Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX

Comments

• Options
    victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    Does anybody know what is the turning radius for the TSX??? I thought I read it somewhere which said it was 40 ft. Then I received an acura brochure for the TSX today which claimed it to be 20 ft!?!?!?! I find that very hard to believe.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Not even if it had 4-wheel-steering.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The turning "diameter" (how far two walls could be apart and still make a 180-deg turn) is about 40'. A lot of people (including the mfgs), sometimes mistakenly refer to this as a turning "radius". Obviously, the radius of a circle is half the diameter, thus the 20' number.

Mfgs sometimes cheat and quote a figure for the diameter of the tire tracks which is slightly less than the true wall-to-wall turning diameter since the body overhangs the tires a bit. This adds further noise to the figures.

Whatever. The TSX has a relatively large turning radius/diameter, especially considering its size, so if urban nimbleness is paramount, this isn't a great choice.

- Mark
  • Options
    cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    That is awlful large for this size car. The Maxima owners complain of the 40 Ft. turning diameter of their cars. Is it the tire size causing this?

cusafr
  • Options
    hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Probably the tires or trade offs related to 17" tires. Check out other makes and you'll rarely find small turning circles associated with 17" tires. The impressively small turning circles (34-39 ft) are usually associated with 16" and sometimes 15" tires/wheels.
  • Options
    victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    I believe acura is intentionally trying to pull a fast one on the consumers, shame on them!!
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Wheel size should have nothing to do with it. My wife's Camry has a 34ft turning circle, and while it has 15" wheels, the outer tire diameter is the same as my Mazda6 with 17" wheels and lower profile tires. The TSX wears the exact same tires as the Mazda6, and I'd bet they're the same outer diameter as the Camry and Accord. Since the outer tire diameter is the same, the amount of space taken inside the wheel well is identical, so it should NOT effect the turning diameter!

Besides, the Mazda6 is supposed to have an awful turning diameter at 38.4ft, and I don't find it to be a problem at all, even in Washington DC. I expected to. My wife's Camry has a much better turning radius, but the car is heftier, so I prefer mine. She might be able to turn more sharply, but I'm able to guage my turns better- which is priceless.

Likewise, the TSX is smaller than the Accord, so even with the larger turning radius, I'd bet it's easier to navigate.
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    when try not to miss every opportunity to change lane!

Wide rear view used to be Honda's forte. Even the '92-95 3-dr Civic was amazing for a hatchback. But not this new Accord, especially the narrower TSX.

So Mazda6 & Mercedes C-class are still good. Protege & 3-series coupe are OK. 4-dr 3-series so so. Beetle/Passat & G35 are horrible. Especially the G35 w/ Premium package's comfy rear headrests, which don't leave any gap at the corners. Mazda RX-8's front high-back seats blocked the very-wide rear-glass view.
  • Options
    You're right stretchsje, the rolling diameter is not the big issue, but tire width is and 17-inch wheels running low-profile tires are wide. When rims/tires get very wide, they start fouling the steering and suspension systems at full lock steering.

In general, car companies tend to make the tradeoff towards tighter turning diameters in non-performance models and put up with bigger turning diameters in higher performance models. It's a tradeoff.

- Mark
  • Options
    hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for the info on the width of the 17" wheels/tires compromising the steering components and turning diameter. That was what I had in mind, but you said it so much better.

Btw, accord (dx), camry (le and previous entry level model)and passat have come standard with 15" wheels for years.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes - most hard acceleration is over in 4th gear, so why can't the top gears be a little more relaxed. If you are winding it up in 5th gear to hit the powerband you are really moving (probably pushing 100 mph).

And yesss... if you bought the manual you probably don't mind shifting down to pass, and if like me actually enjoy it. Who cares about top gear acceleration - it is a tool to compare cars not a way to drive.

Here is an example of a car that is the opposite of the TSX regarding gearing (I will say that 2,500 still isn't horrible, as my Integra is at 2,900 at 60). My wife used to have a Quantum (pre Passat) with a 1.7 liter engine. It had less than 80 hp (though nearly 100 lb-ft of
    torque) but had two overdrive gears. The car was geared for economy for sure, and would go 96 mph in 3rd gear (according to manual). It was turning about 2,100 rpm at 60 in 5th gear. Despite the tall gearing and lack of power, the car rarely had to be downshifted on the highway. Sure you had to down shift (sometimes 2 gears)to pass on a two lane road, no big deal.

