Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• jpmistjpmist Member Posts: 14
    "Does anyone have any input as to real gas mileage? I plan on some long trips. (Another reason for the TSX over the RSX. I think the RSX with 45 profile tires would beat me up too much."

When I first got my auto '04 TSX I got only 21 mpg doing city/interstate commutes of about 300 miles a week. During a drive to Florida my mileage rocketed up to 31 mpg and I wasn't babying it. Now with about 2700 miles my milage has improved to 24 mpg. . .
    "Locking the AT in "D3" is not a good idea. The 4th and 5th gears are both overdrive gears. The only think you are doing is locking your car out of overdrive, which is going to cause the engine to "race" at higher speeds.."

Appreciate your advice, but the regular D shift points are far too stogy because just before the torque starts to kick in the trans shifts. I only stay in D3 when I'm in city traffic under 45 mph and even then the car rides in 3rd gear without going over 4k rpm.

The car is a lot more fun to drive when the trans lets the engine rev a bit. It is a sports sedan after all. If I wanted to drive a boring automatic sedan I'd have bought an Accord. . .<grin>
    "After test driving the TSX, I felt it was missing the jump in acceleration (from 60mph - 80mph let's say) generally needed to either pass another vehicle or enter a highway. Does the auto transmission kick down and move the car to accomplish what I mentioned above?"

During my all interstate drive to Florida I was pondering that exact same question. Wanting to jump into the passing lane at 70, it seemed that stomping on the gas to get the car to shift down felt a bit clumsy and slow.

At that speed I wouldn't dare drop it into D3, so the only other way to get that jump in acceleration would be to switch it over to manual shift and drop it to 4th. With practice you could probably do that faster than stomping on the gas pedal in D.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    THanks for responding. Switching to the manual shift is something I am familiar with, since my VW has tiptronic. I will exercise this option more closely during my next test drive.
    "I felt more comfortable in the TSX. In the short time that I drove the TSX, I did notice that the ride was harder, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. Like I mentioned earlier, I want to drive the car again. Also, there is nothing wrong with my '98 VW. I own it, but the warranty just expired, so I figured I would see what is out there"

I've had my auto trans TSX for 5 weeks now and I appreciate the car more than ever. Coming from having an MR2 as a daily driver I was prepared to accept something more boring to drive in return for the wonderful quite ride, beautiful interior and fantastic stereo.

After learning what the car can do I find that I can drive it almost as aggressively as my MR2 and have fun doing so with the bonus of chilling out when I need to as well. It'll never corner as well as the MR2 but it has a nice taut ride, and is as quick as I need it to be.

"For a car in its price range, the value is huge!!! The interior covers all my bases, the handling is tight and the safety rating is high."

Don't leave out the high JD Power ratings for Acura as well as the Consumer Report's high grades for nearly every category. Both grade the Acura higher than comparable German cars like the A4 and BMW's 300 series.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    It seems as though you are getting out of your car what I hope to get. Very encouraging. Great value vs more expensive competitors in its class. Thanks again.
  • richylrichyl Member Posts: 20
    TSX has a price tag similar to Passat 1.8T and a few grand more than Accord V6 or Camry V6. How would these four cars go against each other? Thanks
  • ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    Consider:

A smallish 4-cylinder 200hp sedan for around $27,000 versus...

a mid-size V-6 240hp sedan for as little as $20,893 (what I paid for an '05 LX-V6).
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Yes, and you could have bought a V-6 Taurus for $12,000. Guess you got ripped off.

Then you have to be seen in and look at your ugly Accord.
    It's worth remembering that the Acura TSX is sold in other markets as the Honda Accord. In those markets the TSX/Accord is a family sedan. Those same markets sell the USDM Accord as the "Inspire"; an upscale luxury car.

Fortunately, here in North America the larger Accord/Inspire is less expensive than the smaller TSX/Accord. We've got it good here.
    So because a car is smaller, it therefore follows it should cost less? It's incredible that you would come to the TSX board to suggest we should all be buying stripper V-6 Accords. I'm really surprised to see you promoting the Accord LX on this Acura board when you traded your LX in for an EX after only five weeks of ownership. You should be the first to admit that the upscale content that comes standard with every Acura is highly desireable. There are a lot of reasons why a tight handling, high performance four cylinder sport sedan would be preferred by some over a softer, 6 cyl family sedan. I know you won't be convinced by the arguments from the TSXphiles here, so why come and insult us?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "It's worth remembering that the Acura TSX is sold in other markets as the Honda Accord. In those markets the TSX/Accord is a family sedan."

