Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    For looks i like '62 and later Larks best, but boy there is not one inch of unnecessary length in those '59 and '60 models, is there?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    At least in that ad, I like the green color on the Lark.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    60's day today. In a 4 mile RT to Aldi's, I saw a sharp white '68 Impala 2 door (hidden headlights) that looked modded. a bit lower, nice sound, and newer wheels. While that was passing me (going other way) a gorgeous medium blue '69 Camaro passed me on the right while I was waiting to turn at a light. Then on the way home, a '65 Mustang coupe passed by.

and driving around my neighborhood while we were walking the dog, a guy down the street from me was out cruising around in his C2 Vette. Blue (same as Hoovies) 4 speed and side pipes convertible. Sounds really good.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

sda said:

I generally run errands on Saturday morning. I often force myself just to go out and drive around a bit, just to get out of the house. Been working from home since March 2020. I bought a ‘new to me’ 18 VW Passat on Oct 9, 2020 with 18409 mi and it now has 21290 miles, not even 3k in 7 months! My neighbor had his 73 Charger out yesterday. Medium purple, white half top and interior. It even has the factory sunroof which was open, ac, 318. It does have dual exhaust so it has a nice but not obnoxious rumble to it. Sharp car.

our RDX turned 14 months old last week. Was at about 5,800 miles at the time. barely getting our money's worth out of it.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Even by modern standards, it isn't really a big car. I need to snap a pic of that white one.

For looks i like '62 and later Larks best, but boy there is not one inch of unnecessary length in those '59 and '60 models, is there?

I've never seen that dark green on an early Lark; looks nice in the ad.
    Studebaker made its largest profit in its 107-year history in '59, and the Lark still sold well in '60 even with the Big Three competition.
    My hometown dealer friend said he had to hire a salesman in '59, a delightful dilemma for him.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    I wonder if, in some ways, the outdatedness of the Lark might have proven to be an asset? Studebaker didn't have the money to come out with an all-new compact design, so they simply took the existing "standard sized" cars, trimmed them as much as was practical, and came up with a compact. But, IIRC, most of the trimming was just done to wasted space. I think the Larks probably had about the same passenger volume as the '58 Studebakers. Trunk space probably suffered, though.

As a result, they were probably roomier inside than the Big Three compacts. Probably better headroom, and I'd imagine they were easier to get in and out of, than the newer cars. So that was probably a fairly big draw for them...a compact car that didn't feel quite so "compact".

I don't think the term "Intermediate" or "midsized" really came into use until the '62 Fairlane/Meteor, but I always thought of the '53+ Studebakers as more midsized, than their Ford, Chevy, and Plymouth counterparts. With exterior dimensions, they'd often look comparable, but I seem to recall the Studebakers tended to be a bit narrower inside. So it was probably easier to take a midsized car, trim some excess, and come up with a compact ,than it would have been to take a Ford, Chevy, or Plymouth, and try the same trick.

I like the reverse-slant C-pillar on that green Lark hardtop. For some reason, I always thought a reverse-slant C-pillar gave a car sort of an upscale, exotic look to it. Well the right car, at least. I'm sure there's examples out there where it doesn't work. I just can't think of any, off the top of my head. I'd imagine it's also better for visibility, for the back seat passengers, since a forward-slanting pillar is going to cut your view a bit, and make you lean forward and duck a bit, if you want to look out the window.
    edited May 2021
    I think the Lark offered useful advantages not available elsewhere in that size class; mostly interior space, smaller center hump, simple styling, V8, convertible body style in '60. Those were visible things. I don't know how many potential customers got hung up on king pins instead of ball joints, or the like. The trunks in those early Larks were pretty short. I remember a fair amount of '59's and '60's in our small town growing up, and I was born in '58 so I'm probably remembering them in the mid-sixties or even a bit later. I then remember a number of '62's, which echoes the national sales performance. I like Studebaker's '63 and '64 lineups best of all years, but of course by then the skids were wayyyy too greased.
    I've posted this car in the "Postwar Studebakers" thread before, but I would buy this car in a heartbeat and sell my '66 if it were available I think. '63 Cruiser with Skytop sunroof and optional broadcloth upholstery. I do know who the current owner is. Excuse the poor photography.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2021
    At the Gilmore Museum they were offering free rides around in some cars from their collection, including a convertible Caddy and Continental. My wife and I took a ride in the Continental around the large campus-farm-like setting. I couldn't remember for sure if I'd ever been in a Continental of that era, but the interior door handles seemed familiar. Did any other upscale Ford or Mercury cars use these?

