Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner - 2003

Comments

• Is it still possible to pick up an '02 for cheap?

I'm thinking like 26-29K for a fully loaded 2002 SR5 Sport??? Any thoughts?
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    I think you can get a fully-loaded SR5 Sport for around $30-31 OUT THE DOOR...however, selection is few and you have to haggle a lot!
  • ...when you go to the all wheel drive you eliminate driver error in the use of all that torgue!
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Posts: 193
    - read the main board; I have a lot of posts over the last 3 months about the pros and cons of '02 pricing, with actual numbers. Worth it to read through the few hundred posts - let us know what you decide to do?
  • bulychbulych Posts: 10
    according to my source it appears that the towing capacity of the new v6 is 5000#.my question is why has the towing capacity not increased when the hp has increased 34% and the torque by 30% over the old 4runners.could someone provide an explaination.i would like to purchase a v6 but the towing capacity is too low
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    It is called Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Just because a vehicle can tow 8,000 pounds doesn't mean that the brakes can stop that much weight!
  • Believe it or not, the only reason why the towing capacity is 5,000 pounds is because of the spare tire. They are supposed to design a new trailer hitch wich will be attach to the frame so the truck can tow more than 5,000 pounds. But for now, with the spare tire under the truck, they cannot. (Source: Toyota University)
    My hitch for my '02 is attached to the frame. All hitches should attach to the frame! Spare tire should NOT affect anything.

I don't understand that.
  • What a waste of all that 8 cyl torque to only be rated for 5k lb towing capacity? Hitch attachment sounds like tying a string to end of a heavy rope. In some ways the way this 4runner is being rolled out (8cyl with 4wd only buy only limited towing cap) it seems like the Sequoia is going to be a better value. Wonder where the Sport version pricing really comes in.
  • My Toyota guy called me today to let me know that they'll be getting their first 2003 4Runners in on Thursday, and that he'll call me "as soon as they hit the ground!" I can't wait to FINALLY get to test drive one!!!
  • Strange about the hitch issue...

Here's a quote from Truck Trend about it:

"The full-length boxed section frame rails are connected with nine fully welded crossmembers, while a Class III tow-hitch receiver is built into the rear-frame crossmember."

So, where is that quote from Toyota University? I'm curious to get to the bottom of this.
  • I would like to hear some thoughts regarding the 2003 4runner vs GMC Envoy. I am reluctant to buy an Envoy due to the American car unreliability but it strikes me that with the 4runner Limited coming in around $34k-ish, a comparably equipped Envoy is probably going to go for $29ish. This assumes $4k off the Envoy MSRP and little off the 4runner. The Envoy may not be as wirey as the 4runner but excellent towing, nice features. Just looking for thoughts I know very few have driven the 4runner yet.
  • The 4Runner Limited is more likely to be in the 40k range. Like many others I have not seen the new 4Runner but I went to see the Envoy out of curiosity two weeks ago.

It looked very cheap, GM quality interior and even the demo in the showroom had imperfections like glue smudge (that was holding a molding).
    It also felt very cheap making you wonder if it will hold up the duration of the lease.

I did not even bother to do a test drive.

Obviously the 4Runner will be more expensive than the Envoy, but if you have that kind of money to put on a SUV do not hesitate and go with the 4Runner Limited. It will be worth the extra bucks.
  • ok maybe Envoy sacrifices some quality but $40k vs $30k can buy alot of extended warranty. jeez for $40k you could get a pretty nice Sequoia, at least leather seats and alot of trimmings.
  • If you do any off-roading at all, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE ENVOY! It's rocker and front bumper height and ground clearance don't compare to the new 4Runner. And it doesn't even have tow hooks! The Trailblazer is the only one of the "triplets" to have tow hooks.

I was all set to trade my '98 Jimmy in for an Envoy when they first came out, but I was really disappointed with the lack of attention to off-roading. I would never take one on any trail over a "2" rating. My dad loves his, but he doesn't do any rough 4-wheelin'.

Also, the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada triplets are plagued with electronic issues. My dad's Envoy, my uncle's Trailblazer, and a friend's Trailblazer have all had to go back for electronic issues, like the engine dying when pulling out into traffic, and all of the gauges lighting up, then shutting down, for no apparent reason. Also, there were issues with the seats and side mirrors not functioning properly. Supposedly, it was a computer glitch issue that's been resolved with an upgrade to the on-board software, which you can get taken care of at the dealership, but my uncle isn't convinced it's taken care of all of his problems. He's wishing now that he would have waited for the new 4Runner, not only because of the electronic problems, but because he wishes he had more clearance too.

According to one of the posts about pricing on the Limited, you should be able to get a 4x4 with some extra goodies on it for around $35K. My Toyota guy has confirmed that as well. I think it's worth a little more $ to get a lot more truck.
  • While I got to see the 12 new 4Runners at the sales seminar at the Sky Harbor Marriott in Phoenix, I didn't get to drive one. But I will tomorrow! My Toyota sales guy called again today to tell me they'll be getting 2; one to sell and one for demos. I'll be back here to share my feedback.

–TB
    I think you probably can get a 4Runner cheaper than $40K if you went with 2wd.

If you are BUYING, than $10K is not that big of a difference, considering the resale value, time spent at dealerships, etc. If you were leasing, then it may be different.

Towing is better in Envoy for sure. Nice features?? The new 4Runner has MANY nice features, some of them better than Envoy's.
  • if you buy the Envoy for the money factor, you are following the footsteps of a lot of GM owners here in this forum...

keep coming back to the toyota forum hoping people say something bad about the 4runner, once you see some problems, you will try to post some more to prove that people are crazy paying extra for nothing, despite the fact that you are the one who are struggling.
  • I am really just trying to make a purchase decision as my 94 Explorer is fading and lacks the towing power I need now. My sense is that I will be better off with a Toyota (Sequoia or 4runner) over a GM over the 10 years I typically keep my vehicles. It looks like the Envoy thread is really not too happy. It will be interesting to see if the towing of the 4runner compares to the Envoy since that is my biggest need. I am not an offroader except with some tricky boat ramps. I guess the 5k limitation (with such an awesome V8) and some of the comments here have me a bit squeamish about the 4runner's capabilities. Maybe towing was a secondary factor. We'll see in the next few months.
  • Wonder why the GX 470 (rich sister to 4runner) is rated for 6500 lbs while the 4runner is rated for 5000 lbs? It sure would be nice to get a Toyota product person to answer that one. Maybe there is nothing different and it's a bit of a marketing gimmick for the higher price tag. The following is from Edmunds own review...

"The GX 470 is powered by a double-overhead-cam 4.7-liter V8 that generates 235 horsepower and 320 pound-feet of torque, producing 80 percent of its peak torque at just 1,100 rpm. (This power will no doubt be especially valuable to those who plan on using the ute for towing. It's capable of hauling up to 6,500 pounds when outfitted with an optional towing package.) The GX 470 is a Low Emissions Vehicle, and its power is governed by a five-speed automatic tranny."
This discussion has been closed.