Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX

Comments

• The tires probably contributed to the lack of roadholding. My Accord sticks like glue with the change of tires that I put on it. The original Bridgestones felt as if they had WD40 sprayed on the tread and marshmellows for sidewalls. Don't the TSX's have the same tires people complain about that are on the RSX's.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "I 'd be interested to hear your impressions of its driving dynamics as compared to the TSX."

Thanks for asking Johnny, I'll try to keep this in the context of a TSX discussion...

First of all, I really think the TSX is closer in spirit to my '88 325is (E30) than the current BMW 3-series. In my opinion, the TSX has a light on its feet, tossable feeling that is somewhat lost on the more solid and heavy-feeling modern BMW's.

The TSX is obviously more refined than my E30. The ride is smoother and quieter, the materials are of much higher quality, and the driving experience is much more refined and relaxed in the TSX. The stereo is much better, and of course, I need not mention the TSX's safety features which are missing on my E30 (airbags, traction control, etc.). Unfortunately, the price you pay for all that comfort and safety is excess weight and a comparatively muted driving experience.

By modern standards, my E30 is a relatively noisy, harsh-riding, primitive car. The interior plastics are cheap, the doors are tinny, and the cockpit is much smaller (the E30 is about the same size as an RSX). The front seats are extremely comfortable, adjustable, and supportive, but the steering wheel doesn't tilt or telescope. I love the way the E30 looks, and I think it has timeless lines that will look good for decades to come. With a nice coat of wax, it definitely turns more heads and starts more conversations than my TSX ever did.

But where my E30 really shines (and the main reason why I got one) is in its powertrain and driving dynamics. The balance is absolutely neutral - settle the car and enter a sweeper, and you can play with the rear end all the way through. Your right foot is like the conductor of an orchestra, and each section responds individually to every subtle direction you give it. You can almost feel each tire contact patch through the steering wheel and the seat of your pants, yet the car never gets upset over rough roads - even over mid-corner bumps and off-camber elevation changes. The I-6 engine has good power (comparable to the TSX) and the song it sings is just as sweet (but in a different way) - and the very Italian sounding exhaust note (probably due in part to 18 years of internal erosion, ha ha) reminds me of my much missed Alfa Romeo. I love the sound of it at WOT above 4000 RPM. The car is perfectly suited for driving school duty for an intermediate driver like me because steering, throttle and brake inputs are so direct. You get immediate feedback (positive and negative) yet it's forgiving enough to keep you out of trouble.

It's simply a blast to drive and a joy to own.
  • heejoman, I think what you experienced can definitely be traced to the OEM tires, which are nothing more than all season affairs not especially suited for exceptional grip. By all accounts, shoeing the TSX with summer tires transforms the car.

I should clarify: the TSX is a great handling SEDAN. I think it's a bit unfair to compare it to a relatively light coupe like the 'Lude. That car will almost always win the handling wars due physics alone.

BMW is still the standard for sharp-handling sedans, and I'm not sure how the 325i you drove was equipped, but most Bimmers come right off the lot with higher performance tires than the TSX. BMW's also have the advantage of RWD.

I've owned Accords, too, and I feel like the TSX kills the Accord in handling, with both being in stock form of course. However, this has been argued ad nauseum here and in other forums, and some believe the Accord is equal to the TSX in handling. YMMV.

Not sure what you mean by "bubbly car."

Better tires and one $115 upgrade can bring the TSX to the next level. That upgrade is a thicker aftermarket anti-sway bar. It would control the fishtailing you mentioned an lessen body roll. A-Spec suspension bits ($600) would raise the bar even higher.

The TSX chassis has great potential. A couple of minor tweaks really open it up. Check some other sites for confirmation and video representation of what I claim.

:shades:
  • Your right foot is like the conductor of an orchestra, and each section responds individually to every subtle direction you give it.

NICE! I think R&T is hiring! :P

First of all, I really think the TSX is closer in spirit to my '88 325is (E30) than the current BMW 3-series. In my opinion, the TSX has a light on its feet, tossable feeling that is somewhat lost on the more solid and heavy-feeling modern BMW's.

Pretty good tribute to the TSX, I'd say.

I love the way the E30 looks, and I think it has timeless lines that will look good for decades to come. With a nice coat of wax, it definitely turns more heads and starts more conversations than my TSX ever did.

I'm repeating myself here, but I agree 100%. The E30 has the distinct advantage of looking very unlike 90% of the cars out there today. I'm not a huge fan of the trend towards higher beltlines; I prefer the E30's look much better.