Not true.

Unlike the previous generation Accord, which was a more "family oriented" sedan overseas, Honda designed the current Accord to move "upmarket" and compete with Audi, Saab, Alfa Romeo, etc.

Here are some quotes from the Europen press:

"All-new Accord saloon moves range into quality sports segment."

http://www.carpages.co.uk/honda/honda_new_accord_10_09_02.asp?swi- - - - - - tched=on&echo=161280210

"The old model Accord was anonymous in its styling, which disguised a capable car built to typical Japanese quality standards...This car is clearly aimed further up market than the previous model. Honda are aiming for the customer who would otherwise consider a Saab 9-3, Alfa Romeo 156, Audi A4, Lexus IS200 and their like."

http://www.carenthusiast.com/20030311_firstdrive_hondaaccord.html

"Honda&#146;s chosen features and design criteria for the all-new Accord saloon are likely to reposition it as a leading contender in the quality sports saloon market."

http://www.50connect.co.uk/index.asp?main=http%3A//www.50connect.- - - - - - co.uk/50c/articlepages/motoring_index.asp%3Fsc%3Dcarreview%26aID%- - - - - - 3D6053

"THE Honda Legend has never sold in big numbers over here. Maybe that's why the Accord carries the company's up-market aspirations in 2004. Honda let it be known that the Accord's natural rivals were Volvos and Audis, not Fords and Vauxhalls."

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_north_east/autobytes/h/ho- - - - - - ndaaccord24.html

Well, I could on and on, but you get the idea. You should also consider that the Accord most of the press reviewed overseas is not as well equipped as the TSX, and in some instances, had the smaller 2.0L engine. The TSX truly is the top of the line Accord in Europe, and is very competitive in the "quality sport saloon" segment.
    Easy, big fella! I never suggested that TSX owners should have bought anything else. I didn't say smaller cars should cost less and I didn't trade for an EX. If you like your car, then I'm glad for you. Everyone's got different tastes and needs.

I was responding to richyl (message #3762) asking for commentary on the price tag of TSX vs. Passat 1.8T vs. Accord V6 vs. Camry V6.

Looking over recent posts, you compared my Accord unfavorably to a Taurus but other than that I read no insult anywhere. Try to relax.
    Thanks for the info fedlawman. You're right of course that the Acura TSX is equipped differently than the same platform sold as the "Honda Accord" in other markets. Obviously, Honda doesn't just slap an "Accord" badge on a TSX and sell it as a family car in Europe and Asia. I took it for granted that was understood.

My foreign-market perception of the TSX/Accord was based on reading Asian web sites. There are automotive web sites based out of Singapore and Malaysia with a unique Pacific-rim focus yet they're in English so I can actually read them. They're more closely linked to the Japanese automotive scene than Europe is and they provide some interesting manufacturer information that I don't see elsewhere.

Not that you're wrong and I'm right - just that you looked at Europe and I looked at Asia. It's a small world on the internet. 8-)
    "Obviously, Honda doesn't just slap an "Accord" badge on a TSX and sell it as a family car in Europe and Asia."

Yesterday, you said:

"It's worth remembering that the Acura TSX is sold in other markets as the Honda Accord. In those markets the TSX/Accord is a family sedan."

Sorry, but your remarks seem to conflict with each other. Am I missing something?
    Tell me about your TSX. AT or MT? Navi or non-navi. How long have you been driving it? What are the best things about it? The worst?
    I could have been more precise - "the TSX platform is sold in other markets as the Honda Accord."

Obviously, it goes without saying that cars vary a lot from market to market. Even Hondas and Acuras sold in Canada are different than US-spec models. It's taken for granted - even basic items like bumpers, lighting, engine controls, emissions, fuel requirements, etc can vary widely from one market to another.

I suppose Canadian Acura EL owners can make an argument that their cars are far more than just a Civic with extra equipment and thus inherently superior to a mere Honda anything. Whatever floats one's boat - live and let live.
    I am really dissapinted, you know?

There's only so much you can discuss in a forum about a car that wins award after award, comparison test after comparison test, and receives accolades from around the globe.

That's why I was excited to be discussing a new topic as interesting as worldwide demographics and marketing of the "Euro Accord" and "USDM Accord," and specifically, how this marketing compares with the U.S. marketing of the Accord and TSX.

And now, after all my anticipation about your own research and opinions on the matter, I come to find out that you're just another member of the, "TSX is just a tarted up Accord with an Acura badge" camp.

I don't know why I even bother...
    I bought my TSX in May 2003, and it just turned 16,000 miles on the clock.

It's a 6-speed w/o Nav, Milano Red with Parchment interior.

I can honestly say that it is the best car I've ever owned. It's second only to my Miata in sporting ability, yet so much more comfortable and refined (and it holds my wife, 2 kids, and full luggage).

I've road tripped from my home in Seattle to San Francisco and was impressed by it's accomodating highway comfort and fine stereo. I've autocrossed it at Bremerton and tracked it at SIR, and was impressed by it's solid fade-free brakes, precise neutral handling, and pefectly matched (and silky smooth) engine and transmission. I've also enjoyed it as a "premium sedan" when going out to dinner or a show with my wife.

All is not roses however...

Paint chips seem to be a problem for this car (although I've heard many, many new cars have this problem). I also had some of the infamous early door rattles that my dealer was able to eliminate. The drive-by-wire throttle is touchy right at tip-in - to the point that I still get a little herk-jerk when gently pressing the gas after coasting or steady low gear (traffic) cruising. And finally, my biggest problem with the TSX - it's too perfect.

Like all Honda's (well, maybe not the NSX and S2000), it does everything so smoothly and precisely, that it lacks a certain degree of character. I find myself fantasizing about replacing it with a used Porsche 911 or a Mitsubishi Evo - something that is more involving to drive, and offers a more "thrilling" driving experience.

Admittedly, these feelings stem a great deal from the fact that, since my recent Volvo V70 purchase, I no longer require a "luxury" sport sedan. When I was in the market for the TSX, I wanted a car that met my desire for a sports car AND a luxury car. Now that the Volvo fills the luxury role for me, I might be looking to sacrifice the Acura's luxury in exchange for more performance.

But don't misunderstand me, if I were in the market today for a $30K-ish car that has both "luxury" and "performance," I would still choose the TSX. Honda simply nailed it with this one...
    Thanks, Fedlawman. This is the kind of feedback and information I'm looking for from this forum. Real feedback from people who actually own and drive the car, rather than the esoteric nonsense from a lot of non-owners who, for some reason, feel it necessary to force their irrelevent opinions on those of us looking for useful information about a car and how it works.
    I can't remember - have you taken a 6-speed on a thorough test drive yet?
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    First of all, I think this issue of how the TSX and USDM Accord are marketed in other countries is irrelevant. You should pick your auto based on how it stacks up against other vehicles in THIS market and how it meets your own needs.

Second, the comparison with the USDM V6 Accord is not really a good one, IMO. They're really much different kinds of vehicles. The V6 Accord is softer, not as attractive and not as much fun to drive. The Accord offers more room and (IMO) a much better ride. There is steeper dealer discounting for the Accord so the out the door price will be different (although the MSRP for the EX version and the TSX are not all that different). But, in the end, the TSX may may up for the MSRP difference with better resale.

For me, value is determined by how much I enjoy my vehicle. If I feel good about the $ I spent, it is high value.

My last vehicle was an Accord. I was bored by it. I did not look forward to driving it. It was reliable as heck, but it was ultimately a poor value. Twenty grand for a vehicle I wasn't enthusiastic about owning.

I spent about 28 grand on my TSX. I love driving it. I love looking at it. I could have spent less and got a bigger more powerful Accord, but I would probably have not feel the same way about the ownership experience. The TSX was a good value because I spent $ on a car I really enjoy owning. How many USDM Accord owners feel the same way about their vehicle?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,062
    I don't necessarily agree about the value part of the argument.. but, I do agree that if a car makes you unhappy, it is very expensive, indeed.

We had three Accords.. '97, '99, '01.. and while they were a great value for what we paid, we ultimately became bored as well... and felt the need for something sportier and more luxurious..

And, the TSX fit our needs perfectly.. The Honda reliability is another plus..

I think plenty of people really enjoy owning their Accords.. We did.. but, ultimately, we lusted for something different...

regards,

kyfdx

P.S. Even after all that, we didn't get a TSX.. but, it was very close.. I recommend them highly..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thorough, no unfortunately. It has been very hard to find an '05 6MT available to test drive in my market. The dealer I've been working with did allow me to test drive a brand new one he just got in (2 mi on the clock). I put 13 miles on it hitting as many windy roads as I could. To be honest, I felt guilty about driving what would ultimately be someone else's baby so I didn't abuse it by fully exploring the rev range. I know I will never take delivery of a vehicle that has been test driven by others for just this reason. Having said that, I drove it fast enough to induce some understeer. I do like the handling and ride. Uncledavid keeps describing it as "stiff" and I yield to an owner with many miles on one, but in my brief impressions, I would describe it a little more charitably, firm but compliant (which is how I like it). The one thing I came away scratching my head about was the clutch and shifter. I have read all the magazine reviews and owners comments on this board raving about it. In all honesty, I found the clutch engagement a little vague and the shifter a bit notchy. Maybe that's just a little learning curve on my part. I'd be interested to hear your initial impressions (if you can remember!) Other than that, I love the interior and the smooth, free-revving engine. I have been driving 250 hp V-6 sedans for the past few years and the TSX is certainly more entertaining to drive. You are so engaged with driving the car, you certainly don't perceive any lack of power. I would love to spend a day behind the wheel but doubt if I will get that luxury before putting my money down. As of now, my dealer has agreed to order my car for April delivery without a deposit. So, I am pretty sure I will end up buying one.
    Have to agree with you, Kyfdx. Plenty of drivers love their Accords and like driving them. My generalization was unfair and I should have modified my comment by saying I personally find the TSX fun to drive and own and did not feel the same about the Accord.
    "this issue of how the TSX and USDM Accord are marketed in other countries is irrelevant. You should pick your auto based on how it stacks up against other vehicles in THIS market and how it meets your own needs."

I think it's both a relevant and interesting topic of discussion.

I think it's relevant from a US marketing standpoint, that overseas, the "TSX" and "Accord" both wear the letter "H" on the hood, and both sit next to each other on the showroom floor.

I think it would be interesting to hear opinions on how the "TSX" is distinguished from it's "Accord" cousin in a market that doesn't attach an upscale name-brand to the "TSX." By removing prestige from the equation, couldn't this discussion provide some insight into the basic goodness of the TSX?

Isn't it of interest to US sport sedan enthusiasts that, overseas, you can get a "TSX" with cloth seats and no moonroof? Aren't you curious to know how the "TSX" stacks up as a sport sedan when luxury is removed from the equation?

Consider this. What if Honda had, from the start, marketed the TSX as a 4-door Prelude, or the new Integra? How many married w/kids, $100,000+/year wage earners would have given the TSX a look or further still, taken the time to test drive one?

I did, but only because I'm an enthusiast who, as uncledavid suggests, looks beneath the surface to find a car's DNA, and selects "based on how it stacks up against other vehicles."

Before the TSX was released I already knew that Honda builds two different Accords worldwide - one for families, and one for sport. I knew that the JDM Accord/TSX is the only Accord that's built in Japan. I also knew that, compared to the Accord, the TSX has a 3" shorter wheelbase, quicker steering ratio, sport-tuned springs and shocks, larger brakes, a higher compression engine, and a thicker rear sway bar.

That's why I knew I needed to test drive the TSX as soon as it was released.
    Fedlawman - I consider the lineage of the CL7/CL9 models to be interesting and relevant on some levels. As a TSX owner, I'm certainly interested in where the car came from, and how it is sold in other markets. But, from the perspective of a purchase choices, I don't think it is relevant. I bought the TSX because it was a better vehicle FOR ME than any other car in the class. I still think that is the case. If the TSX is positioned as a less upscale car in other markets, that doesn't change the value of the vehicle for me.

In Japan and Europe, the CL7 might be marketed as less exclusive vehicle, but that has no impact on my day to day experience with the vehicle. After all, I don't live in Japan or Europe.

Anyway, as far as I know, there are very few markets in which both cars are sold. In Australia, though, they sell both versions and call the TSX "Euro Accord."
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "I have read all the magazine reviews and owners comments on this board raving about it."

C&D complained about the throttle linkage which they said was "too zingy now and unnecessarily hard on the clutch."
    I was commenting more specifically about the clutch and shifter. In my short test drive, I did not notice any difficulty with the throttle.