So now the TSX has nearly 3 times the power and nearly twice the torque. It should be able to do fine at 2,000 rpm at 60 (and does so with the automatic). Keep in mind that most people drive faster than 60 (speed limit here in SD is 75 and most people cruise at 80) so the car will probably be cruising at closer to 2,500 or more anyway.

I just tire of my Integra on long trips with the tach pegged over 4,000 rpm for hours at a time. Even a smooth engine is anoying at those rpms for extended periods.

Now to play devils advocate I will say that even my high revving Integra which is only EPA rated 28 on the highway with the 5 speed will easily get over 40 mpg if driven under 65. Maybe the TSX is just not EPA friendly, like my Integra, and is not really 5 mpg worse than the Accord. I know in the 80's Honda had two versions of the CRX one with an upshift light and one without. The one with the light was EPA rated at 5-6 mpg better than the one without the light. They were mechanically identical, EPA was just not shifting soon enough.

TSX commercial just came on TV - wierd!
  • Options
    Therefore, EPA's rating for close-ratio sticks's city fuel economy is lower. But the hwy rating should be accurate for comparison, by assuming only the top gear is used.
  • Options
    Creakid1

"The highway is a 10 mile trip with an average speed of 48 mph. The vehicle is started 'hot' and there is very little idling and no stops."

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/fefact01.pdf

The above is straight out of the EPA test guidelines. There is definately shifting involved in the test, since the average is only 48, yet highway speeds are simulted as well - obviously.

It is actually an interesting read. Some obscure facts from the document.

If two cars are within 500 lbs of each other, and have the same engine and tranny they can share EPA mileage figures. In otherwords if the TSX had used the same tranny as the Accord and same engine they would not have had to retest it. For that matter they could put the engine and tranny in the Civic and would not have to retest it since it would be with 500 lbs of the Accord. This of course means tht Honda does not have to retest the Accord if they put a 6-speed manual in the V-6 sedan - they can use the coupe figures.

EPA adjusts actual measured values by multiplying city by .9 and highway figures by .78.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Is it worth losing 5 mpg and dealing with a high revving engine on the highway just to save a 1/2 second in a race to 60 - which most of us have probably outgrown.

If we cared only about the race to 60, then yes, it may not be worth it. But IMO, there is more to driving and that can include 25% premium in power output if not a 23% loss of fuel economy. IMO, in Accord, manual transmission is an alternate transmission for people who like to shift themselves. In TSX, however, I believe the automatic transmission is the alternate for people who want TSX but do not care to shift. So, there is a difference. TSX is about driving and performance. The gearing certainly takes advantage of the engine's output with the manual, but not with the automatic however. So, the automatic to automatic difference is negligible (23/32 in TSX to 24/33 in Accord).

Strange as it may sound, but there aren't many compact cars that can match Accord I-4 in fuel economy, so the TSX benchmark is pretty good to begin with. And then we can look around and see this,

Mazda6/V6: 19/27 mpg (manual)
    BMW 325: 20/29 mpg (manual)
    TSX: 21/29 mpg (manual)
    Prelude: 22/27 mpg (manual)
    Altima 2.5: 23/29 mpg (manual)

The Automatic is barely over 2,000 rpm at 60 why must the manual be nearly 2,500?

If the engine does not whine about doing its business, I don't see why this would be an issue. 2500 rpm may actually be quite relaxed, if not as much as the automatic, but then, the auto is not about performance either.

The 6-spd. Celica GTS has a very tall overdrive 6th gear, and still does 0-60 in well under 7 seconds.

0-60 wouldn't need sixth gear, just two and in some cases (current Civic Si), three.

If Acura wants to continue to use 6-spd. trannys, it would be wise to keep the first five cogs close-ratio and adopt a "highway crawler" overdrive.