Thanks for the reply.
  • notjafonotjafo Posts: 63
    I'm a '95 Integra driver and I've been looking at the TSX and the TL as my next 4dr car, but the new Accord EX sedan 6cyl 6spd MT seems to be an interesting alternative to the TSX given it has more torque, more hp, and does it on regular gas at the same price. I did a search of the site and haven't seen this discussed. Have I missed it? Any thoughts?
  • waydewayde Posts: 198
    I haven't seen anything on this site, but there is a Honda enthusiast web site that has had this topic discussed several times.
    It is rather interesting to me also as I have the same situation - weighing the pros/cons of each vehicle since they are both around the same price.
    TSX - light, nimble, longer warranty, sportier handling, clean styling inside and out, bluetooth for 2006 are some pros. Cons - premium fuel, lack of torque.
    AV6 - power, torque, smoother ride, regular fuel, better exterior styling on 2006. Cons - no bluetooth (for me), little softer handling, exterior styling not as crisp as TSX.
    Again, these are my viewpoints :)
    Oh - and the Acura has the luxo-badge on it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hmm, I guess you missed the Honda Accord vs Acura TSX discussion. We have indeed been comparing those two vehicles. Hope anyone interested will join us there.
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    That pretty well sums it up. You have to decide for yourself which car is best. From my POV, the TSX is just more fun to drive; better steering, sharper handling, better looking, but this topic has been argued ad nauseum here and on other sites.

Certainly the Accord EX V6 with the 6MT will be appealing. It's about time Honda offered the manual tranny to its V6 drivers. If straight TQ and HP numbers are what is important to you, as it seems to be for most American drivers, then definitely go for the V6. You'll never be happy otherwise.

If tight handling, quick steering, well-appointed interior and a fun-to-drive factor are important, then go with the TSX.

Just keep in mind that the TSX is very well-balanced, and that quality is hard to quantify. After 21 months, I'm happier than ever that I traded in my Accord for my TSX. I look forward to driving it every chance I get. I never did with my EX V6. It was a very good car, it was just very boring.

Life's too short to drive boring cars. Define your parameters.

Hope this helps. :shades:
    wayde-
    I did see that discussion which is why I asked my question here. Nothing has been posted there since May '05 and the '06 Accord EX 4dr w/ the 6spd MT was announced in early september '05, so it didn't atract any attention over there. Also, I'd be more interested in the Acura drivers perspective on the Accord than the Accord drivers perspective on the Acura.

It seems to me that the only comparison from a TSX perspective is the 6cyl 6spd MT,
    The place for this conversation is in the discussion I linked, not here. If you'll follow that link and post your thoughts, you'll get the feedback you are looking for.
    If I didn't care about the handling I wouldn't still be driving an integra, and based on what I read on the honda site the EX V6 has a slightly more tuned suspension. I haven't driven it to compare them, but I think it will be an interesting comparison to do. If it's still too boring then I stay with acura.

I just wish they'd changed the front end - the new back end is nice, but that front end is still bland to me. The new civic definitely looks like its related to the TSX/TL.
    thanks - I'll head over
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,656
    Hey all. I've been lurking on this board for quite a while and haven't posted. I just realized today that edmunds somehow cancelled my subscription to this board.

I've never driven one, but have always admired the TSX. At first I didn't like the rear end styling because it looks too much like a '94 Camry. Overall it is a handsome car and gives you a lot of features. The TSX actually heads the list of cars (along with a Mazda 6s) that will eventually replace my wife's 2000 Protege ES (69,000 miles) sometime in the next 2 years. We're going to try and hold on to the Protege as long as possible due to the fact it is paid off and my wife drives it from our apt. to the train station (3miles per day), but I've already had to replace leaking front struts and some other things that have been thankfuly covered by her extended warranty, but it is making some funky noises and vibrations so this may be the beginning of the end. :cry:

I'm a huge BMW fan, but my wife doesn't need an E90 325i (I do, but that is for another discussion). The TSX will hopefully be a reliable car for her and something entertaining enough for me to drive on the weekends. Right now I'm putting 20K miles per year on my '01 Prelude Type SH.

What changes does Honda have in store for the '06 TSX?

"my favorite handling Honda product is the 5th generation Prelude." Thanks heejoman :D

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• laineylainey Posts: 62
    Changes for the '06...here you go...
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3039

From what I've been reading, they will not hit the lots until December. :cry:
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    Winter is fast approaching and I was wondering if anyone can inform me about how the TSX does in the snow? Stuff like, how does it handle with the stock tires on it....do the rims get packed with snow because of the wheel spoke design.....what the car looks like after the snow season is over....i.e. is it beat up becasue of the road salt....how about when you drive over those huge chuck of ice on the side of the road....I grew up in the mid-west...have not lived there in 20 plus years....but will be going back late this winter....hate to purchase such a beautiful car and have ol' man winter beat the crap out of it....thanks to all in advance.....
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    Anyone care to speculate on whether the Driver's Seat with memory on the 2006 TSX can be retrofitted onto 2005 (and earlier) TSX's? Anyone care to speculate on what it would cost? Anyone care to speculate on how easy/difficult/impossible it might be to match interior colors from one model year to the next?
  • cathy2cathy2 Posts: 8
    Anyone with answers to the previous post about the 2005 TSX in the snow/ice??
    If you haven't done this, you might try the Search This Discussion box. I don't know whether you'll find answers, but it's worth a try.
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    Is this not the Acura TSX discussion box?
    The Search This Discussion feature (box) is on the right just above the first post and just below the last post on each page.
  • The TSX is at the top of my short list for purchase within the next few months and would appreciate any observations you might have. First some personal background. Fairly frequently I have to travel by car for busniess (about 1.5 - 2 hours each way), so I need something that will not be brutal for "long" trips. I'd prefer FWD or AWD, but might consider RWD - worried about snow on long business trips. That said, something fun to drive would be nice! I have a bias against European cars (reliability is a #1 criteria for me), so I have narrowed my search between Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus. Looking to spend high 20's to low 30's for a new car.

I thought the IS250AWD or IS250RWD might be a serious competitor for my $, until the MSRP pricing was released. I think the IS250 is probably overpriced for 204 HP and will command near MSRP for at least the rest of this year, so the TSX may be much more bang for the buck. The back seat of the IS250 really sucks from what I have read as well and mine would get occasional use buy adults. That said, I have not done a test drive or sat in a IS250 yet. If anyone here has driven the IS250, I'd like to hear how you think it compares to the TSX.

I would also consider a stripped down G35X if I can get a good deal on one, but the gas mileage is a lot worse with that car. I realize that the G35X may be a "different beast" than the other two but the temptation is there if the price is right.

The TL is at the end of my list, but I may consider it. Correct me if I am wrong, but from what recall reading, the reliability of the TSX & G35X is better than the TL. They are also probably more fun to drive. However, I do think the TL is the best looking and has the nicest interior of the bunch.

Thanks for your imput.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    I have both the TSX and TL. The reliability of a TL will be just fine. The reliability issue which you are referring with the TL was a transmission problem....in the prior generation version...which has been totally redesigned.

As for a two hour trip...I would prefer taking it in a TL versus a TSX. More fun...more comfortable.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I will speculate that it would be difficult to get the parts, and very expensive. Color matching (especially the dark colors) probably wouldn't be to difficult.
  • Hi,

I bought my Acura TSX around 3 months ago and recently drove the car from San Diego to San Jose after which I noticed a few things that seem to have happened during that journey.

First of all, I hear a distinct rattling sound that seems to come from the front passenger door when you are sitting in the drivers seat but from the dashboard (behind the air conditioner exhaust) when you are sitting on the passenger seat.
    The second thing I noticed was a very minor scratch on the leather of the rear seat (i dont know how that happened). It is only on the surface of the leather but still visible.

I went to the Acura service center in Sunnyvale and they told me that they would fix the rattling sound and the scratch. However, according to them, the leather repair would cost me around $150. Do you think it is reasonable???

I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks,
    Guneet
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    No, this isn't reasonable. Assuming these issues were present when you took delivery of the car, they should be covered under warranty. The rattle issue, for sure, is something that has been a problem with some TSX's.

The car you just purchased comes with a 50,000 mile, 4 year warranty. Make them fix it, and definitely don't let them push you around.

Good luck! :shades:
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Posts: 119
    The rattles should be fixed. The leather scratch, assuming it was not there at delivery, is not a warranty issue. Maybe visit a leather repair shop and see what their quote is, and there are also DIY leather repair kits and conditioners that may help. If you don't already do so, condition the leather with Lexol every 3 months or so to keep the leather soft and pliant, this will greatly help reduce the chances of scratches, cracks, and wrinkles.
  • Hello sdiver68,

Thanks for the response and tips for leather care. I will get an outside quote too and see if that is lesser than the one Acura gave me.

Guneet
  • Hi johnny420,

Thanks for the response. The scratch wasnt there when I bought the car (and I bought it brand new) and there wasnt any rattling sound either. It was only after I drove it from San Diego to San Jose that I started getting that sound.
    Anyway, I will see what I can do about the scratch. As someone else advised, I will get a seperate quote and see if acura can reduce theirs.

Thanks again,
    Guneet
  • In the December issue of Motor Trend which just came out, there is an Acura TSX ad on page 60/61 which looks to have an 06 TSX in the pic. It is a side/partial rear pic of the car and it is in a dark color, so it is hard to see body differences, but the wheels look like the pics of the 06 on the Honda/Acura news site. What does anyone else think? Is it an 06 in the pic. If it is, it looks better in this pic, than on the news site.
  • Well it does talk about Bluetooth in the ad, so I think it is an 06.
This discussion has been closed.