C&D has commented on those as follows:

"The perfect six speed shifter."

"The transmission is a slick six speeder with a buttery snick through the pattern. The pedals stroke easily....This is driving the way you've always imagined it could be."

"Take the pedals. All three of them on our six speed manual primary tester had remarkably short travel and each felt perfectly linear in operation. These are the sorts of unnoticed but predictable and reassuring interfaces that make for a satisfying performance car. The precision of the manual shifter would make a surgical instrument jealous."

This is high praise from the boys at C&D.
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    I hope this mail will provoke civil and informative opinion. So here goes. I test drove a Saab 9-3 linear, volvo s 40, accura tsx and for the hell of it a scion tc (just to give a base comparison of a cheap but high value car)

I crossed off the volvo, just did not like the drive, I was impressed with saab in most ways except its sluggishness off the start, (but did it move once it got going, a real speedster). Great brakes solid car. I admit the tsx surprised me, was expecting a Honda (good value nothing special)got lot more, firm steering, beautiful interior (well the beige version) and everything you could want in a car. Only real issue was the brakes, I just prefer a more progressive brake feel like on a bmw 3 series). The TC was cute great little car, for 17,000 just has lots going for it. So my decision is really saab vs tsx. (the tc only if i just want to spend almost nothing on a solid reliable car to get around) Saab is clearly a more solid car and more powerful then the tsx re acceleration, but the tsx I think will be more reliable. Did anyone else test drive these cars and have any thoughts about which one they ended up buying and why. ( I did not compare the higher end 9-3 to keep the price at least in the same playing field).
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    how long do you plan to keep your next car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

if you are leasing..

Otherwise, repairs and resale will eat you up...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I would expect to keep the car many years. Not the type to replace a car every few years.
    You should look at Consumer Reports reliability ratings and Edmunds "true cost to own" to help with your decision. I suspect it will be hard to beat the long term reliability of the TSX but if you are keeping it for a long time, the depreciation difference won't matter much.
  • firstcarfirstcar Member Posts: 7
    Although I do not really know how to drive a "stick" I can't ingore all the positive comments from both users and atricles about the manual on the TSX. I am pretty close to purchasing a 2004 TSX, but my delema is manual or auto. Although I have driven a manual TSX, I would essentially be learning to drive stick for the first time on the car if I were to buy the manual.

After driving an automatic for years and given that the TSX is somewhat of a drivers car, I find the idea of operating with a manual very appealing. Having said that this will be my first car purchase ever and although I can afford it, it needs to last me a while.

What do you think? To risky for someone with my opinion or should I go for the manual?

(I know the automatic has a sport shift, but it can't be the same).

Thanks all.
    Not sure what you mean by risky? Honda makes some of the best manual transmissions..

Not that this relates directly, but my first Honda went 130K... and was still on the original clutch..

That said, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing are all wear/maintenance components.. At some point, they are designed to be replaced... Depending on your driving style, that could be in 30K or 130K..

If you mean risky, in that you haven't ever driven a car with a clutch... then, I'd get some practice, before buying a new car with one...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, by risky I mean the fact that I don't really know how to drive "stick". The quality is not a concern.

I really don't have any practical access to a manual car that I could drive for meaningful lengths of time and the dealer is only so patient with someone who is not ready to buy.
    Find a friend with a manual.. ask them to show you how... You don't really need hours of practice, just enough to get a feel for it.. to see if it is something you would like..

You might think it is going to be hard to find someone to help you.. but, I think it is imperative.. $27K is a lot to spend on a car, that you aren't sure about..

My first new car, that I bought when I was 18 was a stick.. and I basically only knew "how"... I didn't have any experience driving one.. I bought it because an automatic was $475 more (a long time ago), and I needed to conserve money..

I wouldn't consider it risky, from the standpoint of you not having ever driven one... Just risky from the standpoint of whether you will like it or not..

I highly recommend it, though.. It transforms the driving experience..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

About how much does it cost to replace the manual trans. componenets?

Thanks for your help.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    If you were to ruin the manual transmission, you're probably in the $5K area to replace. More likely, you'll burn out the clutch or the pressure plate first. Those are cheaper but not cheap.
    Yeah.. a clutch job will probably run about $700-$900 for parts and labor..

There is probably a much lower chance of actually needing a repair to a manual tranny, than an automatic.. I wouldn't worry about that part of it..

If driving normally, you should probably get 100K, before needing a new clutch..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have 185k miles on my Integra clutch, and it is still nowhere near needing replacement.

Buy the car, and go to a large empty parking lot and practice for a few hours. If you don't have somebody behind you honking it is a lot easier to learn. Just don't give the car too much gas, and don't let the clutch out too slowly and you should be fine. What wears out a clutch is to rev up the engine and let the clutch out real slow.
    I don't think I'd spend $27,000 on a car with a manual transmission if I'd never driven one on a regular basis. What's your commute to work like? Mostly freeway or mostly stop and go city traffic. If the latter, a manual transmission can be a real pain. You might be better off buying a used car with a manual trans and driving that for 6 months. If you find you like shifting, then go for the TSX. If you buy the TSX and find you don't like shifting, you'll take a pretty big hit trading it in.
    I was going through some old posts on the owners boards and saw that you had done some track time with your TSX. Are you still doing that? What have you learned about the car in terms of improvements? Obviously, tires are one thing but I've seen posters on some other boards swear by the aftermarket rear sway bar as the single most bang-for-the-buck improvement for handling on a TSX. Have you tried any mods? If so, what are the best, most cost effective changes to the TSX?
    I am an idiot what or rather how is a "sway bar" installed into a car that is not designed with one.
    I try to get to the track 5 or 6 times per year.

The TSX is as fine a track car as you could want in the entry-lux segment. By that, I mean that it handles and accelerates well, but it would need to shed about 400 lbs. to be considered a true sport sedan (yes, the 3-series, IS300, G35, etc. all suffer from this affliction).

No, I have not performed any mods yet, and won't until I decide whether I'm going to keep my TSX for the long haul. If I do decide to keep it, here's my list (in order of my personal priority) for improving the TSX's performance:

New tires - In my opinion, the TSX's biggest performance handicap is the OEM tires. I think stock sized summer tires will transform the TSX, and for 90% of owners, this is the only mod they'll ever need.

Brakes - This is the next step, especially if you'll be visiting the track on occasion. It's my opinion that you can never waste money on brakes, but this car doesn't need cross-drilled Brembo's either. Upgraded pads and brake lines would do wonders.

Front camber kit and rear sway bar - A little negative camber up front, and a little more roll stiffness in back - say goodbye to whatever understeer remains (and the safety net that it provides).

Springs - A modest drop (1") in ride height, and slightly firmer rates to reduce weight transfer and lower CG, but not radical enough to degrade ride comfort. I think stock damping is fine, so if the new spring rates are conservative, you shouldn't need new shocks right away.

The A-Spec package for the TSX (minus the rims) may be the way to go. Honda's done all the R&D already, so the guesswork that goes with mixing & matching components is eliminated. You could have your Acura dealer install it before you even take delivery!

Now for the engine. There's really only one way to go:

Order a "Euro-R" sticker on the internet, and install it just below the left rear tail light. It's affordable, and good for about +12 hp. Be careful your dealer service manager doesn't see it though, it can void your warranty...
    Good stuff. Thanks for your insights. I may have already asked your opinion on tires but what do you think will give the transformation you describe?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    A TSX minus 400 lbs would be awesome.

Less weight is just as valid a method of improving acceleration as more hp - Despite what most marketing campains tell us. An added bonus is that it increase efficiency at the same time, and handling as well.
    The stock wheels weigh about 23 pounds each. So, another useful mod might be to look for wheels that aren't as heavy. Some 14 pound wheels, and more aggressive tires, would probably shave .5 of the 0-60 time.
    Indy - Tires are a very personal thing. Any dedicated summer tire will improve grip, but how much do you want to spend, how much tread life do you want to get, and how much noise/harshness are you willing to sacrifice.

Tire Rack has an outstanding website that has a lot of research and comparison tools to help choose exactly what you're looking for.

Me personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little ultimate grip for a smoother, quieter ride. Yokohama has a new "dB" series of high performance tires that intrigue me. I'll do more research when it comes time to replace my OEM Michelin's.

Uncle - You're right, reducing unsprung weight with lightweight wheels and tires could shave 15 lbs. off each corner. That's the equivalent of pulling out maybe 200 lbs. of carpet, insulation, window motors, etc.

Almost forgot - The other thing I'd look into is finding a way to move the battery from the engine compartment back to the trunk.
This discussion has been closed.