I feel Acura/Honda offers 6-speed only if they want to push the limits, from offering an alternative to slushbox (in Accord I-4) to offering an alternative with performance being a priority. In CL-S, they tightened the sixth gear which also resulted in 1 mpg lower rating compared to the automatic so TSX would not be the first 6-speed along the lines.

fredvh
    Can anyone tell me what the RPM are on the TSX with automatic transmission at exactly 70 mph?

Accord I-4 and TSX have identical top gear overall drive ratio but due to difference in wheel size (P205/60/R16 versus P215/50/R17) the overall gearing in TSX will be slightly shorter. They will both turn 1970-1990 rpm at 60 mph, and about 2300 rpm at 70 mph.

bodble2
    During the short time I had my Y2K Prelude, my impression was that the car just BEGGED for 6th gear. I was in 5th gear quite a bit just driving around town. A 6th gear would have made for much more pleasant highway cruising.

I always thought that Prelude needed sixth gear as well since the intermediate ratios were pretty wide for the redline to extract the most out of the engine. TSX takes care of that issue, and also provides a taller final gear.
  • Options
    The Camry has 205mm width tires, the TSX 215mm. That's a difference of 5mm per side- almost nothing, and certainly shouldn't be to blame for the large turning radius.
  • Options
    A taller 6th cog in the TSX just makes sense to me, since it's not a "track car," and most hard acceleration is long since over by the time you get past 4th.

All that TSX might need to be a serious track car may be LSD, performance rubber and brakes. Before too long, we may see some of them running on track.

That said, I don't see 2500 rpm as too high. My 98 Accord cruises at 2300 rpm going 60 mph (and it is automatic).

victord1
    Does anybody know what is the turning radius for the TSX??? I thought I read it somewhere which said it was 40 ft. Then I received an acura brochure for the TSX today which claimed it to be 20 ft!?!?!?! I find that very hard to believe.

Turning diameter = 2X turning radius.

40 Ft. by cusafr
    That is awlful large for this size car. The Maxima owners complain of the 40 Ft. turning diameter of their cars. Is it the tire size causing this?

Steering Gear Ratio can play a big role in determining turning diameter. Most 'sport' steering setup will end up in larger diameter while 'easy' steering (Camry) can deliver smaller diameter. This can also be related to steering wheel lock-to-lock turn (less turns greater diameter). For example, you will notice a change between 1996-2000 Civic and 2001+ Civic (tighter steering) resulting in added turning diameter. Likewise, there is a substantial difference between base Acura TL and Acura TL Type-S. Likewise, Mazda6 has a turning diameter of 39 ft.

This may be a compromise between high speed steering setup versus low speed steering. Honda has offered VGS (Variable Gear Steering) in S2000 in Japan that varies the steering wheel gear ratio depending on speed to optimize the effectiveness over a varied speed range. At higher speed, the gearing becomes tight (lock to lock turn is only 1.4 turns), increasing to about 2.8 turns at low speeds (and improved low speed maneuverability). By comparison, open wheel racecars have their steering optimized for high (and very high) speeds, and they take 120 ft to turn around.

creakid1
    Wide rear view used to be Honda's forte. Even the '92-95 3-dr Civic was amazing for a hatchback. But not this new Accord, especially the narrower TSX.

I don't know about the TSX, but the only disappointment in the new Accord to me was the reduced forward visibility. And yes, in the past, Acura/Honda used all-around visibility as one of the greatest strengths. I remember looking at the first generation Acura CL brochure and it boasted an industry best 319 degree visibility from the driver seat. A compromise between crash-safety/style and large glass windows may be been made. Compared to our 1998 Accord, the biggest difference appears to be the height of the dash (more Euro-like high in the new Accord/TSX), and some difference in the way the windshield is angled and the size of it. More upright and less glass this time. This may have helped in improving the front seat headroom somewhat.
  • Options
    Stretchsje, you can find wide-wheel cars with small turning circles and narrow-wheel cars with big turning circles. But my point was that, IN GENERAL, wider wheels make engineering small turning circles harder.

And 5mm wheel width can make a difference. Work out the trig and this results in a wheel that can turn 1.2 degrees less at full lock. Just eyeballing my two cars, typical full-steering-lock wheel angles are about 30 degrees. So 1.2 degrees less max wheel angle would result in about a 4% increase in turning circle diameter. Thats about 1.5' increase on a typical car. Hardly insignificant.

Believe me, I'm not trying to say that the TSX has a great turning circle. I just want to point out that people critical of the TSX like to pull superior specs from other cars in isolation and say "the TSX should be able to do as well or better." Well, it probably could IF the engineers wanted to make the tradeoffs necessary. In car design, there is seldom a free lunch.

- Mark
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Unlike with automatic cars, CC cannot drop a gear to maintain a set speed on grades or in stiff headwinds. It has no control over gear selection with the 6 speed. With the revs up higher than the automatic, the need to downshift is reduced.
  • Options
    Good point about the cruise control - that is a very likely factor.
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Cruise control -- makes sense. Combine the low torque with 3,300lbs.+ to haul around, and I guess you would need to keep the revs up a bit.
  • Options
    Accord I-4/manual will turn 2300 rpm at 60 mph as well, compared to 2500 rpm in TSX. That could mean that mileage estimate process at EPA may be skewing highway estimate for TSX and if Accord can return 34 mpg, TSX may deliver 31-32 mpg under similar conditions.

I should point out that manual gearing in Accord I-4 and TSX are similar in the sense that they will both deliver similar speeds. Which means, TSX is taking advantage of its extra power towards performance. So, while the sixth gear ratio in TSX is 0.659:1, it is also the fifth gear ratio in Accord. The difference is in the axle ratio, where TSX is using 4.756:1 and Accord has 4.389:1.

That said, the following speeds will be attained in Accord/TSX in top three gears,
    Gear 1: 35 mph / 35 mph
    Gear 2: 64 mph / 61 mph
    Gear 3: 84 mph / 84 mph
    Gear 4: 111 mph / 111 mph

Now, if a person, cruising at 60 mph in sixth (corresponds to 2300 rpm in Accord and 2500 rpm in TSX) wants to accelerate 80 mph, the best acceleration will be achieved by dropping to the third gear in both. The revs in TSX would jump from 2500 rpm to 5100 rpm (or about 160 HP at the wheels) compared to 4000 rpm in Accord (or about 120 HP at the wheels) and there would be a 40 HP advantage with the Acura resulting in better acceleration, thanks to an additional 30-35% thrust available at the wheels.

It is easy to overlook points like these.

Combine the low torque with 3,300lbs.+ to haul around, and I guess you would need to keep the revs up a bit.
    I must correct, 6-speed TSX is 3230 lb. The heavier, automatic transmission TSX revs lower.
  • Options
    The car won't drive itself, so figure ~150lbs. for someone behind the wheel.
  • Options
    himiler, wouldn't that be true for any car?

Here is another perspective using significant specs (all manual transmissions) that affect cruising engine speed (calculated at 60 mph in top gear).

Honda Accord V6:
    Wheel Diameter: 25.46 inch
    Final Gear Overall Drive Ratio: 2.534:1
    RPM at 60 mph = 60 * 336 * 2.534/25.46 = 2007 rpm.

Honda Accord I-4:
    Wheel Diameter: 25.69 inch
    Final Gear Overall Drive Ratio: 2.892:1
    RPM at 60 mph = 60 * 336 * 2.892/25.69 = 2270 rpm.

Acura TSX:
    Wheel Diameter: 25.46 inch
    Final Gear Overall Drive Ratio: 3.134:1
    RPM at 60 mph = 60 * 336 * 3.134/25.46 = 2482 rpm.

BMW 325:
    Wheel Diameter: 24.88 inch
    Final Gear Overall Drive Ratio: 3.150:1
    RPM at 60 mph = 60 * 336 * 3.150/24.88 = 2552 rpm.
  • Options
    Of course, but the TSX has the disadvantages of its mass and relatively low torque output working against its top-gear acceleration.

To get past anything quickly, you'll have to downshift the car anyway, so why not make 6th a bit taller? 2,000RPM @ 60MPH would return excellent fuel economy, particularly in such a slippery car.
  • Options
    I think what you're asking is why doesn't the TSX have the same five lower gear ratios and a much taller 6th?

First, 2000 rpm in 6th at 60-mph would be a very lazy gear. I don't recall the dyno charts but I'd suspect the TSX would be making somewhere about 50-hp at this RPM, which would cause the car to slow dramatically on grades and require downshifting for even leisurely passing. Heck, I think a 3100-lb, 360-ft-lb, V8-powered Corvette is turning about 1700 at 60. A TSX with this gearing would drive at 60-mph in top gear, but just barely. It would feel very unresponsive.

While mfgs used to occasionally ship boxes (or multi-speed transaxles) with an overdrive high gear that was used only for low-rev highway cruising, they don't any more. I think it revolves around an emphasis on performance, cheap gas, and drivers wanting no-downshift passing performance. And most drivers prefer boxes where the gears are relatively evenly spaced.

If you want a really tall, overdrive high gear, you either have to spread all the other ratios out (hurting all aspects of performance to some degree) or you have to have a big jump to the final high gear.

Overwhelmingly the biggest complaint people have against the TSX is that it lacks torque to haul its mass. Gearing it taller, either across the entire box or just in the top gear, only makes the problem worse.

- Mark
  • Options
    Shorter gear equals greater responsiveness. That is how Honda designs its performance oriented manual transmissions, and that is how BMW designs its manual transmission (notice that BMW 325 will pull 2600 rpm at 60 mph, and that would translate to 3000 rpm at 70 mph). Both, TSX and BMW 325 will weigh about 3400 lb. with a 170 lb. driver.

To get down to 2000 rpm cruising engine speed, TSX 6-speed would need the top gear ratio of only 0.53:1 (compared to 0.659:1). The overall drive ratio would now be only 2.53:1, and match that of Accord V6/6-speed and BMW 330i/6-speed gearing. The question would then be, why couldn't Accord V6 and BMW 330 use even taller gearing? Remember, Accord I-4 and TSX with automatic rev lower than BMW 330 (6-speed) and Accord V6 (6-speed).

As for fuel economy, I believe TSX would be within 8-10% of Accord's I-4 with manual on extended freeway drive, i.e. as long as additional power is not used. That is already pretty good (31-32 mpg), better than most compact to midsize sedans.
  • Options
    For highway driving, tooling along in 6th at 80MPH while turning ~3,000RPM would not pose any problem getting up a grade.
  • Options
    It might get up some grades, but it takes a fair amount of power to go up a significant grade at 80.

Just glancing at the dyno charts, the gearing you're suggesting (which is a lot shorter than your earlier 2K @ 60 mph suggestion) would have the engine down about 35-hp from the gearing the TSX actually has at 80-mph. This is the equivalent of adding about 560-lbs to the car or about three passengers. So a TSX geared as you suggested would, in high gear, feel about like a TSX with a three passengers while the TSX geared as it comes form Acura would feel like it had no passengers (just the driver).

I just don't think many drivers want to burden their TSX with the weight of three extra passengers for 1-2 mpg and a drop of 500 rpm in freeway cruising. Of course, downshifting would always shed the weight, but the feel of the car in high gear would definitely be one of "keep your momentum up." This car just isn't competing with the Civic Hybrid.

- Mark
  • Options
    The Corvette only turns 1,300 rpm @ 60 in 6th gear (3.42 final drive, .5 6th gear and 275/40 r18 tires). I know a Suburban is only at about 2,000 rpm @ 60 and that thing has no aerodynamics, and weighs close to 6,000 lbs, and as little as about 4 years ago it only had 200 hp - I know it had more torque, but don't have the number in front of me.

To me overdrive means exactly that. It is for very high speeds or very easy cruising. For your standard low speed back canyon road, just put er in 5th.
  • Options
    When measuring 0-60mph performance, vehicle weight is key. Not so at highway speeds. At speed on a level road, your primary resistance is wind resistance. The TSX has both less front surface area than the Accord and a smaller coefficient of drag. It should encounter less resistance than the Accord on the highway.

Only going uphill or while changing speed does weight matter, but at 80mph wind will be the primary force against the car on all but the steepest grades- and this is something the TSX excels at. For this reason, I'd suspect the TSX would perform well with a taller 6th gear.

The Suburban may of had 200hp like the TSX, but at what RPM? I'd be willing to bet the Suburban would make at least 50% more horsepower at 2000rpm than the TSX. Horsepower is torque at a certain RPM, and the giant Chevy has more of it at lower RPMs. The difference probably about covers the difference in wind resistance between the two cars, which is why the Suburban can get away with that gearing for cruising. I bet the TSX is much more capable going uphill.

Likewise, the Corvette, while making over 400hp at its peak, probably chugs along with *only* about 80hp at 1300rpms (estimating 350ft-lbs there), plenty for its sleek shape. The TSX would have to be at over twice that RPM to make that amount of power, and is geared nearly this high. So, I bet top gear acceleration in a Vette is not much more than the TSX at 60mph :-)

Beyond that is a different story!!!
  • Options
    Likewise, the Corvette, while making over 400hp at its peak, probably chugs along with *only* about 80hp at 1300rpms (estimating 350ft-lbs there), plenty for its sleek shape.

Which just goes to show- if you can't go fast with 100hp, 200hp won't help you.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    For those of you that watch Motorweek, the TSX will be on the show next week.

M
  • Options
    The auto transmission in TSX already revs under 2000 rpm @ 60 mph, so could Acura do it with the manual as well? I don't see why not unless there are some mechanical limitations. However, it also appears that Honda prefers to let the manual transmission engines rev higher as it does in Accord I-4, Accord V6 and CL Type-S as well compared to their automatic counterparts. So, while Accord I-4/manual would rev at 2270 rpm going 60 mph, TSX/manual would keep the revs at 2480 rpm. And like I mentioned earlier, BMW 325 would maintain it at 2550 rpm. This has to do with improved efficiency with manual transmission without compromising the performance.

I remember an interesting piece of information from an article on CVT that they can provide an exceptional spread of gear ratios (the first to final gear ratio may be 6 times). Trying to figure out the same in some other transmissions, here is something that I found (first gear ratio/final gear ratio),
    Accord I-4/manual: 4.96
    Accord V6/manual: 5.10
    TSX/manual: 4.96
    BMW 325/manual: 4.23
    BMW 330/manual: 5.10

I'm not sure what that means, and if it indicates some engineering limits to 5 or 6 speed transmissions. As I pointed out earlier, to get the engine to rev at 2000 rpm, the sixth gear in TSX would need to be 0.530:1 (instead of 0.659:1). That would mean a spread of 6.16.

That said, I don't see the point of whining about 2500 rpm when the engine doesn't.
  • Options
    The extra revs are not a "requirement" for the TSX engine. Geez, my 99 CR-V has far less torque in the low rpm range and it rarely has a problem maintaining speed. The extra revs are there for fun. It has more to do with passing power and the luxury of high speed acceleration.

The buyers who chose the 6 speed manual are not doing it to save the Earth. Even though the TSX's fuel economy and emissions are in line with many of the 4 cyl family sedans, that is not its goal in the market.
  • Options
    Why can't you save the earth and have fun too? They don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can have all the fun you want in the first 5 gears, just leave one gear for cruising.

The speed limit is 70-75 out west, and 80 is a normal cruising speed. That 2,000 rpm at 60 becomes about 2,666 at 80 (which is plenty of revs to keep up the power). The standard gearing puts you at 3,300 at 80.
  • Options
    Whoever wants to save the world at the compromise of some fun can pick the automatic anyway. Or better yet, Accord I-4 with manual. You wouldn't find many midsize sedans getting 34 mpg on highway.
  • Options
    "Why can't you save the earth and have fun too? They don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can have all the fun you want in the first 5 gears, just leave one gear for cruising."

What can I say. Buy the DNX concept. You want to have your cake and eat it, too? Get ready to pay for two cakes.

This car is about compromises. At this price point and with this mission, compromises are required. Tree huggers (like myself) may wish for better fuel economy. Fair enough. But Acura also has to sell to the people who want to be able to lay into the gas pedal and pass someone without down-shifting. Play those two customers against one another and come up with a better solution.

