Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,196

At the same house in which I spotted the 1956-57 Continental, (which has its wheelcovers back on) - a bright red and maroon Lincoln Continental Mark V cut down to a two-seater with a convertible top on some really ill-fitting rear fender skirts. Money obviously didn't buy taste back in the late 1970s!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,244

Nobody with bad taste knows they have it, that's the problem! :)

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,950

Spotted a pristine silvery blue late 70s Town Car today, along with a clean Expo LRV, and an XLR.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,647

Followed a '69 (so said the license plate) Ranchero home today. And not a hobby car, it had a company logo and tools in the back. Quite an unusual work truck!

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    edited September 5

Nice, I'm a big surprised that I haven't seen any out here yet, or a few El Caminos at least. Give me a bit more time, it's only been four days. :)

There are tons of clean old pickups doing daily duty and I've seen several pics in small cafes where owners have won trophies for their pickups at local car shows.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

In Spokane today, saw a nice black on red 62 Impala convertible, about a 62-63 or so Mercury Comet convertible, an obviously restored Kaiser Manhattan, numerous old VWs (maybe a local event going on), lots of 70s-80s cars and trucks going back to the 50s - the climate here is fairly kind.

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 358

Spotted a red 1969 Olds 442 Convertible last week with red interior. The guy was taking his kid to the neighborhood pool and left the top down, looked to be in great condition and had the Hurst shifter.

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    edited September 7

@fintail said: In Spokane today, saw a nice black on red 62 Impala convertible, about a 62-63 or so Mercury Comet convertible, an obviously restored Kaiser Manhattan, numerous old VWs (maybe a local event going on), lots of 70s-80s cars and trucks going back to the 50s - the climate here is fairly kind.

The Comet convertible had to be a '63 (or later). There was none in '62. I always thought the '63 cnv was quite nice looking.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• berriberri Posts: 4,234

I always thought the 62 Chevy's were very clean looking. These days I'm leaning a bit toward the 61's though. I also liked the looks of the 69 Cutlass, but seldom see them at car shows for whatever reason.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,103

@berri said: I always thought the 62 Chevy's were very clean looking. These days I'm leaning a bit toward the 61's though. I also liked the looks of the 69 Cutlass, but seldom see them at car shows for whatever reason.

I prefer the '68, though I'm biased since I own one.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I just remember it had little fins. It was a neat little car.

In the Tri Cities sprawl today - one one street in Richland, I saw a Morris Minor and MG at one house, a 70s Corvette, MB 380SL and 450SLC at another, and a later run Jag XJS at another house. The neighbors must be competing for project car hell. I also saw numerous old 40s and 50s era trucks parked at old farms, as I took the rural state highway down here from Spokane. I saw a definitely unrestored lowline Ponton in Kennewick, too.

@bhill2 said: The Comet convertible had to be a '63 (or later). There was none in '62. I always thought the '63 cnv was quite nice looking.

I prefer the '68, though I'm biased since I own one

That's the one with the stretched out headlight placement?

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,103

@berri said: I prefer the '68, though I'm biased since I own one

That's the one with the stretched out headlight placement?

Correct. Olds had that styling theme for a year or two in the late '60s.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,050

I thought it was interesting that Olds would try those widely-spaced headlights way back in 1959, with the turn signals in between, but then abandon it until 1967.

I wonder what made them decide to try giving it a shot again?

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778

That '66 Pontiac had the optional 8 lug aluminum wheels. The centers of those wheels were actually the brake drums. Very nice to look at but VERY expensive and probably impossible to find now. I remember in the mid 70's they were still available but only through the dealers and they were over 100.00 each back then!

And, those heavy Pontiacs were VERY hard on brakes.

So, today if someone needed some new brake drums for one of those cars they might be totally out of luck. How many NOS ones could there still be?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,828
    edited September 9

Saw an A4 on a flat bed trailer. :smile: ) Unfortunately, it shows up upside down. :(

A4.JPG 2M

Saw lots of old stuff just sitting out on farms or near old houses in central OR today, lots of 20s and 30s material - long past redemption, but still eye catching. Also saw a very clean Maverick sedan, Vehicross and Samurai, MGB-GT, Amazon/122, restored early 50s GM truck on a flatbed.

@isellhondas said: So, today if someone needed some new brake drums for one of those cars they might be totally out of luck. How many NOS ones could there still be?

According to this site: http://www.pontiacparadise.com/parts-id/8-lug-wheels.php it looks like you can get your 8-lug drums re-lined for $275 apiece, plus postage.