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Did you like Gilmore? I thought it was pretty amazing.
    Definitely amazing! Huge.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Corvette Nomad?! That would be so cool.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

I couldn't see any upscale Fords using something like that, or even a Mercury, unless it was a really high-line Mercury, but I could be wrong. Usually, that type of interior release came with a full-length armrest, and those were usually reserved for luxury cars.
    In 1957, DeSoto Fireflites used a handle like that. They didn't have a full-length armrest, but they had one that was integrated into the door panel, and bulged out, giving it a more expensive look than your typical bolt-on armrest, which is what my Firedome has. Apparently they thought it was important enough to showcase in the sales brochure...

Of course, they don't mention that if you wanted it, you had to get the Fireflite. The brochure gives the impression that all DeSotos had it.

I think eventually, the Feds made the auto makers get rid of these types of handles, because they were TOO easy to grab. On my Firedome, it's just a chrome handle mounted at about a 45 degree angle, that you grab and pull back, and the door opens right up. No lock plunger, or anything. If you want to lock the door, you push the handle away from you. To modern drivers and passengers, it probably looks like a grab handle. My '67 Catalina has similar handles, although they're mounted a bit more horizontal. The Bonneville, which used a larger armrest, has the door handle coming straight, off the front of the armrest.

My guess is that it was 1968 that the Feds stepped in and put a stop to these types easy-release door handles. At least, looking at '68, the big Pontiac handles look like they're not quite as easy to just casually grab.

For some reason, I'm thinking the handles like what the Lincoln used (and the '57 Fireflite) were called "Aircraft style" door handles. Probably tied in with that "Jet Age" fetish the auto makers had back in the 50s?
    66 (and I assume 65 and 67 at least) Galaxie/LTD had the value priced version of that door handle - similar design with a lift from the front style, I recall this clearly in the 66 we had:

Unseasonably warm day today, not much out on the road when I was out, fintail stayed in. I did see a 70s Targa - maybe had AC, along with a resto mod looking ~70 Chevelle, also maybe had AC. Also a couple Mustangs, both 67-68, pretty 55 Mercury Monterey 2 door hardtop with windows down, a funky custom 70s F-series, chopped and shortened - looked like a cartoon car, and an 80s Toyota van.
    TPiR, June 1977. First up, this cool Blazer. This was decently optioned - 4x4, AC, automatic, tinted glass, tilt wheel, 31 gallon tank, tilt, PS, AM-FM, gauges, mirrors, etc, MSRP $7784. I don't think I have ever seen a squarebody Blazer with a soft top, they always seem to be wearing the hardtop. This thing as a pristine low miler today would be worth a considerable amount:

Then a game show staple, Buick Opel. Described as having stripes, steel belted radials, AC. MSRP $4361:

I know I grew up Chevy, but when they brought out the Blazer in '69, it seemed a step up in size and nice-ness from the Jeep, Scout, and Bronco (although I'm partial to early Scouts). Ford and Chrysler both subsequently did their own SUV's based on the pickup, like Chevy did.
    I've probably related this here before, but my Dad's friend went to order a new '73 Blazer. The top, and any seating besides the driver's bucket, were optional. He said he asked the salesman "Is the steering wheel optional too?". He ended up buying a Fleetside pickup with optional sliding rear window and put a cap on it.
    I gotta say, where i lived, the square body '73 trucks didn't seem to hold up, body-wise, as well as the '67-72. I used to see holes around the door handles on four-year-old ones. I plainly remember the first '73's had no rain gutters; about mid-year I started seeing them come in with them, too.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    That Opel was a terrible car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    kyfdx said:

It was a rebadged Isuzu. I liked the Opel Manta and GT but I think 75 was the last year the Manta was imported by Buick.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

kyfdx said:

Opel by Isuzu. Was a poor excuse for an Opel.

Isn't that particular Opel the same basic design as a Chevette, just perhaps not quite as bargain-basement? Basically, same thing as an I-Mark, Daewoo Maepsy or whatever they called it, and countless other variants?
    Same platform I think. Yup.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    edited May 2021
    GM's T platform (Chevette, etc. in the US) was sold in 15 countries, including the famous "Grumett Color" in Uruguay:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_T_platform_(1973)
    Nice, @andre1969 !

It looks like you should maybe take this opportunity to remove some of that dead/declining wood in the right foreground before there are more obstacles to work around...
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Garage will make a big difference. Good luck.

xwesx said:

Nice, @andre1969 !

It looks like you should maybe take this opportunity to remove some of that dead/declining wood in the right foreground before there are more obstacles to work around...

Thanks! That dead wood toward the right of the pic is a bit of an optical illusion. It's from a cherry tree that's actually pretty close to where I was standing when I took that pic, not in the way of the garage site. I had a tree crew come out last week, and they took down two good-sized trees in back, that were hanging over the garage site, and also had them take a big limb off the cherry, that was hanging back that way, as well. But the rest of the cherry tree is far enough away from everything, that even if it fell completely, it wouldn't hit anything. Even the limb I had taken off probably wouldn't have hit the new garage, but I didn't want to take any chances.

It will be nice to have it finished, and all of the cars over here. That way I can take pics of things a bit more interesting than that 5th Avenue!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    You had on the Bobcat sighting for a minute there. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Dang, was hoping for a Mercury Bobcat B)

Congrats on the Garage-Majal, hopefully it won't be impacted by the insane framing lumber spike.
    Metal pole barn I assume?

It's going to have metal sides and a roof, but wood framing, trusses, etc. And, unfortunately I did get hit with the lumber spike, to the tune of about $13,000! The total cost was about $26K, but the company is going to absorb half of that. I didn't have a problem with that initially, but then they tried to start rushing delivery, before I could get the trees taken down, and said that if I didn't take it then and there it would go up another $2500. At that point I almost said screw it, cancel it, I'll wait for the next recession!

Speaking of Mercury Bobcats, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. I think even at the Ford show in Carlisle PA, they're a rarity. They usually have a good turnout of Pintos, but not the Bobcat. Personally, I think the Bobcat would be a bigger draw, for the rarity, and also the kitch factor. The Pinto was just cheap, basic transportation for the most part, but the pretense of the Mercury trimming gives the Bobcat an odd sort of charm, in my opinion.
    I was looking for the critter. In the last few years they, along with coyotes, have become more common around here (suburban Dallas). Oh, and the armadillos!
    Supposedly we have bobcats (the feline variety) in Maryland, but I've never seen one in my area. I think they're somewhat common out in the more Western/hilly areas. My Mom and stepdad live in Southern MD, maybe 50 miles south of me, and they said one pops up every once in awhile.

The lady I bought the house from said she had seen a coyote on occasion, but I think she was just seeing things. About the most exotic thing I've seen is a really good-sized fox. I used to see them occasionally at the old place, and they were usually pretty small, about the size of a cat or small dog. My next door neighbor used to feed them! She could almost charm them out of the woods like Snow White or something! This one I saw looked considerably bigger, though.

There's also a few stray cats around here, and one of the neighbor's cats, a friendly, plump, overfed thing, comes over from time to time. I'd think if there was a coyote lurking around though, we wouldn't have stray cats running about!
    andre1969 said:

xwesx said:

Nice, @andre1969 !

