Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,986

I wonder who signed off on the engineering for that convertible top stack.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• texasestexases Posts: 5,605

A 'classic' I haven't seen for years: a Fairmont, going east on I-30 out of -Dallas.

On a trailer, of course...

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,804

Some of the 770K designers must have not yet retired by the late 60s.

I've always assumed the folded top was so thick because the top itself is thick and complex - probably a Panzer-grade steel frame and several layers of cloth and insulation - not the tissue paper and coat hanger structure of some other ragtops.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,007
    edited August 13

@fintail said: I've always assumed the folded top was so thick because the top itself is thick and complex - probably a Panzer-grade steel frame and several layers of cloth and insulation - not the tissue paper and coat hanger structure of some other ragtops.

That also looks like an awful lot of top to have to store away, and not a lot of room to stuff it into. That low beltline, and tall roof, only exacerbate the issue. There's not much room in that spot over the rear axle, anyway. On some cars, like my '67 Catalina, the "coke bottle" shape gives a bit more space in that spot.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,630
    edited August 13

Need the trunk to be free to stash dead bodies.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

The size and shape definitely help. Along with that, it seems having a top that doesn't fold away invisible might be kind of an old time German thing - for "cabriolet" cars especially, whereas a "roadster" would have a more flush top. To illustrate, here's a MB 540K "Cabriolet"

Where the "roadster" had a flush top with cowl:

Come to think of it, even old Beetle cabrios had a bulky folded top.

@andre1969 said:

edited August 14

A lot of older cars were a bit sloppy with their tops down. Even on Mopar's '57-59 Forward Look cars, the top looked like it stuck up about 4-5 inches when fully down. I think the fins help obscure that fact a bit, and often pictures are taken at more flattering angles. I only see them top-down with the boot installed over them these days, so that at least gives them a more finished look. I imagine they must look a bit sloppy without it. That was one of the issues they fixed for '60, when they went to Unibody, as the top went down pretty flat on those models.

I have to confess, I'm pretty lazy with my '67 Catalina. I haven't put the boot over the top in years. It's just too much of a pain, trying to line up the little guide behind the seat, and then snapping all the little buttons in place. I got a new boot for it when I had all that work done to it about 6 years ago, and almost immediately some of the buttons came off.

I think Ford did it the best, with tops that folded completely away and then were hidden under a sheetmetal or fiberglass cover. For instance, some of the T-birds and Lincolns. But, those setups were very complicated, and I'm sure prone to failure. I'd imagine some high-end Europeans hid the top completely like that, as well. Didn't Peugeot actually have a retractable hardtop in the late 30's? Or is that something else I'm thinking of?

@andre1969 said: I think Ford did it the best, with tops that folded completely away and then were hidden under a sheetmetal or fiberglass cover. For instance, some of the T-birds and Lincolns. But, those setups were very complicated, and I'm sure prone to failure. I'd imagine some high-end Europeans hid the top completely like that, as well. Didn't Peugeot actually have a retractable hardtop in the late 30's? Or is that something else I'm thinking of?

You're right, the 1938 402b 'Eclipse':

I thought there was another prewar European retractable hardtop, name was something like 'Decapotable'...??

I've seen that term used most with the open Citroen DS variants. I think it just means the equivalent of "convertible" in French.

@texases said: I thought there was another prewar European retractable hardtop, name was something like 'Decapotable'...??

I thought it a bit ironic/funny that the originators of the 'Guillotine' would have a term that reads like 'decapitate' for a car....

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043

That retractable is a Peugeot, circa

Roadster and Cabriolet have become quite adulterated. Of course, most of these terms come from the days of horse carriages. In the old days, a roadster meant that the top stashed behind the seats and that you had side curtains. A cabriolet had roll up windows. (e.g., Model A Ford).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Saw a few old cars on the road today - trio of rat rod style Model As, immaculate Granada sedan for sale in a parking lot, nearby a Mark IV with a $900 sign in the window at a repair shop, early 70s Eldo convertible top down on the highway, well cared for looking Ford Elite, light yellow and white 57 Chevy 2 door HT

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,854

In the grocery store parking lot was a lovely Jaguar X Type wagon. The X Type wasn't the best idea but what a nice looking car.