The 2.4 is smooth enough that revving a bit higher isn't going to have a significant impact on NVH. That's the most compelling reason for not revving a luxury car. Fuel economy (though dear to my heart) is a secondary concern. So Acura has a solution that provides power, doesn't hurt luxury, and the only drawback is that fuel economy is only as good as most other economy sedans.
  • Options
    "Why can't you save the earth and have fun too? They don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can have all the fun you want in the first 5 gears, just leave one gear for cruising."

Good point, the TSX has the "beauty under the skin" - smooth under-body clads. Nobody else can run low rpm at 80mph(or even 100mph) w/o being slowed down the wind resistance, TSX can!

"But Acura also has to sell to the people who want to be able to lay into the gas pedal and pass someone without down-shifting."

Re-etch the shift knob into "5+E" & tell people who really want to brace themselves in the "fun-ready" position to leave it in 5th! They can always learn about the E gear after they grow out of high revving or simply when in relaxed mode(I meant mood).
  • Options
    So the manual is 2500 RPM and the auto is 2000 RPM at 60? This is a very dramatic difference in gearing - I don't know of another automobile with such a dramatic difference.

- Mark
  • Options
    There are couple of examples,

BMW 325: 2000 rpm (auto)/2600 rpm (manual)
    Honda Accord I-4: 2000 rpm (auto)/ 2300 rpm (manual)
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>I don't know of another automobile with such a dramatic difference.<<<

check out the Protege ES....similiar diff between manual/auto
  • Options
    13 yrs already! & suffered from this cacophony boom box all my life. Besides, this is even a very torquy engine.

Please, Mazda, stop it! I understand that this has been "helping" me to not travel at very high velocity so I never had a speeding ticket on the fwy.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The says an auto will downshift automaticaly on a hill while the manual needs to rev a little higher make for more consistent cruising without interruption. Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    lponz7lponz7 Member Posts: 25
    My local dealer, who has no TSX's with a NAV system in inventory, says they won't be getting any in until July. Am I getting my chain jerked here? Also, want 6-speed, which I know is only 25% or so of production.
  • Options
    IOW, I doubt the dealer is jerking anything. Dealers have little to gain by telling a customer they don't have a car to sell them.

Having said this, I don't think this model is THAT difficult to find if you want to check some other dealers.

- Mark
  • Options
    Pretty good first month for TSX in the market with 1835 units sold (translates to about 50% above projected sales volume).
  • Options
    I'm sure the marketing department will receive some sort of bonus.

It's just the typical pent-up demand at a vehicle's intro. If Acura can maintain the pace, that'll be an accomplishment.
  • Options
    It will be unearthly to expect that trend to keep up for a long time, even for Acura/Honda, but Element could be an excellent example. In the first month, Element sold pretty well (about the expected average), and people said the very same thing that it is a new model and buyers were geared up to grab it. Interestingly, a few months down the road, the sales of Element is up 55% above projected sales (6500 units in April). And even better for Honda, this is without eating up the sales of CRV which has maintained its sales volume.

As far as TSX is concerned, I hope that Acura bumps up the production to overcome the under-estimation on sales volume of TSX as they did for TL a year into its redesign (MY2000).
  • Options
    Subaru did the same thing with the WRX. The demand never really let up that first year.

I hope the TSX sells like hotcakes so there'll be plenty in the coffers for a RWD Acura in the near future. Then again, if the TSX sells well, Acura will likely continue with the same old FWD tricks. I can't win.
  • Options
    3449gabi3449gabi Member Posts: 5
    If the Honda accord I-4 or the v-6 has an advance trip computer. Some of you guys are talking bad about the fuel economy of the TSX. The one with the navi can tell you the range, average mpg, the distance and the time since it was last reset, plus you can reset with or without refuel. In my first weekend long trip, about 190 miles round trip, mostly freeway(90%) I got 33.4 MPG. That's better than my 145HP 2001 G20. I think two MPG less as an average and 40 HP more than Accord is a small price to pay. With the exception of the price of the car, obviously.
This discussion has been closed.