Pretty brutal price, but unless you're auto-crossing your classic Pontiac, or putting it through hard daily use, there's a good chance you'll only have to do it once. I can't remember how much a more generic brake drum would cost, in comparison. I do remember buying one for my '68 Dart and paying about 50 bucks I think. It was new, at the auto parts store. But this was also probably close to 20 years ago. I remember something on my '79 Newport costing about $90 apiece, but I think that was the front rotors. I dunno...been awhile now. That would have been 1997.

Spotted a green 1973 Oldsmobile 442 behind a house on the NE corner of Ripley and Tabor in NE Philly.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,684

Yesterday, on the road with what I'm guessing is a circa 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix. Looked to be in fine shape, a bright green color with the always desireable white half vinyl roof.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

A total trailer queen, but lovely. Greg Groom is known for restoring prize-winning Chrysler 300s. I would guess that at $192,000, minus the auction and seller's fees, that if you handed Greg Groom a totally destroyed 1958 Desoto like that, you'd be lucky to break even.

@andre1969 said: Holy Chrysler!! 1958 DeSoto Firedome convertible recently hit $192,000 at auction!

I remember years ago, seeing a '58 DeSoto Adventurer convertible at Hershey. I remember it as being sort of a greenish-gold color, but heavier on the green. It was one of the few surviving examples that had been equipped with fuel injection, that had not been converted back to dual quads. That had to have been extremely rare. I know there were only 82 Adventurer convertibles built in 1958, total. According to http://chrysler300country.com/rise_and_fall_of_fuel_injection.htm , 35 Chrysler 300D's, 12 Dodge D-500's, 5 DeSoto Adventurers, and 2 Plymouth Furys were equipped with fuel injection.

Hmm, in reading further into that page, it mentions that in 2002, a '58 DeSoto Adventurer convertible with the Bendix fuel injection was restored, and is supposedly the only driveable '58 Mopar with fuel injection left in existence today. So, I guess that's the one I saw! It also mentions that the original fuel injection system was removed and it was fitted with dual quads. However, the fuel injection parts were kept around in an attic, and re-united with the car 44 years later.

So, that takes a bit of mystery out of it for me. I had heard that every single one of the fuel-injected '58 Mopars had been recalled and refitted with dual quads. So for about a decade, I'd wondered how this one had slipped through the cracks. The answer...it didn't! The owner just lucked out, big-time, and found the fuel injection parts. Although that, in and of itself, is a bit of a miracle.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    edited September 9

The Firedome Convertible is beautiful. Really a great car representing cars that were actually on the road at that time. The colors are ones I liked on those Chrysler company cars. The story talks about SC and Tennessee. I wonder if the pictures were there because the background looks like some areas of the Smokeys. But the plates are Montana.

There used to be a '57 DeSoto Fireflite 4-door sedan that I'd see locally on occasion, that was a 2-tone green. The body was a dark green they called "Tamarack" I think. And memory's failing me, but the roof and spear were either a light, minty green, or possibly even white. Very nice car, I thought.

If I had my choice, I would've gotten my DeSoto in one of the blues or greens from that era, rather than its more stereotypical red and white. But, when shopping for a '57 DeSoto, 34 model years after they were built, I guess you can't be too picky!

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778

@andre1969 said: Pretty brutal price, but unless you're auto-crossing your classic Pontiac, or putting it through hard daily use, there's a good chance you'll only have to do it once. I can't remember how much a more generic brake drum would cost, in comparison. I do remember buying one for my '68 Dart and paying about 50 bucks I think. It was new, at the auto parts store. But this was also probably close to 20 years ago. I remember something on my '79 Newport costing about $90 apiece, but I think that was the front rotors. I dunno...been awhile now. That would have been 1997.

Interesting article Andre! Thanks for posting that.

I saw a beautiful Hudson pickup on the road today, just north of Medford. A very eye catching vehicle. Also saw lots of old metal quietly returning to the Earth along the way - it's a slow process here. I wouldn't doubt if some of these old things have been sitting for 50-60+ years.

If I was loaded, I'd like to take that Firedome and graft on the Chrysler 300 front end - perfect combo for me at least!

Saw a mint Studebaker Lark today, around a 62 I think. But it wasn't green and I didn't see Aunt Bea behind the wheel either.

Spotted a really nice green 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge on Rockwell Avenue near Ridgeway in NE Philly.