Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can anyone help me with my 2000 GMC Jimmy?

kjh7691kjh7691 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in GMC
Can anyone help me with this problem with my 2000 GMC Jimmy 4x4.

I have been reading all these posts and all seem to have similar symptoms to my problem. This car has drained the life out of me. I am just looking to make it on a trip home feeling safe!

I have this clunking noise, most commonly backing out of the driveway. I just had the Idler and Pitman arms replaced and the front wheel bearings. Those didn't help the problem.

Also when I have the foot on the break or the car is in park, turning the wheel either way, completely, becomes a workout. It feels like something is impeding the range I can turn the wheel only at a stand still.

Anyone have any ideas? Clunk as is bad going over bumps, train tracks, whatever.

Answers

• Options
    rusty_cagerusty_cage Member Posts: 28
    I had this issue with a GMC small suv......it turned out to be the rubber bushing around the top of the strut where it comes through the body of you car. check it out and see it sounds exactly like the one I had. and even when I had it fixed it didn't last forever. I have after a few bad experiences gotten away from dealing with small GMC suv . all seem to have issues
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    A 2004 Jimmy doesn't have struts, it is a SALA (short arm, long arm) front suspension.

As far as the noise goes, I could guess a list of things, what you need to know is what the problem is and that means someone with experience is going to have to first hear the noise while driving the car and then inspect the front end to even have a chance to know what is going on. You could easily have worn sway bar links and bushings. Worn control arm bushings, ball joints, caliper slide bushings. For that matter maybe the noise doesn't have anything to do with the front suspension. Without actually checking this nobody would really know.
  • Options
    rusty_cagerusty_cage Member Posts: 28
    I said struts for general information. I based my answer on a personal experience which the description seemed ro be at least a valid observation. Of course for a true diagnosis a certified mechanic ahould should see and hear it. I believe people here would not expect an exact diagnosis over the net but instead like to know what others may jave experienced
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    I have found that people take advice like this and they act on it because of a misguided belief that auto repair is so simple that all they have to do is report a symptom and someone will know what is wrong by that alone. You can say anything you want about your experience, mine includes someone taking advice that is completely wrong, and they start calling different shops for estimates based on bad information. How in the world is that supposed to help anybody? There is a response to one of the other questions for a drivability issue that goes straight to cleaning the injectors. With no testing being done to prove that is really necessary that would amount to a rip-off,, wallet flush.