imagine that it might feel the same way when your favorite musician or poet turns out commercial with crowd-pleasing pop songs that make the charts between Michael Bolton and Britney Spears......

To many of us, Toyota had a great product with the 3rd gen that only needed more power and an updated interior. That was simple.

They just bent to market pressure and created an urban toy that would sell well to the general market.

"Oh my gosh.. a speed bump... let's put this thing in 4WD if we want to make sure we can cross this thing and the next poodle of water... Hang on"

Unfortunate.
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    You folks make it sound like you can't take this new 4runner off-road. I certainly hope you are wrong about that. I traded in my Xterra for the new 4Runner with the intent of continuing to go off-road. Also, I really don't mind the plastic, it seems to protect the vehicle pretty well.

I do have one problem. I can't clear the garage door when I open the hatch. Is there any way to prevent the hatch from extending all the way?

SV
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    Those of you who HATE the body clading on the SR5 are in for a surprise. While driving on the freeway in SoCal (22 west @ Garden Grove) I saw a 4Runner SR5 with BODY COLORED clading. It did not have any lic plates. I was floored to see it. I think the car belonged to Toyota of Garden Grove. It was light blue in color and looked very sharp. It did not have the rear hatch spoiler. At first I thought it was a Limited, then I looked at the front left fender/door (I do not remember which) and I saw SR5. I think this is worth looking into. I am pretty sure that it was an SR5.
  • I have heard of a few dealers painting the cladding themselves.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    from a different thread is that Toyota is changing the cladding on SR5s to be body-colored with vehicles widely available in 90 days! And this report was from a dealer!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Is that set in stone from Toyota Central itself? Generally dealers can't get their info straight on anything.
  • I had mentioned this on another thread - can't remember which. But, yes my good friend is a Toyota dealer and his rep told him that body colored cladding would be offered in 90 days. There was a dealer/Toyota meeting in Cleveland recently, at which the topic came up. Evidently, the product isn't moving as intended. Personally, I wasn't diggin the new model all that much, but it is growing on me - don't mean to sound like I'm caving. A limited in the Titanium Silver is a nice look. I drove a Limited and it was extremely smooth and very fun to drive, which I think helped to change my opinion. That torque makes all the difference. I have an 01' Highlander that I'd like to trade in next year. V6 will be here by January. I'm dumbfounded as to why Toyota won't give you the 5 speed gear box with the V6. Doesn't it make sense? The new Volvo SUV is just the opposite - the larger engine gets a 4 speed and the smaller engine gets the 5 speed.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    the larger engine gets the 4-spd because the new specially designed 5-spd can't handle the torque of the larger engine, or something like that. Just one more case of the new globalism - getting your parts from all over, so that some only fit some configurations.

As for me, I wish they still offered the 5 speed MANUAL in the new 4Runners. Last year you could get that I think was '99 or so.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    Per articles, the 5-speed won't fit with the straight 6 motor in the engine compartment, as built now.
  • I have been too a couple of toyota dealerships and have yet to see a 4Runner with out a sunroof. Out of about 20 4Runners, mostly LTD but some SR5, all had sunroof. I need to sit in one without b/c I hit the top of my head on the roof. Surprisingly it is about the same in the Highlander, but marginally better in the RAV4, both with sunroof.

Who knows.
  • Iv'e seen a couple without sunroof. All of them were SR5's.
  • WE'RE IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A 2003 LIMITED
    IN TITANIUM..EACH TIME ONE IS DELIVERED TO THE DEALERSHIP, THERE'S A PAINT FLAW ON
    THE HOOD!! WE'VE WAITED FOR 4 OF THEM TO COME INTO
    THE DEALER'S LOT AND EACH TIME THERE WAS SOMETHING
    WRONG WITH THE PAINT..IT'S ONLY WITH THE TITANIUM.
    OTHER DEALERS IN OUR AREA ARE HAVING THE SAME
    PROBLEM!! THIS IS THE ONLY COLOR I PREFER, TOO!
    HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED? IT'S PRETTY FRUSTRATING!
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    Michelle: See my reply on the other New Toyota 2003 4Runner discussion.

-Karl
This discussion has been closed.