Thanks! That dead wood toward the right of the pic is a bit of an optical illusion. It's from a cherry tree that's actually pretty close to where I was standing when I took that pic, not in the way of the garage site. I had a tree crew come out last week, and they took down two good-sized trees in back, that were hanging over the garage site, and also had them take a big limb off the cherry, that was hanging back that way, as well. But the rest of the cherry tree is far enough away from everything, that even if it fell completely, it wouldn't hit anything. Even the limb I had taken off probably wouldn't have hit the new garage, but I didn't want to take any chances.

It will be nice to have it finished, and all of the cars over here. That way I can take pics of things a bit more interesting than that 5th Avenue!
    Okay, great! That sounds like good site prep, plus all the other prep you had to perform just so they would let you build the thing in the first place.

I'm sure your cars will appreciate the extra love. You're making the new one a six-bay garage, right? :p
    When I was a young teen, an old guy who shared the alley with us had a pristine yellow-gold Bobcat wagon, woody - he was the grandfather of a friend, so I knew the owner in passing. Around 1988 or so, it got hit and totaled, and he replaced it with a new Sedan Deville with an ostentatious aftermarket grille, the Caddy was also yellow.

Gilmore? When I was there about 18 mos. ago, I was amazed I could get right up close to a Tucker, in fact put my head inside the driver's door window.
    edited May 2021
    From the Gilmore. I didn't get a side view of the deluxe Studebaker pick-up, but wikipedia had that view.

Those Coupe Express pickups are gorgeous. I have seen two or three at Studebaker meets over the years.
    C2 'Vettes don't do much for me, but this one on FB did!

Color, white interior, the special 427 hood, the five-slot Rally Wheels (yes, even though they were available on lower models!), the headrests....people have long-said the '67 is the best C2, for workmanship, by then had disc brakes, Turbo-Hydramatic, etc., the side vents are simplified and the rest of the styling cleaned up (no more fake vents behind the doors, etc.).
    I always wondered if the side pipes, even with that metal cover, were hot to the touch getting in and out of the car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

Those Coupe Express pickups are gorgeous. I have seen two or three at Studebaker meets over the years.
    C2 'Vettes don't do much for me, but this one on FB did!

Color, white interior, the special 427 hood, the five-slot Rally Wheels (yes, even though they were available on lower models!), the headrests....people have long-said the '67 is the best C2, for workmanship, by then had disc brakes, Turbo-Hydramatic, etc., the side vents are simplified and the rest of the styling cleaned up (no more fake vents behind the doors, etc.).
    I always wondered if the side pipes, even with that metal cover, were hot to the touch getting in and out of the car.

The covers made a big difference. You could still get burned from prolonged contact.

I love the C2 coupes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Speaking of Corvettes, saw a nice early C3 (metal bumpers) going the other way today.
    Car I remember most at Gilmore is their 2 door Lincoln Zephyr - I had never seen a 2 door in person before, only in pics and old ads. The slightly smaller size of the 2 door works, IMO:

I also recall the Airflow and Stude coupe pickup.
    I saw this thing on the road today, definitely obscure:

https://youtu.be/BVHJA9wVWAM

Also saw a clean 78-81 Celica notchback, the old guard may object, but they can probably be called "classics" now.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    While out running errands today I encountered a red/white '75 Laguna S3 in a parking lot. Seemed almost like a daily driver in that it looked like it needed a wash but not otherwise run-down.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Saw a great looking BMW 3.0 CS at lunch, in traffic, can't say the last time I've seen one.
    This is interesting - I decided look for that apparent DD Lark on Google street view. I can see it on the aerial photo, and on street view it isn't there, but apparently its owner is into using an old car for a regular vehicle.

In 2016, this was in its spot (also note the old RX-7 in the background, and the car at right is a Fiat 500 with a retro package):

In 2008, this was there:

And in 2007, a Stude:

Also a couple of 80s 300ZX across the street in a couple pics.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    @benjaminh
    I like seeing these photos of the museums I'll likely never get to go see.

But I'm curious as to your camera that you're getting all these great photos using?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,