One one block in Seattle today, I spotted 2 weathered 65 Fairlane sedans, and a 65 Galaxie 4 door HT in similar condition. Someone has a hoarding issue. Also a ~50 Chevy pickup that looked like it had been there a long time, and a 62 Impala. And because it is Seattle (proper, city), endless old VWs, Saabs, Volvos.

At least they're hoarding somewhat cool cars. I remember back when I delivered pizzas, I used to drive by one house on a regular basis that had THREE Tempos in the driveway!

When I was a teenager, my grandmother's neighbor had 5 Yugos - 4 of them parts cars. Back in the 90s when scrap was low, people would just give them to him. He was eccentric, and actually liked the cars as they were simple. Three Tempos might be less fun.

Almost forgot, I also saw a red Mercury Zephyr wagon in Seattle.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,647

@robr2 said: In the grocery store parking lot was a lovely Jaguar X Type wagon. The X Type wasn't the best idea but what a nice looking car.

I, too, saw an X Type wagon this weekend, likely the same one? Today, an Infiniti M30 Coupe. Haven't seen one of those in...forever!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,189

Spotted a dark brown 1956-57 Continental Mark II sans wheelcovers in a driveway of a house in Philly's Pine Valley neighborhood.

Saw a Studebaker Hawk, maybe a 58 or so, at the facility where the fintail is being repaired. That DeSoto from some time ago was still there, too. Also saw a Porsche 356 Cabrio at a nearby indy shop.

Today I saw an immaculate Infiniti M30 convertible, and a pristine new looking 85-88 Cressida driven by a little old lady.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,259

1963 Thunderbird. Very light tan in brown tone. I believe there were some pink-toned light colors on Birds also. Original looking. Paint looked like original. I don't recall if it had a vinyl roof. Probably heading to a car show somewhere.

I spotted a '69 GTO convertible, in good looking shape, but painted a dark metallic blue that looked too modern to be original. It was sitting in the parking lot of a repair shop. I felt a bit bad for it, because it was getting rained on. But, I guess a little water now and then won't make them melt!

It just makes them rust.

Some might remember a red on red 67 T-Bird I posted a while back - today I visited that lot, and the car was being delivered to a new owner. Older guy - 70s anyway - was happily taking delivery and driving off.

Wow, that thing is sweet! I always thought it was interesting that in many cars back then, cloth was the base material, with vinyl being an upgrade! I always tended to associate vinyl as a cheap material. But, in those days I guess, they found ways to make the cloth even cheaper! And in some cases, such as the Newport and St. Regis, there was another cloth interior that was optional. It was also a corduroy type pattern, but much thicker and high-quality, like something you'd find on a nice living room set back then.

I had a '79 Newport with vinyl, and its vinyl was actually pretty nice. But I would have rather had the cloth. Even that basic cloth looks really nice, in my opinion. It looks somewhat similar to the cloth interior of my old '82 Cutlass Supreme.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043

i wonder how it looks with the top down?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited August 27

One thing I just noticed, that Newport looks like it has the tiny stock 195/75/R15 tires. I don't think I've ever seen an R-body in person with tires that small, as they most likely got swapped out to a larger size later in life. My '79 Newport had the optional 15x7 wheels with deep dish turbine style hubcaps, and 225/70/R15 tires on it. Unfortunately, the only pic I have of it isn't very flattering, but here it is...

The car seemed pretty beat-up at the time, and in this pic it really needs a good washing. Heck, I rescued it from the junkyard, and only paid $250 for it. But looking at it now, it doesn't seem so bad. I see sellers at the various swap meets at Carlisle PA trying to hawk worse junk than this, from the same era, for thousands of bucks! Of course, just because those people are asking it, doesn't mean they're getting it! And, my Newport was "only" about 18 years old when I took this pic, in early 1998. Now it would be closing in on 36, if I still had it! It also had close to 250,000 miles on it in this pic.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,840

Plymouth Prowler, with matching trailer. Nice sort of rusty brown color, NM plates.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,574

1965 Barracuda(AKA fastback Valiant) clean and original.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica